As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Doctor Who]: Still Not Ginger, After All These Years

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    So...
    Chrichton dies... again. He's going to beat Sean Bean's record at this rate. :P
    Also finally the chain is complete, a Farscape and Stargate actor in Who. Nerdgasms. 8-)

• Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    Finally watching last week's episode. Is it just me, or is everyone being awfully mean to Riddel for being bickering with a woman with no known accomplishments?

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Bagginses wrote: »
    Finally watching last week's episode. Is it just me, or is everyone being awfully mean to Riddel for being bickering with a woman with no known accomplishments?

Well, he was kind of doomed there. He was dealing with two really dominate women.

• Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    I liked this episode,

It had a theme. The resolution was a bit convenient, but I give them points for trying.

• Options
    Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular
    I thought this episode was pretty deec. Not Whithouse's best, but the Doctor got to wear a stetson again and I enjoyed watching it. It had nothing on last week's greatness, but still a nice addition to the show. Next week's looks really strange, no idea what it's about (but happy to see that Brian is back).

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Episode was ok. Not really fantastic. Plot was contrived even for doctor who. Stetsons are cool.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Third episode in a row that ends with someone dying in an explosion offscreen.

I'm not saying I'm sure that the Doctor will go back and save them all the last moment...but if it happens, I won't be surprised.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    I like this episode, even though some of the bits were predictable and cliche
    Like the Gunslinger becoming Marshall/Protector of the town

• Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    I thought it was solid. I liked it more than last week's. I had the horse part spoiled for me but it was still great. Also, next week looks pretty cool (those
    nurses look terrifying)

Double edit: you can read the spoiler-free preview on the SFX site here (little hints and snippets about what'll be in the episode). I'm calling it now:
    the skill the Doctor demonstrates is going to be the tasting-the-grass thing from The Hungry Earth

Okay final edit: It's interesting to note this is the third time
    Christmas has come up, and the third time we've had flickering lightbulbs show up

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    I'm calling it now:
    the skill the Doctor demonstrates is going to be the tasting-the-grass thing from The Hungry Earth
    I'm putting my money on
    headbutting people to give them a psychic infodump

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    Catalase wrote: »
    I'm calling it now:
    I'm putting my money on
    headbutting people to give them a psychic infodump

shit, actually, you might be right. Can't change my vote now though!

oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    I thought this was, with a couple of minor exceptions, a really good episode.

Amy's "that's not how we roll" was pretty hilarious.
    Obviously confirmation bias, but the Doctor's readiness to give him up also makes it seem like he really is getting hit by nano-Daleks.

There were a couple of lines about Daleks thrown into the episode as well.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    This was probably my favorite episode of the season so far, on visuals alone if nothing else. I'm a sucker for the old west in general, and the cyborg's black hat getup was just so damned cool. The ep hit on a lot of great tropes without overplaying them too hard, and Matt Smith had some truly excellent lines on top of it all.
    "Is he worth it?"
    "No, but you are."

SQUEE

• Options
    mnihilmnihil Registered User regular
    Certainly solid episode - and really beautiful (visually). What I dislike about a lot of Who episodes, though, is that the plot always seems to just... run along. I don't know, it's difficult to put my finger on.
    What I found impressive was Karen Gillan's acting. I thought she added a nice nuance of maturity to her performance.

• Options
    BookmoreBookmore Paris, FranceRegistered User new member
    'Who cares!? He's wearing a stetson! He said stetsons are cool in a previous episode!'
    Who knew they went so well with bowties, too.

Really enjoying these last 2 episodes as the show seems to take a break from massive, epic-scale adventures into something more gimmicky, true, but the change of tone as compared to previous seasons feels nice. Dinosaurs in Space felt very much like Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy at times, that other great piece of Brit sci-fi.

(Also, hi, first post etc.)

• Options
    mnihil wrote: »
    Certainly solid episode - and really beautiful (visually). What I dislike about a lot of Who episodes, though, is that the plot always seems to just... run along. I don't know, it's difficult to put my finger on.
    What I found impressive was Karen Gillan's acting. I thought she added a nice nuance of maturity to her performance.

I agree with the "run along" feel. None of my favorite Doctor Who episodes just "run along," which is why they're so good to rewatch. But you're right, this past episode definitely had a from A, to B, to C, to D kind of momentum which is great the first time when you're trying to figure out the mystery, but less fun on rewatches, which I always do.

Karen Gillan has really been on top form this series, I'm going to miss her when she leaves. She did convey a motherly quality in "Mercy," especially when talking to the Doctor about anything. She was calm and patient with him, and made him realize he was wrong. Good stuff.

"Doctor"
    "Ma'am"
    "...Fella." (Rory's face). HA.

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    mnihil wrote: »

I agree with the "run along" feel. None of my favorite Doctor Who episodes just "run along," which is why they're so good to rewatch. But you're right, this past episode definitely had a from A, to B, to C, to D kind of momentum which is great the first time when you're trying to figure out the mystery, but less fun on rewatches, which I always do.

Karen Gillan has really been on top form this series, I'm going to miss her when she leaves. She did convey a motherly quality in "Mercy," especially when talking to the Doctor about anything. She was calm and patient with him, and made him realize he was wrong. Good stuff.

"Doctor"
    "Ma'am"
    "...Fella." (Rory's face). HA.
    So in other words, the Doc's been getting nagged by his mother-in-law.

AManFromEarth on
    Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Interesting episode, seemed like another filler which isn't great after Dinosaurs.

I recently watched the Christmas Fish special and was wondering if there was ever any explanation about the "biting" fish? The Doctor gets bit twice while in the cryo vault, but there's no fish around him. Thinking someone (himself?) plucking hairs or something?

• Options
    Yeah, everyone thought that was gonna be a big deal for S6 and then nothing happened.

oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    How long (our time) was it between the angel forest and the universe/remember me thing? Was that in the same episode series?

DoctorDonna was the same season/series too,(?) so yeah, seems like a long shot now.

This schedule is hard to keep track of.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    How long (our time) was it between the angel forest and the universe/remember me thing? Was that in the same episode series?

DoctorDonna was the same season/series too,(?) so yeah, seems like a long shot now.

This schedule is hard to keep track of.

DoctorDonna was series 4.

A year of specials.

Time of Angles/Universe Reboot was series 5.

Then for a long time nothing happened.

And now it's series 7.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »

I'm not saying I'm sure that the Doctor will go back and save them all the last moment...but if it happens, I won't be surprised.
    Yeah but this time the Doctor didn't do anything wrong - he was trying to resolve things peacefully when the Jex chose to kill himself to end it. The Doctor was nearly begging him to leave.

JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Good episode; like the previous one I don't really get the complaints. But whatever.

There was quite a bit in this episode though, that I'm pretty sure will come up again. And a lot of things that were just hammering in themes from the last two episodes.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »

Yeah but this time the Doctor didn't do anything wrong - he was trying to resolve things peacefully when the Jex chose to kill himself to end it. The Doctor was nearly begging him to leave.
    Maybe he should go back and save Isaac.........................

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Just like the doctor, I too love anachronistic lighting.

Still, slightly "meh" episode, pretty predictable and felt like filler to boot.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    You people with your 'filler' complaints. Ongoing plot is the oddity, not the norm!

It was good fun and I enjoyed it. Robo-space-cowboy was awesome.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    You people with your 'filler' complaints. Ongoing plot is the oddity, not the norm!

It was good fun and I enjoyed it. Robo-space-cowboy was awesome.

I don't need ongoing plot to enjoy an ep of DW but if I liken a series of DW to a typical music album this was one of the tracks that wasn't good enough to be a single but fuck it, we'll stick in on there anyway because the album needs to have twelve tracks. Kinda felt like that.

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Didn't Moffat say somewhere that they made it a point to go away from a season spanning arc and basically just do single episodes?

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    Didn't Moffat say somewhere that they made it a point to go away from a season spanning arc and basically just do single episodes?

Yes, this season is supposed to be free from the heavy weight of an ongoing story. Or, at least, a significantly noticeable ongoing story.

• Options
    IgortIgort Registered User regular

Are you mayhap confusing season long arcs with two-parters? I remember them saying they were focusing more on single episodes as opposed to two-parters but I don't remember them saying they were going to shy away from the season long arc format.

• Options
    southwicksouthwick Registered User regular
    His name is Susan, and he would like you to respect his life choices.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    "This is what happens when you're alone for too long." was a horrible line since he was speaking sense! I was hoping they'd continue that argument, but maybe they'll get to it as the season goes.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    He was speaking sense, for a human, not for the doctor

• Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Igort wrote: »

Are you mayhap confusing season long arcs with two-parters? I remember them saying they were focusing more on single episodes as opposed to two-parters but I don't remember them saying they were going to shy away from the season long arc format.

Actually both. Moffat said a while ago there'd be no two-parters and no big story arc for series 7. I presume this applies to the second half of series 7 next year, but I'm not certain.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I kept on trying to remember where I'd seen the Gunslinger before. Had to look it up in the end.
    It was the mouth that I knew I'd seen.andrew-brooke.jpg

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    I kept on trying to remember where I'd seen the Gunslinger before. Had to look it up in the end.
    It was the mouth that I knew I'd seen.andrew-brooke.jpg

He has the same mouth as Matt Smith. :shock:

pressimageone.jpg

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Cyvros wrote: »

Actually both. Moffat said a while ago there'd be no two-parters and no big story arc for series 7. I presume this applies to the second half of series 7 next year, but I'm not certain.

Rule #1: Moffat Lies.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    It would be funny if all episodes this season have someone blowing up at the end. Then, on the last episode, the Doctor says, "Why does this keep happening?"

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    I didn't even realize Ben Browder was the Sheriff ...

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Mvrck wrote: »
    Cyvros wrote: »

Rule #1: Moffat Lies.

Yeah, I've completely given up on trusting Moffat on anything other than "we're doing x episodes starting on y date"

Mike Danger on
    oE0mva1.jpg
This discussion has been closed.