As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trailer for [Dark Souls] sequel shown at VGA, PC and dedicated servers promised. *squeal!*

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    I'm kinda sad that the arena is 100 considering that 120 has been the de-facto PvP level since Demon's Souls.

Eh, 120 "worked" for DeSo because diminishing returns set in at 30 rather than 40 and stat requirements were far lower. You mostly saw lightning weapons in DaSo PvP was because it was the best way to fit vit on to your character and still be able to mix things up.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    I beat the butterfly, then headed all the way back to Firelink, saved, and then went to the Depths and rescued Laurentius. I then went back, without beating the Depths, and talked to him. So I upgraded my flame a bit and bought combustion. Does buying multiple copies of the spells enable me to cast twice the spells, while still having two spells attuned?

Each copy of a spell you have can be memorized, taking up additional attunement slots and granting additional casts. In an uncharacteristic bit of convenience, they actually stack up in the spell selection part of the HUD, so you have fewer to scroll through.

IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Shen wrote: »
    I'm kinda sad that the arena is 100 considering that 120 has been the de-facto PvP level since Demon's Souls.

Eh, 120 "worked" for DeSo because diminishing returns set in at 30 rather than 40 and stat requirements were far lower. You mostly saw lightning weapons in DaSo PvP was because it was the best way to fit vit on to your character and still be able to mix things up.

And 100 makes that even works in DaSo so the point stands.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Shen wrote: »

And 100 makes that even works in DaSo so the point stands.

Well it's only a problem if you aim for the 100 bracket rather than the 200 bracket. The only differences between an SL 120 character and an SL 200 character are the options available to them. If your build can beat any one build, it can beat a guy who can switch between them.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    while we're talking about stats, can I get suggestions on what to boost to be at least SOMEWHAT competitive when I'm level 100? I want to at least participate, even if I can't be an overpowered god.
    lF3F7.jpg

I play a pyromancer who uses a lot of spells mixed with dex-weapons like katanas and the occasional spear. I feel like my vit is too low, but my shield is pretty damn good so usually when I die it's my own fault. Past 5 levels I've just been pumping dexterity for damage with my +14 Iaito.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    I beat the butterfly, then headed all the way back to Firelink, saved, and then went to the Depths and rescued Laurentius. I then went back, without beating the Depths, and talked to him. So I upgraded my flame a bit and bought combustion. Does buying multiple copies of the spells enable me to cast twice the spells, while still having two spells attuned?

No. You can use two slots to get twice as many casts, though.

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Okay...so...anything bad about any of the bosses up until now that I might have said? Yeah. I take it all back. Bed of chaos is the worst. It's just....not fun. At all.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    I just have to decide between a DEX (or STR) build with pyromancy, or a faith build. Anyone have experience with the latter?

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    So hey, on a primary sorcerer, about how much Attunement is a good idea? And is it worth it to turn my Claymore Magic to get the int scaling even with the split damage?
    heenato wrote: »
    Okay...so...anything bad about any of the bosses up until now that I might have said? Yeah. I take it all back. Bed of chaos is the worst. It's just....not fun. At all.

Yup. Made me play another character rather than deal with it for a while. Bosses that open pits and then think that pushing you into them with hard-to-avoid attacks is hilarious are always annoying, and Bed of Chaos follows the pattern.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Drascin wrote: »
    Yup. Made me play another character rather than deal with it for a while. Bosses that open pits and then think that pushing you into them with hard-to-avoid attacks is hilarious are always annoying, and Bed of Chaos follows the pattern.
    I...honestly think I died more on the bed of chaos than any other boss. Even Capra. It's really the worst kind of gimmick boss.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Bed of Chaos is really making the game's "trek forever from the checkpoint for the privilege of getting two-shotted by a boss" predilection to whole new level of irritating.

• Options
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Bed of Chaos is really making the game's "trek forever from the checkpoint for the privilege of getting two-shotted by a boss" predilection to whole new level of irritating.
    I'd bet it's even worse if you don't have the chaos servant's shortcut open.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    MaytagMaytag Registered User regular
    I thought it seemed like a faster walk from the bonfire in between those demons in the lava to be honest.

3DS: 1392 - 5070 - 7853
  • Options
    I was going from the bonfire where you can meet solaire, down in the place with all the lava and the million undad dragon legs.

• Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular

You can open the chaos servant shortcut from the other side without even being in chaos servant

Makes it a lot easier. Though you do have to fight a titanite demon every time.

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    Behemoth wrote: »

You can open the chaos servant shortcut from the other side without even being in chaos servant

Makes it a lot easier. Though you do have to fight a titanite demon every time.
    I just ran past it. It only killed me like 3 times....

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    HedwirezHedwirez Registered User regular
    Just got back into Dark Souls and as advised a couple of pages ago, thought i'd try and keep things fresh by rerolling. Any advice on a PvE build/weapon combo to go for that will let me finish the game with the minimum of grinding? Was thinking pyro might be a good idea.

• Options
    WalkerWalker BlightyRegistered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    while we're talking about stats, can I get suggestions on what to boost to be at least SOMEWHAT competitive when I'm level 100? I want to at least participate, even if I can't be an overpowered god.
    lF3F7.jpg

I play a pyromancer who uses a lot of spells mixed with dex-weapons like katanas and the occasional spear. I feel like my vit is too low, but my shield is pretty damn good so usually when I die it's my own fault. Past 5 levels I've just been pumping dexterity for damage with my +14 Iaito.

Get your Dex up to 45 for fast pyro casting then pump rest into vitality which is currently way too low. Are you using the Bellowing Dragon Crest Ring ? It also boosts pyro as well as magic. With 45 dex and 40 vitality combined with bdcr you should be quite a formidable pyro wielding maniac. Use resins on your iato for extra badass power.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I completely forgot about spells and miracles. Do they refill in the same ways estus flasks?

• Options
    Big Isy wrote: »
    I completely forgot about spells and miracles. Do they refill in the same ways estus flasks?

Yeah, they refresh when resting at a bonfire.

• Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    Oh hey, a Halberd, not bad.

Just unlocked some door with a mystery key, letting some especially creepy paladin out. Somehow I think that's going to bite me in the ass.

• Options
    Upgraded the Astora's Straight Sword to +2, I can now 1 shot some of the knights in the Parish if I use a strong attack. What's more, I can do as much damage as with my Claymore, only attack much faster and don't run out of stamina after 2 swings. I know it's not tenable long term (it only goes up to +5), but for right now it's not bad. I'm definitely avoiding the Drake Sword though.

Er, anyway. I noticed that I can upgrade armor as well, but it er, doesn't seem to be worth it. I mean, I don't notice a dramatic improvement. Is that just because I have crappy armor, or is the name of the game glass cannons?

• Options
    Question - what happens if I engage in Jolly Cooperation with someone but die while a phantom? I kinda thought it'd be nice to throw my summon sign outside of Capra and give some help as I was helped, but I'm packing 16K souls (which at this level is a lot), am human, and have two extra humanity to boot. I don't want to lose everything!

• Options
    KiTA wrote: »
    Oh hey, a Halberd, not bad.

Just unlocked some door with a mystery key, letting some especially creepy paladin out. Somehow I think that's going to bite me in the ass.

I haven't got a clue where to use that key. And the halberd is fantastic

• Options
    Been farming what apparently are Baldur Knights. Got a full set of their gear -- knight shield, Baldur armor, and a Baldur sword. The Baldur Sword at +5 is doing as much damage as the Astora's Short Sword, only it's pure physical.

Can't quite wear all of the Baldur armor -- if I put on the top I can't roll. Going to grind a few more levels until I can roll with that on and try the Gargoyle again. I got him about down a bit but he got bugged and another one spawned, then they both started spamming fire on me. Will have to try again.

• Options
    Question - what happens if I engage in Jolly Cooperation with someone but die while a phantom? I kinda thought it'd be nice to throw my summon sign outside of Capra and give some help as I was helped, but I'm packing 16K souls (which at this level is a lot), am human, and have two extra humanity to boot. I don't want to lose everything!
    You don't lose anything luckily!

• Options
    Woot, first bell rung. I used humanity to kindle the flame so I'd have more flasks, and whammo, a gold summon thing was right in front of the boss this time. Jolly Cooperation?

Was doing ~200 a hit with a Lightning Enchanted Baldur's Side Sword.

Got an interesting drop -- a Gargoyle's Halberd. Not supremely strong right now, but weirdly enough, when I equip it I get a buff of some kind and when I unequip it, I get every status effect in the game for a split second. I guess it increases my defense against status effects?

• Options
    DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    So, I decided to shelve my thief for now 'cause I'm not very adept at parrying / backstabbing.

Restarted as a heavy armour ultra greatsword wielding bandit and am feeling alot less squishy.

A question:

How should I be using humanity consumables? Right now I'm just thinking of them as emergency healing, with the extra added benefit of humanity boost.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    when can i enchant weapons? i just beat the butterfly and gave andre some ember and i got an ember from behind the butcher in the depths

• Options
    WalkerWalker BlightyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    You buy the Magic Weapon spell off the sorcerer guy in Firelink Shrine (if you've freed him of course)

Walker on
  • Options
    Someone left a message atop the tower where a black knight resides, just as soon as you enter Undead Parish. It said "Ember". I was confused thinking I'd missed an ember there. But then quickly realised its probably a troll winding stupid people up. And succeeding. :(

I did get the Baldurs Armor though! Just need the helm to finish the set. I'm pump END too so I should be able to wear it. Eventually. Oh and I met Andre and the thing there. Not a friendly bugger at all.

• Options
    Yay, I helped someone beat Capra!

Now I really should get to beating Blighttown. To be honest, were it not for the Fire Keeper Soul in there, I'd just take the shortcut and go straight for Quelaag, but a Fire Keeper Soul is a Fire Keeper Soul...

• Options
    edited September 2012
    when can i enchant weapons? i just beat the butterfly and gave andre some ember and i got an ember from behind the butcher in the depths

To enchant a weapon with the embers (which, for future reference, is called "ascend" - otherwise people will think you're referring to the enchant weapon spells!) you need to give the embers to the blacksmith and then improve the weapon enough to ascend it. All ascension types require at least a +5 weapon (and some even require a +10). For example, that ember you found where the butterfly was allows you to employ the Divine ascension, which requires at least a +5 weapon and then taking it to Andre.

The one you found behind the butcher, on the other hand, allows you to take a +5 weapon and "ascend" it to the next level of upgrade, allowing you to thereafter upgrade it up to +10 normally.

Which way to go depends heavily on your stats.

Drascin on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Yay, I helped someone beat Capra!

Now I really should get to beating Blighttown. To be honest, were it not for the Fire Keeper Soul in there, I'd just take the shortcut and go straight for Quelaag, but a Fire Keeper Soul is a Fire Keeper Soul...

The Fire Keeper soul is in the shortcut. You won't miss it by skipping the normal descent route.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Dear god, GFWL is really, really shitty, isn't it?

• Options
    My friend needs to run some kinda cmd prompt to get dark souls to run every single time because of it.

We're lucky we even found that prompt, as we spent hours getting it to work on his pc before that.

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Yes it is, I just got kicked out of the game because for some reasons GFWL will not connect now.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular

To enchant a weapon with the embers (which, for future reference, is called "ascend" - otherwise people will think you're referring to the enchant weapon spells!) you need to give the embers to the blacksmith and then improve the weapon enough to ascend it. All ascension types require at least a +5 weapon (and some even require a +10). For example, that ember you found where the butterfly was allows you to employ the Divine ascension, which requires at least a +5 weapon and then taking it to Andre.

The one you found behind the butcher, on the other hand, allows you to take a +5 weapon and "ascend" it to the next level of upgrade, allowing you to thereafter upgrade it up to +10 normally.

Which way to go depends heavily on your stats.

oh, ok. thank you

i'm playing a mostly melee pyromancer, currently level 23
    vit 18
    att 12
    end 15
    str 16
    dex 15
    res 12
    int 10
    faith 8

• Options
    TheExAmTheExAm Gerrymandered your districts Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    Fuck YOU Iron Golem.

I think I've died 30 times on this guy and every time it's been to being knocked off the platform.

Oh well, at least I'm not taking a lot of durability damage.

I fought him yesterday, and it went like this:

I summoned a player, and he led me over to Iron Tarkus's summon sign. At the time, I didn't know for sure if you could have both human and NPC phantoms at once, so we did a complicated dance of gestures before I got his point, and then we went to battle. He got knocked off the edge of the tower about halfway through, and then somehow the golem got stunned and fell off after him. I got the victory credit and everything.

Tarkus knocked him right off and skipped the last third of the fight. I think that was about the point where I decided that yeah, I'm going to beat this game whatever it takes.

6Jx6HOg.png
    Battlemans: DiscoCabbage | Elite: Dangerous: Aleksandr Khabaj
  • Options
    krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Sweet, I thought I messed up Siegmeyers story progression (forgot to talk to him in Sens Fortress) - but I found him in Anor Londo and progressed it there. I love how the npcs add to the story of the world, but not necessarily the main plot.

edit - actually his daughter isn't showing up, so maybe i progressed to far since i killed Seath. hmm

krylon666 on
This discussion has been closed.