As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

XCOM: Enemy Unknown (Not the shooter) -- Out Now. Use New Thread.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    It is pretty great to see how just one wrong move can spiral in to a disaster. :P

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    trevelliantrevellian Registered User regular
    MechMantis wrote: »
    All of these complaints about the RNG...

VINDICATION.

Remind me, what does the 'R' in RNG stand for?

As an aside - anyone picked up a PS3 copy of Xcom yet? Mine's ordered but probably won't appear before the 15/16th (which knowing my luck will be the day number 2 son decides to be born).

Considering the crap I had with the last two PS3 games I bought (skyrim and kingdoms of avalur) I am a bit twitchy about Xcom...

McGough_EA.png
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Basil wrote: »
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    Rend wrote: »
    Additionally, my 3 tutorial deaths were:
    akajaybay, Drokmir, and AspectVoid. Your unnecessary sacrifices will not be forgotten

Man, that is twice I failed to make it out of the first mission. This does not give me great hope for my future as an X-COM operative.
    Capture121.jpg

You're still kickin' on my team! Got you a snazzy Nano Fiber Vest, just to keep you alive better while you shoot mans.

Just so you know, not only am I grinning, but I have set that as my desktop background here at work. No one else in the office will understand, but I will.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Difficulty: Classic

Operation Hidden Flame (Difficult, China) seemed like your average sweep-and-clear. Basil (Assault) did his thing, charging in to flank an enemy right before shooting the Sectoid in the face. Unfortunately, that's when he himself was flanked - two Sectoids jumped down from an upper level, pinning him in. Tef (Support) dropped smoke on him, but the Sectoids drove home the kill anyway. You'll be missed, soldier.

Sq. Basil 3/2, KIA by kamikaze Sectoids
    Sq. Tef 3/2
    Rk. Dirtmuncher 5/1, promoted to Heavy
    Rk. TheKoolEagle 1/1, promoted to Support

• Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Played until 4 AM this morning, got up at 6:45 and came to work.

And all I can think about is how Lt. Aladdin is waiting on me at home. He's an Assault class, rocking a sweet Run-and-Gun + Lightning Reflexes + Tactical Sense + motherfucking shotgun to the face combination.

Just before I went to bed, my sniper picked up Squad Sight. So that's going to be fun, too. :D

This game, you guys.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    Screw the typo, I'm more concerned about Basil making me wear pink armor.

Dude.

Its not pink its "light red". :P

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    there is a severe shortage of girls in x-com

i recruit so many soldiers and so rarely get girls

stiflingly macho locker room banter is causing a dangerous rise in top gun levels

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular

stiflingly macho locker room banter is causing a dangerous rise in top gun levels
    I guess you're just not swag enough to get the fly honeys because my base is stuffed with shorties

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    I wanted to play so bad last night, but I was hit with the worst allergy attack I've had in recent memory. I spent the majority of last night in bed barely breathing.

However, i feel better today -- so hopefully I can catch up!

Also: The lack of screenshots in this thread is breaking my heart.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    Black_HeartBlack_Heart Registered User regular
    ohh wow.

On the first Terror mission, my Assault Rushes into a room and shoots a Chrysallid in the back with his Shotgun, with my Heavy waiting right outside the door, he gets surrounded by spawning floaters on the next turn, plus the Chrysallid is still alive.

I have him run back out, then my Heavy steps into the doorway with his Rocket Launcher and kills the Chrysallid + 2 Floaters all at once. So satisfying.

• Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Hullis wrote: »

I guess you're just not swag enough to get the fly honeys because my base is stuffed with shorties

Someone translate this into English for me, I am concerned that he's staffing XCom with midgets and beekeepers.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular

Someone translate this into English for me, I am concerned that he's staffing XCom with midgets and beekeepers.

I'm pretty sure its a sign that he is being controlled by an alien commander, and we need to put him down for the safety of the squad. :P

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    Chases Street DemonsChases Street Demons Registered User regular
    Thanks again to @jdarkun for his custom list and his help in getting me going.

I had started two games with default names, just to get a hang of things, and then I open an Impossible game just to see if the forum names load...and BANG, there I am.

XCom, amiright?

"Sometimes things aren't complicated," I said. "You just have to be willing to accept the absolute corruption of everybody involved."

• Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    I am starting to realize cover around a corner isnt really all that strong.i lost 2 guys i thought had cover but nope, thin man killed them.

• Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »

Operation Hidden Flame (Difficult, China) seemed like your average sweep-and-clear. Basil (Assault) did his thing, charging in to flank an enemy right before shooting the Sectoid in the face. Unfortunately, that's when he himself was flanked - two Sectoids jumped down from an upper level, pinning him in. Tef (Support) dropped smoke on him, but the Sectoids drove home the kill anyway. You'll be missed, soldier.

Sq. Basil 3/2, KIA by kamikaze Sectoids
    Sq. Tef 3/2
    Rk. Dirtmuncher 5/1, promoted to Heavy
    Rk. TheKoolEagle 1/1, promoted to Support

Woot, heavy!
    I can not yet play, but it feels good knowing i an doing my bit somewhere with a lmg!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    And so, after 122 days of hard fighting, the Aliens managed to win in my Classic Ironman game.
    The very first terror mission was the turnaround. I had no problems until then, barely any losses and things were going fine, but then in the FIRST TURN of the terror mission, I lost my 2 best soldiers to Chryssalids.
    It was a steady downhill from there, especially after the next mission became a total wipe when after killing 7 Floaters without getting hits once, I got flanked by my very first 4 Mutons who proceeded to kill my squad.

Btw, for anyone concerned, you DO NOT lose items when your soldiers die. If you build 2 laser rifles,you will always have 2 laser rifles. Same with armor and everything else. So there is basically no reason to ever build more than 6 of one type of item.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    @Klyka

There is a mutator for second wave that makes it so you lose equipment on dead soliders.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    So, weirdest thing happened in my first mission--was in the graveyard map, and a second was behind one of those pillar things. The pillar was destroyed but apparently still grants full cover. I tossed a grenade, and it was clearly encompassing him, aaand nothing. Second grenade, and still no damage.

I just have to assume that the geometry protected him, but it quickly turned the whole battle around.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    @CorriganX , @Hoz , @Grey - Sorry gents, none of us made it out of the first mission, and XCOM was terminated before it ever began. The capitulation of the human race rests heavily upon our tombstones.

"Sometimes things aren't complicated," I said. "You just have to be willing to accept the absolute corruption of everybody involved."

• Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm fucked on this ironman normal run. Got two veteran squads wiped on two different missions. Mind control is evil.

• Options
    edited October 2012

Operation Driving Night was a downed UFO assault. Nothing about this mission went as expected. After fixing, flanking, and finishing a pair of Sectoids outside the craft, a being of pure energy (and, one assumes, malevolent hate) materialized to defend the craft. This thing was a motherfucker. We set up an ambush outside the craft, and drew it into the field of fire. It ignored our Overwatch shots and returned fire, critically injuring RabidDeathMoose. Tef moved into position to render medical assistance, but our left flank was compromised when another pair of Sectoids ambushed and killed BahamutZERO. RabidDeathMoose bled out as Tef was forced to shore up the flank to prevent a total squad wipe. vegeta_666 flanked and killed the hate machine, after destroying its cover with a grenade. We lost some alien material, but it was necessary.

Sq. Tef 6/3, promoted to Corporal. Wounded (7 days).
    Rk. RabidDeathMoose 1/1, KIA. Bled out after being critically shot by an Outsider.
    Rk. BahamutZERO 0/1, KIA. Flanked by a pair of Sectoids.
    Rk. vegeta_666 1/1, promoted to Squaddie / Assault. Gravely wounded (15 days).

jdarksun on
  • Options
    johnwingjohnwing Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Pretty great video about the X-Com council. http://www.dorkly.com/video/44907/emergency-xcom-meeting

I'm sitting here... in Europe... waiting... (don't have the guts to try the vpn, since I have a lot of games on steam.)

johnwing on
  • Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    Is there a way to not have the camera zoom in and center on the unit I select? It's annoying as fuck and I feel like I'm fighting with the camera all the time to get an overview of the map.

• Options
    krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    Can someone spoiler what the extent of the tutorial content is? I'm wondering where it leaves me versus starting without the tutorial.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular

Translation:

My good sir, I am under the assumption that you do not possess the sufficient amount of charisma to attract women of the highest quality. My headquarters is staffed quite generously with fair maidens.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    After I lost my badass Assault @Basil I thought all was lost. Suddenly theres reports of alien abductions in South Africa. I go there to unleash vengeance upon the Invaders, in the name of Basil's home country of course. Not only did we complete the mission, but my replacement Assault captain was injured. Luckily as a reward for clearing that mission I was given a new assault at captain rank. Captain @AspectVoid has joined the team, and has taken over Basil's spot. Try not to get shot in the face, and use your new plasma rifle to kick ET's ass.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    krylon666 wrote: »
    Can someone spoiler what the extent of the tutorial content is? I'm wondering where it leaves me versus starting without the tutorial.
    It's two missions long, with the first mission totally scripted. You get a free squaddie promoted out of it, but it also decides the layout of certain facilities in your base. Personally, I think it's worth it for one playthrough.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

y severe swag shortages

but its ok i made a squad of bros instead

lieutenant chad "brad" tadwick
    sergeant brad "vlad" chadwick
    sergeant vlad "tad" bradwick
    sergeant tad "chad" vladwick

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Had a couple of X-Com (original) questions

1) Can the aliens retreat in a landed UFO mission? The mission ended abruptly, and I know there was at least one Sectoid left.
    2) Is there a way to prove that the game is remembering difficulty? I.e., that the patch has been applied correctly.

• Options

Operation Red Ring was a quick scuffle in Germany. A handful of Sectoids in exposed locations that were quickly routed and destroyed. The only bit of excitement was when a Sectoid got a lucky shot off on Moridin, but she perked right up after some first aid.

Sq. "Heavy" Dirtmuncher 6/2, promoted to Corporal
    Sq. "Support" TheKoolEagle 2/2
    Rk. Moridin889 1/1, promoted to Squaddie/Heavy. Gravely wounded (11 days).
    Rk. Mirael D'Kana 1/1, promoted to Squaddie/Sniper.

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    Now I'm at school for ~10 hours.

UNIVERSITY. WHAT. THE. HELL. I've got a planet to save here! You'd think they'd give me respite on these due dates.

• Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    get here... faster... friday...

• Options
    Anyone know if a person takes damage but then is fully healed via medkits if they still need time off?

• Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    @krylon666

This is more or less the extent of the tutorial content
    You start off responding to a crashed military helicopter, during which you control the members of your squad, but the outcome of every action is pre-determined. Hilariously, three of the four team members die, in order to give you a taste of how the game is going to go down. There's lots of exposition and FMV's, and you're subsequently taken through the rest of the mission types, excluding terror, while showing you what research is, and how to build stuff that you've researched.

If you do the tutorial, you're only allowed to set your base in three of the five continents instead of picking whichever you damn well please.

It's my opinion that if you've played XCOM before, or are smarter than a bag of rocks and can figure things out as you go, the tutorial is a waste of time.

In unrelated news, it's incredibly easy to mod the pool of random soldier names. Under steamapps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\XComGame\Config\DefaultNameList, you can add and delete names that go to individual nationalities. Or just comment them out with a semicolon. The ability to mod more aspects of the game has got me incredibly excited, as there are already tons of little things that I find annoying, and I've only played for a few hours. I will be making the shit out of my own mods once it's better understood how to go about that. May god have mercy on the souls of those of you who bought this on console.

• Options
    PrimePrime UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    I broke down and unlocked it this morning....work has 1 hour 2 min to go before the dash home to play. Take away has already been ordered to arrive at 7.30pm. I considered a bucket for bio functions but figured that was taking it too far :P

Prime on
  • Options
    If there is one thing that Faster Than Light has helped me with it's coping with loss and moving on.

Also, I just did 20 pushups and oh my god, has it really only been 4 months since i hit the gym?

• Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    Mutter mutter. Lost two hours of play last night due to autosave being unchecked by default in the options, and the reload tooltip bug locking me out of even going into the menus. Was a crazy lucky run, too. Two supports who were freaking laser rifle snipers, all three UFOs I'd attacked had intact everything, etc.

Oh well, new game with autosaving enabled since this bug hits me every other freaking mission (basically, reload prompt stays open no matter the troop/escape closes it but leaves you in a state where it's insisting you have to reload and cannot take any other action). Will only go away if you switch weapons/switch back. Except heavies can't do that, so if your only unmoved unit is a heavy.. bleh.) WTB option to turn off the giant "YOU SHOULD RELOAD NOW" prompt anyways. I'm fully freaking aware!

New game is going.. far less swimmingly. Only one death so far (rookie takes fire from two sectiods, panics. Next to a now burning car, you stupid rookie.), but everyone else is rotating through the infirmary due to hilarious numbers of sectiods eventually landing a hit. My last run wound up with us in a construction yard and eight sectiods on top of a building firing down on us. At least we took a live floater for the trouble.

• Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular

my starting 12, 4 men, 8 women.

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    kildy wrote: »
    Mutter mutter. Lost two hours of play last night due to autosave being unchecked by default in the options, and the reload tooltip bug locking me out of even going into the menus. Was a crazy lucky run, too. Two supports who were freaking laser rifle snipers, all three UFOs I'd attacked had intact everything, etc.

Oh well, new game with autosaving enabled since this bug hits me every other freaking mission (basically, reload prompt stays open no matter the troop/escape closes it but leaves you in a state where it's insisting you have to reload and cannot take any other action). Will only go away if you switch weapons/switch back. Except heavies can't do that, so if your only unmoved unit is a heavy.. bleh.) WTB option to turn off the giant "YOU SHOULD RELOAD NOW" prompt anyways. I'm fully freaking aware!

New game is going.. far less swimmingly. Only one death so far (rookie takes fire from two sectiods, panics. Next to a now burning car, you stupid rookie.), but everyone else is rotating through the infirmary due to hilarious numbers of sectiods eventually landing a hit. My last run wound up with us in a construction yard and eight sectiods on top of a building firing down on us. At least we took a live floater for the trouble.

What bug is this?

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    Half my squad is dames.

This discussion has been closed.