Options

Borderlands 2: Old thread, no fapping

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Brick wins at everything, ever.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Skull2185 wrote: »

Except being fun to play. :D

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Houn wrote: »
    Roland's felt kinda lazy, especially when you contrast it with the fact that he's not really reserved or shy on the battlefield; he's constantly shouting shit. Hell, I'd have taken him cleaning his gun over a disinterested camera wave-off.

Brick, however, still wins at intro.

Well, again, he's not being reserved or shy. He has to make sure he's not on camera to stay alive.
    Atlas records state that Roland was honorably discharged from the Crimson Lance. Unfortunately, Crimson Lance doctrine states that the only type of discharge is dishonorable, which generally involves a bullet through the skull. When questioned about either his involvement in or departure from the Crimson Lance, Roland quickly changes the subject to loot, of wich he firmly believes there is always room for more.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of punching everything to death with my explosive fists.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I really liked the way they soft played the deserter thing for Roland. It's not like anybody had much more than hints of a storyline but still. I thought it worked for him.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    darleysam wrote: »

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of punching everything to death with my explosive fists.

Is it that, or the dying right afterwards? :P
    actually that only happens with Sam B in Dead Island but wevs I'm not letting facts get in the way of a good dig

Brick broke my heart when he had all those great skills for rocket launchers and then the damn things clipped through 50% of everything I shot at.

I'LL NEVER FORGIVE HIM

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i think its funny how unaware gearbox were of how much backstory and minor incidental setting details and characterisation actually affect the experience people have

the characterisation in borderlands is a huge amount of the appeal to a lot of people i played it with, and it was so orthogonal to how they conceived the game

i love that they have put in missions just to explain the new characters backstories because they had it requested so much in playtesting

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options

actually that only happens with Sam B in Dead Island but wevs I'm not letting facts get in the way of a good dig

Brick broke my heart when he had all those great skills for rocket launchers and then the damn things clipped through 50% of everything I shot at.

I'LL NEVER FORGIVE HIM

Ahh, I never, ever went rockets. Always punching. I think there was a time I considered rockets, but then I just punched it until it went away.
    i think its funny how unaware gearbox were of how much backstory and minor incidental setting details and characterisation actually affect the experience people have

the characterisation in borderlands is a huge amount of the appeal to a lot of people i played it with, and it was so orthogonal to how they conceived the game

i love that they have put in missions just to explain the new characters backstories because they had it requested so much in playtesting

Well all the comments about Borderlands 1's story were speculating that it all got cut out late in the process to actually get the game out the door sometime. Due to the late-in-the-day style change, it all seemed very plausible that they had more story through there that involved the characters and their backstories, but it had to go out the window or they'd slip even further. I can't remember whether Gearbox confirmed this or not, but I'm fully expecting that this one will have more focus on it, as it'll have been a steadier development.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Yeah one of the extended previews mentioned that was what surprised them the most about requests for BL2 was backstory on the hunters, they thought people just played for the class and gave no shits about who they were playing despite them having modeled a bunch of stuff on the characters like brick with his dogs paw.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Speaking of Rockets clipping through things, that weapon type is near the top of my "fix list" for BL2. Things I'm hoping and praying got fixed in the sequel:

-- Driving / Physics
    -- Rockets clipping through things, and in general rocket launcher improvements
    -- Better weapon balance. It always made me sad that SMG and Revolvers were really the only two "amazing" weapons. Sure, others were serviceable, but only those two really felt powerful at all levels of play.
    -- Better class balance. Lilith was so much better than the other three that it was just ridiculous. The other 3 weren't "bad" but Lilith was better.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Wait people care about borderlands dumb story? I thought it was all about the numbers popping up, the lewt, and the jokes!

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited September 2012

I'LL NEVER FORGIVE HIM

Ahh, I never, ever went rockets. Always punching. I think there was a time I considered rockets, but then I just punched it until it went away.

rockets are like punches

that you send to far away friends

as gifts

as a way of saying

"we are not friends anymore"

<3

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    If I've already pre-ordered from GMG, what will I also get in the season pass? Asking because I'll get it with the 25% off code now if it's worth it.

• Options
    Wait people care about borderlands dumb story? I thought it was all about the numbers popping up, the lewt, and the jokes!

The story was all mixed in there tho! It was fun to try and find it!

or you could ignore it and make faces die.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    course people do

its like that famous statistic that only 5% of people ever played diablo 2 online or whatever

the gaming populace at large is weird and diverse and full of people who like all kinds of strange elements of games

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Speaking of Rockets clipping through things, that weapon type is near the top of my "fix list" for BL2. Things I'm hoping and praying got fixed in the sequel:

-- Driving / Physics
    -- Rockets clipping through things, and in general rocket launcher improvements
    -- Better weapon balance. It always made me sad that SMG and Revolvers were really the only two "amazing" weapons. Sure, others were serviceable, but only those two really felt powerful at all levels of play.
    -- Better class balance. Lilith was so much better than the other three that it was just ridiculous. The other 3 weren't "bad" but Lilith was better.

Well I know the first two have been worked on, specifically launchers have been changed to make ammo harder to find, but the weapons themselves devastating (it was in the burch game trailer playthrough of the creature dome thingy). I agree on weapon balance, though you left out shotguns which were also brutal as hell, and class balance at its face looks pretty choice this time with just about everyone having an actually useful power to unload on enemies.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    bl2 gon be sweet

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Yeah it will, I'm super psyched, counting down the days etc etc. I just like the look of all the new guns, and the new repeater pistols look much like the crappy assault rifles, to have gotten an upgrade.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

I'LL NEVER FORGIVE HIM

rockets are like punches

that you send to far away friends

as gifts

as a way of saying

"we are not friends anymore"

<3

I guess I'm just an old-school romantic who likes to deliver those messages in person. But we mustn't argue, not on Rex Manning day!

forumsig.png
  • Options

I sorta hope they don't go too far in putting the story in our faces. I do not want a five minute cut scene about feelings. Finding out a little bit more about the hunters is cool though.

It's weird but that they clearly had ideas behind each of the vault hunters made things better, even if we only ever saw secondary effects of this.

• Options

I sorta hope they don't go too far in putting the story in our faces. I do not want a five minute cut scene about feelings. Finding out a little bit more about the hunters is cool though.

It's weird but that they clearly had ideas behind each of the vault hunters made things better, even if we only ever saw secondary effects of this.

The hunters having a story behind them was a hold over from the different art style that kind of got dropped when the new one was added in. And Burch the lead writer has said multiple times, the story is there if you want it, but if you want to ignore it thats also perfectly fine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    My Loot Chest Edition is supposed to be here Tuesday. Should I dig right in when I get home from work, or would you guys be interesting in unboxing pics/vids?

Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Preacher wrote: »

The hunters having a story behind them was a hold over from the different art style that kind of got dropped when the new one was added in. And Burch the lead writer has said multiple times, the story is there if you want it, but if you want to ignore it thats also perfectly fine.

It's almost like they were inadvertently forced into the "Show don't tell" thing. Which is fine, sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    RazalgrimRazalgrim Registered User regular

This is one of my problems with D3. In D2 you could cut dialogue faster than you could say "fuck off." Which is excellent, since it's just the same thing over and over again, once you get to farming the higher difficulties. In D3 everyone keeps talking and talking and talking, and you have to press cancel every time the speaker changes, which is often.

Yes. I know. We've had this same goddamn conversation seventy-four times now, please shut up so I can get my loot.

Please, Gearbox. Keep the BL1 quest info pages. No chatty bullshit.

• Options
    I believe they talk, but they do it while you are questing, kind of like how tannis would tell you why she's sending you after her underware after you had gotten the quest.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    GMG has the BL2 Season Pass for $22.50 with a code.

That code is GMG25-1BW0K-K1A3G

sig.gif
  • Options
    rubykavalierrubykavalier pink is the new bacon Registered User regular

I wouldn't mind a little bit of story; part of what made the first one tedious after a while was that I was often running around doing things without really knowing WHY I was doing them. So I didn't care about them, so I got a little tired of them.

But come on, it's Borderlands. I think it's pretty clear by now that they're not forgetting how "shoot, kill, get loot" was one of the core tenets of the first one - and was what made it so awesome. Ideally? There'll be enough story to keep you interested in what you're doing but still let you just run around and melt faces if you so desire.

• Options
    Razalgrim wrote: »

This is one of my problems with D3. In D2 you could cut dialogue faster than you could say "fuck off." Which is excellent, since it's just the same thing over and over again, once you get to farming the higher difficulties. In D3 everyone keeps talking and talking and talking, and you have to press cancel every time the speaker changes, which is often.

Yes. I know. We've had this same goddamn conversation seventy-four times now, please shut up so I can get my loot.

Please, Gearbox. Keep the BL1 quest info pages. No chatty bullshit.

Made even worse by the fact the D3 story is the worst sort of Saturday morning cartoon bullshit.

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    If I've already pre-ordered from GMG, what will I also get in the season pass? Asking because I'll get it with the 25% off code now if it's worth it.
    Season pass is for the 4 upcoming DLCs (Supposedly Knoxx-like in their quality. I'm gonna grab it probably)

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    jonxp wrote: »
    My Loot Chest Edition is supposed to be here Tuesday. Should I dig right in when I get home from work, or would you guys be interesting in unboxing pics/vids?
    I would like to see pics so that I can live vicariously, and focus my hatred across the internet

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I didn't read every quest entry, and I didn't hang around to "chat" with NPCs in BL1, but I still absorbed enough of the story to know what was going on. I would say Gearbox did a good job of conveying the story through context and action, rather than exposition.

• Options
    I would like to see pics so that I can live vicariously, and focus my hatred across the internet

nooooo you will burn out a tube and then no more porn

• Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I didn't read every quest entry, and I didn't hang around to "chat" with NPCs in BL1, but I still absorbed enough of the story to know what was going on. I would say Gearbox did a good job of conveying the story through context and action, rather than exposition.

Very true. Also subtitles helped so you could read things like the echo logs while firing indiscriminately into a crowd of people enemies bullet friends.

• Options
    MarkWebsterMarkWebster Ottersaurus Rex OntarioRegistered User regular
    Actually, actually,

I've just thought of a way that BL1 into can be topped

It's the end of some Moxxi section in BL2

And you've won

And there's some credits

And the 3 human characters are doing the Commander Shepard ME3 dance in some seedy strip night club

That night club is underwater

And it's upside down (pretend it's in Australia or New Zealand)

And Zer0 is doing the robot dance

Song: Mylo - Drop The Pressure

Flashing strobes on red lights.

Oh and there's some midgets there too.

Would be amazing.

• Options

nooooo you will burn out a tube and then no more porn

Many things flow through the pornotubes, but hatred is not one of them.

• Options
    you had me until "midgets"

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    GMG has the BL2 Season Pass for $22.50 with a code.

That code is GMG25-1BW0K-K1A3G

Ugh, I hope this comes up again later, because I'm trying to pay DOWN my debt, not increase it..

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    How borderlands should end:
    Warning: NSF56K

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Season pass is for the 4 upcoming DLCs (Supposedly Knoxx-like in their quality. I'm gonna grab it probably)

Your pre-order and the season pass have no overlap. All 4 DLCs in the Pass are not linked to preorders.

• Options
    PrjctD_CaptainPrjctD_Captain iFizzRegistered User regular
    I was giving the OP a good read, and I noticed the bit about the 360 meta tag. How does one use it? I'm curious and dumb and don't want to play by myself all the time.

Steam: BrightWing
    PSN: BrightWing13 FFX|V:ARR Bright Asuna
This discussion has been closed.