As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trailer for [Dark Souls] sequel shown at VGA, PC and dedicated servers promised. *squeal!*

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Why has my Zerihander disappeared from reinforcement at +5? That's not 'done', right? It's supposed to go up to +15? All the wikis I look at says I need large titanite shards to take a standard weapon to +10, and I have like 15 of those and 13k+ souls, but the sword is just not appearing on the menu.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    Why has my Zerihander disappeared from reinforcement at +5? That's not 'done', right? It's supposed to go up to +15? All the wikis I look at says I need large titanite shards to take a standard weapon to +10, and I have like 15 of those and 13k+ souls, but the sword is just not appearing on the menu.

You have to take it to Andre and have him 'modify' it up to +6, that option appears if you've given him the large ember. After it's +6 you can reinforce it up to +10 on your own, but to get it to +11 you need to take it to Andre again and have him modify it up to +11 with the very large ember.

• Options
    krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    So, I just went into the new content.
    The sanctuary guardian looks cool as hell. I tried cutting his tail but the fucker was way too fast. I opted to light him up with three crystal soul spears instead.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    By the way, how do you enter the DLC areas and stuff? I might want to visit there at some point and all...

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    I found her after killing Seath, in the forest behind the archives.

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    By the way, how do you enter the DLC areas and stuff? I might want to visit there at some point and all...

Beat the Hydra in Darkroot, free Dusk, get to the Duke's Archives, kill a new golem which drops an item.
    Once you have the Broken Pendant, go to the spot where Dusk's antiquated armour was and you'll get sucked in.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Aistan wrote: »
    Dac wrote: »

You have to take it to Andre and have him 'modify' it up to +6, that option appears if you've given him the large ember. After it's +6 you can reinforce it up to +10 on your own, but to get it to +11 you need to take it to Andre again and have him modify it up to +11 with the very large ember.

Large Ember is in Depths.
    Very Large Ember is in New Londo Ruins, after opening the seal (So you'll either need the Lordvessel or to kill Ingward, the latter of which is apparently buggy on PC, so... just beat Anor Londo first. You'll want good weapons anyways for the enemies there)

Coincidentally, the Darkwraiths in New Londo Ruins can drop both Titanite Chunks and Titanite Slabs.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Ingward can drop the key on PC, I killed him for it. I just saved right before and backed up my file. Then loaded it up and killed and confirmed I got the key.

• Options
    krylon666 wrote: »
    Ingward can drop the key on PC, I killed him for it. I just saved right before and backed up my file. Then loaded it up and killed and confirmed I got the key.

Yeah, it's just that it's possible he won't. So yeah, a backup would be a good idea. (Coincidentally, the current version of the res fix will do that for you)

Got a Great Scythe+14 and a Painting Guardian Sword+14. The latter let me carve the second DLC boss up easily by using Havel's armor for massive poise and just flailing away at him.

Got the Lord's Blade set, farmed up the 80k souls to max the chestpiece (8k/twinkling, 10 twinklings) in a short period (That scythe overkills the phalanxes easily with the 2h heavy attack, and takes out 4-5 each swing). It's got some sexy stats, but you have to kill someone for it...

Probably going to go kill the Stray Demon soon to get a slab and finish the scythe. Did finish the Dark Silver Tracer, so... a backstab or riposte will be ridiculously brutal (it has the best modifier in the game), and it can also toxic people with a couple quick pokes.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I just got invaded in a new game. I literally just kindled the Undead Burg Bonfire for the first time and mere minutes later "DarkCloud has invaded!" message appears. Fuck. Not a chance I was survivig that given he was level 44. And I was level 7. Now I know the game is supposed to be hard but that was not even a challenge. No backstabs were working and he appeared to be using a Cestus-like weapon. He was punching me..... from across the yard there.

• Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    Does anyone have any insight on exactly how to use the current version of DSFix's backups?

After accidentally murdering Elizabeth in the DLC last night (Protip: In the past, immobile, armless mushrooms are your friends) before my friend who was watching could warn me, I spent a good 45 minutes attempting to get GFWL to not recognized the backed-up saves as "corrupted" before just deciding to accept the consequences of my mistake and move on to getting buttfucked by the DLC's retardedly strong versions of the Stone Guardians.

Backing up the real save, and then renaming the DSFix backup to the same filename the real save previously had didn't seem to work for me at all.

IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    Hmm, I didn't bother turning on the DSfix backups. I've just been copy/pasting the files to a backup dir - and I've been able to restore the file no problem. I was thinking of setting up a file junction to dropbox too, but haven't got around to it (it saves versions of files).

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Gents, I'm having difficulty with one of the bosses, this necromancer motherfucker named Pinwheel. Any strategies for him? I'm only level 63, I might need to train a bit more.
    :bz

• Options
    Gents, I'm having difficulty with one of the bosses, this necromancer motherfucker named Pinwheel. Any strategies for him? I'm only level 63, I might need to train a bit more.
    :bz

Hate to break it you, but Pinwheel is a chump. You could beat him at level 10 if you got to him (Read: summon Leeroy, because he solos the rest of the area and Pinwheel easily).

Basically, just charge him and bash his face in, he's pretty squishy.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    He's just joking around.

• Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Getting invaded on a new character is challenging but not impossible. Just gotta have exceptional parries and a lot of practice at PvP under your belt. A lot of people invading newb areas are just dicking around anyway, and will do things like toss tons of knives at you. Totally possible to give them a good fight.

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular
    Big Isy wrote: »
    I just got invaded in a new game. I literally just kindled the Undead Burg Bonfire for the first time and mere minutes later "DarkCloud has invaded!" message appears. Fuck. Not a chance I was survivig that given he was level 44. And I was level 7. Now I know the game is supposed to be hard but that was not even a challenge. No backstabs were working and he appeared to be using a Cestus-like weapon. He was punching me..... from across the yard there.
    How do you know what level he was?

Steam Profile: Lork
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2012
    Yeah the one time I got invaded in a low level area the invader one shot the guy who was helping me, realized he was way stronger than us and switched to his fist. We danced around for a bit wailing on each other until I took him out.

Morkath on
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Lork wrote: »

There was a 44 next to his health bar.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular

Then his name was DarkCloud44. You can't see levels in online play.

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    Behemoth wrote: »

No the number was next to the bar itself. Not a part of the name.

• Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited September 2012

You can't see levels and a lvl 44 could not invade you cause you can only invade people of the same or higher level.
    Unless one of the covenants circumvents that.

Edit: Found it on the wiki. You can only invade people 10% under your level and infinity upwards. So he couldn't have been 44.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    Sokpuppet wrote: »
    Getting invaded on a new character is challenging but not impossible. Just gotta have exceptional parries and a lot of practice at PvP under your belt. A lot of people invading newb areas are just dicking around anyway, and will do things like toss tons of knives at you. Totally possible to give them a good fight.

A friend of mine has two low level Darkwraiths for this very purpose:

One, named Channeler, Is level I think 25, and invades in the Parish. He's got the full channeler's set and the channeler staff, and doesn't directly fight those he invades - he just uses the staff's jackass dance to buff the already-present enemies, and continually retreats as his minions are killed. If they're all beaten, he takes the death and gives the poor newbie some souls.

The other is Infector, who uses the jagged ghostblade for its cultist-like stabbing attacks, and has the egghead virus in full bloom. His goal is simply to spread the infection (though he's honestly unsure whether doing so works in PvP).

I wish cheating were better policed in these games, because man some people come up with some awesome stuff from its multiplayer :P

IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    Kainy wrote: »

A friend of mine has two low level Darkwraiths for this very purpose:

One, named Channeler, Is level I think 25, and invades in the Parish. He's got the full channeler's set and the channeler staff, and doesn't directly fight those he invades - he just uses the staff's jackass dance to buff the already-present enemies, and continually retreats as his minions are killed. If they're all beaten, he takes the death and gives the poor newbie some souls.

The other is Infector, who uses the jagged ghostblade for its cultist-like stabbing attacks, and has the egghead virus in full bloom. His goal is simply to spread the infection (though he's honestly unsure whether doing so works in PvP).

I wish cheating were better policed in these games, because man some people come up with some awesome stuff from its multiplayer :P

HAHAHAHA. I love that - just being an ass and buffing the enemies. I'm guessing he gets a lot of kills from the hall with the hollow slaves or whatever (Where the channeler is normally!)

• Options
    edited September 2012
    I ran into a guy in the New Londo Ruins who had dropped an item on the ground and was basically playing capture-the-flag with it. Or keep-away, maybe.

I um... adopted his strategy as a mindgame and started dropping indictments in the ghost room just before the Four Kings fog door, then hiding in the area. People are incredibly huge suckers for a glowing treasure icon in the darkness....

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I ran into a guy in the New Londo Ruins who had dropped an item on the ground and was basically playing capture-the-flag with it. Or keep-away, maybe.

I um... adopted his strategy as a mindgame and started dropping indictments in the ghost room just before the Four Kings fog door, then hiding in the area. People are incredibly huge suckers for a glowing treasure icon in the darkness....

I like this. I think I should find a more troll item for it though. Prism stones, I think. Why give them a means to punish me? (Not that you can punish Darkmoons)

Polaritie on
  • Options
    Klyka wrote: »

You can't see levels and a lvl 44 could not invade you cause you can only invade people of the same or higher level.
    Unless one of the covenants circumvents that.

Edit: Found it on the wiki. You can only invade people 10% under your level and infinity upwards. So he couldn't have been 44.

Yeah it was likely the hit point indicator. You know the number that quickly pops up indicated the amount of damage you're doing. He was probably just confused or something. :bz
    I think I got away with it!

• Options
    edited September 2012
    I'm pretty sure the channeler buff only affects allies, and the enemies aren't allies as far as I know. But I do like doing weird / fun / mean stuff when I invade low levels. Throwing dung pies has been a recent favorite, which is extra mean combined with lloyds talismans (sorry).

edit - anyone know if killing Marvellous Chester (merchant in new content) has any negative consequences?

krylon666 on
  • Options
    krylon666 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the channeler buff only affects allies, and the enemies aren't allies as far as I know. But I do like doing weird / fun / mean stuff when I invade low levels. Throwing dung pies has been a recent favorite, which is extra mean combined with lloyds talismans (sorry).

edit - anyone know if killing Marvellous Chester (merchant in new content) has any negative consequences?

I don't believe so, besides losing his services. He doesn't sell anything unique, but he's handy.

Well, cleared Duke's Archives out, just need to do Crystal Caves. During the must-lose fight, it seems he eventually performs an auto-kill attack that just instantly hits the whole room for insane damage.

Also, I completed destroyed the Four Kings. By which I mean I killed them so fast I was waiting 10+ seconds for the next to spawn. Great Scythe+15 with Great Magic Weapon applied. Havel's Armor for poise bonuses, with Mask of the Child both for stamina regen and staying under 50%.

• Options
    NoquarNoquar Registered User regular
    I must suck. 12 tries at the Gaping Dragon and the closest I have gotten it is 2 bars left. I am stuck in some serious suck.
    I don't really know if this should be spoilered - this is with both Solaire and Lautrec summoned. Someone on GFWL suggested only bringing one, but everything else says this should be an easy fight with them.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Noquar wrote: »
    I must suck. 12 tries at the Gaping Dragon and the closest I have gotten it is 2 bars left. I am stuck in some serious suck.
    I don't really know if this should be spoilered - this is with both Solaire and Lautrec summoned. Someone on GFWL suggested only bringing one, but everything else says this should be an easy fight with them.

Only bring one, or neither. Bringing them means it gets more health, and they love to eat its heavier attacks too. Lautrec will last far longer than Solaire, but if Solaire somehow survives you get a Sunlight medal (only matters if you're going Warrior of Sunlight - if you want to trade with Snuggly there's three in a chest in Anor Londo and you only need one).

Also, lightning damage is good against it (and basically anything else that looks like a dragon), so if you have the resins from Undead Burg still, use one as it starts charging (after being out of the way) and it should increase your damage greatly.

Polaritie on
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    So, some dude over at Reddit did something, and brought us the faces of our companion NPCs.

My favorites:

Lautrec:
    HfvUbh.jpg

Mildred:
    B2l4lh.jpg

Tarkus:
    And of course, Solaire:
    jELDWh.jpg

In other news, DSFix 1.1 is now out, haven't tried it myself. Here's a screenshot though:

http://abload.de/image.php?img=screenshot_2012-09-09b1swb.png

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Anyone know how much durability damage the Acid Surge pyromancy inflicts? I'm wondering if I can use as part of a evil pvp setup - just break their weapon (especially katana users!) and/or armor on them and charge while they're helpless.

Edit: Also, Four Kings can become Five Kings. I'm serious - something weird happened and the overall boss bar had a tiny sliver left... and a fifth one spawned. I'm positive I'd already killed four, too.

Polaritie on
  • Options
    MetaHybridMetaHybrid Taste defeat!Registered User regular
    edited September 2012

The best time to attack is after the slamming attack with its' front body. The one where it's standing on it's hind legs. It will keep still for a few moments after this attack. Just always attack it from the side, since it always seems to charge forward afterwards.

MetaHybrid on
    3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
  • Options
    MetaHybrid wrote: »

The best time to attack is after the slamming attack with its' front body. The one where it's standing on it's hind legs. It will keep still for a few moments after this attack. Just always attack it from the side, since it always seems to charge forward afterwards.

Actually, after the charge is better - it sits still for a few seconds, then slowly gets up - you should have no trouble unloading two full bars of stamina safely.

• Options
    Durante is a true gentleman.

He has changed the game from this: http://i.imgur.com/HAOtU.jpg
    To this: http://i.imgur.com/TW6s6.jpg

Not only that, he has given us:
    SMAA
    SSAO
    DOF Management
    Cursor Fix
    Splash Screen fix
    Save-game auto-backup
    HUD Toggle

You'd have to be a less than classy gentleman to not donate to this man. He pretty much gave us the PC Port we wanted.

• Options
    I always kind've thought of getting idicted as a reward for a job well done.
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Anyone know how much durability damage the Acid Surge pyromancy inflicts? I'm wondering if I can use as part of a evil pvp setup - just break their weapon (especially katana users!) and/or armor on them and charge while they're helpless.

Quite a bit. Takes about 2 casts to chew through Havel's, but it's a challenge to make sure they're inside of it for long enough to matter.

• Options
    NoquarNoquar Registered User regular

Only bring one, or neither. Bringing them means it gets more health, and they love to eat its heavier attacks too. Lautrec will last far longer than Solaire, but if Solaire somehow survives you get a Sunlight medal (only matters if you're going Warrior of Sunlight - if you want to trade with Snuggly there's three in a chest in Anor Londo and you only need one).

Also, lightning damage is good against it (and basically anything else that looks like a dragon), so if you have the resins from Undead Burg still, use one as it starts charging (after being out of the way) and it should increase your damage greatly.

I still have some resin. I'll give it a whirl again after farming up some more humanity.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Honestly, it's an easier fight when you DON'T bring a phantom. I'll put my strategy for this fight in spoilers, in case you don't want to hear it.
    Keep your distance, and when it lowers it's head to charge, immediately start making a wide circle behind it. It cant turn while it's charging, so it's very easy to get behind it, get a few hits in, then back off. Back far enough away, and it will try to charge again. Sometimes it will jump. Just roll away a few times.

In other news, I MAY have fixed my summoning problem. Either that, or it was just a REALLY happy co-incidence. I didn't try it out more than once, but it was on the second try after 1 summon failed that I was able to summon someone to help me. And now the tomb of the giants is finished. Which means I've cleared out all 4 of those areas.

Also, the 4 kings are such a huge joke.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular

I still have some resin. I'll give it a whirl again after farming up some more humanity.

It's big and slow, you can kill it with ranged attacks. You have a giant arena to run around in and all the time in the world. Just haul ass in giant circles until it slams itself into the ground, then shoot at it for a bit until it starts advancing again.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
This discussion has been closed.