As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Good Food, Good Friends and.... actually, no, just [Food Thread]

nevilleneville The Worst Gay(Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
edited September 2012 in Social Entropy++
What are people making lately?
Here's what I made today.

Pork Ragu recipe (courtesy of @Stale):
One 3-pound boneless pork shoulder
1 tablespoon corn oil
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, diced
1 large sweet onion, diced
1 large carrot, diced
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 small can tomato paste
1 cup dry white wine
2 cups chicken stock
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup honey
salt and pepper
3 tablespoons cream cheese
1 large bag of wide egg noodles

pre-heat the oven to 300

In a large cast iron dutch oven, heat oil and brown shoulder on all sides, remove from pot.

Add apple, onion, carrot and stir over medium heat for 3 minutes. Add seasoning, garlic, and stir for 2 minutes, add tomato paste and wine, bring to boil and stir 2 more minutes. Add stock, vinegar, and honey, bring to boil, stir, add pork and cover.

Place in your oven and cook for 4 hours, turn every hour. Remove as much of the pork as you can, discard any large pieces of fat. Transfer the sauce to a food processor or use a stick blender and pulse until smooth. Place the pork back into the sauce and shred with two forks. Taste, season as needed. Stir in Cream cheese, taste and season as needed.

Serve over the cooked egg noodles.

Pork ragu in prep.

2012-09-15141837.jpg

Pork Ragu after 1 hour of cooking.
2012-09-15153107.jpg

Also made an almond cheesecake with an orange caramel sauce.
No pictures of that currently, but soon maybe!

So what are YOU guys cooking??

nevillexmassig1.png
neville on

• Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Yesterday I made a beef vindaloo and it was amazing. I didn't take photos because it looked like lumpy brown stuff.

But yeah I had it in the slow cooker for like 8 hours and the meat was so tender and I was thinking of putting the leftovers in a pie tonight.

broken image link
  • godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I made a ribeye earlier with some green beans and potatoes. One of my favorite meals.

• nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    Yesterday I made a beef vindaloo and it was amazing. I didn't take photos because it looked like lumpy brown stuff.

But yeah I had it in the slow cooker for like 8 hours and the meat was so tender and I was thinking of putting the leftovers in a pie tonight.

that sounds awesome.
    I wish I could say I had tasty leftovers, but I think almost everyone had at least 2 helpings.
    The ragu was pretty phenomenal.

nevillexmassig1.png
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    making carnitas tomorrow and a tomatillo salsa

• TefTef Registered User regular
    Butchered and cooked up a couple of cooks this morning but I'm too crook to eat it myself

By all accounts it was tasty

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    You....you killed a couple cooks??

• ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Tef wrote: »
    Butchered and cooked up a couple of cooks this morning but I'm too crook to eat it myself

By all accounts it was tasty

Quotin' this before it's fixed

Gatdurnit

Chooks

A couple of chooks!

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Tonight my lady is coming over to use my washing machine.

Her building, which has like 50 apartments, has one washer and one dryer.

Anyway while she's here I'm going to make pasta with a little chicken in tomato, red pepper and cream sauce, and I'm gonna roast up some cauliflower for the side.

I hope my new kitchen has everything I need for it!

• But you can call meBut you can call me Grand Divina Angela Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    I'm making a birthday dinner for my mom tomorrow and I haven't actually planned anything yet! Probably I will go with some kind of bacony alfredo pasta thing, that usually seems to make people happy.

I got excited about trying Stale's pork ragu recipe before I remembered my kids wouldn't eat it. Oh well!

EDIT: I made this the other day. I guess it doesn't require that much skill to make, but I felt it was fairly impressive anyways.
    d952c8c8.png

Our cabinets are sadly lacking in things like olives and onions or it would've been a bit more extravagant.

But you can call me on
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    The pork ragu was awesome. <3

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Yesterday I decided to make pizza. Half BBQ chicken, half sausage/bacon/pepperoni. Oh, and vegetables.

Oh! And a chocolate mayonnaise cake. That tasted great.

• oogmaroogmar Registered User regular
    I was going to make something that actually resembles sustenance.

But the more I think about it, Blue Box counts, right?

Rane, you lazy bastard, you can shut the hell up.

enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
  • AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    I made roasted pumpkin seeds with cinnamon, sugar, and nutmeg tonight. The house smells amazing and I wish I could share them, because I'm in danger of eating the whole tray!

roastedpumpkinseeds.jpg

Recipe:
    I prefer hulled pumpkin seeds for roasting, but you can pull them right out of your pumpkin while you carve it if you want. If you're having trouble finding them raw, there's a good chance your local health food store has a fresh supply of them.

1 1/2 cups raw pumpkin seeds
    2 tablespoons melted butter (or oil of your choice)
    2 tablespoon granulated sugar
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
    1/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a 12x16'' baking sheet with foil.

Mix up the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a small container and set it off to the side. Melt the butter and mix it up with the seeds in a large bowl. Pour in the cinnamon/sugar into the bowl and mix until everything is evenly coated.

Pour the seeds out onto the tray, spread them out into an even layer, and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the seeds start to brown. Every 10 minutes, pull the tray out to stir the seeds. Let them cool for a few minutes, then eat 'em while they're still warm! I'm not sure how long they keep or the best way to store them because they're usually devoured before then.

Optional, but reccomended: Wash them down with a mug of warm apple cider.

Fall is the best. If anyone else has some good Fall-appropriate recipes, please share!

soempty.jpg
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    kentucky beer cheese pizza topped with bacon, onion rings, and fried eggs

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »

Anyway while she's here I'm going to make pasta with a little chicken in tomato, red pepper and cream sauce, and I'm gonna roast up some cauliflower for the side.

Dave, when she comes over, are you going to drop a small load in her?

Or maybe ask her to do it by hand?

• MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    I wouyld like to inform the forum that plum wine and cream of mushroom soup with a side of peas (buttered, salted [lightly]) go quite well together

ikbUJdU.jpg
    also I threw a bit of garlic salt on the peas cause fuck you that's why

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »

I am going to make her set it to extra dirty

but then, after a while, I'll switch back to gentle.

• A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    I have some chicken breasts. I tossed em in foil with some Salsa Casera, Salsa Ranchera, a fresh jalapeno sliced lengthwise, and half a lime.

Cuttin' up some avocado and white onion. Shredding some cheese. Tacos incoming.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
    Blake T wrote: »

I am going to make her set it to extra dirty

but then, after a while, I'll switch back to gentle.

DELICATES

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    bleah
    chicken breast on tacos
    do not want

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    godmode wrote: »
    You....you killed a couple cooks??

There were too many of them in the kitchen.

temporary-8.jpg

MINIATRUE LASAGNA

I decided against doing actual marinara and used a combination of 3 parts tomato puree to one part tomato sauce to try and retain the consistency, but brought it to a regular heat as a sauce. It tasted alright, but I am also drunk and all my food smells and tastes amazing right now so I'll let you know tomorrow how well this expirment welnt

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    I am taking baby steps and slowly learning how to cook

Yesterday I made Brussels sprouts with black bean garlic sauce

eAWta.jpg?1

it was pretty dang good!

xet8c.gif

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Nice.

I don't take photos of what I cook most of the time, because I always think it looks goddamn ugly. I've not yet reached the stage where food looks good as well as tastes. But it usually tastes fine, so eh!

I made Stale's potato salad without bacon for my mother today. It's still damn tasty, but the flavor is surprisingly different without the bacon. Or not surprisingly, really, considering that you cook the onions, garlic, and potatoes in the bacon drippings for a little bit.

• A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Druhim wrote: »
    bleah
    chicken breast on tacos
    do not want

Lucky you're not here then, eh?

They were delicious.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • StaleStale Registered User regular
    I am so happy that ragu turned out good. I was legit worried it was going to be horrible and all these forumers would be all staring at each other with mouthfuls of crap and too uncomfortable to say it was crap, so just silently chewing crap and hoping for death.

easysig2.jpg
  • StaleStale Registered User regular
    unless it really was and you are just saying that to make me feel better in which case you shouldn't, I need to know it was crap so I can fix it.

I don't want my friends eating crap.

I want them to be all:

XBJZe.gif

easysig2.jpg
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Her eyes.

They move independently.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    ham egg cheese hot sauce on an everything bagel

Stale hurry up an make that cooking book so we can find it goddamnit

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
    Stale wrote: »
    I am so happy that ragu turned out good. I was legit worried it was going to be horrible and all these forumers would be all staring at each other with mouthfuls of crap and too uncomfortable to say it was crap, so just silently chewing crap and hoping for death.

Yeah man, it was great!

I was gonna make your devilled eggs too but didn't have the time.

So.

The recipe for pork buns (which is quite literally the only thing I've been thinking about since I've had them besides climbing) is available on the internet. Down for making the buns.

Plus you can premake the belly two days before eating.

Guess what I'm doing on the weekend......

• George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    on that poor student swag

got a bag of beans, bag of rice

hella cheap steaks to cook up various ways

potatoes, onions, that sorta thing

Tell me stupidly cheap recipes, or even just good ingredients that I'll end up using a lot that are variable.

• DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    brussel sprouts are awesome
    good job Sal

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    Yeah, they rule. For the longest time I hated 'em. Then Rachel roasted some for me and oh fuck so delicious.

Meat Plans. Belly has been bought, brining tomorrow, cooking the day after, cooling and refridgerate til the weekend and then baking the bread and pickling the cucumbers on saturday.

(I am going to be hells of fat)

(I am also hells of excited I haven't cooked anything in like a month)

• SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    I feel like I shouldn't be this pleased with myself for making what tastes like a fantastic meatloaf, but hey, baby steps. And sandwiches.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Always be pleased with making awesome food, meatloaves included.

(Assuming you were actually trying to make a meatloaf and not, say, an apple pie.)

broken image link
This discussion has been closed.