Options

Pillars of Eternity: I updated the FUCK out of the OP, everyone! [Obsidian's New RPG]

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    being creative lead on MotB outweighs any and all sins

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Don't know about Dungeon Siege 3, but LotrO/DDO were quite decent in a story sense, they just weren't that great in the gameplay department (Also DDO was really short at launch).

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Huh, I didn't notice that they were going with 2D backgrounds. Man they are gonna be drawing so much art.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    dungeon siege 3 was surprisingly good for a diablo style game, story wise

even had some choices

i liked it a lot

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    C2B wrote: »
    I think they're going to have to come up with some stretch goals, right quick.
    I tend to think that stretch goals are generally a bad idea. Unless you're building something that will have a low operating expense, you're generally making things more difficult on yourself by adding in new content with the stretch goals.
    What if the stretch goal is they are bringing George Ziets (Mask of the Betrayer) back on board?
    He also did LOTRO, DDO, and Dungeon Siege 3. Pass.

He was just a quest designer of both and both of those are faaaar from the worst written MMO's. Especially LOTRO is regarded as being the best adaption of Tolkien's world so far.

And Dungeon Siege III's story was far from bad. Just not really big. Jeyne is probably Obsidian's greyest charachter (In that everything "evil" she does, she does out of her, the truth corresponding, view of justice) and Odo is well written too (Especially his refusal to accept that he did everything just for an ideal he had as a loyal soldier and not the truth)

And Mask of the Betrayer counts as one of the (if not the) best written modern crpgs.

That's like saying Avellone sucks because of Dark Alliance, Champions and NWN2.

• Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    can't tycho just put it in his sig?

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    I'm laughing hard at the fact that the 10,000 tier gets you tickets to the launch party and all that stuff, but you still have to pay your way there haha

• Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    with these $10,000 tiers, I'm always curious if they have secret celebrity admirers (like with Vin Diesel and Mass Effect) or if they are just normal rich people.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    And Mask of the Betrayer counts as one of the (if not the) best written modern crpgs.
    ...eh. It was good, but I found no replay value in it.
    Two pretty good hack & slashes from last gen, and one of my favorite crpgs? OK, he can take that hit.

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    That $250 tier reward is pretty enticing.

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Watching that video, it's fun pointing out to my boyfriend, "Hey we know that guy, and that guy, and that guy!" Cause we drink with them on a weekly basis. :D

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Might be important:
    #ProjectEternity: We were silly. All tiers $500 and above have free international shipping. We'll try to get that amended!

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Watching that video, it's fun pointing out to my boyfriend, "Hey we know that guy, and that guy, and that guy!" Cause we drink with them on a weekly basis. :D

So you could probably play a game with them without having to pay $10,000? You lucky SoBs.

Egos on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    kaliyama wrote: »
    What do you take me for, some kind of corporate shill? Just because I want to be sucking Avellone's cock doesn't mean I actually am.

(I'm joking please don't think I'm creepy I just want to marry you it can even be platonic)

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    kaliyama wrote: »
    What do you take me for, some kind of corporate shill? Just because I want to be sucking Avellone's cock doesn't mean I actually am.

(I'm joking please don't think I'm creepy I just want to marry you it can even be platonic)

i like your moxie girl

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    Pledged my $20. Might up it to $35.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/TheEFenster
    You didn't hear it from me but there's a rumor that if we hit 1.5 million, @Feargus is going to fight a puff adder. #ProjectEternity

• Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    I sprained my wrist pulling my wallet out of my pocket to throw money at this. Worth it.

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    Side Bet:

Who thinks they'll hit 1mil before the end of the weekend?

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    Weekend? They'll hit it in a day!

• Options
    edited September 2012
    I doubt they'll make it that far: the initial burst is always huge because you get the big fans (and right now their success is astronomical: they're almost 25% of the way there) but things die down after that. The only way for them to hit 1 million before the end of the weekend is if the big fans of classic RPGs are in love with Obsidian specifically, to the tune of $1,000,000, and for that to be true I suspect they'd all have to love the company as much as I do, or as much as @C2B would if he weren't actually Obsidian in human form and thus incapable of loving himself to an excessive degree without falling into narcissism.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    How about in 24 hours?

• Options
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    Side Bet:

Who thinks they'll hit 1mil before the end of the weekend?
    $250k in 2.5 hours? Seems likely, unless Kickstarter is slow on the weekends.

• Options
    Obsidian's website crashed.

And I had plans......

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Alright, I locked in a $20 pledge while I stew over the $250 item.

• Options
    SlimceaSlimcea Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Backed so so hard.

Doubtful they'll make it over the weekend, but they should comfortably hit the upper 2 million range I'd guess. If even Planetary Annihilation managed to get over $2M in pledges despite not being in the public spotlight for sometime, I'd expect Obsidian, with the much higher profile, to pull in more money. What's more, there are no more major Kickstarter projects competing for funding now - the most recent high profile ones being PA/Broken Sword, all of which will be ending soon. It's the first time my Starred projects list has actually been empty really.

Slimcea on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    0vhxL.gif

• Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    ...eh. It was good, but I found no replay value in it.
    Two pretty good hack & slashes from last gen, and one of my favorite crpgs? OK, he can take that hit.

That's like saying "The Great Gatsby...eh, it was good, but it was short and I knew what was going to happen when I read it again."

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Slimcea wrote: »
    Backed so so hard.

Doubtful they'll make it over the weekend, but they should comfortably hit the upper 2 million range I'd guess. If even Planetary Annihilation managed to get over $2M in pledges despite not being in the public spotlight for sometime, I'd expect Obsidian, with the much higher profile to pull in more. What's more, there are no more major Kickstarter projects competing for funding now - the most recent one being PA/Broken Sword, all of which will be ending soon. It's the first time my Starred projects list has actually been empty really.

PAnnihilation got my support the second they declared "Mac support" and "campaign mode". This is getting my support anyway, but I suspect if they declare launch mac compatibility the numbers may manage to go even faster. (Seriously, it's like 2k/minute right now, it's insane.)

• Options
    I once picked up The Great Gatsby and started reading it and realized I had forgotten how it ended. I remembered pretty soon though. If I had been able to keep that feeling, though, perhaps by doing the thing the guy in Planescape: Torment did when he drank that thing from the museum, then that would've been sort of cool.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Holy crap, man, this is 2d. Imagine how well this could work with laptops. I just realised...

• Options
    edited September 2012
    motb's replay value was kinda stymied by that fact nwn2's combat engine wasn't great

but the game was worth at least 2 playthroughs because
    fighting the soul eater curse vs. using & abusing the curse had a huge impact on the game, your relationship w/ the companions, etc.

and the evil soul eater endings are fucking incredible

P10 on
  • Options
    I doubt they'll make it that far: the initial burst is always huge because you get the big fans (and right now their success is astronomical: they're almost 25% of the way there) but things die down after that. The only way for them to hit 1 million before the end of the weekend is if the big fans of classic RPGs are in love with Obsidian specifically, to the tune of $1,000,000, and for that to be true I suspect they'd all have to love the company as much as I do, or as much as @C2B would if he weren't actually Obsidian in human form and thus incapable of loving himself to an excessive degree without falling into narcissism.

300k already dude

nerds with wallets are out of control

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    0vhxL.gif

Avellone as Jim Carrey makes just too much sense.

• Options
    P10 wrote: »
    motb's replay value was kinda stymied by that fact nwn2's combat engine wasn't great

but the game was worth at least 2 playthroughs because
    fighting the soul eater curse vs. using & abusing the curse had a huge impact on the game, your relationship w/ the companions, etc.

and the evil soul eater endings are fucking incredible
    See, I played NWN2 base like two or three times.

Also,
    I did the right story (evil) the first time, there was no need to go back and be a carebear.

• Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVmbhYKDKfU

Also it's only half without the track

• Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    Fuck, now I want to go back and play NWN2 again. I never finished either of the main campaigns.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular

300k already dude

nerds with wallets are out of control

There should be a pretty big bump around when the work day ends, too.

• Options
    i can't imagine ever playing through the nwn2 OC again

not that it wasn't enjoyable the first time through...but act 1 was such a slog, optimizing crossroad keep was tedious, the companions are so dull/irrelevant compared to MotB companions, managing influence was a hassle, etc.

then again i started a playthrough of nwn1 oc over the summer - speaking of bad act 1s...

• Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    The only reason I'd deal with NWN OC is to have a "proper" history going into MotB.