Options

Roguelikes - Where The Most Fun Is Dying

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Motherfuck Spelunky

• Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    In the next Dwarf Fortress update you're going to be able to see tracks on the ground and use them to find people/monsters. Also it is going to have sight areas and sound indicators for things you can't see directly.

Basically a text based version of Metal Gear Solid: Mideval edition once it hits.

Also adventure mode vampires will have the ability to see living creatures line of sight or no.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    I really like Roguelike Casuals. I really really like Roguelikes, but just can't do the text display.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Casuals? Like iOS versions?

I can dig that.

Still playing Catacylsm. My latest character found a gun store. I'll see if that actually helps any. So far I have shot a squirrel.

• Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    Brogue is a good one. It has ASCII graphics as per tradition, but somehow also manages to be reasonably pretty. It also streamlines the interface quite a bit, and is really easy to get into.
    [url=https://sites.google.com/site/broguegame/[/url]Brogue[/url] is the only Roguelike I've enjoyed. It was linked in the first Roguelike thread and I still play it! They actually do weekly contests on the forums which are a lot of fun.

4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    Dang, I died. Got pretty far, and was exploring a science lab when I got killed by a manhack.

It really helped that I'd found a military surplus store, though.

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Building Cataclysm right now.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    Awesome. Be sure to play the tutorial, since the game has some slight differences from the standard roguelike.

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Having trouble getting it to compile and I can't be bothered to figure out why tonight. I'll look at it more tomorrow, I guess. Anyone else built Cataclysm on a Mac?

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    premiumpremium Registered User regular
    Going to give this Cataclysm thing a go tonight since I keep seeing it mentioned.
    Should I expect to miss some sleep tonight?

• Options
    Maybe? It's a bit difficult to get into. I'm still dying regularly, but learning bits as I go.

Be sure to wear a backpack as soon as you find one. Otherwise you won't be able to get anywhere.

• Options
    Managed to burn myself to death playing around with the gasoline pump in the second room of the tutorial. So far so good!

• Options
    I'm managing to survive longer and longer in my games. Still haven't made it past the first day.

Actually I bet my first character did make it past the first day. Past all the vomiting and unconciousness.

• Options
    Oh hey. Don't go to the hospital. Ever.

• Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Also the megastore.

My last character lucked out by spawning next to some gun stores. The first had an AK, but no ammo for the AK, and the second had AK ammo. Feeling somewhat secure in my self-defense, I went a-wandering over to the unexplored area of the map. After somehow luckily just walking right past a bunch of landmines on the road, I see a megastore. Before I can get in, fifty zombies pour out.

I shoot them with my AK for a while, but the combination of not being very accurate and not knowing how to change the gun to full-auto means that I quickly run out of ammo, and can't reload without them interrupting me.

So I led them back to the minefield. Sure I died, but I took some of 'em with me!

• Options
    So, I usually play random characters, because they're more fun. I like to take a look at what the game gave me, though.

So I generate a new guy. Name's Matthew Harris. He is trained in cutting weapons, general firearms, handguns, shotguns, rifles, grenade launchers, cooking, tailoring, and carpentry.

Positive traits? Robust genetics, light step, night vision.

Negative? Schizophrenia.

I am survivalist as fuck.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Well my character is dressed like a fucking moron but at least he seems well covered...
    Jeans, boots, polo shirt, utility vest, and a leather jacket.

premium on
  • Options
    And now some cargo pants overtop of the jeans because that's how I roll.

• Options
    So that guy I just described? Immediately outside the shelter I find a bunch of dead military guys. I manage to find a gas mask, steel-toed boots, army pants, and a bunch of other things (including a silencer!)

But the best thing? A goddamn grenade launcher. And only four grenades, one of which I use to blow up a squirrel.

Then I got swarmed by zombies and killed, but still. I've been to that area before, so if I spawn at that shelter again I'll know where to get some decent-ass equipment.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I should finish up my nethack game now that my side project with it is done. I'm at the wizard tower so not much left to go

• Options
    Cataclysm does, in fact, let you drink bleach.

I don't recommend it.

• Options
    There are so many rats. Why are there so many rats. I don't have enough bullets for all these rats.

• Options
    My game just has a lot of squirrels.

Also, I managed to find not one, but two of my previous characters' corpses. Good thing too, they both had good shit on 'em.

• Options
    I found a rat king. He had about 500 rat friends that all broke themselves on my legs. Also I'm 99% sure I'm being repeatedly mutated down here because I just gained sunlight dependent and my ugly turned into deformed...

• Options
    Good lord.

I've only got mutations from drinking mutagen. It gave me chitinous armor.

Which didn't help at all against a turret, but hey.

• Options
    Things are not looking so good. I am eating and drinking like crazy but not getting out of Very Hungry/Thirsty territory. Also I found a portal generator, which I am very excited to see what that does.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Moriveth wrote: »
    So, I usually play random characters, because they're more fun. I like to take a look at what the game gave me, though.

So I generate a new guy. Name's Matthew Harris. He is trained in cutting weapons, general firearms, handguns, shotguns, rifles, grenade launchers, cooking, tailoring, and carpentry.

Positive traits? Robust genetics, light step, night vision.

Negative? Schizophrenia.

I am survivalist as fuck Pony.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Passed out in some house half dead from fighting rats and zombies all day. Woke up the next morning to a smashed up room surrounded by zombies. At least I lived a full day!

• Options
    Nice. My current guy is super pissed because he had to walk through the rain. Then acid rain.

• Options
    Aaaannnndd that's enough dying for tonight. Hint: if you see a bunch of dirt mounds moving towards you there are probably giant worms and graboids about to ruin your shit.

• Options
    premium wrote: »
    Aaaannnndd that's enough dying for tonight. Hint: if you see a bunch of dirt mounds moving towards you there are probably giant worms and graboids about to ruin your shit.

:^:

Vehicles are weird in this game. Kinda like that they're in it, though. Also, you can apparently build your own, which is mega-rad.

• Options
    Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Castle of the Winds.

CASTLE OF THE WINDS.

It is like a roguelike but with saving and its based almost entirely on Norse mythology. Want to fight some fucking Jotuns? This is your chance.

This was my fucking childhood. I found this game on a three-by-five in a bin at Futureshop in like 1993.

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • Options
    Oh man, I'm ashamed I left that out.

• Options
    I am so proud that I introduced that game to you ages ago. You were the one to get me to try nethack, fyi.

<3s, Mori

• Options
    I had to look and see if the graphics were the same as I remembered.

Yup.

The muscle-guy avatar still cracks me up.

• Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    Castle of the Winds.

CASTLE OF THE WINDS.

It is like a roguelike but with saving and its based almost entirely on Norse mythology. Want to fight some fucking Jotuns? This is your chance.

This was my fucking childhood. I found this game on a three-by-five in a bin at Futureshop in like 1993.

I PLAYED THIS GAME AS A CHILD!!

I had no idea what a roguelike was. I just thought I was really bad at the game.

• Options
    Here is how you win Castle of the Winds.

Boost intellect and shun dexterity. Constitution and strength should be moderate to enable you to survive a few hits and wear some heavier armors.

Magic missile as your first spell.

Buy every spellbook.

Shoot the living fuck out of every living thing until it isn't living anymore.

Doubledown when it comes to the undead.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    I should finish up my nethack game now that my side project with it is done. I'm at the wizard tower so not much left to go

I hate that fucking Wizard.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    I think I've only died to the Wizard once, but he still annoys when he manages to dodge three zaps from wand of death and then has enough time to summon 17 monsters.