Tell Me What To Draw

JonnydarkJonnydark Registered User
edited September 2012 in Artist's Corner
Hi all.

I figured it would be interesting if i took suggestions for subjects and then posted them here for you to crit. If you have a favourite superhero, pokemon, web comic character, or something for me to paint let me know! I will do my best do draw one for you.

To give you a feel for my style, here are some arts!

onslaught-final-postcard-size.jpg

city-by-the-sea-merged-big.jpg

Sugar--plumb-city.jpg

cool-monster.jpg

jetfire-refreshed.jpg

IMG_20120611_133609.jpg

And this one i did just for this fourm... (First posted in the doodles sticky thread)

rosemary-painting.jpg

Jonnydark on

• ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    A thousand figure gestures, three hundred bottles of assorted shapes, sizes, and transparencies in a variety of lighting conditions, two hundred quick and one hundred sustained contours of inanimate objects, and five hundred value studies of crumpled paper in low, middle, and high value keys.

LyricalMangoesDversedFANTOMASIrukakevindee
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    I'd suggest you step away from digital stuff for awhile, and work towards perfecting your fundamentals through traditional media. I'm also not sure, based on these pieces, how much time you spend on planning (composition, color choices, value studies, design, etc) vs. rendering. Rendering stuff can be "super hella fun, yeah!" but if you're rendering a bad design, the end result is not going to be all that great. Have a little more patience, plan things out a little more, do some test sketches before jumping into working up the entire piece.

• TokyoVTokyoV Registered User regular
    Don't have any requests, but I figured I'd take 20 seconds to say that the second and third pictures you posted are pretty sweet.

• JonnydarkJonnydark Registered User
    A thousand figure gestures, three hundred bottles of assorted shapes, sizes, and transparencies in a variety of lighting conditions, two hundred quick and one hundred sustained contours of inanimate objects, and five hundred value studies of crumpled paper in low, middle, and high value keys.

Lol, um... Rain cheque?

Thanks TokyoV

NightDragon. Solid advice. I do need to set more time aside for design, composition and colour choice. I struggle with value so much and i basically just guess colour.

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Manonvon may sound a little extreme but hes not wrong, Some utilitarian studies would probably serve you better than drawing a bunch of fan requests right now.

If nothing else, I recommend JohnK Exercises on construction and some study on the basic principals of light so that you can begin to break down anything, even complex organic forms into planes, and then subsequently use that information to correctly disperse light over a surface.

If you learn how to appropriately construct and use value, you will be over two of the major hurtles. Your drawings are suffering from undefined lightsouces and willy-nilly gradient use.

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Jonnydark wrote: »
    NightDragon. Solid advice. I do need to set more time aside for design, composition and colour choice. I struggle with value so much and i basically just guess colour.

Learning to slow down can be really hard, and I'm still learning how to do that properly. I always want to skip over the "boring" parts and get to the "fun" parts, but the more I do the preliminary work, the happier I end up being with the end result (because I've worked out a lot of the problems before even starting it!)

Color and value are also very closely intertwined. If you even take a week to read up on the subjects (what Iruka posted is a good start) you can start improving very quickly. :)

• JonnydarkJonnydark Registered User
    Manonvon may sound a little extreme but hes not wrong

I know. :( i feel really bad i can't match what he suggested.
    (because I've worked out a lot of the problems before even starting it!)

My professor said that exact thing the other day. We're spending most of the semester on the roughs and like 1 week on final render.

Man... arts hard.

• HalenHalen Registered User regular
    I agree the 2nd and 3rd pictures are really good, but you're missing attention to light. The beam from the big robot is so 2 dimensional it kind of ruins it, whereas you could have some really nice refracting light to make it look awesome. The big cityscape is cool, but it's all flat, because you haven't considered where your light is coming from and what it would be doing to all those objects.

Draw an egg.