As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Finally, a thread about [Dredd] that doesn't say "I am the Law"! Wait...

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Honestly we got the best characterization at the end of this film. He just survives what would seemingly be a big thing for anyone else and its just like "Ehh another day another shit job". That shows to me that Dredd did not consider the events of the film that outstanding at all, and that says a lot about the character and the job.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
  • Options
    And then the "She's a Pass" line. Again not a lot of info, not explination. Just Dredd making his judgement and thats that.

Hell he has a hole in his vest and a wound hastily put together and he gives no fucks.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    That was a great line.

"Drugs bust." Meh face.

"Perps were... uncooperative."

Dredd is master of the understatement.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    That was a great line.

"Drugs bust." Meh face.

"Perps were... uncooperative."

Dredd is master of the understatement.

Another good character moment is at the beginning with the car (van) chase. He's just kind of tailing them and trying to pull them over but the second they take out a pedestrian he straight up takes them out.

Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I'm honestly surprised that you guys enjoyed this film so much.

It was fine, but for me, it just seemed to establishing the premise. It never went anywhere. I suppose in that way a sequel would be welcome, but I think it would be better as a series. That film was the pilot.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Preacher wrote: »
    And then the "She's a Pass" line. Again not a lot of info, not explination. Just Dredd making his judgement and thats that.
    And in the comic, it would have been about a year's worth of character development.

Dredd is basically a glacier.
    He does change, but you can't see it happening, only the long-term pattern.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

It was fine, but for me, it just seemed to establishing the premise. It never went anywhere. I suppose in that way a sequel would be welcome, but I think it would be better as a series. That film was the pilot.

That is precisely why I liked it so much; the stakes were so low. It amounted to "are these 2 cops going to die today or tomorrow or the day after?" and the whole thing is just another day for Dredd. To use this as a stepping stone for some big save the world story would be horrible - I don't want Dredd to discover some way to fix the scorched Earth. Just want to see another shitty day for him. And maybe a third shitty day after that.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    The way the events played out, Dredd could have used the M. Bison "to me...it was a Tuesday". Anyone else would be looking for time off. Dredd probable went to the truck for more ammo, future band-aid, and fresh armor. 5 minutes later he is busting another perp.

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular

That is precisely why I liked it so much; the stakes were so low. It amounted to "are these 2 cops going to die today or tomorrow or the day after?" and the whole thing is just another day for Dredd. To use this as a stepping stone for some big save the world story would be horrible - I don't want Dredd to discover some way to fix the scorched Earth. Just want to see another shitty day for him. And maybe a third shitty day after that.

Hell yeah, more "Day in the Life of Dredd"-stories, and I'm sold. I'm sick of the usual "SAVE TEH WURLD"-shpiel.

• Options
    AtaxrxesAtaxrxes Hellnation Cursed EarthRegistered User regular
    A Cursed Earth story doesn't necessarily need to be a save the world situation. It could be a shitty day in the life of Dredd. A weird shitty day in the life of Dredd.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    The problem with "day in the life" stories is that, cinematically, you have to tell a story through a character. DREDD did this through Judge Anderson, but any further stories would likely revolve around Dredd himself. And for that, he's going to have to have an arc and show some growth.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I really like movie dredd

he's a real avatar of justice, but not in a stupid way like Stallone

Also for being below average, Anderson was kind of a badass. I'm thinking maybe the judges put their training standards too high and should probably hire a few million mooks to be regular cops

• Options
    Judges enter the academy at five, train for fifteen years, and come out the other end as, basically, Batman.

• Options
    Anderson also made more than a few mistakes that without a partner she would have been dead over. Though without Dredd there would she have made them? Hard to say.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    The problem with "day in the life" stories is that, cinematically, you have to tell a story through a character. DREDD did this through Judge Anderson, but any further stories would likely revolve around Dredd himself. And for that, he's going to have to have an arc and show some growth.

Actually, that's a really good point. I wonder whether the best thing to do is keep Dredd almost as a consistent backdrop, but never the main emotional focus. When he's seen through the eyes of another character, he's a cool headed force of nature. Kind of an enigmatic badass and counterpoint to more sympathetic characters.

An ice-cold protagonist only goes so far. They did this fairly well in the Terminator movies...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Fallingman wrote: »
    They did this fairly well in the Terminator movies...

By never letting the Terminator be the main character. It was always Kyle Reese or Sarah Connor or John Connor leading the plot.

The question is, does the DREDD universe have other characters engaging enough to hang a franchise on?

• Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    I'll admit that my Dredd knowledge is fairly limited, but I gather that quite a few of the stories are framed like this? Like a short story with new characters, and Dredd appears as the personification of the harsh justice system.

I kind of think the mystery of dredd makes him more compelling. Like the hint at the begining of the movie when they refer to his mind being full of anger, then move on without giving any details.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    It's nice to hear, but I am pessimistic about the chances of a sequel. I feel a lot better about the decision to hold off till after Christmas to put the disc out, though, because it seemed crazy at the time.

It probably depends on what kind of budget they need. If they can keep it around $40 mil or lower while still getting some marketable stars, they have a chance.

The PR problem DREDD had was no stars, no budget, and a story that isn't very friendly to the unwashed masses. If you can fix that, I think you've got a chance.

Lena Heady and Karl Urban are both pretty big names for what's really an absurdly obscure franchise in America.

• Options

By never letting the Terminator be the main character. It was always Kyle Reese or Sarah Connor or John Connor leading the plot.

The question is, does the DREDD universe have other characters engaging enough to hang a franchise on?

A shitload. Hershey, a brunette with a Louise Brooks bob who becomes Chief Judge aft many years serving as a street judge. Giant, a former rookie of Dredd's who became a judge before he was killed in the Apocalypse War. Psi judges like Karyn or Janus; undercover judges like Point or Guthrie or Dirty Frank; ex judges like Galen De Marco. It's been going for thirty odd years. There are a wealth of judges to choose from if they want to give Dredd a larger supporting cast.

• Options
    It's nice to hear, but I am pessimistic about the chances of a sequel. I feel a lot better about the decision to hold off till after Christmas to put the disc out, though, because it seemed crazy at the time.

It probably depends on what kind of budget they need. If they can keep it around $40 mil or lower while still getting some marketable stars, they have a chance.

The PR problem DREDD had was no stars, no budget, and a story that isn't very friendly to the unwashed masses. If you can fix that, I think you've got a chance.

Lena Heady and Karl Urban are both pretty big names for what's really an absurdly obscure franchise in America.

I'm talking in terms of having the ability to get on people's radar just by being in it.

Heady and Urban are competent actors, but no one says, "Hey, let's go see that new Lena Heady movie!"

• Options
    TzyrTzyr Registered User regular
    I say that when Karl Urban releases a new movie...

• Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular

I'm talking in terms of having the ability to get on people's radar just by being in it.

Heady and Urban are competent actors, but no one says, "Hey, let's go see that new Lena Heady movie!"

I mean, I do. Then again they did a fantastic job of uglying her up for the role, so.

• Options
    They gave her a nasty scar and a backstory where shit bit a dudes dick off thats hella uggo.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    There needs to be a cross over with Kick Puncher.

Anyone interested in some megadope? It will get you megahigh.

• Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular

To me, that's exactly the problem with the movie though. There's no stakes, and the action is boring. I imagine the movie excited me about as much as it did Dredd. It just feels like a guy doing some shit he does all the time and it's totally uneventful, despite being full of action that in another movie, might have been compelling. I know there's the comparison to The Raid because both are about dudes in tall buildings killing bad dudes...but I think it's an apt one here, except that I was drawn into the Raid's action immediately, and only later became bored once it was clear the stakes weren't anything interesting.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I'm currently enjoying the silliness of the first Volume of the complete Dredd case files. Walter the Wobot and 'It's a Cripple in a Robo-Chair!' and so on. It's all a bit janky and 70s but that gives it a certain charm and I can see the full case file collection making their way to my bookshelf over time.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    MuddypawsMuddypaws Lactodorum, UKRegistered User regular

Idris Elba as Judge Giant. The End
    <3

• Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    I'm currently enjoying the silliness of the first Volume of the complete Dredd case files. Walter the Wobot and 'It's a Cripple in a Robo-Chair!' and so on. It's all a bit janky and 70s but that gives it a certain charm and I can see the full case file collection making their way to my bookshelf over time.
    Fond as I am of the first volume, they get a hell of a lot better. The series really finds its feet from number 3, when the city blocks first get introduced.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I too have read Case Files 01 recently. My favourite story:
    Dredd has returned from Luna City and is cheerfully greeting everyone and not stopping crime. Until he has reached the Justice Department and been formally reinstated as a Judge and thus fully authorized to kick ass and be bad tempered again.

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    The first volume is seriously terrible.

The second volume is significantly better.

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    Geth apparently likes Dredd.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »
    The first volume is seriously terrible.

The second volume is significantly better.

Glad I read it first so my expectations weren't ruined then. :P

• Options
    They had a lot of daft stories like the five man war on Luna with East Meg One in those early days before they got the tone right. By volume four and five you have some of Dredd's best and most consistently entertaining years in your hands.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Jeedan wrote: »

I really want to see Ron Perlman and Clancy Brown in the sequel. It makes no sense not to have them in this universe. Heck, put Michael Ironside in too.

I enjoyed this movie quite a bit and I was very disappointed by its poor box office performance. I liked how they didn't make Anderson a smart alec or pull any of that cliched buddy cop crap. Although I couldn't help but start laughing at Karl Urban's constant scowl.

KingofMadCows on
  • Options
    MuddypawsMuddypaws Lactodorum, UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Guardian article about upcoming Dredd story. It reads like the writers are bluffing for a bit of publicity but still amusing.

Is Dredd gay?

Judge-Dredd-comic-009_zps7b5f2ab2.jpg

Muddypaws on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    The idea that anyone could have taken seriously the idea that that was the real Dredd is highly amusing. Dredd is asexual. He is married to the law.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    Its a fake out, the actual story is pretty funny.

• Options
    Read a newspaper story on it. Made the mistake of looking at the comments.

I think Drudge ran this and provided links on the story so the Independent article has been overrun with men's rights assholes, people who don't want 'gay men shoved down our throats' and lunatic fucknuggets convinced this is another paving stone on the way to liberal hell.