As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pillars of Eternity: I updated the FUCK out of the OP, everyone! [Obsidian's New RPG]

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    i will kill all cipher spider dudes dead. DEAD.

all will sleep soundly once i'm through with them.

In a shocking twist, one of your party members is a cipher spider thing!
    The love interest.

• Options
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    What's that other game I'm thinking of that had a similar system. Where you had to melee attack to build magic to use on spells. It wasn't exactly the same but reminiscent at least. I've heard of something like that before, definitely, but I can't put my finger on it.

Either way, it sounds super interesting. I'm always a fan of the front line battle mage type class.

You build resources with basic attacks to launch impressive spells and shit in The Secret World, but that's not it. I think we're thinking of the same game, but have a similar brainfart when it comes to the name. I've definitely come across it before, but it's a mechanic I like so I'm all for more of it.

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited October 2013

You get your cipher powers after you have been bitten by a radioactive wild vithrack.

Josh is a genius!

Just remember, with great psychic power...

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    Rhan9 wrote: »

In a shocking twist, one of your party members is a cipher spider thing!
    The love interest.

That's DLC. :P

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    Pretty much all of the status effects that are applied per-hit have scaling impact based on the base speed of the weapon.
    No Attribute affects multiple defenses. Deflection (used to block direct melee and ranged attacks) and Reflexes (used to dodge unblockable attacks, typically AoEs) are affected by different Attributes.

• Options
    That's old info. Let me give you the NEW DEAL.

A character's DT is primarily determined by whatever is equipped in his or her body slot. I.e., we're using "regular" D&D-style slotting, so helmets, gloves, booties, etc. affect different, non-DT things.

That outfit or armor has a base Damage Threshold. Based on the type of outfit or armor that it is (e.g. mail, plate, leather), it has percentage modifiers to that base DT vs. specific damage types. For example, mail is always stinky against Crush, so its Crush DT modifier may be -25%. Plate is always bad against Shock, so its Shock DT modifier may be -50%.

Let's take standard mail armor and standard plate armor. I'm making these values up as I go along. Mail has 8 DT and plate has 12 DT. Against Crush, that same suit of mail has 6 DT. Against Shock, that plate has 6 DT.

Now suppose you find a suit of fine mail and a suit of exceptional plate. The fine mail has 10 DT and the exceptional plate has 16 DT. The mail still has -25% Crush DT and the plate still has -50% Shock DT, so their Crush and Shock values are 7.5 and 8, respectively (and yes, we do track decimal values).

Added damage from properties like Burning or Shocking are always compared to a fixed percentage of the target's DT (I think it's 25%), modified by the base type's weaknesses (if any).

So, let's take that suit of plate again. It has 12 DT, -50% Shock (6 Shock DT). You hit a plate-wearing enemy while wielding Godansthunyr, a unique war hammer that has the Shocking property. You do 22 points of Crush or Pierce damage (whichever the target is more vulnerable to -- that's a property of war hammers). Plate is not vulnerable to either, so that 12 gets subtracted right off and you do 10 points to the target. BUT WAIT. The Shocking property does (again, made up) 30% of the inflicted damage as Shock damage. That's 6.6 Shock compared to 25% of the plate's DT (3), but that is further reduced by the plate's inherent vulnerability to Shock (-50%), leaving a measly 1.5 points of Shock DT. 6.6 - 1.5 = 5.1 Shock damage is inflicted on the target.

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    What's that other game I'm thinking of that had a similar system. Where you had to melee attack to build magic to use on spells. It wasn't exactly the same but reminiscent at least. I've heard of something like that before, definitely, but I can't put my finger on it.

Either way, it sounds super interesting. I'm always a fan of the front line battle mage type class.

You build resources with basic attacks to launch impressive spells and shit in The Secret World, but that's not it. I think we're thinking of the same game, but have a similar brainfart when it comes to the name. I've definitely come across it before, but it's a mechanic I like so I'm all for more of it.

Every ARPG that has blue orbs and barbarians in diablo 3 come to mind.

rockrnger on
  • Options
    The main upside to turning off Soul Whip is that you do full (normal) damage. When Soul Whip is active, your weapon-based damage is reduced
    I disagree. Druids and clerics are both really powerful spellcasters in 3.X. That they have melee capability on top of that is icing on the cake.

I would say that our (PE) priests have shifted away from the original concept of them being melee/caster hybrids. They are closer-range casters than wizards, but they aren't particularly strong in melee (paladins take on the role of close-combat support). Their spells are designed to be on par with wizards' in overall power, but they have a different flavor and trend differently. E.g., wizards have some nice personal buffs but virtually no area buffs. Priests have a few personal buffs, but have a lot of huge AoE buffs.

When druids are in their spirit forms, they can be powerful melee opponents, but that is a limited-use ability. They're still primarily casters.

wdiq1Oe.png

• Options
    rockrnger wrote: »

Every ARPG that has blue orbs and barbarians in diablo 3 come to mind.

I think some Paladin-ish that produced auras had that. Maybe one of the classes in the Warhammer MMO.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Technically, we don't have rifles, only smoothbore arquebuses, blunderbusses, and pistols. They are all relatively inaccurate, but the blunderbuss has more opportunities to miss hit. The advantage of the pistol is that it has a much faster reload than the arquebus or blunderbuss. Bows reload pretty darn quickly followed by crossbows, then arbalests, then pistols. The arquebus and blunderbuss both take the same amount of time to reload. They're slow, but not "realistically" slow. Much like F:NV's single-action reloads, the firearm reloads follow all of the required steps but are performed with extraordinary confidence and dexterity.
    All two-handed weapon types do more damage than one-handed weapon types. Individual types each have their own specific advantage. Estocs negate a fixed amount of DT, pikes have increased reach, etc.
    Currently, it's displayed in the tooltip. An enemy's tooltip starts out with defense and DT numbers filled in with grey ???. As you attack the target's defenses, they get filled in with the real values. Additionally, we're planning to allow the bestiary entries to temp-fill those values. So if you've defeated a certain number of ogres, you basically know what the Platonic form of ogre has for defenses. When you encounter an ogre, those grey ???s will be replaced with grey "Platonic form" values. An individual ogre's defenses may vary from that base, but that's what you'll start with until you attack those defenses.

If any of your characters are currently selected and have attacks prepped, their relative Accuracy stats with those attacks will be displayed next to the target's corresponding defenses. If an Accuracy is lower than a comparable defense, it is displayed in red. If higher, it's displayed in blue. If multiple attackers are attacking the same defense, their Accuracy is displayed as an average and notated accordingly.

Finally, most/all of these display options can be disabled or are automatically disabled in Expert mode.

E: If you hover on any entry in the combat log, you get a "verbose" dump of all of the elements that contribute to the formula.

• Options
    I hope they can show the combat system in a video soon.

Are firearms available to everyone?

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    4tfYFR3.png

• Options
    Have they mentioned sword and shield before?

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Currently the only things that go on the back are cloaks/capes or secondary weapons (if large). That equipment slot is also used for neck gear (e.g. amulets).
    Head, hands (not weapon), feet, neck, ring 1/2, weapon 1/2, body.

There are also quick item slots, alternate weapon sets, and (for wizards) grimoire slots.
    Yeah, I mean additional sets. I think I explained it earlier in the thread, but all characters start with two weapon sets (two slots each). The equipment you put in those slots does not interfere with what you put in other slots (e.g. the neck slot). However, if you have a big weapon that would normally display on the back, it doesn't display if you have a cloak equipped (because it would clip badly).
    We're continuing to experiment with cloth solutions. They've been promising so far.
    Smaller weapons get put at a character's sides, so they will display if you have a cloak equipped.

• Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    Between this and Destiny, I'll have plenty of material to satiate my cloak fetish for the foreseeable future.

Did I say cloak fetish? I meant deep appreciation for procedural cloth physics.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    A velour cape as DLC. :)

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Man, capes are the shit. Capes and cloaks for errybody.

• Options
    Nope, they're just magnetically attached. There's way too much variation in weapon/creature/armor size and shape for us to try to integrate them on relatively small characters.

• Options
    Yes. Wizard grimoires are a sort of magical capacitor that are constructed and partitioned in *~ special ~* ways. A single grimoire can only hold four spells of any given level. For any given spell level, wizards have potential access to more spells than any other caster class, but their access at any particular moment is always limited by their current grimoire. You can switch grimoires, but if you do it in combat, you will lose access to all of your spells for a small* amount of time.

* Long enough to make it risky, short enough to be a viable tactic in certain circumstances.
    Priests and druids don't prepare spells. They have access to a full list, though that list is smaller than what wizards have access to. Priests, druids, and wizards all eventually get their per-rest spell levels turned into per-encounter and eventually their per-encounter lists get turned into unlimited use (at-will, in 4E terminology).

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    C2B wrote: »
    Nope, they're just magnetically attached. There's way too much variation in weapon/creature/armor size and shape for us to try to integrate them on relatively small characters.

Just for clarity: Weapons? Cloaks? Both? I assume both, but now I demand sheaths and clasps and...!

• Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    C2B wrote: »

Just for clarity: Weapons? Cloaks? Both? I assume both, but now I demand sheaths and clasps and...!

Stop dancing around the fact that you want the game to have an embroidery kit and the ability to add sequins to everything.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Whoa, this is the Project Eternity thread? I had no idea, thanks to the title.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Whoa, this is the Project Eternity thread? I had no idea, thanks to the title.
    That's the title of the game now.

• Options
    Of the OEI devs, I probably have the most experience playing and DMing across various editions of A/D&D (B/E/C, 1st, 2nd, 3.X, 4E) and Pathfinder. I've had fun in every edition despite the reservations I've had about mechanics in each one. After playing 3.X and 4E for years, 2nd Ed. looks insane in retrospect but that's where I played and DMed my most enjoyable campaigns. That said, I think 4E is the most mechanically balanced and consistent edition of A/D&D. It addresses issues that I think needed to be addressed (e.g. rogues being a pile of garbage in most fights, two different types of attack resolution mechanics: AC and saves) and the advancement mechanics are much more consistent. It still has issues, but I enjoy playing it. I also enjoy playing 3.5 and running Pathfinder. The players, DM/GM, and content of the session have much more impact for me than the specific system being used.

The things we've taken from 4E largely focus on consistency in mechanics and trying to achieve distinct but equivalent value between classes. Like 4E, PE has four target defenses that all work similarly. Whether you're attacking with a sword or a spell or against a target's Deflection or Psyche, the mechanics are consistent. Like 4E, no class is a non-combat class or a designated "skill class". Unlike pretty much every edition of A/D&D, base weapon and armor types are designed to allow you to switch them per character over the course of that character's career. Unlike 4E, classes do not all have the same number of active-use abilities. PE is a single-player game in which the player controls up to 6 characters. Not all characters need to do the same amount of things, though they all should feel like they have interesting options. And as I've written previously, PE's Attributes system is designed to avoid dump stats, something that continues to be an issue for every edition of A/D&D.
    PE doesn't put any special marking on quest-related NPCs. We also don't use quest markers. You have to read what NPCs say and refer to your journal to figure out where to go. That said, we've established a standard for writing those entries that should ensure you will always know generally where you're supposed to be heading.

Re: portraits: we've revised them a little bit. We are currently using two sizes of portraits, one for the character/inventory/dialogue screen and one for the main HUD. The "big" portrait is 210x330, the size of BG and IWD portraits. The smaller portraits are 73x86, though that size may change a little. The larger portraits are "head and shoulders" with a bit extra, the closest comparison would be BG1 portraits. For the companion portraits we've done so far, Kaz has managed to really capture some engaging characters. I think you will like them.

The smaller portraits are cropped to just the face for easy recognition.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    what

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    "what" what?

• Options
    KhaczorKhaczor Registered User regular
    PE doesn't put any special marking on quest-related NPCs. We also don't use quest markers. You have to read what NPCs say and refer to your journal to figure out where to go. That said, we've established a standard for writing those entries that should ensure you will always know generally where you're supposed to be heading.

This makes me excited.

• Options
    The majority of valuable loot will be hand-placed. The "lesser" value loot is lightly randomized. The exception to the high-value stuff will be unique items that are only discovered through the stronghold's event system. These will likely be "redundant" items so players don't have to worry about finding a good version of X base weapon or Y base armor. E.g. we have a mid-power morning star called The Rose of Salthollow. If a backer winds up making a mid-power morning star, either their weapon or our weapon will appear placed in the world and the other one may appear in the stronghold event system. If no backer makes a mid-power morning star, we're not going to put The Rose of Salthollow in the stronghold system.

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    If blunderbusses have shorter range, and the cipher can only soulsuck at shorter ranges, it may be neat to have a blinderbuss toting soulthief

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    "what" what?

In the butt?

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    what

PuaY61N.jpg

• Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    "what" what?

In the butt?

That's the South Park thread. :)

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    For the currently selected character:
    * Name/portrait
    * Health, Stamina, Accuracy (both hands, if dual-wielding), Damage Threshold (base)
    * All four defenses
    * "Paper doll"
    * Primary/secondary and hair/skin colors for that character
    * All equipment slots (including weapon sets and quick items)

and

For the party, either
    * The packs (previously called Top of Pack) for all party members
    OR
    * The stash

There are also filters you can turn on and off for every item type. The inventory screen also displays the party funds.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Could you supply the questions he's replying too as well, C2B? You can normally figure it out from context, but like what's the "For the party" bit? Which makes me wonder about the first part.

• Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Could you supply the questions he's replying too as well, C2B? You can normally figure it out from context, but like what's the "For the party" bit? Which makes me wonder about the first part.

I'm guessing the question is, "What do I see when I open a character's character screen?"

• Options
    Sorry. I'm a bit lazy here :)

Yes, its the charachter sheet\screen.

• Options
    o83wsHP.jpg

HYlzEyR.jpg

BXlkTpj.jpgdkbBLs1.jpgYUzcEJw.jpgGibmrgs.jpg

IvJmLwq.jpgUtsCbPr.jpgTk3my2j.jpgRIWCASR.jpgJjMqj26.jpg

u2NzI0V.jpgg9wVToj.jpgmS2BByl.jpghYHviRO.jpgOUqahsX.jpglMiuOBz.jpg

tglsRvF.jpgbZNxsOJ.jpgy3CPhpp.jpgt7xy7Dg.jpgjXK8TnH.jpgNxwsold.jpgIBEKEkD.jpgeVQ73Cu.jpg

• Options
    AchireAchire Isn't life disappointing? Yes, it is. Registered User regular
    There's never enough love for Arcanum.

• Options
    Genius.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    - That's horrible.

No, it's brilliant.