As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Roguelikes - Where The Most Fun Is Dying

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    I have a save file of some Wizard that was about to ascend in Nethack but never got around to doing so. Ascended with the Monk though.

I need to play more roguelikes I think.

Although I only classify roguelikes as 'Games with instadeath where you lose after 5 minutes of a paused game and a furrowed brow, only to afterwards realise that you had the answer to your predicament right there'.
    FTL, Nethack and Dungeons of Dredmor being roguelikes then, and Binding of Isaac, Rogue Legacy and Crypt of the Necrodancer are not, as the latter have significant execution challenges (bullet avoidance, timing, platforming, etc.).

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    Look what I finally accomplished!

142rk6.jpg

Just for the record, the number of deaths is a bit misleading - the vast majority of those came in Speedlunky attempts. I didn't even attempt to defeat Yama until a couple weeks ago. I'd never even visited Hell previously. (And yes, I was actually trying to get the Speedlunky achievement before even beating the game regularly.)

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    I think once you can get to hell reliably, actually finishing becomes a much easier task. I beat Yama on my second trip to hell.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    the endgame in nethack is a big of a drag in certain points but it's still my favorite roguelike. I couldn't get into crawl at all. I want to like z/angband but the endgame is such a complete bore, I don't see how anyone can complete it. even when I cheat it's not worth the headache.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I've been playing Tales of Maj'Eyal a fair amount recently after trying it a couple years ago.
    I'm currently in the middle of a surprisingly good Dwarf Berserker run. I'm lvl 15 haven't died once though I've had a couple close calls. Normally the melee classes don't go well for me at all, but I had a string of good 2hander upgrades and item drops from bosses. In a couple levels this guy will surpass my best ever run which was a summoner.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    facetious wrote: »
    Look what I finally accomplished!

142rk6.jpg

Just for the record, the number of deaths is a bit misleading - the vast majority of those came in Speedlunky attempts. I didn't even attempt to defeat Yama until a couple weeks ago. I'd never even visited Hell previously. (And yes, I was actually trying to get the Speedlunky achievement before even beating the game regularly.)

Is that a 7:09 Yama speedrun? Very well-done. I got a 3:37 normal speedrun but am just not quite good enough to handle shopkeepers in a timely enough manner to attempt a Yama speedrun.

I did finally manage to kill Yama with the plasma cannon though, which had been on my list of dumb shit to do. Next up is a Krisknife Yama kill, which is more totally up to RNG than anything else. I think the amount of times I've seen obtainable Hedjet + Krisnife in a seed is fewer than 10 of my thousand (knowing full well I didn't make it into the caves in probably 2/3 of those) but it's still something I want to do. I've also wanted to try to turn Yama's dumb head into an ice cube just to see if it works, but I'm not sure it's worth the whole rigamarole to get a freeze ray into Hell versus the plasma cannon.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Okay so

I'm playing Spelunky

I get through the mines without any real trouble. Pick up a jetpack along the way.

Rob a couple shops in the jungle, snatching up a shotgun at the last minute before reaching the level with the black market.

Spend a few minutes clearing out most of the shopkeepers, get the ankh and escape unscathed.

Get to the ice caves in one piece, kill myself to get into the moai, take the hedjet. Survive through to the temple.

Against all odds, manage to survive with the scepter and get into the city of the gold.

a feat I've only ever accomplished once before, at least a year ago, and did so then with zero bombs left.

This time I have five.

So!

I bust into the book chamber. Anubis 2 tries to stop me.

I use up the last of my bombs to kill him (and nearly die to skeletons) but escape alive and managed to get all the way to Olmec.

If I do this, it will be my first time getting into hell, after trying SO MANY TIMES.

Like, I've died well over a thousand times, so this is kind of a big deal to me.

Sadly, I am out of bombs entirely at this point.

But thanks to trust jetpack! I get at least 30 from some crates in the rafters.

I have to check google to figure out how the hell to find the door into hell. Find it without much trouble.

Lead Olmec away, fly back and bomb a clear path down to the door.

Drag Olmec back, he's working his way in.

One jump left.

Get hit by a spider he just spawned, and fall in the lava.

Olmec then opens the door to hell during my Game Over screen.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    bro?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    I'm not even mad.

It's the farthest I've ever gotten!

• Options
    edited April 2015
    You should stream your attempts!

Together we can beat Yama!

TheStig on
  • Options
    I still haven't worked out how to get the cam I got for Christmas to cooperate with my microphone.

• Options
    I am bad at computers.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I was gonna be mad at this thread for missing out on mentioning a game, but then I noticed 90% of the thread is older than the game unmentioned, so forgiven .

But Dungeon of the Endless is one of my favorites

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Necrodancer is hella good.

• Options
    I like Necrodancer, but it's pretty low on content and I got bored rather fast.

Particularly, I found that the stat upgrades ran out long before I stopped coming across new zones, and it became exceptionally difficult to stay alive.

• Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    I like Necrodancer, but it's pretty low on content and I got bored rather fast.

Particularly, I found that the stat upgrades ran out long before I stopped coming across new zones, and it became exceptionally difficult to stay alive.

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

• Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I was just about to come in here saying how content rich, replayable and incredibly fun Necrodancer is

It is indeed exceptionally difficult but in 17 hours I have never once got mad at it

And 10 of those hours were me bashing my head against zone 4

Somestickguy on
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    How can I still be this bad at binding of Isaac?
    I just walk into so many bullets
    Bwaa

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    I think spelunky is the one game where I reached such a satisfying level of skill at the game that I felt like I had conquered it and could move on.

like, I didn't attempt speedlunky or anything, there are people way better at it than me, but it was the first game where I could look at it and say "this game is hard, and I can consistently beat it entirely and get a really high score. I am good at spelunky"

• Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Necrodancer is relatively low on unique content compared to something like Binding of Isaac, to be sure, but is absolutely difficult and nuanced enough to hold its own. There are certainly several different ways to play thanks to the different characters, but only four bosses plus the last, and only four zones feels small.

All of this comes from a guy who cannot beat Zone 3 because of fucking Ice Dragons fuck OFF.

AvalonGuard on
  • Options
    I was just about to come in here saying how content rich, replayable and incredibly fun Necrodancer is

It is indeed exceptionally difficult but in 17 hours I have never once got mad at it

And 10 of those hours were me bashing my head against zone 4

I meant like, I ran out of upgrades for my character by the time I was working through, like, zone 2.

Granted, the game was still an early build at the time.

• Options
    SLyM wrote: »
    How can I still be this bad at binding of Isaac?
    I just walk into so many bullets
    Bwaa

Aw man, Binding of Isaac.

I lost so many hours dying in that game.

So much fun.

And I have like 40 LP videos of that, if anyone gives a shit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_TfJUDX1QI&list=PLSa6Sq1XmnTU48X90inJKzXaApovhkesK&index=17

• Options
    Well now I just got an Azazel real brimstone spoonbender run, so I'm feeling a lot better about myself

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    Go now.

And unleash Hell.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Spoonbender plus Brimstone is so rad.
    Brimstone plus Ludovico is also really silly.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Pixel Dungeon on android is a very basic roguelike. its missing a lot of the detailed bits of hack, but it will do in a pinch.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options

• Options
    Playing some necrodancer. I've noticed when I'm drinking I'm better at keeping the beat, but much worse at planning moves.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Bah, anyone with a handgun can make it to Hell.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Holy cow Auro came out finally. I mean, apparently it came out eight months ago, but nobody told me.

For those who don't know (probably everybody), Dinofarm Games, the people who made 100 Rogues for iOS (which I've sadly never had the opportunity to play), kickstarted their next game in 2012. Then they proceeded to redesign the game from near-scratch like a hundred times and never released it. Also apparently they redesigned it one more time post-release a few months ago for good measure.

I played for a couple hours last night and it's definitely unique and interesting. The core conceit is that Auro doesn't do damage and enemies don't have hit points. Your basic attack just does knockback, and the primary way to kill enemies is to punch them off the edge of the hex-based map and drown them. You also have four random spells which affect the environment in various ways in service of that goal. Dungeon runs are extremely short and focused on score rather than survival. You have to combo enemies to death as efficiently as possible in order to meet your score target within about three and a half floors (the fourth floor is designed to be a deathtrap where you're just trying to wring out your last few points before you get overrun). The blog has some interesting analysis and a tutorial video if you go back a few pages.

It's out for Android and iOS for $3. There's also a PC version in the pipeline which we can probably expect to come out sometime before the heat death of the universe.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    Pixel Dungeon on android is a very basic roguelike. its missing a lot of the detailed bits of hack, but it will do in a pinch.

Yesterday I made it to the third boss. I stopped playing for a while, as I typically give up temporarily on roguelikes after a really good run due to fatigue on the early levels.

Next game I beat the third boss (thanks to mainlining healing potions) and died to a magic thing on Level 17.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure Invisible Inc. is a true roguelike, maybe a roguelikelike, but oh boy is it fun. It's got some aspects of XCOM (movement units and a grid) and a lot of cool stealth mechanics. It almost reminds me of Netrunner cross Gunpoint in an XCOM interface. It's also got slight RPG elements a la Shadowrun.

• Options
    So I FINALLY got someone to play Spelunky COOP with me, using the Frozlunky mod, which lets you COOP online.

It was amazing.

I should have streamed it.

We got to the jungle maybe twice in over an hour, and it was the funniest shit ever.

I think the most fun we had was when we actively started trying to kill one another for a bit.

• Options
    Guys I got to hell again!

I got all the way to King Yama!

I took out his hands!

And then I accidentally jumped on spikes.

• Options
    I should mention I had a ton of health by that point.

I got the Kapala early on, and used it to get my HP up to 20 in the temple

(I love mummies)

So I was able to take quite a beating by the time I got to hell.

• Options
    Also it helps quite a bit that I had about 40+ bombs by the time I got to the temple.

If you have enough explosives, it's just a matter of getting far enough away from Olmec that he stops chasing you, and just bombing yourself a path to the door to hell, and making sure it has a wide enough berth that he can just fall right in and get you where you need to be.

Frankly, the biggest hindrance I've had to doing this in the past was just fear of aggravating shopkeepers.

But once I got over that, it really didn't take long to start reliably getting pretty far.

Also, I had another run earlier that got me to the city of gold, but I only had two bombs by the time I got there, so instead of going for the book I opted to bust out the Golden Monk.

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    I should mention I had a ton of health by that point.

I got the Kapala early on, and used it to get my HP up to 20 in the temple

(I love mummies)

So I was able to take quite a beating by the time I got to hell.

Honestly, once you've made it to the ice caverns, there's very little difference between having 6 health and having 100 health. Having only 2 or 3 sucks, but in general you're overwhelmingly more likely to die from some flavor of instakill than simple attrition from that point onward.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    I would have died very fast in Hell if not for my pile of HP.

Like, it took a few hits before I figured out how to kill those blue demons without jumping on them. :p

And I got knocked around like crazy in Yama's level.

Hell I'd have died, except I'd snatched Vlad's amulet in 5-1 so lava wasn't a risk anymore.

It did cost my my shotgun, though. :(

• Options
    I just got 4th level bandage girl

on the godamn family man challenge

then to add insult to injury I fucking lost

• Options
    Why is 4th level bandage girl an insult?

The max level meatboy/bandage girl are pretty awesome.