Options

Borderlands 2: Old thread, no fapping

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Yes, gear icons are side missions, vault logo icons are story missions.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I have a mello yellow skin for Maya that I have already unlocked. Anyone want to jump in my game and get it?

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    thepizzaelementalthepizzaelemental Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Well that and once they get tired of tweeting codes on a daily basis it'll just become flat out impossible to get the keys period.

Can't I like, trade a bunch of Eridium for them or something? Make Earl sell golden keys for a shitload of eridium after you've bought everything else from him, or whatever.

Yeah, I was saying it would be nice if an NPC in a future DLC would trade Eridium for golden keys. 100 Eridium per key seems like a bargain. It would take a significant amount of time to collect it playing solo and you would need to either forgo some upgrades or wait until you've already bought them all. Or a random bounty board mission to take out a specific bonus boss for a chance at getting a dropped key would be cool too. But if twitter codes and attending certain events are the only ways to ever get new keys, I doubt I'll ever see another one.

MH3: B77AE9 - Natou
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    This is my level 41 Maya. Maliwan Elegance skin + Tannis head = best. Though, still a bunch of head customizations I haven't seen yet.
    xYZw6.jpg?1

As an aside, Goliath Blasters in PT2 can go to hell. 20k shields and 15k hp? olol nope, oneshot fight for your life. I'm 3 levels above them and they do not give a single fuck.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    The whole golden key thing was just a bad idea. It's just a lousy idea to have an obvious, unavoidable in-game box that can only be opened if you have a very special key that involve being lucky enough to get things that have absolutely nothing to do with the actual game. At the very least, that idiotic golden chest shouldn't be right in front of you every time you go to Sanctuary; at least if it was off behind a door somewhere, everybody could ignore the whole thing. And whoever thought that a loot-centered game should have a chest that can only be unlocked via something you can never get through a mission or random loot drops should be beaten with a crowbar.

The only upside is that it's basically just a one-shot deal and you just get a selection of very good items instead of a selection of utterly unobtainable and completely unique items. There's every chance you could use that gold key, go off and kill a boss at your level, and find something better.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    Black_HeartBlack_Heart Registered User regular
    Final boss in this game felt like total bullshit when trying to beat it single player.

Got a really nice Orange shotgun that has 12 size magazine, 506x5 damage, increases accuracy when fired, high rate of fire... but the interesting thing is that the bullets it shoots, shoots its own bullets outward. I don't know how to explain it. But when I fire, there are the regular bullets that fly out towards my target, but at the same time, I see another horizontal spray of bullets emerge from THOSE bullets that hit targets adjacent to the target in front of me. Its pretty crazy area damage.

• Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Holy crap I've found some weird artifacts tonight:

1.18% resist all elements
    2. +45% max shotgun AND assault rifle ammo
    3. +19% damage/+21% clip size on Jacobs guns
    4. +39% max health

And the one that I'm wearing as my turret Axton:
    5. -19% action cooldown

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    Can a Maya veteran help me out with a few Siren questions? They all have to do with the Motion talent, Sub-Sequence: does it reset the timer on Phaselock (so, if you kill an enemy with 1 second left on the Phaselock, does it transfer that 1 seconds' worth of crowd control to the next target, or is it completely refreshed?), and does the transfer trigger talents like Convergence and Helios?

I like Sub-Sequence, but if the transfer doesn't refresh, or re-trigger those talents, I'd rather just buy my way all the way down to Ruin in Cataclysm.

Any thoughts?

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Stuck on the Firehawk mission, probably being stupid.

Trying to find Bloodshot Mark 3 but I can't seem to get to the point on the map. I've revealed the whole map but one ledge seems to high to jump to and I can't see anything on the other side.

you shouldn't have to do any fancy jumping so long as you are on the right track.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    The_TuninatorThe_Tuninator Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    milk ducks wrote: »
    Can a Maya veteran help me out with a few Siren questions? They all have to do with the Motion talent, Sub-Sequence: does it reset the timer on Phaselock (so, if you kill an enemy with 1 second left on the Phaselock, does it transfer that 1 seconds' worth of crowd control to the next target, or is it completely refreshed?), and does the transfer trigger talents like Convergence and Helios?

I like Sub-Sequence, but if the transfer doesn't refresh, or re-trigger those talents, I'd rather just buy my way all the way down to Ruin in Cataclysm.

Any thoughts?

Sub-Sequence does not reset the duration, which makes it kind of rubbish, in my opinion. Generally you'll only have at most 1 or maaaaybe 2 seconds left on Phaselock when you finish killing the enemy. Can't speak to Helios or Convergence.

I'd much rather Sub-Sequence actually refresh the duration but have either significantly shorted duration each bounce or a lowered chance to bounce each time after the first.

Speaking of Maya, I have grown very impressed with the characterization of the Vault Hunters this time around. At first I was wondering why Maya screams panickedly when you jump off ramps and other lines of similar nature, but after finding her backstory logs it all makes a lot of sense:
    She's actually not a grizzled adventurer like the other 7 Vault Hunters, just a sheltered kid with badass powers who finally set out to see the world(s). Given this knowledge, it makes me see all of her lines in a new light, and really impresses me as to the degree which Gearbox has given even the playable characters distinct characterization.

The_Tuninator on
  • Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    milk ducks wrote: »

Any thoughts?

Sub-Sequence does not reset the duration, which makes it kind of rubbish, in my opinion. Generally you'll only have at most 1 or maaaaybe 2 seconds left on Phaselock when you finish killing the enemy. Can't speak to Helios or Convergence.

I'd much rather Sub-Sequence actually refresh the duration but have either significantly shorted duration each bounce or a lowered chance to bounce each time after the first.

That sucks. Thanks, man.

• Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Not being able to Phaselock some stuff is getting REALLY annoying. Play a Harmony/Motion Maya, and rely on Wreck for DPS and Elated for healing while extending Phaselock duration and reducing its CD? Better hope you don't run into a Badass Thresher or a swarm of Buzzards, or you'll be completely useless and die!

Phaselock is awful and spec'ing into it in any way at all totally gimps your build.
    Like, I've tried about five different phaselock builds and none of them work even slightly well. It's a bad action skill, and the way it interacts with your skill tree is even worse.

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    You know, I can't help but think of how much fun I'm having when fighting stalkers

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Sokpuppet wrote: »
    Not being able to Phaselock some stuff is getting REALLY annoying. Play a Harmony/Motion Maya, and rely on Wreck for DPS and Elated for healing while extending Phaselock duration and reducing its CD? Better hope you don't run into a Badass Thresher or a swarm of Buzzards, or you'll be completely useless and die!

Phaselock is awful and spec'ing into it in any way at all totally gimps your build.
    Like, I've tried about five different phaselock builds and none of them work even slightly well. It's a bad action skill, end of story.

I've been quite enjoying it as a support/healer Maya, personally. I can't speak to its efficacy compared to the other skills, or in general as I would not categorize myself as a skilled Borderlands player, but it's quite fun.

My only complaint with it is that running up against Phaselock-immune enemies really sucks. The damage on Badasses/bosses just isn't satisfying and does not make up for the loss of your action skill and 75% of your skilled abilities, especially if you have a Phaselock build like I do.

The_Tuninator on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular

Like, I've tried about five different phaselock builds and none of them work even slightly well. It's a bad action skill, end of story.

I've been quite enjoying it as a support/healer Maya, personally. I can't speak to its efficacy compared to the other skills, or in general as I would not categorize myself as a skilled Borderlands player, but it's quite fun.

My only complaint with it is that running up against Phaselock-immune enemies really sucks. The damage on Badasses/bosses just isn't satisfying and does not make up for the loss of your action skill, especially if you have a Phaselock build like I do.

I had this idea in my head a support/healer Maya would be boring, but it's actually been a lot of fun. Orb of Slag in particular has been incredibly useful (and it looks cool, too). I've also been able to keep the group alive in situations where we'd otherwise be dead. I feel like it's necessary to go at least halfway through the Harmony tree for any Maya build now.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I really need to try out Orb of Slag! I will probably do that when I try to stack as much regen as possible for laughs.

Slag in general is something I feel I have not been utilizing nearly enough. The DPS boost seems absolutely massive.

Apologies if I've been whining incessantly about Phaselock, but it really is frustrating to have your skill and abilities not work, particularly as Phaselock is most likely to fail in the situations where you need your action skill the most-badasses and bosses.

The_Tuninator on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I played Mordecai in the last game pretty much exclusively and so I thought really hard about playing somebody other than Zer0.

Then I realized that the stabby/snipey/glass cannon style of gameplay is what I really like so I stopped thinking about that and have just been having a good time.

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    mts wrote: »
    Stuck on the Firehawk mission, probably being stupid.

Trying to find Bloodshot Mark 3 but I can't seem to get to the point on the map. I've revealed the whole map but one ledge seems to high to jump to and I can't see anything on the other side.

you shouldn't have to do any fancy jumping so long as you are on the right track.

Turns out I was a moron. It was in the underground passage.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    Jackobs "shoot as fast as you can pull the trigger" shotguns, plus Axtons silly fast reload speed, is a beautiful thing to behold.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    PierceNeck wrote: »
    Jackobs "shoot as fast as you can pull the trigger" shotguns, plus Axtons silly fast reload speed, is a beautiful thing to behold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or3okI_mad8

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    How did tediore guns suddenly get so good.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I really need to try out Orb of Slag! I will probably do that when I try to stack as much regen as possible for laughs.

Slag in general is something I feel I have not been utilizing nearly enough. The DPS boost seems absolutely massive.

Apologies if I've been whining incessantly about Phaselock, but it really is frustrating to have your skill and abilities not work, particularly as Phaselock is most likely to fail in the situations where you need your action skill the most-badasses and bosses.

It's worth talking about.
    Large portions of Maya's skill tree are broken and/or unplayable just because they don't work the way they should.

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    Black_HeartBlack_Heart Registered User regular
    PierceNeck wrote: »

Whats really nice is finding a shotgun that consumes 2-4 ammo per shot with a 2-4 magazine size and has a 1.9 or lower second reload speed with Axton's reload speed skills and Badass Bonuses maxed. So much fun.

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular

Large portions of Maya's skill tree are broken and/or unplayable just because they don't work the way they should.

Hm - that is disappointing. What about her is broken? Is it just that some enemies can't be locked? Because if it's more than that I might put Maya aside and start leveling Salvadore instead. My party could do with some ammo regeneration anyhow.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2012

By my count, over a third of the skills of the Harmony/Motion trees rely on Phaselock working. The biggest problem is that pushing all the way to Thoughtlock becomes a total waste, though.

Jakobs weapons are the best. I have a Jakobs revolver that looks like an actual cowboy revolver. It is my favorite. Nothing beats getting into hectic shootouts with that and feeling like a cowboy.

I really liked Lynchwood.

jclast wrote: »

Hm - that is disappointing. What about her is broken? Is it just that some enemies can't be locked? Because if it's more than that I might put Maya aside and start leveling Salvadore instead. My party could do with some ammo regeneration anyhow.

It's just Phaselock not working on some enemies as far as I'm aware. I still have a ton of fun with her, so I wouldn't advise dropping her if you are enjoying her. It's just irritating to die because none of your skills or abilities work.

The_Tuninator on
  • Options
    jclast wrote: »

Lots of little things. Basically the problem is just that Phaselock is a single-target ability in a game that is about shooting hundreds of things. She's still totally playable and fine and awesome, so long as you never put any points into anything involving phaselock.

• Options
    I'm sure they'll patch in some balance things once enough people complain

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    edited September 2012

By my count, over a third of the Harmony/Motion trees rely on Phaselock working. The biggest problem is that pushing all the way to Thoughtlock becomes a total waste, though.

Jakobs weapons are the best. I have a Jakobs revolver that looks like an actual cowboy revolver. It is my favorite. Nothing beats getting into hectic shootouts with that and feeling like a cowboy.

Thoughtlock doesn't really seem that great anyway, I'm down at the bottom of motion but don't have it specced. That said, I'll be shocked if Maya doesn't gain some sort of DoT or debuff on unlockable enemies that makes skills like Wreck, Chain Reaction, etc work.

Badass Threshers and many bosses are extremely painful for my Maya, specially compared to my friends with Axton/Sal.

Edit:
    Lots of little things. Basically the problem is just that Phaselock is a single-target ability in a game that is about shooting hundreds of things. She's still totally playable and fine and awesome, so long as you never put any points into anything involving phaselock.

Per this, 95% of the enemies in this game are trivial guys you kill in 2 seconds, but then there's an Ultra Badass something that oneshots you if it looks at you funny. That's why Phaselock is not a bad skill at heart imo. I've been going through PT2 with 2 Mayas and it's super helpful, since stuff in PT2 hits impossibly hard with gigantic health pools.

Is Zer0 bad because his ability does a ton of damage on your next hit? Everyone is saying he's the best character this time around, so that seems like a weird dichotomy.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Knight_ wrote: »

By my count, over a third of the Harmony/Motion trees rely on Phaselock working. The biggest problem is that pushing all the way to Thoughtlock becomes a total waste, though.

Thoughtlock doesn't really seem that great anyway, I'm down at the bottom of motion but don't have it specced. That said, I'll be shocked if Maya doesn't gain some sort of DoT or debuff on unlockable enemies that makes skills like Wreck, Chain Reaction, etc work.

Badass Threshers and many bosses are extremely painful for my Maya, specially compared to my friends with Axton/Sal.

When I run into a Badass Thresher I pretty much just step away from my keyboard and wait to die. All of my health regen is gone and I have no DPS.

Res still allows me to make a meaningful contribution in boss fights, thankfully, but against the bosses which Phaselock really just should not work on, if you have skilled Phaselock-related abilities it should dramatically increase the damage dealt by the skill on top of proccing the effects.

The_Tuninator on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    You know...I kind of wish this game had some kind of quick roll or something. Like a side dodge.

• Options
    LegendofLinkLegendofLink Registered User regular
    Holy hell, when did Borderlands decide to get so damn depressing?

I just finished the Wildlife Preserve, and
    Fuck you, Jack. I played Mordecai in the first game, and Bloodwing was the greatest thing ever. At first, when he was referencing the elemental damage types during the fight, I thought that him forgetting Explosive was a jab at the fact that it's not a normal elemental effect in this game. How wrong I was. ;-;

Add Mordecai's pure, robot wrecking rage to it, and I really felt it there. And as if that wasn't enough, you get the audio logs detailing the slag experimentation as what actually happened to Tiny Tina's parents. So many feels. ;-;

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah. Like I said...if the game wasn't so funny...BL2 would be quite depressing.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    You know...I kind of wish this game had some kind of quick roll or something. Like a side dodge.

Borderlands with Mirror's Edge style parkour/dodging would be great

Especially when the thing you need to get to is just beyond your jump height and so instead of grabbing the edge and hauling yourself up like a reasonable person you end up jumping around like a meth head on ritalin

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Yeah. Like I said...if the game wasn't so funny...BL2 would be quite depressing.

My favorite line so far (I'm not very far into the game)
    Butt Stallion says hi

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

The funny thing is the bandits can do it. And they can out-jump you by a wide margin, too.

• Options
    There is no reason for any enemy to be immune to a character's action ability, even if they are a boss

At the most, they should be resistant to it

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Holy hell, when did Borderlands decide to get so damn depressing?

I just finished the Wildlife Preserve, and
    Fuck you, Jack. I played Mordecai in the first game, and Bloodwing was the greatest thing ever. At first, when he was referencing the elemental damage types during the fight, I thought that him forgetting Explosive was a jab at the fact that it's not a normal elemental effect in this game. How wrong I was. ;-;

Add Mordecai's pure, robot wrecking rage to it, and I really felt it there. And as if that wasn't enough, you get the audio logs detailing the slag experimentation as what actually happened to Tiny Tina's parents. So many feels. ;-;
    Yeah, I was actually shocked at how depressing things get. It was beautifully done but really jarring since, y'know, Borderlands.

I'm one of the people who feel that the BL1 hunters were disparaged a little bit too much, but Mordecai's whole involvement there was a stellar example of how to handle the old vault hunters. He makes a meaningful contribution and at the end gets to act like an absolute badass. That exiting scene was just magnificent. As you observe, you seriously felt his rage, and watching him blow apart enemies that take you 20 seconds to kill was incredible.

There is no reason for any enemy to be immune to a character's action ability, even if they are a boss

At the most, they should be resistant to it

Yeah, pretty much my sentiments exactly.

Doing 7k damage at Level 31 is nice and all, but when it's .5% chipped off a boss's healthbar and your skill doesn't do anything else, that doesn't feel so great.

I should reiterate that I am enjoying the hell out of this game; this is merely an area in which I think a significant problem can be rectified quickly.

The_Tuninator on
  • Options
    Knight_ wrote: »

Edit:

Per this, 95% of the enemies in this game are trivial guys you kill in 2 seconds, but then there's an Ultra Badass something that oneshots you if it looks at you funny. That's why Phaselock is not a bad skill at heart imo. I've been going through PT2 with 2 Mayas and it's super helpful, since stuff in PT2 hits impossibly hard with gigantic health pools.

Is Zer0 bad because his ability does a ton of damage on your next hit? Everyone is saying he's the best character this time around, so that seems like a weird dichotomy.

Zero's skill tree works quite well with Zero's action skill.
    Maya's doesn't, because a lot of her kit runs contrary to the way the game is actually played or are simply non-functional in practical terms. Just my 2 cents.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Oh man, the volleyball mission
    A very nice fuck you to Top Gun. Fuck that movie. The 80's. The volleyball. The Tom Cruise. GAAAH.

I'm gonna go listen to Slayer now so I don't end up taking it out on the 80's.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Cantido wrote: »
    Oh man, the volleyball mission
    A very nice fuck you to Top Gun. Fuck that movie. The 80's. The volleyball. The Tom Cruise. GAAAH.

I'm gonna go listen to Slayer now so I don't end up taking it out on the 80's.

I prefer to think of it as
    a celebration of the ridiculous beauty of that movie.

This discussion has been closed.