My art and hopefully future profession!

shuma`zashuma`za Registered User
edited September 2012 in Artist's Corner
Hey everyone, I've been trolling around the forums for quite some time but I thought I would share some of my artwork and see what you guys think of my shirt designs.



Looking forward to hearing your feedback!

Grifter on
«1

Posts

  • GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    You need to post your artwork & designs directly on the forum. If you've been "trolling" the forums then you should be acquainted with our rules.

  • shuma`zashuma`za Registered User
    ok well in that case...
    1p81n9.png
    ojfiv7.png
    33483kx.jpg
    2dt5a46.png

  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I'm not the worlds biggest fan of the "randomly mash up geek culture and throw it on a shirt" mentality that's sweeping the nation. Having said that, you are a good graphic designer from what I see there. Work on more original stuff.


    Arch wrote: »

    I never expected this burn from captain bushmeat
  • HalenHalen Registered User regular
    In terms of making it your future career, how does that work in terms of intellectual properties? Because there's a lot of them on there.

    Draw an egg.
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    None of these are based on your own properties. Do you have anything that uses original content, rather than somebody else's?

  • WalterMachadoWalterMachado Registered User
    In fact, it is commercial. People are more inclined to buy things that they are used to. Anything with a mario 1up mushroom sells nice on internet...

  • GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited September 2012
    It might sell, but the seller needs to purchase a license from Nintendo before they start selling it. Otherwise, Nintendo will come after you with a cease & desist letter. After that, if you continue to sell, they will just sue your ass. This is why Mike Mignola is pissed off with Teefury right now.

    I'm pretty sure that both CBS and HBO wouldn't be happy with somebody mashing their IPs together and selling it for profit.

    Grifter on
  • WalterMachadoWalterMachado Registered User
    edited September 2012
    If it just looks like, it is not ilegal. Had you ever seen the Cavalera tshirts?
    search for "camiseteria" images... a huge store here that do things very similar to famous brands, without paying a coin to the original brands
    http://www.chrisb.com.br/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/1010_tam9.gif

    WalterMachado on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    If it just looks like, it is not ilegal. Had you ever seen the Cavalera tshirts?
    search for "camiseteria" images... a huge store here that do things very similar to famous brands, without paying a coin to the original brands
    http://www.chrisb.com.br/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/1010_tam9.gif
    Sure, it may not be illegal, but the court costs to prove that you're not doing anything illegal would be more then enough to crush a typical small business before you see the inside of a court room.

    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
  • squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    Déjà vu.

    header_image_sm.jpg
    NibCromamateurhour
  • shuma`zashuma`za Registered User
    Ya Grifter, idk if you saw his facebook page when he was posting about teefury but i was the one basicly telling him off and that he was being petty as well that he has no real case against them. Art like this falls under the fair use parody copyright laws.. they can be vague at the best of times but guys like teefury and ript apparel know what they are doing to make sure they don't violate copyright laws... I think it's a thriving industrie and while some stuff isn't very good there are plenty of designs that are absolutely gorgious. You get a unique shirt with some of the best of nerd culture for a cheap price.. beats the hell out of going somewhere like jinx paying 20 some bucks and then seeing that same shirt at cons...

  • GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    That's fine. By all means, continue copying other people like Sheppard Fairy and using other people's intellectual property. It's not really any skin off my back. After all, I don't own the IP for any of these shows. I fail to see how using an image of Jim Parsons can be considered fair use but I'm not a lawyer. I'm pretty sure that if I created something original that I'd be pissed to see some company online using my characters to make a profit for themselves, though. If you think it's alright to profit on the back of somebody else's hard work then bully for you, mate.

    DversedDruhim
  • shuma`zashuma`za Registered User
    where sheppard screwed up was he traced the ap's image exactley and did not put it in any parody form.
    Like i said its a very vague legal area. As for mignola the design he was causing such a stink over was a really nice design that while hellboy inspired neither used the name hellboy, mignola's own art work or any logoes/symbols from hellboy. In my opion imitation is imitation is the highest form of flattery and there is a difference between stealing someones work and have that persons work inspire your own work.

  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    You're probably going to be hard pressed to get a bunch of artists who are generally working on their own comics/characters/properties to agree with you. Tee designers tend to get ripped off fairly heavily in Indonesia and other overseas markets and get plenty pissed about it, so of all people they should understand.

    I feel like a mutual respect among artists about their properties is a good game plan.


    Even if you totally disagree with what constitutes as respect for others intellectual properties, the fact is doing original work tends to really show and expand your skills. These are little more than vectorized mash ups, and I think you could do better.

    squidbunnyNibCromtapeslingerBelruel
  • GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    The copying of Fairy was in reference to you copying his Obama artwork design. Something that is rather prominent across the internet but seems rather tired after, what, four years of it?

    And if Fairy's issue was that he traced an image exactly then how is your first design posted as available on a t-shirt different since you seem to have traced an image of Jim Parsons and an image of the iron throne?

    In any case, if we move away from the discussion about fair play and IP I still have issues with these designs being incredibly derivative. The first one is probably the only one that has a new idea behind it. The rest of the lot seem like you found a design that somebody else did and you thought it'd be fun to copy. I find it very hard to find an original idea in any of these images.

    NibCromsquidbunnytynicDruhim
  • shuma`zashuma`za Registered User
    none of my designs are exact copies and all of my designs i check to make sure someone has not already done a similar design before starting.

    "my spot" is not an exact copy and differs because it is a satirical parody between two subjects. A good case in point would be the pregnant nude photo demi moore took for i beleive it was vanity fair years ago. naked gun took that same image and placed leslie nielsens head on the body, they tried to sue but because it was a parody the case was lost. now if i just put a traced image of sheldon on a shirt by itself THAT constitutes copyright infringement.

  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2012
    Okay. Copyright infringement aside, have you done/will you do/can you do any more original work and post it? works that aren't deriving from someone else's properties but show your own technical skills or interests in subject matter?

    Iruka on
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    shuma`za wrote: »
    none of my designs are exact copies and all of my designs i check to make sure someone has not already done a similar design before starting.

    Obviously, they are not exact copies... but , design wise all the heavy lifting was already done for you: Typography, layout, color. You mashed up a bunch of concepts together which have a really good technical execution, but are lacking creatively.

  • shuma`zashuma`za Registered User
    i have some other designs on my deviantart page but alot of it is older designs and contest work for ninjavideo before the feds shut em down

  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    If you want to make a profession out of it, I suggest branching out. If you look at places like http://www.mintees.com/ and http://dribbble.com/, you'll see that whats on top of the design world has alot of creativity pushed into it, even when its parody. You want to be able to show that you are more than just a tool for mushing two things together, but an artist with ideas, skill, and wit. Push yourself in a new direction.

  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    shuma`za wrote: »
    i have some other designs on my deviantart page but alot of it is older designs and contest work for ninjavideo before the feds shut em down

    Stop making excuses, post something that shows your creativity. How do you expect to make a living out of this if you cant produce original content?

    Do you have something that is not a tshirt? A brochure? A flyer? A drawing?

    MagicToaster on
  • shuma`zashuma`za Registered User
    i'm sorry but i disagree, art is subjective and rife with people who copy others be in subject, style, or medium. As well as what constitutes good art from bad... some people think pollock is an artistic genious. I think he was a depressed guy that splattered paint on a canvas like a three year old. Everyones entitled to their opinion and it doesn't bother me in the slightest that you like or don't like it.. i simply posted here to share my art and venture out with my designs beyond facebook and the group of fellow shirt artists.

  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Well, this board is primarily designed for people to get feedback on their art and design with the intention of improving. If you feel you have nothing to improve and are at the pinnacle of what will no doubt be a stellar career, then you probably won't get a lot of out of posting here.

    NibCromDruhim
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    The AC is primarily for people looking for critique and seeking to improve their work. If you aren't looking to expand your skill set or be criticized, you are in the wrong place. Check out the rules.

    There are plenty of places to simply showcase your work, but this isn't one of them! Good luck out there and I hope you push your work to more original pursuits anyway!

    tynicNibCrom
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    Whos talking abou
    shuma`za wrote: »
    i'm sorry but i disagree, art is subjective and rife with people who copy others be in subject, style, or medium. As well as what constitutes good art from bad...

    Ah! The swan song of mediocre people not willing to put effort into their work! good luck with your future artistic career!

  • shuma`zashuma`za Registered User
    oh not at all, i like constructive criticism and the amount of things i want/need to learn (like how the hell to use illustrator and stop using photoshop because i'm comfortable with it) could fill a bottomless well!
    i'm simply stating that doing artwork like mine and other shirt designers like me doesn't detract from creativity, all art is in essence recreating the wheel.

  • shuma`zashuma`za Registered User
    edited September 2012
    Whos talking abou
    shuma`za wrote: »
    i'm sorry but i disagree, art is subjective and rife with people who copy others be in subject, style, or medium. As well as what constitutes good art from bad...

    Ah! The swan song of mediocre people not willing to put effort into their work! good luck with your future artistic career!

    ok disagreeing with me or not liking my art is one thing but there really is no reason to be rude

    shuma`za on
  • Spectre-xSpectre-x Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    shuma`za wrote: »
    Whos talking abou
    shuma`za wrote: »
    i'm sorry but i disagree, art is subjective and rife with people who copy others be in subject, style, or medium. As well as what constitutes good art from bad...

    Ah! The swan song of mediocre people not willing to put effort into their work! good luck with your future artistic career!

    ok disagreeing with me or not liking my art is another but there really is no reason to be rude

    Lecturing your betters on what art really is must be at least ten times more rude than that, though.

    Dubious legality aside, the images you've "created" are shoddy, slapped-together drivel spawned from the absolute minimum amount of creativity a human being could possibly exert. 99% of the effort that went into those images went into the actual editing, with the 1% remaining being a generous estimate of how much effort it took to actually come up with the idea.

    Just because people have made art through appropriating, copying and altering pre-existing images doesn't mean that when you do it your work is immediately as valid as that of those who did so before. Andy Warhol, you are not. Shit, Todd Goldman you are not.

    Spectre-x on
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    shuma`za wrote: »
    Whos talking abou
    shuma`za wrote: »
    i'm sorry but i disagree, art is subjective and rife with people who copy others be in subject, style, or medium. As well as what constitutes good art from bad...

    Ah! The swan song of mediocre people not willing to put effort into their work! good luck with your future artistic career!

    ok disagreeing with me or not liking my art is one thing but there really is no reason to be rude

    I never agreed or disagreed with you on any point. I stated that none of your work has original layout, typography or color scheme and I asked to see original content in which you created these 3 points without using someone else's work as a template. You later went on a rant about how art is subjective.

    Unfortunately, when you deal with commercial design, such as I do, you cannot use the "subjective art" argument as a shield because you are not putting out art you are creating a product for consumers who will judge your work and deem it successful or a failure with their money.

  • Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    shuma`za wrote: »
    i'm sorry but i disagree, art is subjective and rife with people who copy others be in subject, style, or medium. As well as what constitutes good art from bad... some people think pollock is an artistic genious. I think he was a depressed guy that splattered paint on a canvas like a three year old. Everyones entitled to their opinion and it doesn't bother me in the slightest that you like or don't like it.. i simply posted here to share my art and venture out with my designs beyond facebook and the group of fellow shirt artists.

    Learning how to distinguish an informed opinion from an uninformed one is crucial to your development as an artist--especially when it comes to learning how to distinguish valid criticism from said uninformed opinion.

    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • Spectre-xSpectre-x Registered User regular
    shuma`za wrote: »
    i'm sorry but i disagree, art is subjective and rife with people who copy others be in subject, style, or medium. As well as what constitutes good art from bad... some people think pollock is an artistic genious. I think he was a depressed guy that splattered paint on a canvas like a three year old.

    Okay, yeah, you don't know what you're talking about whatsoever. Statements like this as well as your hilariously arrogant dismissal of everyone else's opinions and advice make it clear that you're only here to stroke your own ego, which is built on a foundation of derision and self-delusion. By all means, pursue your dream, though.

    Just be aware that if you maintain this attitude and level of quality, most of your future career will actually be spent warding off rats in an alley somewhere. Because nobody will buy these shirts. Because they are awful. And you might very well get sued into homelessness and prostitution.

  • shuma`zashuma`za Registered User
    Spectre-x wrote: »
    shuma`za wrote: »
    i'm sorry but i disagree, art is subjective and rife with people who copy others be in subject, style, or medium. As well as what constitutes good art from bad... some people think pollock is an artistic genious. I think he was a depressed guy that splattered paint on a canvas like a three year old.

    Okay, yeah, you don't know what you're talking about whatsoever. Statements like this as well as your hilariously arrogant dismissal of everyone else's opinions and advice make it clear that you're only here to stroke your own ego, which is built on a foundation of derision and self-delusion. By all means, pursue your dream, though.

    Just be aware that if you maintain this attitude and level of quality, most of your future career will actually be spent warding off rats in an alley somewhere. Because nobody will buy these shirts. Because they are awful. And you might very well get sued into homelessness and prostitution.

    I never dismissed anyones opinions. You seem more than willing to flaunt your arrogance when judging by your "webcomic" you don't seem to have much room to talk yourself on quality of work. I have no problems with people offering advice and opinions but your just a douch with a superiority complex.

  • MustangMustang Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Hey guys what's going on in this threa......
    e6f86f56-2c00-4eda-a18d-5611c4d4cfb8.gif

    Mustang on
    Derrick
  • GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    shuma`za wrote: »
    Spectre-x wrote: »
    shuma`za wrote: »
    i'm sorry but i disagree, art is subjective and rife with people who copy others be in subject, style, or medium. As well as what constitutes good art from bad... some people think pollock is an artistic genious. I think he was a depressed guy that splattered paint on a canvas like a three year old.

    Okay, yeah, you don't know what you're talking about whatsoever. Statements like this as well as your hilariously arrogant dismissal of everyone else's opinions and advice make it clear that you're only here to stroke your own ego, which is built on a foundation of derision and self-delusion. By all means, pursue your dream, though.

    Just be aware that if you maintain this attitude and level of quality, most of your future career will actually be spent warding off rats in an alley somewhere. Because nobody will buy these shirts. Because they are awful. And you might very well get sued into homelessness and prostitution.

    I never dismissed anyones opinions. You seem more than willing to flaunt your arrogance when judging by your "webcomic" you don't seem to have much room to talk yourself on quality of work. I have no problems with people offering advice and opinions but your just a douch with a superiority complex.

    Say what you will, but Spex took the time to create something original. And he created it without having to "rotoscope" a photo or two. Fact of the matter is, all of the heavy lifting in your designs above were done by somebody else. Whether that was Sheppard Fairy or the designer at Bacardi, is besides the point. You have nothing really original in what you've shown in this thread. Nothing. It's all completely derivative. So to try to insult somebody doing a web comic with their own artwork when your idea of a design is take some intellectual properties and mash them up in a way that you feel is original, is completely fucking stupid.

    If you feel that his artwork is so inferior, please post an original drawing that you've created. I don't care if you use somebody else's characters or ideas. Post one original piece of artwork that you created without sampling 90% of the artwork from somebody else.

  • shuma`zashuma`za Registered User
    edited September 2012
    and the both of you are fucking rude, egotistical elitists and i can see i've obviously wasted my time...
    please delete my account because i have absolutely no desire to be in a community filled with and run by negetive asshats who think their opinion is law.

    shuma`za on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Protip: if you've run out of methods to defend yourself, resorting to personal insults will not help your cause! Maybe there's something to learn, here?

    We're not out to get you, but you're acting very, very defensive (and unnecessarily offensive) when we're trying to explain something to you. What we're telling you is pretty valuable, too. We're trying to help you by delivering facts! And you seem like you don't want to hear critique. Sometimes, critiques are more encompassing than talking about what's wrong in a section of the work you've posted...sometimes, critiques are more involved with what the work itself is. Honestly, those types of critiques are much more useful, though they may be hard to hear, and hard to consider. But! Sometimes you have to take these critiques to improve! You're not required to make changes based on every little critique you hear...but, in the instance where lots of people (who, by the way, are very informed about this type of stuff) are saying the same thing to you, it would probably benefit you to take what they're saying to heart.

    You want to learn how to do this kind of thing as a profession? You're going to need to learn how to accept critique, and speak to your critique-ers in a civil manner. You're going to have to learn how to defend yourself in a civil manner, but allow yourself to consider the critique as well, rather than brushing it off completely. Have you researched this well? Have you looked into what graphic designers have in their portfolio? Have you interviewed any graphic designers you like, and ask them how to improve? Have you read any books on the subject? The reason I say this is because your stance on the issue seems to be the exact same as somebody who hasn't really researched any of this...or if they have, it's been very minor. If you won't listen to us, maybe try listening to dozens of professionals who are doing the exact thing you want to do.

    Do you know how I try to improve my own work? I look at the professionals' work (not websites that accept designs from anybody, but actual professionals who have a proven track record in their field, and might even be famous for it) and I try to analyze what they're doing. Why are they successful? What level of quality are they hitting in their work? And then, the very important questions: where is my work falling short, in comparison to these people I highly admire, who are very highly successful? Where can I improve to match their skills? You can't look at amateur websites and think, "I'm doing what they do, so it must be okay! And it must be really lucrative! And I'm probably producing work that's up to par!"...look up graphic designers who have long resumes with big clients. Look up graphic designers who've done big projects. Read books. Ask questions. Above all though, always be honest with yourself, even if it hurts. It's the only way you learn how to improve.

  • DMACDMAC Moderator mod
    Copyright law is law.

    tapeslingersquidbunnyDruhimArtreus
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    shuma`za wrote: »
    and the both of you are fucking rude, egotistical elitists and i can see i've obviously wasted my time...
    please delete my account because i have absolutely no desire to be in a community filled with and run by negetive asshats who think their opinion is law.

    These egotistical elitists are just telling you what any good art director would very briefly think before closing the tab and going on to the next candidate. You would never even hear back.

    Wassermelone on
  • shuma`zashuma`za Registered User
    night dragon THAT was criticism in a constructive nature and i apreciate it, thank you and i'm planning on going back to school when my wife finishes her degree as a dental hygenest. spectre and grifter are simply assholes flexing because it makes them feel cool on the internet. Like my art, don't like my art that's fine, for every negetive thing i've heared about a design i've had for sale i've gotten ten more saying that they love it, everyones entitled to have an opinion.. doesn't mean they have to be a jackass about it

  • NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    HEY!!!!!!

    For the record My Artist friend Danny Bryant is being sued by/or received cease and desist letters Lucas Film and disney and nintendo for these works.....Sooooo.... Hiding behind "hey its art" aint working out too well for him. He had to take down other starwars PAINTINGS he did as well....so best of luck to you. If someone thinks you're using their IP they have all the lawyers and money to come after you...good luck sir.

    If you think i'm kidding, drop him a line on FB

    danny1.jpg
    danny2.jpg
    danny3.jpg

This discussion has been closed.