Options

Pillars of Eternity: I updated the FUCK out of the OP, everyone! [Obsidian's New RPG]

• Options
    DuriniaDurinia Evolved from Space Potatoes Registered User regular
    C2B wrote: »
    Makes Black Hound much more likely.

Sorry, yes - that's the BG 3 I was referring to having been cancelled. My thoughts on the engine was maybe "ETERNITY" is a new Engine as a spiritual successor to Infinity/Aurora.

And successors to these types of titles are ones that have seen a lot of kickstarter success, so I'm guessing that's the route.

For business reasons, I must preserve the outward sign of sanity.
    --Mark Twain
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    If they go with an engine, they will most likely use onyx. They already have their own, very flexible one.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    even when working with other people's ips obsidian tends to put their own stamp on it - so i'm sure they could do a spiritual successor to something like baldur's gate or fallout and have it work

kotor2 probably best example of this - could have easily been done as a new ip (although a large amount of the greatness was how un-starwars it was). i felt the same way w/ motb as well.

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Personally I'm hoping for a new IP that isn't solidly related to anything they've done in the past.

• Options
    I disagree, KOTOR 2 really couldn't. It used the setting extensivly and the deconstruction of said setting is a major part of it.

Planescape: Torment is a similiar case, while its not a deconstruction of the setting itself, it uses its uniqueness extensivly for its own purposes and to attack fantasy clichees.

MOTB would probably be easier to transfer, though it also uses it quite well.

That said if you "just" take some of the general ideas, making spiritual successors to these games in different settings in easily possible even though said settings would end up somewhat similiar. (Though in KOTOR2's case it would be pretty hard not to lose the point as its so specifically a deconstruction of Star Wars).

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Who owns the Planescape license these days?

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

Wizards of the Coast (which is, in turn, owned by Hasbro).

Atari had the video game rights to D&D, but I think Hasbro recently got them back. I'll have to look into it.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I think it reverted back to hasbro/wotc

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    If they go with an engine, they will most likely use onyx. They already have their own, very flexible one.

What if they decide to go the route of Baldur's Gate: EE? Making a game available to the iPad. In the same fashion as Shadowrun Returns.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    SerukoSeruko Ferocious Kitten of The Farthest NorthRegistered User regular
    Durinia wrote: »

Sorry, yes - that's the BG 3 I was referring to having been cancelled. My thoughts on the engine was maybe "ETERNITY" is a new Engine as a spiritual successor to Infinity/Aurora.

And successors to these types of titles are ones that have seen a lot of kickstarter success, so I'm guessing that's the route.

How could there even be BG3 after the expansion to BG2?
    I mean you become a god and stuff.
    am I really the only person who love love love love loved Throne of Bhaal?

"How are you going to play Dota if your fingers and bitten off? You can't. That's how" -> Carnarvon
    "You can be yodeling bear without spending a dime if you get lucky." -> reVerse
    "In the grim darkness of the future, we will all be nurses catering to the whims of terrible old people." -> Hacksaw
    "In fact, our whole society will be oriented around caring for one very decrepit, very old man on total life support." -> SKFM
    I mean, the first time I met a non-white person was when this Vietnamese kid tried to break my legs but that was entirely fair because he was a centreback, not because he was a subhuman beast in some zoo ->yotes
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Seruko wrote: »

How could there even be BG3 after the expansion to BG2?
    I mean you become a god and stuff.
    am I really the only person who love love love love loved Throne of Bhaal?

Most plans with BG3 basicly turned the series into Final Fantasy, and have sequels that weren't actually sequels.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Now watch, it'll be TORN, the project they were working on when Black Isle tanked.

I remember back in the day, the webforum was divided by arguments over whether gold should have weight. How silly we were.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Gold should have weight.

And by that I mean that a single gold coin should be enough to buy a small village.

• Options
    reVerse wrote: »
    Gold should have weight.

And by that I mean that a single gold coin should be enough to buy a small village.

That was basically my position at the time. I was baffled that games let me carry around 100K gold coins in my belt pouch. "You should just have proper banking, and ditch the inflation. Make gold worth a lot, so there's a reason to change up your copper and silver. If you need more money than that, there's gems or platinum, or fantastic metals, or fucking letters of bank credit."

I know why games don't do this. They don't think that economics is very fun.

Looking at how much effort people put into auction house shenanigans, I beg to differ.

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    - Geospatial Hypotheticals Coordinator (...and Computer Game Designer) @ Obsidian Ent. Last Project: Fallout New Vegas + DLCs. Now: Wasteland 2 and ???

So, Avellone's working on it too.

At this point i'm pretty sure this is going to be Obsidian's first Kickstarter project. (The one Avellone talked about in that planescape kotaku interview refering to "other" powerhouses in the studio)

Also Feargus has been bringin' in the good clothes to film something yesterday.....

*SUSPENSE*

Obsidian have three teams, don't they? So it doesn't necessarily mean it's the same as this one, though yeah, it is looking like it'll be the Kickstarter project.
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Atari had the video game rights to D&D, but I think Hasbro recently got them back. I'll have to look into it.
    Yeah, you're right. Though Atari still seem to have the publishing rights to games like Baldur's Gate, which is why they're publishing the Enhanced Editions.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    Now watch, it'll be TORN, the project they were working on when Black Isle tanked.

I remember back in the day, the webforum was divided by arguments over whether gold should have weight. How silly we were.

Are there many people at Obsidian left with a particular strong connection to Torn though? Maldonado hasn't been with them since KOTOR2.

Dunno, just seems like they would go for other projects first.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    - Geospatial Hypotheticals Coordinator (...and Computer Game Designer) @ Obsidian Ent. Last Project: Fallout New Vegas + DLCs. Now: Wasteland 2 and ???

At this point i'm pretty sure this is going to be Obsidian's first Kickstarter project. (The one Avellone talked about in that planescape kotaku interview refering to "other" powerhouses in the studio)

Also Feargus has been bringin' in the good clothes to film something yesterday.....

*SUSPENSE*

Obsidian have three teams, don't they? So it doesn't necessarily mean it's the same as this one, though yeah, it is looking like it'll be the Kickstarter project.

Yeah, you're right. Though Atari still seem to have the publishing rights to games like Baldur's Gate, which is why they're publishing the Enhanced Editions.

I thought they didn't any more, which is why NWN and the like went down from gamersgate and the like for half a year

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Gold should have weight.

That was basically my position at the time. I was baffled that games let me carry around 100K gold coins in my belt pouch. "You should just have proper banking, and ditch the inflation. Make gold worth a lot, so there's a reason to change up your copper and silver. If you need more money than that, there's gems or platinum, or fantastic metals, or fucking letters of bank credit."

Looking at how much effort people put into auction house shenanigans, I beg to differ.

Daggerfall had a half-implemented economic system, in that there were banks, letters of credit etc.

And someone did the math and found that a single gold coin in Daggerfall was less than the size of a dime (since 100 gold has X weight, divide that weight by 100, then figure out the volume that mass of gold would occupy assuming pure gold, then toss in a few alloying materials). Not that it mattered because when you're carrying around hundreds of the things, the weight adds up.

However, like most systems in Daggerfall it was open to absolutely ludicrous exploitation. Like, for instance, going to some no-name province, taking out an absolutely staggering loan, leaving the province, not paying it back, and just never going to that place ever again. No one would ever come for you for non-payment, because crime and such was tracked per province.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Spoit wrote: »

*SUSPENSE*

I thought they didn't any more, which is why NWN and the like went down from gamersgate and the like for half a year

Atari licensed the rights back after the dispute. Hasbro still owns it, but new games with the license (Baldur's Gate EE, that new Neverwinter game) Hasbro is allowing Atari to make.

Technically Hasbro has had the rights back since 2005, but Atari got a 10 year exclusive publishing deal for Dungeons & Dragons when this happened. Part of this deal was that Atari needed to not have business with the license that could help Hasbro's competitors. The lawsuit alleged that when Atari sold a decent chunk of its' assests to Namco Bandai (including some studios that were working on games involved in the property), it broke that part of the deal, which allowed Hasbro to end that 10 year exclusive business. Presumably this also screwed with some recent stuff like Atari's repackaging of the old classics, which is why they disappeared from certain sites. Now, since both companies like money they are still in business, just that Hasbro is no longer beholden to Atari's 10 year deal (and presumably worked out a better deal than before).

Corpekata on
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    With the Ouroboros symbol and the recent Kotaku interview with Avellone on what a spiritual sequel to Planescape would look like. I'm kinda inclined that's what were in store for .

• Options
    MechMantis wrote: »
    Gold should have weight.

Daggerfall had a half-implemented economic system, in that there were banks, letters of credit etc.

And someone did the math and found that a single gold coin in Daggerfall was less than the size of a dime (since 100 gold has X weight, divide that weight by 100, then figure out the volume that mass of gold would occupy assuming pure gold, then toss in a few alloying materials). Not that it mattered because when you're carrying around hundreds of the things, the weight adds up.

However, like most systems in Daggerfall it was open to absolutely ludicrous exploitation. Like, for instance, going to some no-name province, taking out an absolutely staggering loan, leaving the province, not paying it back, and just never going to that place ever again. No one would ever come for you for non-payment, because crime and such was tracked per province.

Yeah, I remember Daggerfall. I think Arena was similarly ambitious-but-not-thought-out.

Does anyone remember what Darklands did with banks?

Anyway, I think it can be done well, it's possible. We already have Fallout games making people calculate weight-to-value for loot; they just continue to heave weightless trading currencies (I wonder how much a hundred thousand bottlecaps should weigh...) to roll them into.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Some people have speculated that the game is either The Black Hound or a "basically The Black Hound" game. If you're curious about that, Obsidian dev Josh Sawyer has written a "what is that" blog post about the game.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Egos wrote: »
    With the Ouroboros symbol and the recent Kotaku interview with Avellone on what a spiritual sequel to Planescape would look like. I'm kinda inclined that's what were in store for .

Read the article again, he specifically mentions its not going to be their first kickstarter project.

Also, Chris would probably be leading the project if it was the Planescape Sequel. Josh Sawyer is spearheading this one.

C2B on
  • Options
    Friday, you need to arrive faster.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Pic

1.jpg

<!--. T . X X I T X -->
    <!-- There is no sleep for the Watcher. -->

• Options
    We still wait. About that Alpha Protocol, how do you find Marburg's chopper? :P

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    DuriniaDurinia Evolved from Space Potatoes Registered User regular
    Friday, you need to arrive faster.

this-1.gif

For business reasons, I must preserve the outward sign of sanity.
    --Mark Twain
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Don't trust the skull.

It's gotta be.

• Options
    Vaguely LightningproofVaguely Lightningproof Registered User regular
    The talk about guilt makes me think Black Hound or Black-Hound-Alike.

From Wiki regarding The Black Hound: 'The game's motto would have been: "You cannot kill guilt"'

• Options
    Don't trust the skull.

It's gotta be.

I seriously hope not. All respect for Sawyer, but for a Planescape alike game I'd rather have Avellone 100% on it in Lead.

• Options

And then we got to wait for the game to come out. I got Dragon's Dogma to keep me busy until then.

Check DD guys. It is worth it.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    edited September 2012
    OffTopic:

Tim Donley (Lead Artist of Planescape: Torment. Now Development Director at Vigil) talking about artists he likes for a friends class:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQq2u5nkU00

Tweeted by Avellone

C2B on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Avellone called it "the most amazing art lesson video ever" although he may be biased. At about the 4 minute mark is when I started laughing and couldn't stop. Your mileage may vary.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular

Oh, so it's a Buffy: the Vampire Slayer game. Bold move after so many years. :P

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Avellone called it "the most amazing art lesson video ever" although he may be biased. At about the 4 minute mark is when I started laughing and couldn't stop. Your mileage may vary.

This video is why you don't do Ecstasy before posting on the Internet, kids.

captaink on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    I think that was the single most irritating thing I've heard all year.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular

You know, if Whedon teamed up with Avellone to make this, I'd be all about it.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Drake wrote: »

You know, if Whedon teamed up with Avellone to make this, I'd be all about it.

If Whedon and Avellone got together I'd just throw up my hands and walk away

No way that game is going to be anything but a slow-motion dialogue train wreck

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    That video should be watched with headphones for sure.

XBL - ArchSilversmith