As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Webcomic: The Webcomics Thread: Starring Webcomics: The Webcomic

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    wwz is overrated

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    oh god no

there's this weird hate for this book here

a lot of other places on the internet too

and quite frankly I'm getting more than a little tired about people talking shit about things all the time

gotta get on with that positivety

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    wwz is overrated

agreed

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    but then again everything is overrated

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    2012-09-28-interview.png

• Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    well when they say "throw dark"

it's not like some director/screenwriter sat down and said "ok let's make this thing more like Angel. kids love the angst"

it's more like it delves into some things that Star Trek never delved into before

like what's a man willing to do to win a war

or what happens where you're completely miserable and you're killing yourself with a form of substance abuse, and you alienate the one person who cares about you enough to try and save you
    or, hell, actual genocide
    not what i want from trek

at all

Yeah, like DS9 isn't bad or anything but Star Trek was always about exploring the unknown, to me.

But it's cool DS9 exists so people who did wanna see that side of Star Trek could, and I can definitely see why they might want to.

I'm also someone who thinks The Motion Picture is one of the best examples of Star Trek though so what do I know. That movie deserves more credit. Also that music.

• Options
    Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    WWZ is a good book.

Still curious as to how that movie's going to pan out.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    that you even call it "tech worship" has some pretty strong connotations

it's not some religious or mystical thing

it's the application of discovered knowledge for practical usage

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    do we also hate shortpacked

it seems like a thing that this thread would hate

and yet I'm not sure why

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    i'm startin to hate your posts, pal

crwth on
    EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular

and yet I'm not sure why

I like Willis' style, but there are times when I wish this guy would bring somebody else on to shore up his writing.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    I'm sorry, but my even my father, who is an enormous like-long Trekkie... admits that The Motion Picture is a pretty bad movie.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular

and yet I'm not sure why

It's a good comic over all but also kinda dumb sometimes.

Also the character they're introducing there came from a rant comic like a year ago about the New 52 stuff and that bugs me for some reason. It's like if Yelling Bird moved in with Marten and Co. except less awesome.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options

and yet I'm not sure why

shortpacked guy does some awkward bits where he alternates between gag-a-day strips about robocop to some disturbing spousal abuse serious comic situations

I think I might like it more if he just did a single comic and spent more time drawing and plotting out each one

• Options
    edited September 2012
    i don't like david willis because i'm not a huge fan of his art or humor, he's occasionally mean, doesn't think before he speaks, and he's insane about transformers

chew on exactly what that last part of that statement means

but webcomics for the webcomics throne

Antimatter on
  • Options
    was this posted yet?

pnap20120927.jpg

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    DS9 is basically what happens when you look at the Trek Universe without Roddenberry controlling it all

because there were a lot of things that Roddenberry just had in there which, sure, they informed the original series which was great and so on, but they also didn't make a huge amount of sense or were basically just arbitrary.

Like, the moral status of the Federation. Roddenberry basically made them always good and right. Which is cool, you know, Superman is always good and right and God knows I love Superman, but it also wasn't really explored. Why are they always good and right? What happens when those codes are tested? Alright, you did have stuff like that with the Prime Directive, but not so much.

In DS9, they basically say "okay, the Federation and so on are actually made up of real people trying to stick to the very high and noble ideals of the Federation. So how does that work? What do they do? What do they not do?" and so on. There were questions of what was okay to do in war if, say, you didn't have the technological power of the Feds?

I like DS9, it's my favourite Trek. But I can see why people say that it's not really Star Trek. Because, honestly? It isn't the same. Not without Roddenberry there to push things in his way.

• Options
    crwth wrote: »
    i'm startin to hate your posts, pal

finally

my own arch-nemesis

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    speaking of which here's that david willis webcomic for this page

4xaOO.png

Brolo on
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Rolo wrote: »

I'm calling it tech worship for want of a better term.

Either way though, I think it's true that there's some degree of mysticism (again, for want of a better term) surrounding modern technology, if only because most people can't take apart a CPU, identify each part of the machine, figure out what it does, and put it back together again.

Or maybe that's just me.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Seriously, look

2011-09-26-math.png

She was literally a mouthpiece to make the author's point and now she's become a real character and the only thing she has to talk about is this point from a year ago

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Isn't short packed the one where all the comics are the same characters but just different settings?

They weren't written very well and the different versions were boring and also a weird choice

• Options
    I'm really starting to think that post about AI stories was a bad idea.

Which especially hurts, because I was kind of proud of it.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    speaking of which here's that david willis webcomic for this page

4xaOO.png

Alright yeah that's pretty heavy-handed

• Options
    (btw @crwth please don't hate my posts)

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    'overrated' isn't really a criticism I give much credence to

• Options

Hate YoL7p.png

• Options

too late

this hate train's a rollin'

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    FAQ wrote: »
    'overrated' isn't really a criticism I give much credence to

it's decent

that's about all i can say for it

but i saw that shit every fucking day in high school and for a long time on the interwebs

it's only okay but it was omnipresent so yeah i don't feel bad calling it overrated

• Options
    crwth wrote: »

too late

this hate train's a rollin'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    I don't know anything about wwz but the implication of overrated to me is that people like something more than they should and that rubs me the wrong way

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    2012-09-28-interview.png

cartoon starfire iz #1

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Yeah, the misogyny on display in the New 52 is well worthy of ridicule and criticism, but I don't know if the best way to do that is to reference a character from one of your comics in another one of your comics, several months after the fact.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    oh god no

there's this weird hate for this book here

a lot of other places on the internet too

and quite frankly I'm getting more than a little tired about people talking shit about things all the time

gotta get on with that positivety

if folks are talking about something or something comes up and some folks don't like that thing then can express that all they want. Just as long as they don't get all obnoxious about it

• Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    65PSF.gif

It actually took me a few minutes to get this one the first time I read it.

• Options
    that's one of my favorites

especially since after the first sentence it has nothing to do with harry potter

• Options
    Phillipe just looks so angry in the last panel

He is so dissappointed he cannot read Lyle's Harry Potter legend

• Options

I'm calling it tech worship for want of a better term.

Either way though, I think it's true that there's some degree of mysticism (again, for want of a better term) surrounding modern technology, if only because most people can't take apart a CPU, identify each part of the machine, figure out what it does, and put it back together again.

Or maybe that's just me.

it's the exact opposite of worship though

we use technology casually, without really thinking about it or always appreciating how complex it has become - instead you just pull out your smartphone and can instantly access nearly any part of the world's stored information, no big deal

worship implies that we're in awe of this stuff and treat it with reverence, but for most people this stuff is an increasingly disposable convenience

• Options
    A better description would probably be "technology fetishism". Not fetish as in the sexual sense, but fetish as in the man-made object with ascribed supernatural powers sense.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    hey, I've been reading Iain M Banks

So you know what I mean, as far as Minds running orbitals and such, while interacting with thousands of biological sentients and Drone-level AIs simultaneously.

And re: World War Z everyone should get the audio book version of it because it has an ensemble cast that includes folks like Rob Reiner and Mark Hamill.

This discussion has been closed.