Options

XCOM: Enemy Unknown (Not the shooter) -- Out Now. Use New Thread.

• Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    kaliyama wrote: »
    Aaand my game bugged. I ran into the most feared terror aliens, they show up, one runs up, the other takes two steps, stops moving. Alien Activity is at the bottom of the screen...and nothing happens. It just sits there looking at it.

I'm playing on Ironman. I've reloaded 3 times. What the fuck.

save scum?

Aaand my game bugged. I ran into the most feared terror aliens, they show up, one runs up, the other takes two steps, stops moving. Alien Activity is at the bottom of the screen...and nothing happens. It just sits there looking at it.

Tried about 6 different times. EVERY TIME it moves to the same spot on the map, and NOTHING HAPPENS

Yes, save scumming in particular refers, at least in its original etymology, to the practice in roguelikes of copying your only-on-quit save to another directory. You can do the same in x-com, or FTL for that matter.

I know what save scumming is. I'm confused as to what you think that will accomplish, given I only have one save, wherein I take a single turn, then the enemy turn happens and I never get to go back to my turn. I've tried about 7 times now doing different moves to see if it would kick it out of the rut. What exactly are you suggesting I do? Because I think i'm going to have to just start over.

Oh. When you've said you've been restarting I figured you were playing through from scratch each time, especially given how frustrated you sounded. Maybe it's a bug where it takes a LONG time to process or something? Why not try leaving it on overnight to experiment?

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    Chases Street DemonsChases Street Demons Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    So, trying to play and it tells me it has to download a small patch - and then sits there, downloading nothing. Steam problem, or something I have to do?

It says "downloading", but no activity coming in.

Chases Street Demons on
    "Sometimes things aren't complicated," I said. "You just have to be willing to accept the absolute corruption of everybody involved."

• Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    These bugs don't seem excessively bad (with apologies to SniperGuy), but how does it compare to Civ V's launch

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    I got a terror mission. It went... okay... Corporal @Harvest and Squaddie @Alazull will be missed, but the rest made it through. Really need more soldiers though, my injured reserve list is climbing. D:

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Third mission success, and I think that's going to be it for my after action reports for now. I'm playing on my laptop, and I'm going to be restarting my game when I get back home. Third mission was a downed UFO (not sure if that's always the case) and this time it was my team of four guys versus 5 sectoids and an outsider. Super Badass Heroine @Lanructon critted the outsider for all of its HP before it could even get a shot off...on a 17% hit chance while it was in full cover. Now I know how the aliens feel when that happens to one of my guys. Suck it, alien scum! Unfortunately, one of the sectoids did the same thing to my sniper on that mission. You will be missed, @Harvest.

Squaddie @Harvest, from Germany, Killed In Action.
    Squaddie @Rami, from India, with 4 kills.
    Squaddie @Lanructon, Hero of Deutschland, from the Netherlands, with 4 kills.
    Squaddie @Goumindong, from Scotland, with 4 kills.

No promotions this time, which is a damn shame.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    I think any problems you all may be having come from not getting the soldier Frei on any of your soldiers.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    If anyone thinks that scientist lady is actually speaking German properly, then boy do you have some misconceptions about Germans.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

save scum?

Tried about 6 different times. EVERY TIME it moves to the same spot on the map, and NOTHING HAPPENS

Yes, save scumming in particular refers, at least in its original etymology, to the practice in roguelikes of copying your only-on-quit save to another directory. You can do the same in x-com, or FTL for that matter.

I know what save scumming is. I'm confused as to what you think that will accomplish, given I only have one save, wherein I take a single turn, then the enemy turn happens and I never get to go back to my turn. I've tried about 7 times now doing different moves to see if it would kick it out of the rut. What exactly are you suggesting I do? Because I think i'm going to have to just start over.

Oh. When you've said you've been restarting I figured you were playing through from scratch each time, especially given how frustrated you sounded. Maybe it's a bug where it takes a LONG time to process or something? Why not try leaving it on overnight to experiment?

Hrm. Good idea. May as well try that.

• Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    Now that you guys have had some experience with the game. How are the different difficulties holding up? Is it possible to change during a playthrough.

• Options
    Klyka wrote: »
    If anyone thinks that scientist lady is actually speaking German properly, then boy do you have some misconceptions about Germans.

Or maybe they just don't speak German, right, FRAULEIN?!

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    BastableBastable Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Frei wrote: »

Or maybe they just don't speak German, right, FRAULEIN?!

Sounds pretty German to me http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=rGVhGUuRSB0#t=172s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=rGVhGUuRSB0#t=127s

Bastable on
    Philippe about the tactical deployment of german Kradschützen during the battle of Kursk:
    "I think I can comment on this because I used to live above the Baby Doll Lounge, a topless bar that was once frequented by bikers in lower Manhattan."

• Options
    I mean the people interpreting the scientist lady's german to be proper german.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular

This.
    I was talking about the English VO having some weird, super fake German accent and then speaking the worst German in the first tutorial mission.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options

This.
    I was talking about the English VO having some weird, super fake German accent and then speaking the worst German in the first tutorial mission.

I can't tell

But I can tell you I sorely wish that Sleeping Dogs had a full canto v/o track

• Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    Man this is fun. I've had some close calls, but I'm almost to the end of month three with only three non-tutorial losses.

The multiplayer is broken for me, though. Tried two matches, both froze at the end of my second round. I hope they fix that soon, because its really fun.

and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    Hmm. I've preloaded several games, and every single one I've had to delete and re-download to get to play. So I would say "What's even the point?" but it seems like noone else has this trouble. Am I missing something?

• Options
    DockenDocken Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Got carapace on my highest ranking soldier... A heavy named Boom Boom Valdez.

He's survived since the tutorial and his name should be Lucky Bastard as he's survived so many lucky misses it's actually a bit ridiculous... He was even injured when I wiped a squad!

Now it's max protect to get him to captain - he's lieutenant now - so he's got carapace plus nano fibre giving him a ton of health.

Docken on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I got emailed about the launch event tomorrow, huzzah! I was getting a bit worried they had forgot to send me the details. So excited.

Can't wait to get the game on Friday as well!

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    God, I am getting absolutely massacred in UFO missions and I don't know why. No matter what I do I just get picked apart by Sectoids and the UFO commander. I'm stuck with 33-45% CTHs for pretty much anything I do while Sectoids seem to be able to snipe me from halfway across the map in heavy cover or while Hunkered Down. I've been constantly moving from cover to cover, Overwatching at least half my squad when I can, and avoiding Dashing whenever possible. I'm almost afraid to flank enemies now after seeing the ridiclous amount of 65-95% misses I've had while flanking, only to have the flanker immediately get killed afterward.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    I feel like there is something wrong with the RNG. I hit 50% shots about 1/4 of the time [and the enemy always crits its long range reactions shots on my dashing enemies]. Difficulty is classic, but i've had at least 4-5 wipes now that should have been preventable

edit: For instance on my latest start I have 11 casualties over 4 missions(yes, that is three full wipes and i only got out of the first mission with one guy, no tutorial. In mission three the enemy shot at me 5 times, 3 of those times were long range shots with pistols into cover for critical hits, the last hit was my guy desperately trying to run away (long range critical hit, but he wasn't in cover). Its the 15th of March and I am 2 days from completing my second research [Autopsy, only kills i can get are with grenades so not enough fragments to research anything]

It seems like attempting to flank is failing because there are just more enemies at whatever path you're taking, unless the mission is "easy" [second mission's all "very difficult"]

I've had three starts and in each one it was pretty much unavoidable to lose a nation within the first month. [first terror mission always Chyssalids, "spot enemy = free move for enemy" pretty much means that unless you see the chyssalid with the first guy who moves the chyssalid will kill one of your guys(likely the guy who moved)

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    This game needs a 'Get the fuck down behind the cover. Don't look up, don't peer over the edges, don't fucking move. Just hit the ground and stay down for the love of god.' button :P

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    holy cats. I cant believe I stayed up all night playing. what's even more shocking is that im still not even tired. I was completely unaware of the passage of time I'm not a young guy anymore, didn't think I could do that stuff anymore

• Options
    stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    guys my classic difficulty iron man mission is up to 23 deaths, multiple wipes and i'm only on may 31st 2015. this is an amazing game. also, never bring two snipers to a UFO mission... (everyone dies)

stopgap on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    This game needs a 'Get the fuck down behind the cover. Don't look up, don't peer over the edges, don't fucking move. Just hit the ground and stay down for the love of god.' button :P

It has one, "hunker down". Increases defense and reduces sight range

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    @Lanrutcon is up to 15 kills with his sniper rifle and I don't think hes even been shot at once. In a shocking turn of events, I recruited a second Lanrutcon.. who is still a rookie atm.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    If you think the RNG is bad on classic, don't go near impossible. It's even more brutal there from what I have seen, as when the RNG is against you it is really against you. Also I think on classic heavy cover (full shield) is far more important to get than just any cover - half shield cover won't do it in many cases.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    Black_HeartBlack_Heart Registered User regular
    haha, wow.

My Sniper had high ground and 89% chance to hit, he had 1 health left, and he missed the shot.

Thankfully they were just Sectoids so I Run and Gunned my Assault in there to shotgun the one who was buffing the other one with Mindlink.

I have no idea killing a Mindlinker killed them both, ending the mission and saving my Sniper's life.

• Options
    CorriganX wrote: »
    @Lanrutcon is up to 15 kills with his sniper rifle and I don't think hes even been shot at once. In a shocking turn of events, I recruited a second Lanrutcon.. who is still a rookie atm.

He's a goddamn hero.

• Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Lanrutcon wrote: »

It has one, "hunker down". Increases defense and reduces sight range

You misread my requirements for said button.
    CorriganX wrote: »

Earth is pretty much already saved. You might as well go grab some coffee, We got this.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    "Sweet, all those three floaters are huddled together and my heavy has his missile in range!"

Aaaaand it missed.

• Options
    I think Lanrutcon's forum name should be changed to "Hero of Earf"

• Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    Yet to play but damn I'm loving reading these responses.

The more I read about them the more I think there's something to be said for losing a guy or girl forever if they die in mission.

It feels like, okay, there will be death and it can have an impact.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Well my first Classic run comes to an end in April. No money, one rookie soldier left, the whole of Africa in the grip of mass hysteria, and Asia soon to follow.

Damn floating bastards really did a number on me.

Granted I could sell off some stuff and maybe recruit a few more soldiers, but it is really just delaying the inevitable.

So some gripes:

1) AFAIK you cannot pick up items or trade items between soldiers right? Cause I lost one of my higher ranking dudes to the fact that he had the medikit and was dying while my other dude, who was right next to him, couldn't seem to pick it up.

2) Same with the Giantbomb guys, I am finding the fact that the aliens scatter when you first spot them to be a little annoying. Would love to get the drop on them with a well placed grenade or something.

3) The %-to-hit when it comes to the angle of a shot (whether their's or your's) seems odd. ie: I could target one guy who is simply diagonal from me and looks like he is an easy target, but I get only like 30% chance. Whereas with another target that is completely on the other side of a car from me I'll get 50-60% even though the shot (realistically) would be nigh impossible. It affects both sides as I have killed some aliens with a "Magic bullet" and also my guys have been killed by one.

Still, all in all, the game is so much fun that my complaints get washed away by all the awesome I am having. :D

Cade wrote: »
    Yet to play but damn I'm loving reading these responses.

The more I read about them the more I think there's something to be said for losing a guy or girl forever if they die in mission.

It feels like, okay, there will be death and it can have an impact.

At least twice now when I lost someone I was all, "NOOOOOOOOOO!"

The first death of one of my heavily invested characters came about in an absolutely shocking way.

The second death was while he was being a hero and saved the day.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    So, how much content am I losing if I skip the tutorial? I played three missions last night and there were a lot of cutscenes and dialogue. Does all that just go away?

Also re: the language thing. Just because the game was made by the same company that made Civilization, it doesn't mean they had the budget of Civ. It was an enormous risk to make this. It's quite possible that stuff could be added later via patch or DLC.

• Options
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I got emailed about the launch event tomorrow, huzzah! I was getting a bit worried they had forgot to send me the details. So excited.

say hi to alan for me

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    So, how much content am I losing if I skip the tutorial? I played three missions last night and there were a lot of cutscenes and dialogue. Does all that just go away?

Also re: the language thing. Just because the game was made by the same company that made Civilization, it doesn't mean they had the budget of Civ. It was an enormous risk to make this. It's quite possible that stuff could be added later via patch or DLC.

It may or may not have had the budget of Civ, but it sure had its dev time. This started development in 2008.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Jintor wrote: »
    Aegeri wrote: »

say hi to alan for me

I certainly shall!

On the VA, they didn't have multiple accents due to size constraints or something like that. So Jake compromised on having the American accent for everyone instead of having unique accents.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    Bob the InsaneBob the Insane Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    I don't see the point of not doing the tutorial? Sure we get some of it in the demo, but it was not that big of a deal and once you have been through it you don;t have to do it again...

I mean do you want to miss out on the novelty of a XCOM tutorial?? :D

Bob the Insane on
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    I don't see the point of doing the tutorial. I already know how to play the game, and it seems pretty long.

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    All of these complaints about the RNG...

VINDICATION.

This discussion has been closed.