As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Printer Ink - it's like liquid gold, only more expensive

CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
edited September 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
My inkjet printer recently ran out of cyan ink. This was the sort of event, apparently, that required a complete cessation of all activities and abject refusal to do anything besides beep at me and vomit advertisements for Genuine Epson Ink all over my computer monitor. I happened to need gas in my car the same day; turns out that replacing all of the printer cartridges (so that I do not subsequently run out of Everything Except Cyan) costs about $5 more than a full tank of gas.

Tell me, oh wise internet, what's the most cost effective way to put words on paper with my computer? Clearly it is not Epson inkjet printers; I can't even frequent one of those cartridge refill establishments on account of Epson's clever inclusion of custom ICs on the cartridges which track how much ink it claims is left.

Are lasers worth the price? Is there a brand of inkjet that I can buy and not be raped on ink costs over time? I don't think I've actually printed anything in about 6 months, so it's not like I need a super fancy printer.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
CptHamilton on

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    I've had a laser printer for about 15 years for occasional jobs and think it's totally worth the price. It's fast, and you get a lot of printouts per cartridge. I think I've only ever gone through 2 cartridges, and you can block the sensor with a piece of tape to squeeze a few dozen extra pages out (maybe fancy new technology in newer printers defeats this, though).

I have an HP, but if I had to buy a new one Brother seems even more economical, and they usually review well.

• Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    Lasers are worth the price. I got a used HP laserjet 5 years ago, and I'm still on the toner that came with it. Find a b/w laser, and do your color prints at Kinkos.

• Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    If all you need is black and white have you tried changing the print style to monochrome? That worked on my Brother inkjet when I would run out of color ink.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    Three pieces of advice:
    1) Never buy Epson. My mom has been telling everyone this for like 10 years since they started sucking (they didn't suck when they first came out), and I completely agree with her. I've never heard anything good about an Epson, and I constantly hear about them breaking down or not being detected by people's computers anymore or whatever. HP isn't always that wonderful, but Epson's printers are awful. I've seen several people in the printing industry say the same.
    2) If you're only printing text, check the printer options before you print for a "Black ink only" option and use it. This will keep you from wasting color ink to print pure black for no reason whatsoever (unless you do a lot of photo printing, I'm guessing this is why you ran out of cyan). I also tend to turn off HP's "Real Life Technologies" because I presume it will save ink as well.
    3) Yes, laser printing is totally the way to go, especially if you mostly print text. Inkjet cartridges also tend to dry out after long periods of disuse. If you go laser, Brother seems to be the best brand from what I've gathered.

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    http://www.amazon.com/Brother-Printer-HL2270DW-Wireless-Monochrome/dp/B00450DVDY/
    Awesome and cheap laser printer, if your only doing monochrome printing.
    a new toner cartridge costs about $45 and will do about 1200 pages from it, or about 4 cents a page. Can't get much cheaper than that for a printer.

and the great thing about a laser is that if you don't print anything for months, there's no ink to dry out and become useless.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    Caelum MilitisCaelum Militis Registered User regular
    Seconding the Brother HL2270, and it's actually an even better deal then Foomy noted. A high yield toner cartridge (TN450 instead of a TN420) will give you closer to 2600 sheets printed, for $45 (even cheaper if you go with a "compatible" cartridge, but there is a risk of a dud then). 2600 is fairly accurate, as well, in my experience.

~Unyielding resolve has no conquerer~
  • Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    Lasers will save you a small fortune over time. I print out thousands of pages a year and go through only about two toner cartridges, which run a little over a hundred dollars. If I had to do that with Epson ink I would have to file for bankruptcy.

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    I got a Brother laser for the office. It was a good purchase, and is damn reliable.

That being said, as someone who very rarely prints from home: Kinkos will let you submit print jobs online. And if they're small, they're generally really fast about getting them done. I live about half a mile from a Kinkos, so the handful of times in the past several years I've really needed something printed, I've just submitted it to them, then picked it up later. There is a $2/job minimum.

• Options
    LibrarianLibrarian The face of liberal fascism Registered User regular
    Laser printers have become so cheap that I see little reason to stay with an inkjet.
    If for some reason you don't feel like buying a new printer right now or you want to go the economical way about future printer refreshments, you could try one of the refill stations. I am not sure about the US, but here these places are opening all a cross town and they will refill a 50 Euro toner cartridge for 20 Euros or so. I have never tried so can't speak for the quality but at least one of these places is part of a chain and seems pretty legit,

I also know that my dad used to refill our inkjet cartridges himself, which usually worked just fine but sometimes got a bit messy, I don't think he does it anymore, but if you are really not willing to pay for a new cartridge(I know they can be horribly expensive, especially Epson) that might be another alternative.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Yep if you don't need colour, that Brother printer Foomy recommended is awesome. It was recommended to me and I haven't looked back since getting it

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Once you get a laser printer it isn't even about quality anymore. The cheapest and shittiest laser is worlds better than the best bubble/ink printer. Get whatever is in your price point. Brother are pretty good, but I have had 0 problems with almost every type of laser printer.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Guess I'll go with a brother laser, then. Thanks, peoples.

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Is the Brother HL-2280dw just a newer version of The Foomy Recommendation?

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I feel your pain, OP. To replace the three colour and two black cartridges in my Canon MP530 multifunction is about $150. Thing is, it's a fantasic scanner and prints beautifully when it does have ink, so I don't really want to replace it...

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    wonderpug wrote: »
    Is the Brother HL-2280dw just a newer version of The Foomy Recommendation?

it's the model up from the 2270, adds an lcd screen, and a scanner. But it looks to be even cheaper on amazon, so go with that one I guess. Can't see it being any less reliable, and you get a bonus scanner/copier out of it

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    If you do go brother, remember the tape trick. You can get a few hundred more pages out of a cartridge.

• Options
    HorusHorus Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    ok before anything just buy generic brand
    meritline.com is my go to place to buy my canon and brother inks. I pay about $3 bucks for a bundle. Just take note if your ink cartridges need a chip buy the third party brand with new chip. Don't reuse old chips because its annoying. The only downside to this is quality of photographs is not great. Then again what you saved on inks you can take pictures to photo lab to print.

I have been doing this on my Canon for 6 years and only one bad ink cartridge from the whole experience.

“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
    ― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!
  • Options
    Horus wrote: »
    ok before anything just buy generic brand
    meritline.com is my go to place to buy my canon and brother inks. I pay about $3 bucks for a bundle. Just take note if your ink cartridges need a chip buy the third party brand with new chip. Don't reuse old chips because its annoying. The only downside to this is quality of photographs is not great. Then again what you saved on inks you can take pictures to photo lab to print.

I have been doing this on my Canon for 6 years and only one bad ink cartridge from the whole experience.

The problem with this, at least when I looked, is that Epson doesn't have a 3rd party equivalent. There exist places that sell 're-chipped' cartridges, but the process for flashing one of the chips seems non-trivial and of questionable legality. I'm not entirely willing to trust my credit card info to random online "off-brand ink for cheap!" marketers hocking hacked ink chips. The local ink refill place just shook their heads sadly at the word 'Epson'.

But I don't do photo printing at home and can't remember the last time I even needed color for anything, so B&W laser seems like the way to go. I wasn't aware that laser printer prices had dropped so low.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Cabezone wrote: »
    If you do go brother, remember the tape trick. You can get a few hundred more pages out of a cartridge.

My girlfriend and I both have Brother HL2270DWs at our homes (it's awesome using the same cartridges and the same printer drivers each laptop) and I buy HL5370DWs at work when somebody needs a small desktop printer.

The tape trick works.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Do elaborate on this dark magic.

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjlSno7lFY8

Basically you want to block the sensor target, preventing the printer from knowing when it's running low on toner.

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    They cut off printing before, and in my experience long before, the cartridge actually runs out of ink.

• Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    Honestly, though, as someone who has had a couple laser printers, toner lasts a REALLY long time. I had an HP color laser that lasted for like 5 years before one of the cartridges got low, after printing wedding invitations/programs and tons of other crap. Once the toner is gone, though, it can cost almost as much as rebuying the entire printer (which, honestly, is about the same as inkjet). But yeah, Brothers have cheap toner and are high quality. I've been using a B&W one for a little over 2 years now and it's still going strong.

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    HewnHewn Registered User regular
    Put me into the huge Brother laser printer supporter pile. Very reliable over thousands of pages.

And it's easy to find cheap ink for the popular Brother printers. I've had good luck getting non-oem ink to work very well. Some people have horror stories with off brand ink, but I paid about $12 for toner that lasted over 2000 pages.

Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Hmm. May have to dump my current printer for one of these Brother lasers once I get a bit of cash.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    tech_huntertech_hunter More SeattleRegistered User regular
    Also you can set the printer to use light toner, which will increase the life of the toner as well. I cant really tell much of a difference between using the light toner setting and normal. Also taking the cartridge out and giving it a bit of a shake seems to work as well. I recommend brother they are great printers. I have had one for 5 years now replaced the toner 3 times. Although one of those times was the "starter" toner cartridge it comes with.

Sig to mucho Grande!
  • Options
    SheezSheez Registered User regular
    As a dude who used to refill cartridges for a living, let me jump in here and debunk/confirm some of the stuff you've been hearing so far.

1 - Laser is better. Like, seriously. Part of the problem is that you're dealing with pieces that, by the very nature of inkjet printers, have to be wet. Are you using your printer all the time? If not, then as wet things are prone to doing, the ink will dry at the front of the part of your printer that normally jettisons it (usually called the printhead). These are expensive pieces usually using electrical charge to heat the ink causing it to expand. If there is no moisture to keep that part cool and pull away that heat, they will scorch and burn and become ineffective.

2 - Laser cartridges cost hundreds of dollars, but deliver thousands of prints. A small laser cart is usually good for 1500-2000 normal page usage (you can find these guidelines with a little digging). An ink cart, depending on manufacturer, usually delivers 200-300. The math is pretty easy for determining value.

3 - If you decide to go with inkjets, Epson is actually pretty good. So is Brother. I like Epson more because their carts are generally well designed and hold a fair amount of ink. Brother carts, lately, have become more skinflinty and awful, even if the colors do tend to do pretty well. Color laserjet carts, from what I recall, however tend to favor Brother more. I like their colors better, anyway.

4 - It is totally legal to reset the Epson chips. If you knew half the shit I did about ink cartridges you'd quickly come to realize that those chips exist solely to screw you, and that resetting them is one small way to fight back against that. That said, be very wary about who you purchase from. Sourcing from China and similar often means that the chips have come into contact with electrostatic charge that'll cause the chip to reset again (this is also true of new Epson chips, touching them is bad).
    The problem with this, at least when I looked, is that Epson doesn't have a 3rd party equivalent. There exist places that sell 're-chipped' cartridges, but the process for flashing one of the chips seems non-trivial and of questionable legality. I'm not entirely willing to trust my credit card info to random online "off-brand ink for cheap!" marketers hocking hacked ink chips. The local ink refill place just shook their heads sadly at the word 'Epson'.

A chip resetter costs like 15 buck, uses watch batteries, and lasts for thousands of resets. It's easy-peasy. Hacking your own epson carts is, similarly, easy to do for probably all but the very brand newest carts, assuming you have a drill, a glue gun, and some instruction (as well as a chip resetter).

5 - The tape trick works. It's another method to avoid mechanics used to screw you out of using the most of your carts.

If you have any other questions, lemme know and I'll do what I can to answer.

• Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    Make sure you research replacement toner cartridges for any printer you're considering. Some do cost in the hundreds like some people here have said but many are under 100. My (old) HP laser printer uses cartridges that are about 75 but I can get third party ones for more like 50. I'm only on my third cartridge in 10 years and the first 4 of that was in college and then the wife in grad school so very heavy use.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    n/m

a5ehren on
  • Options
    I went ahead and ordered myself a Brother 2280. It is, from all appearances, a 2270 with a scanner bolted to the top. I have no real need for the scanner, being as I already own two of the things, but Newegg is running a sale that made the 2280 actually cheaper than the 2270 ($135+$2 shipping vs. $139 + $5 shipping).

Thanks again all.