Options

XCOM: Enemy Unknown (Not the shooter) -- Out Now. Use New Thread.

• Options
    RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    No Retabas? I haven't put in the forum names list but I will when I get home.

I still have the heavy I got from the first tutorial mission and he is doing well, hits most of the time and somehow always ends up in the proper place to clean up when others fail.

Also a sniper, really my team is a sniper/heavy and revolving other characters. Lost 3 people including my strongest support capturing a muton.
    Story explained (Sorry if this a block, didn't sleep much and I have to type fast as I am at work)
    I was on this car map that was basically a thin rectangle, moving my people up and I spot 3 mutons standing around but they didn't see me so I pulled back and used my heavy's rocket on them. Killed 1 and heavily wounded 2, moving my people up I also engaged 3 thin men, on a round I used my sniper and finished off one of the mutons and bunkered everyone else up. Next round, my assault runned and gunned behind the muton and shot a thin man, my rookie with the arc hid infront of the car with the muton and my sniper shot the Mutons rifle. Next round I stun him and he is down, everyone celebrates and I move my assault to cover the rookie and stunned muton, which triggers 3 more thin men and 3 floaters across the street. Assault and rookie get gunned the next round from an endless barrage of plasma. My medic was gunned down the next round because he was closer to the group, rest of my team whittles them down (mostly my sniper) and I win and get a canadian lady who never hits anything ever. I am 3-5 missions later and her reaction fire or shots have never hit anything I am not even kidding I am going to bench her.

I will post updates about forumers when I get that running.

• Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    kildy wrote: »
    Mutter mutter. Lost two hours of play last night due to autosave being unchecked by default in the options, and the reload tooltip bug locking me out of even going into the menus. Was a crazy lucky run, too. Two supports who were freaking laser rifle snipers, all three UFOs I'd attacked had intact everything, etc.

Oh well, new game with autosaving enabled since this bug hits me every other freaking mission (basically, reload prompt stays open no matter the troop/escape closes it but leaves you in a state where it's insisting you have to reload and cannot take any other action). Will only go away if you switch weapons/switch back. Except heavies can't do that, so if your only unmoved unit is a heavy.. bleh.) WTB option to turn off the giant "YOU SHOULD RELOAD NOW" prompt anyways. I'm fully freaking aware!

New game is going.. far less swimmingly. Only one death so far (rookie takes fire from two sectiods, panics. Next to a now burning car, you stupid rookie.), but everyone else is rotating through the infirmary due to hilarious numbers of sectiods eventually landing a hit. My last run wound up with us in a construction yard and eight sectiods on top of a building firing down on us. At least we took a live floater for the trouble.

What bug is this?

My game repeatedly decides everyone needs to reload, no matter their ammo status. If you escape/okay out of the prompt it still acts locked in tutorial mode, and won't let you move/fire/overwatch/even go into the escape menu without reloading. Switching weapons clears the behavior, but I finally lost my ability to do anything when it happened to a heavy who was the last unmoved unit since he can't switch weapons.

This happens once a map/every other map or so to me.

• Options
    bamjobamjo Registered User regular
    Man, fuck VIP missions. Total squad wipe both times. First time my sniper panicked and shot the VIP who was huddled behind a car. Do cover and aim come into play with friendly fire?

Also to whoever had the view get stuck zoomed in when they tried to go to mission control, that happened to me too. Mashing on esc fixed it, for some reason the game doesn't seem to lock the mission control button out when you are in another room. The only other bug I've found so far is a texture glitch where certain geometries will change textures wildly with a flashing strobe-like effect. It is easily ignored except for when it is a texture your guys have to walk on, then it actually interferes with the movement ui box. In one of the above VIP missions it resulted in a rookie jumping down from a container and ending his turn in the open rather than in the elevated cover I was clicking on.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    kaliyama wrote: »
    Aaand my game bugged. I ran into the most feared terror aliens, they show up, one runs up, the other takes two steps, stops moving. Alien Activity is at the bottom of the screen...and nothing happens. It just sits there looking at it.

I'm playing on Ironman. I've reloaded 3 times. What the fuck.

save scum?

Aaand my game bugged. I ran into the most feared terror aliens, they show up, one runs up, the other takes two steps, stops moving. Alien Activity is at the bottom of the screen...and nothing happens. It just sits there looking at it.

I'm playing on Ironman. I've reloaded 3 times. What the fuck.

Tried about 6 different times. EVERY TIME it moves to the same spot on the map, and NOTHING HAPPENS

Yes, save scumming in particular refers, at least in its original etymology, to the practice in roguelikes of copying your only-on-quit save to another directory. You can do the same in x-com, or FTL for that matter.

I know what save scumming is. I'm confused as to what you think that will accomplish, given I only have one save, wherein I take a single turn, then the enemy turn happens and I never get to go back to my turn. I've tried about 7 times now doing different moves to see if it would kick it out of the rut. What exactly are you suggesting I do? Because I think i'm going to have to just start over.

Oh. When you've said you've been restarting I figured you were playing through from scratch each time, especially given how frustrated you sounded. Maybe it's a bug where it takes a LONG time to process or something? Why not try leaving it on overnight to experiment?

Hrm. Good idea. May as well try that.
    Sadly this still didn't work. Time to start over! Skipping the tutorial this time at least.

• Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    Hm, I had started to think VIPs were invulnerable. I had a rookie panic next to one (after panicking four times that mission from taking ONE FREAKING DAMAGE) and fire on it with what should have been 100% chance to hit. That rookie caused all the damage my team sustained beyond her one health nick. Terrible rookie.

• Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    bamjo wrote: »
    Man, fuck VIP missions. Total squad wipe both times. First time my sniper panicked and shot the VIP who was huddled behind a car. Do cover and aim come into play with friendly fire?

Also to whoever had the view get stuck zoomed in when they tried to go to mission control, that happened to me too. Mashing on esc fixed it, for some reason the game doesn't seem to lock the mission control button out when you are in another room. The only other bug I've found so far is a texture glitch where certain geometries will change textures wildly with a flashing strobe-like effect. It is easily ignored except for when it is a texture your guys have to walk on, then it actually interferes with the movement ui box. In one of the above VIP missions it resulted in a rookie jumping down from a container and ending his turn in the open rather than in the elevated cover I was clicking on.

Panic is currently fucked to high hell, from what people are saying. And the elevation bugging out seems to be pretty common. It would be something to rapidly address in patches, I guess.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular

As soon as my VIP died I just booked it to the exit area. The real bullshit thing is how Thin Men just appear and gank your VIP. You telling me that I need reactive fire on 2 dudes to beat these missions? Goddamnit

• Options
    VelmeranVelmeran Registered User regular
    I played for three hours last night. Lost two soldiers on the first mission, but was doing really well until the last mission of the night. Had to go rescue an lady who escaped from alien abduction in France. Two of my soldiers were injured so it was just Me (Sniper), my corporal Support, with two new rookies. Sadly this is the first mission I had run into thin men and it seems they LOVE to crit for 6 as I lost my support on the second turn, and a second rookie right before we could get to the lady. Thankfully the other rookie put on her game face and proceed to take out 5 aliens on her first mission, while I decided to just try and scare the aliens away with close shots.

If you want to watch I streamed it for a friend, its 3 hours of xcom that you can probably skip about 1/2 of due to us just reading lots of stuff we don't know, and arguing about leveling up which skills. password is: xcom I'm not a pro-streamer, and you can't see my friends messages to me, just me talking back to him. Will try and get him in the audio tonight if he still wants to watch.

Game of the year, nay, game of All Time.

Vechloran.png
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    there is a severe shortage of girls in x-com

i recruit so many soldiers and so rarely get girls

stiflingly macho locker room banter is causing a dangerous rise in top gun levels

my starting 12, 4 men, 8 women.

i had zero in my opening lot and i had to recruit 12 more to get even 1

i am being scamed!

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    mrt144 wrote: »

As soon as my VIP died I just booked it to the exit area. The real bullshit thing is how Thin Men just appear and gank your VIP. You telling me that I need reactive fire on 2 dudes to beat these missions? Goddamnit

Thin men aka trolololl men. Meme's from outerspace.

You: sweet, home free.
    Then the trollolol music starts playing.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    @Lanrutcon How is panic fucked to high hell?

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular

Yeah, you learn real fast that just booking the VIP to the extraction zone after nabbing him is a not sly, pro tactic at all, and the game will fuck you over if you try that shit.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I have exactly 1 customized soldier. He is the sole survivor of tutorial mission 1 and has survived 2 subsequent missions. His name: Ronald Ulysses Swanson.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    bamjobamjo Registered User regular

Yeah the thin men coming down from nowhere and then popping overwatch is borderline bullshit. You don't know where they will drop, so you have to guess about good cover, but then you cant even move to better cover without taking reaction fire. It probably wouldn't have bothered me so much if I hadn't lost my best guy. The support who, after his whole squad was killed/critically wounded, stabilized a dying comrade and proceeded to clear a UFO single handed. With one hp bar remaining, he ran right up to the outsider and shot it in the face. RIP Cpl Sanders... I hoped to make you the Colonel.

• Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    InkSplat wrote: »

Your dudes take shots at friendlies when in panic way more than the % in the game files indicate they should. Either there are other modifiers in play that people haven't found yet (game difficulty?) or it's a bug.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I have exactly 1 customized soldier. He is the sole survivor of tutorial mission 1 and has survived 2 subsequent missions. His name: Ronald Ulysses Swanson.

Naming a soldier Ron Swanson activates god mode. I am planning on a squad that also contains a Ron Swanson and Burt Maclin ex-FBI agent turned XCOM recruit.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    So just got the chance to start. Playing Classic Wussman. First impressions.
    Iolo is a much better assistant than this Bradford guy.
    Woodroez is one of my new recruits for the second mission. He damn well better rank up to sniper.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Starting off with Normal Ironman but already had a good XCOM moment. In a horrible inept example of attempted flanking, one of my rookies was gunned down and the other got blown up by a car. Fortunately, Canadian Assault Sergeant Zap Rowsdower has made it through unscathed so far and made short work of several sectoids.

What a fantastic game.

And, I hate to say it, but it controls soooo much better with a 360 controller. The KBAM stuff is pretty clunky right now. I'm sure they can patch it up, but I'm playing with a controller until they do.

• Options
    edited October 2012
    I've found the controls on PC to be fine for myself. course I just remapped my logitech g600 to do things.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    Lanrutcon wrote: »

Your dudes take shots at friendlies when in panic way more than the % in the game files indicate they should. Either there are other modifiers in play that people haven't found yet (game difficulty?) or it's a bug.

So, again, people don't understand how probabilities work? Out of the 4 panic situations I've had, all 4 have shot at the enemy.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Though I really, really would like to be able to choose the class a Squadie becomes.

edit- Oh also, can anyone give me tips on how to effectively use Snipers. Currently I hate them.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    Starting off with Normal Ironman but already had a good XCOM moment. In a horrible inept example of attempted flanking, one of my rookies was gunned down and the other got blown up by a car. Fortunately, Canadian Assault Sergeant Zap Rowsdower has made it through unscathed so far and made short work of several sectoids.

What a fantastic game.

And, I hate to say it, but it controls soooo much better with a 360 controller. The KBAM stuff is pretty clunky right now. I'm sure they can patch it up, but I'm playing with a controller until they do.

Bonus points for Rowsdower!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    What is reaction fire and supression? I'm assuming reaction fire is when they shoot in overwatch. Is supression an ability?

• Options
    xgalaxyxgalaxy Registered User regular
    So I've been trying to purchase this on Steam since yesterday and Steam just keeps giving me an error when I go to 'checkout'. Haven't event gotten to the payment information yet.

I've been watching a few streams of this on twitch and it looks like a lot of fun but boy is the game buggy.
    UI completely disappearing, a bunch of problems with terrain elevation (soldier by a latter will start to float, terrain flickering in and out, unable to move onto higher terrain, etc.).

GW2: Rancid Cupcake (Necro), Ranch Dressing (Ranger)
  • Options
    wreckzorswreckzors Registered User regular
    I didn't get to play this game at all last night but woke up an hour and early to play it before work. I am really enjoying it. I had started a game on normal and didn't lose anyone other than the guys you have to as part of the tutorial. One thing I learned is not to shoot a thin man in the face at close range. My guy got poisoned and then panicked. Luckily he failed to shoot any of his comrades.

Have many of you guys been using the faces on your solders or have you been putting helmets on them? I feel like it is harder to form a bond with them if they have a helmet on.... cause ya know.... I want their inevitable death to be as painful as possible.

• Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    I had a Rowsdower on my team last night. When he died the squad fell apart

• Options
    Movitz wrote: »
    What is reaction fire and supression? I'm assuming reaction fire is when they shoot in overwatch. Is supression an ability?

Reaction fire is both Overwatch and Suppression fire. Suppression is an ability that Heavy's, Supports, and a lot of aliens get.

• Options
    Axen wrote: »
    Though I really, really would like to be able to choose the class a Squadie becomes.

edit- Oh also, can anyone give me tips on how to effectively use Snipers. Currently I hate them.

I really dislike snipers too, mostly because they can't see shit at all. More than half the time I'm running around with a goddamn pistol because these alien fucks aren't going to expose themselves for even a lame body shot.

• Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    Hmm.. So apparently if you fill up your skyranger with 13 civilians, and then retreat your 2 remaining soldiers away from the like 8 chrysalids, your soldiers are like "Woahwoahwoah.. What are you guys doing in here? Nope. Back out you go." and you get 0 civilians saved on the mission rating.

• Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Oh man. Lone Wolf Achievement-- Complete a UFO mission with a single soldier on Classic or Impossible.

I was kinda thinking of attempting an action hero playthrough.
    Tradition dates back to FF Tactics and the SCC challenge.

I... don't think I'm man enough to pull it off.

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    Actually, my biggest annoyance with the game so far is that the helmets don't add like a turtle-neck effect, where the neck gets colored to match the armor.

I suppose that's a pretty minor complaint. :P

• Options
    DuriniaDurinia Evolved from Space Potatoes Registered User regular
    So, after playing a couple hours (between repeatedly putting sick children back to sleep) last night, I'm supposed to get work done today?

How?!?

For business reasons, I must preserve the outward sign of sanity.
    --Mark Twain
  • Options
    PrimePrime UKRegistered User regular
    Xaviar wrote: »
    Hmm.. So apparently if you fill up your skyranger with 13 civilians, and then retreat your 2 remaining soldiers away from the like 8 chrysalids, your soldiers are like "Woahwoahwoah.. What are you guys doing in here? Nope. Back out you go." and you get 0 civilians saved on the mission rating.

haha wow, thats a great image ive got in my head now :)

• Options
    thepizzaelementalthepizzaelemental Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    If you do not have the favor of the XCOM RNG gods, you need to sacrifice more rookies.

Everybody knows the Random Number God is only appeased through your misfortune.

So, I put an hour or so into the game last night. Finished three missions, and, not counting the full wipe in the first mission for an instant game-over, I've lost one squaddie, an assault. I thought I was going to be clever and flank the sectoids that just retreated from my kill zone. NOPE. Turns out there was another squad in the fog on the side I moved for, and the tables were turned.

Classic difficulty feels great. I don't think I'll be able to play with Ironman off, ever, it just makes the decisions I have to make much more important. Firaxis, you guys are all right.

MH3: B77AE9 - Natou
  • Options
    PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    The aliens are just slaughtering my rookies at this point.

pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    So this game is kinda hard.

Also, I dislike how your soldier gets a random specialty, instead of letting you select one. I don't need 3 goddamn snipers.

EDIT: And yeah, playing with a gamepad. There's no reason not to.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Anyone know if a person takes damage but then is fully healed via medkits if they still need time off?
    Yes, they do. And the time off is proportional to the amount of damage received.

• Options
    SirsonSirson Registered User regular
    Everything was rolling good until a "very difficult"
    Zombie/Crawler mission. Bad things happened.. Bad Bad things and no save game for 3 hours.

• Options
    JacquesCousteauJacquesCousteau Registered User regular
    Ugh. Haven't been paying too much attention to this and it sounds awesome. Probably going to have to wait until Windows 8 comes out though - don't see the point in upgrading to 7 when it's so close.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.