As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Giant Bomb: #TeamBrad

196979899100102»

• Options
    SwissLionSwissLion We are beside ourselves! Registered User regular
    Yeah but I bet you're getting all kindsa crazy business with that, from your wide range of available retailers.

ImWcN1I.png?3
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Well

Yeah

But the UbiWorkshop edition is available worldwide

Just have to give up on your PC version and embrace consolehood

• Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    toons makes a proper point in that the second half of dead space 1 you are so completely unstoppable that the necromorphs fail to really shake you anymore

but by that point the game drops its need to jump scare you and gross you out with monster design and replaces it with a sense of dread of the sort of stuff you're uncovering within the narrative

granted, amnesia did a very similar thing and much more effectively, but dead space still manages to deliver pretty consistently

except for the turret sequences

fuck everything about those

Squall on
  • Options
    All arguments against DS2 as a scary game are rendered moot by the Ishimura sequence.

Fuck Dead Space 2.

ImWcN1I.png?3
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    SwissLion wrote: »
    All arguments against DS2 as a scary game are rendered moot by the Ishimura sequence.

Fuck Dead Space 2.

They ruined that sequence at the end.

jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    With the...
    Huge, prolonged, stressful escape fight?

Yeah, you could see it that way, but they had to break the tension at some point.

I don't remember the details particularly well, but I seem to remember basically sprinting past guys frantically trying to get out pretty exhilarating.

Or is there a turret sequence or something I blocked out?

SwissLion on
    ImWcN1I.png?3
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Pharezon wrote: »
    SwissLion wrote: »

Fuck Dead Space 2.

They ruined that sequence at the end.

No they didn't

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »
    hey guys

you can buy XCOM on GMG for like

no money

like 30 buck AUD

go do that

Also for those interested, @Huntera and @Moriveth especially, Gods & Kings is only $30 AUD as well on GMG.

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Horror is a narrative genre that essentially means the work is intended to be scary. All REs (except 5 and 6 maybe?), Dead Space, Fatal Frame, Amnesia, all those are horror games.

Survival horror is a gameplay genre that means you have to manage limited resources to survive a situation that initially seems stacked against you. RE4 and on aren't survival horror, neither is Dead Space, but Amnesia is (because you have to manage your light). Essentially, a game is survival horror if you have to make economic calculations to try to puzzle out the most efficient way out of a situation (is it better to shoot the zombie and lose the bullets or try to run past him, knowing that the cost for getting grabbed is higher). Hell, in the original REs you had to do these calculations about saving your game. That's survival horror. If the solution to every problem is "shoot it until it stops moving", it's not.

sig.gif
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Man, Jeff kinda loses it at the end of the bombcast.

The things discussions about Nights will do to you.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    I treat basically every single game as a survival horror game when it comes to resources.

I fret terribly if I am any significant amount of ammo or health under the maximum and will scour areas for goodies whenever the opportunity presents itself, or even when it doesn't really. When I played Dead Space and Uncharted with my friends it would always drive them nuts when it was my turn to play.

I also freely admit I am bad at video games so that probably contributes some to my lack of ammo/health, whether that is actual or perceived.

ImWcN1I.png?3
  • Options
    SimBen wrote: »
    Horror is a narrative genre that essentially means the work is intended to be scary. All REs (except 5 and 6 maybe?), Dead Space, Fatal Frame, Amnesia, all those are horror games.

Survival horror is a gameplay genre that means you have to manage limited resources to survive a situation that initially seems stacked against you. RE4 and on aren't survival horror, neither is Dead Space, but Amnesia is (because you have to manage your light). Essentially, a game is survival horror if you have to make economic calculations to try to puzzle out the most efficient way out of a situation (is it better to shoot the zombie and lose the bullets or try to run past him, knowing that the cost for getting grabbed is higher). Hell, in the original REs you had to do these calculations about saving your game. That's survival horror. If the solution to every problem is "shoot it until it stops moving", it's not.

they way anti is playing dead space makes her qualify for your definition of survival horror, since she seems to just barely squeak by with the items she picks up

it's easier to run out of items in amnesia than it is for dead space or re4, but it doesnt mean it cant happen

if the severity of resource management is how you'd define different horror genres then it really comes down to the player, not necessarily the game mechanics

• Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    I am the biggest hoarder of player resources when it comes to games of all shapes and sizes.

• Options
    i think halfway thru amnesia i had 30+ tinderboxes and never ran out of oil

This discussion has been closed.