Options

Pillars of Eternity: I updated the FUCK out of the OP, everyone! [Obsidian's New RPG]

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Rami wrote: »
    Well have you played any infinity engine games? Because it will probably play identically but with a better UI and resolution.

If it's UI is better, maybe

I tried to play Baldur's Gate II a few years ago and couldn't even get through the tutorial dungeon, it was so bad

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    Someone on GAF actually backed $1000, holy crap.

abh35.png

• Options
    ThemadcowThemadcow Registered User regular
    Backed. $35k in the first 20 mins, not bad.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    seems like the game won't be true turn based? that's a shame - i preferred ToEE over any of the other D20 cRPGs because turn based combat was much more fun

at least it probably won't be a D20 bastardization

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    OK we get to keep the thread although I'm not supposed to link to the Kickstarter and probably nobody else is? I don't know. In any case, some words of encouragement from Josh Sawyer:

• Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    From that interview, it sounds like dealing with the true turn-based -> real-time w/ pausing thing was always a concern in the D&D adaptations (understandably so)...but it won't be a problem since they're designing their system from the ground up for this game.

• Options
    SerukoSeruko Ferocious Kitten of The Farthest NorthRegistered User regular
    backed, loved, cherished.

"How are you going to play Dota if your fingers and bitten off? You can't. That's how" -> Carnarvon
    "You can be yodeling bear without spending a dime if you get lucky." -> reVerse
    "In the grim darkness of the future, we will all be nurses catering to the whims of terrible old people." -> Hacksaw
    "In fact, our whole society will be oriented around caring for one very decrepit, very old man on total life support." -> SKFM
    I mean, the first time I met a non-white person was when this Vietnamese kid tried to break my legs but that was entirely fair because he was a centreback, not because he was a subhuman beast in some zoo ->yotes
  • Options
    EverionsoulEverionsoul Registered User regular
    Backed. Very happy to see they plan to expand on this in the future as I've really missed these types of games.

• Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    resisting putting in $1000, but it is hard

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    tweeted about it, but am broke.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Someone's already done a 10k pledge...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OP updated. Since we don't know anything that was a pretty easy OP.

• Options
    Shakes999Shakes999 Registered User regular
    Wow, its avg about 15 grand every 10 minutes. Jesus.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    I talked myself down from the ledge. $250 pledged.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I'd be worried their kickstarter would have a lot of bugs...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    The office is amazing right now at @Obsidian. Everyone is amazed at the support.

C2B on
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    I think they're going to have to come up with some stretch goals, right quick.

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Someone's already done a 10k pledge...
    If I had money like Noch or Gabe & Tycho, I would.

• Options
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Baked in Mac support at launch? I would SERIOUSLY start throwing money. Like, holy balls, money, here, TAKE IT.

• Options

they mention having a list of stretch goals ready so I guess they are just waiting till it gets close.

• Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Pledged! If you don't, Steven Heck will break your knees.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    i pledged $35 because i am a shameless obsidian fanboy

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    I tend to think that stretch goals are generally a bad idea. Unless you're building something that will have a low operating expense, you're generally making things more difficult on yourself by adding in new content with the stretch goals.

Especially with software products. Get what you originally intended to get done first. If you have additional time and revenue to work with, great - but don't waste my pledged dollars on t-shirts or other physical nonsense, and don't let design creep turn the game into DNF.

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Sheep wrote: »

And then he will set you on fire.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Sheep wrote: »

And then he will set you on fire.

And then drink kerosene and piss it on you.

• Options
    $

I posted that on the last page :(

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    I tend to think that stretch goals are generally a bad idea. Unless you're building something that will have a low operating expense, you're generally making things more difficult on yourself by adding in new content with the stretch goals.

Especially with software products. Get what you originally intended to get done first. If you have additional time and revenue to work with, great - but don't waste my pledged dollars on t-shirts or other physical nonsense, and don't let design creep turn the game into DNF.

A stretch goal for cross-platform support would be more than appropriate. That's one I've seen quite a bit. And like I said above, good god would they get my money.

• Options

What if the stretch goal is they are bringing George Ziets (Mask of the Betrayer) back on board?

• Options
    GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    Well, my "I'm only buying xcom this year" thing just went right out the window.

• Options
    C2B wrote: »
    $

Whoops, sorry. Trying to beat you with links is a pitched battle.

• Options
    DuriniaDurinia Evolved from Space Potatoes Registered User regular
    GrimmyTOA wrote: »
    Well, you aren't actually "buying" it, per se. So I think you can claim the moral high ground just fine.

For business reasons, I must preserve the outward sign of sanity.
    --Mark Twain
  • Options
    GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    Durinia wrote: »
    GrimmyTOA wrote: »
    Well, you aren't actually "buying" it, per se. So I think you can claim the moral high ground just fine.

Good enough for me.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Whoops, sorry. Trying to beat you with links is a pitched battle.

;) I wasn't serious. Didn't post the Kotaku article as well

As for your OP. Gamebanshee had some Bulletpoints you could use for it:

Project Eternity is based on an original game universe by Obsidian Entertainment's Chris Avellone, Josh Sawyer, Tim Cain, and Adam Brennecke.
    The game is a top-down party-based RPG heavily inspired by Infinity Engine-style games like Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale.
    Instead of 3D graphics, Project Eternity uses 2D pre-rendered and hand-painted backdrops, just like old Infinity Engine titles, but improved by modern technology.
    Project Eternity uses its own rule set built from the ground-up by Obsidian, and features party-based, real-time-with-pause tactical combat.
    The character system will feature not just extensive combat abilities, but non-combat ones as well, from diplomacy to deception.
    The game features adult subject matter and will explore social and political issues that some other RPGs shy away from.
    Project Eternity features voice acting as "flavor", while allowing for extensive, reactive conversation trees in the style of Planescape: Torment.
    Players take on the role of a single fixed character and are accompanied by companions throughout the game, similar to Baldur's Gate.
    The game will be funded on Kickstarter in a manner similar to Wasteland 2 and Shadowrun Returns.
    Project Eternity is PC-exclusive, and will be later ported to Mac and Linux.

Also, Tim Cain is more than neat. Without him Fallout wouldn't exist at all. (And presumably Black Isle would have had a much harder start) He's basically the godfather of these dudes.
    *fanboy spergin'*

C2B on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Didn't Atari recently lose all its publishing rights to d&d games? I really hope this could be a new neverwinter-nights like game (Obviously minus the Neverwinter Nights name as its about to get shit on.) since the game is apparently PC exclusive it lends me to believe that it may be the case of something like this, with a robust editor included in the game that only a purely PC title can do. I can hope right?

edit: I need to read past the first pages.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    why isn't the kickstarter link in the op?

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    kaliyama wrote: »
    why isn't the kickstarter link in the op?
    forum rules on kickstarter I think

• Options
    dporowski wrote: »

A stretch goal for cross-platform support would be more than appropriate. That's one I've seen quite a bit. And like I said above, good god would they get my money.
    That'd be great!
    What if the stretch goal is they are bringing George Ziets (Mask of the Betrayer) back on board?
    He also did LOTRO, DDO, and Dungeon Siege 3. Pass.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Them be the rules I guess, no kickstart linking.

I am very happy with a BG2 style game, though I would like more info on the setting. Basicly, the further from 'standard rpgland' the better, at least for me.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK