As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Good Food, Good Friends and.... actually, no, just [Food Thread]

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Hey @Stale, I made those banana pancakes this morning

Fucking amazing, in the words of my mother

• SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    Today I made chicken florentine with pasta and pesto

AAVlPpd.jpg?1

As usual I was cooking by the seat of my pants: the onions got burnt, I used twice as much wine as I should have, and the chicken and spinach were overcooked. But it was still good :)

xet8c.gif

• StaleStale Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Hey @Stale, I made those banana pancakes this morning

Fucking amazing, in the words of my mother

9V6lc.gif

easysig2.jpg
  • UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Jesus christ those lips

• George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    I'm supposed to do dinner tonight and I'm just not in the mood for anything.

Help a girl out here. I need something delicious and also either vegetarian or only involving poultry.

little late on this, but I have a cookbook by this guy and it is some fucking great food that does not involve meat http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/series/yotam-ottolenghi-recipes

Most of the stuff is doable with mediocre cooking skills and it all is pretty much amazing.

I've done this for breakfast a lot lately except with chicken eggs because I'm not made of money http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2008/jun/14/foodanddrink.vegetarian

• FyndirFyndir Registered User regular

Help a girl out here. I need something delicious and also either vegetarian or only involving poultry.

Also super late here, but.

Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall (AKA That Food Guy From The Telly With The Daft Name) generally has some good veggie recipes, and he did a season of his TV show about giving up meat for the summer which was pretty interesting.

This is a recipe of his which I love the sound of but haven't gotten around to trying.

• LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    edited February 2013

little late on this, but I have a cookbook by this guy and it is some fucking great food that does not involve meat http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/series/yotam-ottolenghi-recipes

Most of the stuff is doable with mediocre cooking skills and it all is pretty much amazing.

I've done this for breakfast a lot lately except with chicken eggs because I'm not made of money http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2008/jun/14/foodanddrink.vegetarian

Dude also wrote the best selling vegetarian cookbook so far.

And, it's pretty bloody good.

Edit: it's called Plenty

Lalabox on
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I oughta get a vegetarian cookbook sometime. My mother prefers it, though she does eat meat.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    The great thing about being the only true non-vegetarian in the household right now is that if i buy meat, I can be virtually certain nobody else will steal my dinner.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    it was that way here too for a while @Tynic. but then the father in law came down to visit and now, not only do i have to be jealously protective of my veggies, but i'm doubly guarding my proteins now.

• FalxFalx Registered User regular
    Made this for lunch yesterday.

Browned onions, garlic and mushrooms in butter, with salt and pepper.
    Threw it in the blender with a splash of milk, (forgot to buy extra container of cream)
    spread it over the bottom half of a seed bread.

Next layer tomatoes, next sliced cheese.
    Next layer pastrami.
    Next layer ham.
    Mustard, the kind with the seeds still in it.
    Lettuce.
    Bread.

In the words of my friend, "Huge success."

Think it would go great with some BBQ chicken strips and honey-mustard too.

This made up for my destroying 500ml of wine I left to reduce and then forgot about like an idiot, the day before.

Carbonized wine looks gross.

I made Rustic Italian Bread from my Cooks Illustrated Cookbook again today. It turned out incredibly well. That shit rises fantastically.

Next weekend I'm gonna try both sandwich bread (which involves making a soaker AND a sponge, as well as the dough), and some rye bread, the latter at my mother's insistence (and she provided the rye flour, so how can I say no?).

Went out for malaysian. Apparently I managed the impossible, which was to order an inedible dish from the best malay street-food restaurant in town. It was awful.
    I usually try and just eat enough so it doesn't feel impolite but in this case it was not going to happen. So, second dinner = duck ravioli.

... which isn't really a bad thing.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    duck. ravioli.

please, tell me more.

let me live vicariously through you.

on the other side of things. Ecco and I have decided that we're going to have a lemon cake and a lemon cheesecake for the wedding. *nods* we were half asleep last night and he was trying to help me not freak out over the job interview today, so we decided to talk wedding stuff instead.

Cause that's calming to me for some bizarre reason. Anyway, we're thinking a lemon cake with lemon curd and maybe a light meringue for the icing. and then lemon cheesecake. because he wanted cheesecake.

that sounds effing DELICIOUS

and it's a handmade pasta that we got from the makers at a local farmers market. Duck and porcini inside and almost nothing else (well, a little garlic, onion), which is why I like this brand. No filler. No fucking carrot.

ohman. I want those raviolis.

you can totally come to the wedding if you bring me some. *nod nod*

wow cheapest wedding gift ever!

well that and the plane tickets. :P

i would love to have some cheap frozen ravioli like back in the states. although that's better than the craving i had the other night for hot dogs and Kraft dinner.

i then went and ate some cucumbers. and then got a craving for chicken & flat dumplings.

my tastebuds are doing weird things to try and defeat me and my diet.

Can you do dumplings with skin made with rice flour? Or is rice still too carby. I get confused between gluten-free diets and low-carb diets.

rice is too carby.

but i can have carbs now! on either side of my workout. so if i'm working out in the morning, i can have some carbs for brekkie and then carbs right after the workout. if I'm doing nights, same thing. but every other meal is protein and veggies.

i really need to get better at hardboiling eggs.

• bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    i've been cooking some fine food lately (oh man why did nobody tell be deboned wings are so damned good) and tonight i kept the hot streak going

marinated free range half-chook with spuds and beans. the marinade was mango, chilli, garlic, cilantro etc. and i got the crispy, charred skin going before roasting it in the pan with the potatoes. yum. bo.

F86542A2-3670-479D-A919-3D012733F9E6-1652-000004A9088517B8_zpsacab3f99.jpg

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Holy shit, this thread made me so hungry it just turned lunch the fuck o'clock.

Fuck off and die.
    god i want so badly to be awesome in the kitchen.

but the kitchen, and the mother in law, seem to be working against me.

ingredients that i thought i had, are no longer there. equipment that i thought was around, has disappeared, or has been put to some other use.

and she hovers. not quite in the kitchen because ecco told her to not do that anymore, but she still hovers. just around the house. somewhere. wanting to come into the kitchen with me. and watch. or annoy. or something i don't know.

plus the oven being all borked and shit doesn't help either. plus i know that anything i cook will then be subject to 'finders eaters' and just UGH.

i need. my. own. kitchen.

rice is too carby.

but i can have carbs now! on either side of my workout. so if i'm working out in the morning, i can have some carbs for brekkie and then carbs right after the workout. if I'm doing nights, same thing. but every other meal is protein and veggies.

i really need to get better at hardboiling eggs.

sounds like time for dumplings/ravioli post-workout to me!
    Of course I'm addicted to both of those things. I am a terrible influence.

hmmm but only 20g of carbs! so like a few bits of kuamara or potato, 1/2 cup rice, etc.

that does not leave room for much dumplings!

but i guess if i get this job it'll make it easier, cause i'll be doing my training at night, so then i can come home and be all 'yes mother in law, i will have some rice now.' and i'll stop getting the glares and looks when i don't eat the rice. that she lovingly made. in my rice cooker. which is fine because i know how to use my rice cooker.

did you know that pretty much everything can be cooked in the rice cooker? like corn. and kumara. and split peas.

edited February 2013
    My rice cooker just broke. I just switched to using a normal pot. Can't say I saw much of a difference in the quality of the rice.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • CampyCampy Registered User regular
    If you know how to cook rice properly in a pan then the only benefit of the rice cooker is the set and forget nature of it. I've definitely left rice cooking on a hob on for too long and come back to it now stuck to the bottom of the pan like hundreds of tiny glue pellets.

Worst thing that happens with the rice cooker is that the rice gets a little overcooked from waiting on low heat for too long on for my slow-ass cooking.

the other benefit of my rice cooker is the whole 'you will turn on and start cooking at this time.' feature.

which is great when i'm at work.

rice takes 15 mins to cook.

exactly how close are you scheduling your day that 15 mins is too long?

easysig2.jpg
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Whatever. Rice cookers are inexpensive and convenient. Use 'em if you want.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    Also hardboiled eggs is "7 minutes on, 7 minutes off."
    Place eggs in cool water
    Bring to boil
    boil 7 minutes
    let sit 7 minutes in hot water
    shock with ice water and cool eggs
    done

last I looked, a rice cooker was like $125

easysig2.jpg
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Good people of SE

How does chilli taste if I cook it tomorrow night, wait for it cool and keep it in the fridge overnight, then serve it Wednesday night?

Worse?

Better?

I'll be happy with no difference.

I've never made chilli so honest question here.

Karl on
    better.

chili will always taste better the second and third day.

easysig2.jpg
    Also hardboiled eggs is "7 minutes on, 7 minutes off."
    Place eggs in cool water
    Bring to boil
    boil 7 minutes
    let sit 7 minutes in hot water
    shock with ice water and cool eggs
    done

you may actually be boiling too long.

I mean It won't hurt them, but you can back off the boiling time, especially if you're letting them sit in the water.

I generally only boil for 2 minutes and let them rest in the water while it cools.

easysig2.jpg
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Excellent. I get home from work late so I can do a slow cooked chilli tomorrow night to serve for my housemates on Wednesday.

I mean I saw some recipes for chilli you can make in 30 minutes but I don't think they'll be as good as slow cooked

• nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    Seattle 21-25th.
    Dinner at Rover's on the 24th

@Usagi, @Druhim, @World as Myth

nevillexmassig1.png
    30 minute chilli is not really chilli at all, in my opinion. Might be nice as a weekday dish after work, and that's fine, but when I hear chilli, I want more than that.

Sometimes I make chilli as an overnight thing. Leave the pot in the oven for several hours on low heat. Getting out all that collagen from the spine of some defeated beast.

Fuck off and die.
  • World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    neville wrote: »
    Seattle 21-25th.
    Dinner at Rover's on the 24th

Usagi, Druhim, "World as Myth"

do you have a reservation yet? what time ya thinking?

kQwcZLJ.png
This discussion has been closed.