Options

Trailer for [Dark Souls] sequel shown at VGA, PC and dedicated servers promised. *squeal!*

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    i beat the gaping dragon on my second try with two human phantoms. One of them, a sunbro, perished, but the other, a shirtless knight, wailed on the one side while I attacked its tail and other side.

I'm now in the depths with somewhere around 40k souls and 3 or 4 humanity. How in the hell do I get out of here? I don't think it is a goo idea to into a new area with that stuff. Is there any way to get back to Firelink?

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    So I'm kinda interested in getting this.

I know the Durante fix is needed, but is there anything that fixes the controls? I saw a mouse fix mod on the Steam forums, but other than KB+M my only option is a wired PS3 controller.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    MetaHybridMetaHybrid Taste defeat!Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Use a Homeward Bone. It will send you to the last Bonfire you rested at, with no penalty. It won't send you to Firelink, but it will help.

There is also a good shortcut in Lower Undead Burg leading back to Firelink. It's very close to the door you unlock to get to the depths.

MetaHybrid on
    3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
  • Options
    bigwillchbigwillch Registered User regular
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    So, some dude over at Reddit did something, and brought us the faces of our companion NPCs.

This is great. I wonder whether they just used random face generators for making the models, or actually put some thought in, because to my eyes they all seem to match the characters really well.

fss.png
    xbox GT: Big Will C H
  • Options
    according to this one youtube video, i can just walk right out the way i came in somehow . man, i sure do get disoriented.

• Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Arthil wrote: »
    So I'm kinda interested in getting this.

I know the Durante fix is needed, but is there anything that fixes the controls? I saw a mouse fix mod on the Steam forums, but other than KB+M my only option is a wired PS3 controller.

You can get a wired PS3 controller working fine, I have a friend who did it.

Unfortunately the tutorial was in the steam forums, and that thread has been destroyed with the new community stuff. I think it was a 360 controller emulator or something?

e: Oh, nevermind here it is

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Has anyone been having odd things happening with the darkmoon blades covenant? Specifically, getting invaded by them when you don't have any sin in the book of the guilty?

• Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    Motioninjoy does all that stuff fine, and has proper signatures now so there's no mucking around in debug mode and the like. I'm using it with a Dual Shock 3 and a USB cable with no problems whatsoever. Well, no problems except the controller turning on the PS3 if I unplug it.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    holy christ, Ceaseless Discharge was the most rewarding boss to kill yet.
    He killed me and then immediately got me again before I could recover my body, so I decided I was on a non-stop mission to kill him since I had nothing to lose. Took me like 20 tries, never getting him below 80%, and I finally got him locked in a pattern where he'd swing at me with his tentacles, I'd roll away and take no damage, and get in 2-3 strikes for like 650 damage. Repeat several times, with a few range fuckups that caused him to do the fire attack and make me drink a flask, and I finally beat him down with a single flask left.

The darkroot boss was kinda disappointing, though.
    The wolf. Sif, I think? Just stayed under his body since I figured his GIANT SWORD couldn't hit there due to his legs and kept poking him with my +5 lightning Winged Spear. Only got hit in my health bar twice.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    when I played through the game on PS3, I killed the Capra Demon on the first try. No fuss at all and always wondered why he was the subject of the most agony I've ever seen from fans of a game.

This playthrough, I literally cannot even get by him to try to get up the stairs and get some space to kill the dogs. Him and the dogs rush me so fast and I can't squeeze by in time.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    I had the same problem. No sweat first time, hell on earth this time. I managed it this time by actually running diagonally forward and right, when the Capra and stairs dog get close jump and then jink left and up the stairs. They won't be far behind though.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Wasting invaders' time is my new favorite thing to do in Dark Souls. I was hanging out by the Anor Londo castle bonfire while my friend was trying to get his summon sign to appear in my world, when I get invaded. No big deal, i'll kill this guy or die and be back and human in no time. Only, I decide to have some fun instead.

He comes running down the corridor at me, I duck into a side room and shut the door in his face. He opens it, I bop him in the face with my shield and shut it again, occasionally dropping one of the DLC's message stones to say 'i'm sorry' or 'thank you'. I must have spent 20 minutes dancing around with him like this, until he got sloppy and let me slip around to backstab him with my Lifehunt Scythe (however the hell that is supposed to work), killing him.

Seriously, probably the most i've laughed while playing this game. His pissed off messages after made it even better.

Whatever, buddy, you invade me with the intent to murder me, i'll do whatever I can to make that experience as unenjoyable as possible for you.

• Options
    Okay so where's a good place for guides? Got the game downloadin' on Steam at the moment.

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Arthil wrote: »
    Okay so where's a good place for guides? Got the game downloadin' on Steam at the moment.

I rarely suggest how people should approach something but I recommend going in as green as possible, at least in regards to the world and exploration anyway.

One tip though that everyone should know, dont put anything into resistance.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    new version of the resolution fix looks phenomenal.

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Here's a good wiki on it: http://darksouls.wikidot.com/

I do agree with Immortal on not looking up too much on the world, the exploration and cautiously trying strategies on new enemies is what Dark Souls is all about. The game mechanics are pretty complicated though and I don't regret one bit reading up on that. I also found the picture someone posted on the general progression order to be a godsend as I really, really, don't have enough time for games anymore and trying all the paths to find which area to visit next was quite time consuming.

So you know, to each his own.

Movitz on
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Okay dudes.

Think I'm gonna start off as a Bandit.

When the Durante fix says to move the contents into the DATA folder, does it mean the folder or dump all of them into there?

Arthil on
  • Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    You probably want to have the files in there so the game can find them, normally you overwrite some files as well in these kind of fixes.
    I'm on the PS3 though so.

ed: I looked at the zip. Just open it, select all the files and drag them into the game folder.

Movitz on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    DATA.exe, not folder. You want the dinput8.dll and config files at the same place as the executable so that Windows will properly link them.

• Options
    Thanks, the README wasn't quite as clear.

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Just upgraded my gargoyle halberd to +10 lightning. Even got an achievement for it. Now to figure out which enemy butt this is going into first.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Hm. Unsure of whether to advance or stay here and see about helping people with bosses. It's a pity I can't set my summon sign near the Gaping Dragon and stay near the bonfire farming green titanite at the same time.

Also, probably should get the new resolution patch. I was still at 0.6 because that one worked perfectly with me.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Well, finally killed the Bed of Chaos. And apparently having done that without having met Quelana means I don't get to make her appear? Goddammit. How do I ascend my Pyromancy Flame now?

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    The warps in this game are fucked. Why are the points at Sanctuary Garden and Oolacile Sanctuary both warpable when they're right next to each other, yet there's not a single warp anywhere in the demon ruins and beyond? (Though I wouldn't be surprised if someone told me there's a hidden warpable bonfire behind a god damned hidden wall or something.)

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    The warps in this game are fucked. Why are the points at Sanctuary Garden and Oolacile Sanctuary both warpable when they're right next to each other, yet there's not a single warp anywhere in the demon ruins and beyond? (Though I wouldn't be surprised if someone told me there's a hidden warpable bonfire behind a god damned hidden wall or something.)

Every bonfire in the DLC is warpable, that's all.

As to Demon Ruins, there's a shortcut lift right past Demon Firesage that links to the room right outside the Chaos Servant warp. Lost Izalith eventually opens a shortcut to the area directly before the Demon Firesage room. Not sure if Lost Izalith's bonfire is warpable.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Yeah, I know about the elevator, but it's still pretty annoying to go the roundabout. The Chaos warp is helpful... and I wouldn't have known about it if I hadn't watched my brother play, who takes smacking at random walls to new levels of artform. Otherwise, it would've been the old Firelink->Ruins->VoD->Blighttown->farglebargleffffffff rigmarole. Ugggggghhh.

• Options
    Well that was fun, five hours just disappeared.

Got to Level 21, just killed the dude with the massive shield and big hammer+the magic asshole on the second floor. I'm kind of cheesing it, since I'm using the Drake Sword which I knew about but I figure since it's my first time it wont hurt. Helped when I suddenly got invaded right as I began to fight the big dude though. Killed him before the invader showed up, but they were blatantly a Pyromancer. Funnily enough though their aim SUCKED, they had that same over the top chaos spell that Helloween does in his LP, but they never got a direct hit on me with it. Eventually was able to make them waste all their Pyromancy and force it into swordplay, where I won.

• Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    the thing with the warps is that they are all tied to covenant.
    or were. or something.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Sokpuppet wrote: »
    or were. or something.
    Nope. almost every area has 1 warpable bonfire. At least from what I've seen. The only ones that don't, seem to be the burg, the catacombs, demon ruins, and lost izalith.Luckily these ones are very near a covenant bonfire, so it's usually not that long a walk.

Well, technically the new londo ruins too, but that doesn't have a bonfire period.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Anor Londo has 3 warpable bonfires which is kinda nuts.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    how high of a level is too high if i just beat the gaping dragon and ran back to firelink? i restarted partly because i could never find anyone to summon, because i am awful at this game and spent hours grinding for humanity when i couldn't beat capra or the butterfly on my own. my pyromancer is level 23 right now.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    I couldn't seem to summon anyone for the life of me, yet I got an invader.

Hmmmn...

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Do you see messages on the floor?

• Options
    Glal wrote: »
    Do you see messages on the floor?

Yep, they all kept failing. Maybe it wasn't on my end?

• Options
    heenato wrote: »
    or were. or something.
    Nope. almost every area has 1 warpable bonfire. At least from what I've seen. The only ones that don't, seem to be the burg, the catacombs, demon ruins, and lost izalith.Luckily these ones are very near a covenant bonfire, so it's usually not that long a walk.

Well, technically the new londo ruins too, but that doesn't have a bonfire period.

The warpable bonfires are (or were, anyway) the ones with firekeepers. Most of the firekeepers are tied into a faction in some way.

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    how high of a level is too high if i just beat the gaping dragon and ran back to firelink? i restarted partly because i could never find anyone to summon, because i am awful at this game and spent hours grinding for humanity when i couldn't beat capra or the butterfly on my own. my pyromancer is level 23 right now.

I forgot, but are you on PC or PS3? If on PC, check on the GFWL dashboard, all the way to the right, go to settings, then to network information. Upnp has to be "available" and NAT has to be "Open". Otherwise you'll just get failed invasions/summons.

• Options
    I play games on ps3.

I'm doing OK with summons on my second character. I stopped playing the first character at level 33 or something and still hadn't killed Capra or the Butterfly.

I will check my NAT type though, just for the heck of it... it is Type 2. What does that mean?

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular

The warpable bonfires are (or were, anyway) the ones with firekeepers. Most of the firekeepers are tied into a faction in some way.
    Well, Tomb of the giants has a warpable bonfire, and the closest NPC to that is patches. And I'm pretty certain he's not tending that fire.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    heenato wrote: »

Well, Tomb of the giants has a warpable bonfire, and the closest NPC to that is patches. And I'm pretty certain he's not tending that fire.

is it anywhere near the gravelord thingy? maybe Nito's chilling somewhere nearby or something.
    or maybe it's simply not a hard-and-fast rule.

• Options
    I still haven't done a thing with all of these souls. Mo' money mo' problems!

I'm kind of holding onto the chain armor because I saw the Eastern set on the wikidot and sort of want to rock that. I really like the completely trashed pyromancer outfit a lot, but I don't wear it often.

This discussion has been closed.