As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Colonel, why can't I just take their guns?

• Options
    Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Why did Leon not bother to learn Spanish before being sent to Spain to find the president's daughter? The first thing he had to fucking do was talk to Spanish people.

They already summed this up in detail later on when they thoroughly establish that Leon is small time.

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Why did Leon not bother to learn Spanish before being sent to Spain to find the president's daughter? The first thing he had to fucking do was talk to Spanish people.

...really?

I dunno. When the president's daughter is kidnapped, I don't usually take the vast amount of time required to learn a language first. I usually, you know, focus on saving her.

Thats just me.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Neo Rasa wrote: »

They already summed this up in detail later on when they thoroughly establish that Leon is small time.

Well, how long was it from the time that Leon was told he had a mission to resque Ashley before he was in the car in the intro to the game? A day... two days?

Can you learn Spanish in a day?

edit: How do I get beated?

Einhander on
  • Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Raslin wrote: »

...really?

I dunno. When the president's daughter is kidnapped, I don't usually take the vast amount of time required to learn a language first. I usually, you know, focus on saving her.

Thats just me.

I mean, at least he couldof started reading a spanish prhrasebook or learned a little at the very least instead of going up to some spanish farmer and waving a photograph of someone at them. Although, was there actually a point where Leon did not understand what was said to him in Spanish? Maybe he did know and just didn't take it in, for example, the first farmer basically says 'Fuck you' to Leon and Leon's response is 'Geez, sorry to have bothered you' so it could be possible Leon may have known how to speak and understand spanish. Either way, lucky for him all the head honchos in that game could seak fluent English.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Another thing that gets me in a lot of games is the fact that NPCs are so damn selfish (especially in RPG and Adventure games).

There might be an evil demon coming, who will eat the souls of everyone in the city. So you visit the local wizard and ask him for a reagent that you need to drive away the demon. His response is invariably something like: "OK, I'll help, but first you have to deliver this letter to my acolyte on the other side of town, and then clear out the rat infestation in my basement".

Why can't you just knock the selfish gits over the head and take the damn items you need?

Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I think it was from the IGN64 review but the terrible fog effects in Superman 64 are due to Lex Luthor releasing a 'kryptonite gas' into Metropolis.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    Marlor wrote: »
    no, see

that's the game telling you directly that it won't work, like saying 'You don't need to use the word 'lightbulb' to complete this story.'

shade changes it so that the error messages help you to identify further with the protagonist

considering shade is all about identity, that's pretty important

I still think I'd be tempted to yell at the screen "No, really, I do want the dark, stop telling me I don't".

But I haven't played Shade, so maybe it actually works well in practice.

check it out it is rad as hell

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Another thing that gets me in a lot of games is the fact that NPCs are so damn selfish (especially in RPG and Adventure games).

There might be an evil demon coming, who will eat the souls of everyone in the city. So you visit the local wizard and ask him for a reagent that you need to drive away the demon. His response is invariably something like: "OK, I'll help, but first you have to deliver this letter to my acolyte on the other side of town, and then clear out the rat infestation in my basement".

Why can't you just knock the selfish gits over the head and take the damn items you need?

Well, if that wizard gave every level eleven spiky haired wuss who walked in a free potion/ultimate weapon/magical charm... well, let's jsut say it wouldn't be very good for business.

Einhander on
  • Options
    Black IceBlack Ice Charlotte, NCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I've noticed a lot about MGS2, but what about MGS3?

Just an hour into the game..
    You see Ocelot killing people with one shot of his 9mm. Yet it takes multiple assault rifle rounds to take down an enemy when actually playing.

And then there are so many adventure games where you cannot jump, and when you encounter 1 foot raises in elevation, the character can't lift his leg up to cope with the elevation change. It's a boundary. :-/

Black Ice on
  • Options
    AydrAydr Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Einhander wrote: »

Well, how long was it from the time that Leon was told he had a mission to resque Ashley before he was in the car in the intro to the game? A day... two days?

I think a much better question is why did they not have any Spanish-speaking agents to send instead of Leon? Wouldn't someone else have made a little more sense?

Aydr on
  • Options
    revolverevolve Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

...really?

Thats just me.

I mean, at least he couldof started reading a spanish prhrasebook or learned a little at the very least instead of going up to some spanish farmer and waving a photograph of someone at them. Although, was there actually a point where Leon did not understand what was said to him in Spanish? Maybe he did know and just didn't take it in, for example, the first farmer basically says 'Fuck you' to Leon and Leon's response is 'Geez, sorry to have bothered you' so it could be possible Leon may have known how to speak and understand spanish. Either way, lucky for him all the head honchos in that game could seak fluent English.

It seemed to me as if Leon didn't speak Spanish, but could tell from the tone and inflection in the farmer's voice that, dude was pissed.

revolve on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    But I haven't played Shade, so maybe it actually works well in practice.

check it out it is rad as hell

Cool. I grabbed the Z-Code version, so I can run it with Frotz. I'll try it tonight.

Marlor on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Aydr wrote: »

I think a much better question is why did they not have any Spanish-speaking agents to send instead of Leon? Wouldn't someone else have made a little more sense?

Or at least send Leon in WITH someone who speaks spanish..

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Well, if that wizard gave every level eleven spiky haired wuss who walked in a free potion/ultimate weapon/magical charm... well, let's jsut say it wouldn't be very good for business.

20050114h.jpg

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Aydr wrote: »

Leon is the only man cut out for the job. Weird Zombie-like cult members? Well, Leon did survive Racoon City. Also, he's already a top operative, so maybe there simply wasn't anyone better suited for the job.

Einhander on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007

...really?

Thats just me.

It's pretty apparent Leon understands Spanish. The rest of it is "ease for the viewer", maybe they'll all speaking Spanish but it's presented in English, like movies/shows like to do.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    No wait, I have a winner. In Clive Barker's Undying, the game sticks you in a haunted mansion and the developers guide you along a fairly linear path to get the full effects from their scare tactics. To do this, they lock off every door along the way, even ones you just walked through. "Jammed." "It's stuck." Said locked doors only open up after you do certain things.

Also, did the Metroid Prime games ever explain why you had to shoot doors to open them? I have a funny image in mind of what it was like to live on the peaceful Chozo-inhabited worlds and every citizen had to be armed just to get from the temple to the marketplace.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Any game where in a cutscene, you jump a large gap or scale a large wall, and as soon as you regain control, the exact same gap/wall or a similar one is an unpassable obstacle.
    Reversely, when you can take on 20 guards at a time in game, and then as soon as a cut scene kicks in, you surrender to one or two.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    redstormpopcornredstormpopcorn Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    emnmnme wrote: »
    No wait, I have a winner. In Clive Barker's Undying, the game sticks you in a haunted mansion and the developers guide you along a fairly linear path to get the full effects from their scare tactics. To do this, they lock off every door along the way, even ones you just walked through. "Jammed." "It's stuck." Said locked doors only open up after you do certain things.

redstormpopcorn on
    emot-kamina.gifBELIEVE IN YOU, WHO BELIEVES IN YOURSELF emot-kamina.gif
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Black Ice wrote: »

You see Ocelot killing people with one shot of his 9mm. Yet it takes multiple assault rifle rounds to take down an enemy when actually playing.

And then there are so many adventure games where you cannot jump, and when you encounter 1 foot raises in elevation, the character can't lift his leg up to cope with the elevation change. It's a boundary. :-/
    In MGS Snake steps right?

Anyway, IIRC Ocelot is taking some fine ass shots and you can as well. I believe head shots are still one hit kills in MGS.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    Black Ice wrote: »

it's because it's fucking Ocelot, man. Dude kills anything with his guns.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Or yeah you fight some guy at some point in the story and then later on he joins your party and is weaker then when you fought him.

Or, maybe you just caught up to his level.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Hahahah! You played Haunted Mansion?

Christ you must go through games by the truckload to play that lump of shit.

JJ on
  • Options
    chaossoldierchaossoldier Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Some games annoy me about this, but what the hell is up with the invincible light bulbs. On that note, where the hell can one get some body armor made out of that substance? Especially on games that have missions requiring some stealth but don't allow you to darken the place.

chaossoldier on
    stopit.gifsophia.gifrotj.png
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Or yeah you fight some guy at some point in the story and then later on he joins your party and is weaker then when you fought him.

No because these events usually happen with in minutes of each other.

Or a guy will have like 30,000 hp when you fight him and then drop down to 300 when you get him. So lame.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Or a guy will have like 30,000 hp when you fight him and then drop down to 300 when you get him. So lame.

On top of that, 90% of the attacks they were kicking your ass with are gone.

chaossoldier on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Also, did the Metroid Prime games ever explain why you had to shoot doors to open them? I have a funny image in mind of what it was like to live on the peaceful Chozo-inhabited worlds and every citizen had to be armed just to get from the temple to the marketplace.

Well they did have guns - See the crazy Ghost chozo.

I however found it interesting in Echos though how the world magically spliting in two would change those doors to dark and light energy powered doors.

Were those guys just waiting for years for dark matter to form so they could see what was behind that shit?

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

I assumed it was designed to open from some kind of energy reaction.

chaossoldier on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

If you scanned a door it said that they have an energy field around them to keep wildlife from getting in, it then says that a shot from your gun will disrupt the field. I assume there's a more peaceful way, but Samus doesn't have the time. :P

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It's not like it's something I'd expect, but it'd be at least a little realistic if anybody else in all of Hyrule would contribute to Malo's fund in Twilight Princess.

Give me a break. It wasn't that hard to get all the rupees, but come on. I paid to build the bridge and I paid for your fucking store. It should be fucking Taximes Mart.

Taximes on
  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Taximes wrote: »
    It's not like it's something I'd expect, but it'd be at least a little realistic if anybody else in all of Hyrule would contribute to Malo's fund in Twilight Princess.

Give me a break. It wasn't that hard to get all the rupees, but come on. I paid to build the bridge and I paid for your fucking store. It should be fucking Taximes Mart.

And then you get to pay a high price for armor that uses rupees for fuel. Would it kill someone to give a little bit of recognition?

Or any game where you still get to play after beating the final boss and fending off evil, and you'd be lucky to get so much as a friendly "thanks" from anyone in the town.

Or any RPG where the world is faced with incredible impending doom if action is not taken quickly but ooh sidequests rats shiny!

Also
    concerned172.jpg

Fugitive on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This one is a little different. It's an explanation of why a quest giver can't be more helpful instead of why you can't do something.

One quest in Fallout 2 requires you to track down someone who cheated a crime boss. When you ask for a description of your target, you're given a rather generic description. You can select an option to complain about how vague it is and how it matches a ton of people you've seen in the game world, which did not have the largest variety of character models. The npc will comment that he understands entirely and suspects that there was a freak cloning accident somewhere in the past that resulted in so many people using the same character models.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    SharpieSharpie Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I think it's kinda weird how in WoW you can kill a wolf and they will sometimes drop something like a shield. What need would a wolf have for a shield?

Sharpie on
    pasig.jpgPW2.jpg
  • Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I also have to give credit to games that at least have a general explanation for why corpses just disappear (in Prince of Persia, they were turning back into sand, etc). Graphically it can be necessary, but rarely is it ever explained.

Moreso, though, I <3 games that just leave them there so you can watch 'em pile up.

Taximes on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    The npc will comment that he understands entirely and suspects that there was a freak cloning accident somewhere in the past that resulted in so many people using the same character models.

That's the best explanation for reused models I've ever seen.

Halo should have had an explanation like that:

Master Chief: "Why do the interiors of all these buildings look alike?"
    Cortana: "Umm... building regulations... Yeah, that's it".

Marlor on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

On top of that, 90% of the attacks they were kicking your ass with are gone.

To be fair, Chrono Trigger had a reasonable explanation for this, what with Magus getting his powered drained by Lavos in the Ocean Palace cutscene.

Furu on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Or any game where you still get to play after beating the final boss and fending off evil, and you'd be lucky to get so much as a friendly "thanks" from anyone in the town.

In most of the RPGs I've played, the regular townsfolk weren't aware that you were the one who saved the world. Heck, some games the townsfolk weren't even aware the world was in peril at all.
    Moreso, though, I games that just leave them there so you can watch 'em pile up.

One of my favorite things about Resistance: I love to stop and admire my work after a heated battle. :D
    Furu wrote:
    To be fair, Chrono Trigger had a reasonable explanation for this, what with Magus getting his powered drained by Lavos in the Ocean Palace cutscene.

Yeah, I was thinking that, too. However, it always looked to me like he managed to prevent Lavos from doing so (or maybe he only stopped him from COMPLETELY draining his powers). You could also argue that the big attack he used (the one that "didn't work") on Lavos might've taken a huge toll on his powers as well.

I just always found it to be an odd explanation, because there's never a point later on where he says "Oh, I'm back to full power".

On the subject of Zelda: TP, it always bugged me how Midna would never let Link transform in front of people on account of "scaring them". Why couldn't Link just tell his friends about his lupine disorder? It's not like they'd shun him. Heck, they'd probably think he was even cooler.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    redstormpopcornredstormpopcorn Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    JJ wrote: »
    Hahahah! You played Haunted Mansion?

Christ you must go through games by the truckload to play that lump of shit.
    There was a Haunted Mansion game? o_O

redstormpopcorn on
    emot-kamina.gifBELIEVE IN YOU, WHO BELIEVES IN YOURSELF emot-kamina.gif
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

...really?

Thats just me.

They could've sent him with an interpreter.

(or a team of navy seals for that matter)

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    KPCKPC Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Oh, and in Splinter Cell, why does Sam have a light on his back? I mean, he's supposed to be sneaking around all stealth ninja-like and he has a source of light on his back?

But then that's just bad character design, I guess.

...unless it was explained... I didn't play too much of it.

KPC on