As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's a [Gangnam Style] World, we just live in it. Now with more 'Gentleman'!

• Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    Waffen wrote: »
    Hw8e5.jpg

I wonder how North Korea feels overall about how much fun South Korea is having!

gangnam-style.jpg

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    *knock with broom hand*

Keep it down down there, dammit!

• Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    I love that Psy has made it big over here, especially since his video isn't the try-hard pandering shlock that so many other 'American style' k-pop videos are.

Don't think this will make k-pop itself that much bigger than it already was though.

I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    thepotato232thepotato232 Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    I think the satire is why it's hit so hard in the US, even if the news cycle has just latched onto it as the latest Funny Internet Thing. It's a pitch-perfect announcement to the world that you'll never be as cool as you think you are. Take just about any hip-hop / dance video made anywhere in the last few years and play it back to back with Gangnam Style, and it's literally impossible to take it seriously.

For my part, I lost it at the gangster poppin' and lockin' in the sauna. From then on I was pretty much laughing my ass off.

thepotato232 on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I think the satire is why it's hit so hard in the US, even if the news cycle has just latched onto it as the latest Funny Internet Thing. It's a pitch-perfect announcement to the world that you'll never be as cool as you think you are. Take just about any hip-hop / dance video made anywhere in the last few years and play it back to back with Gangnam Style, and it's literally impossible to take it seriously.

For my part, I lost it at the gangster poppin' and lockin' in the sauna. From then on I was pretty much laughing my ass off.

I think it scratches the same itch as LMFAO.

It's enjoyable, feel-good pop music; but it's being delivered with a wink that says, "I know you're too smart to swallow a fake narrative about how I'm a role model or sex god/dess or billionaire alpha male. I'm just a musically-talented but otherwise normal guy, making my living as an entertainer, and I'm going to signal that by making fun of people who pretend to be sex god billionaires."

It allows us to enjoy the spectacle without buying into a bullshit myth. It humanizes the entertainer, makes him feel more real, more accessible, more on our level than above us.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I just know this will be a dance in an MMO eventually.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
  • Options
    LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    Ahahah, that's pretty adorable. Makes sense it would show up in a KoreanMMO first.

sig.gif
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Isn't it pretty normal for any culture's first financial boom to be accompanied by an obsession with the appearance rather than the actual attainment and upkeep of wealth?

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Paladin wrote: »
    Isn't it pretty normal for any culture's first financial boom to be accompanied by an obsession with the appearance rather than the actual attainment and upkeep of wealth?

Isn't that basically the Hamptons, California, and much of NYC?

• Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    I really don't get it. Why would a Korean video talk about Nam? Shouldn't this be a Vietnamese video?

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Gangnam is an affluent city in South Korea, somewhat similar to Miami.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure Delta was attempting to make a funny.

• Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

No... I didn't know Gangnam was a place in Korea. It sounded like it might be a place in Vietnam. Cause Nam sounds like Vietnam.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    @Delta Assault and anybody else who doesn't know what Gangnam Style is about:

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2012/08/gangnam-style-dissected-the-subversive-message-within-south-koreas-music-video-sensation/261462/
    Gangnam is a tony Seoul neighborhood, and Park's "Gangnam Style" video lampoons its self-importance and ostentatious wealth, with Psy playing a clownish caricature of a Gangnam man. That alone makes it practically operatic compared to most K-Pop. But I spoke with two regular observers of Korean culture to find out what I was missing, and it turns out that the video is rich with subtle references that, along with the song itself, suggest a subtext with a surprisingly subversive message about class and wealth in contemporary South Korean society. That message would be awfully mild by American standards -- this is no "Born in the U.S.A." -- but South Korea is a very different place, and it's a big deal that even this gentle social satire is breaking records on Korean pop charts long dominated by cotton candy.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »

I think it scratches the same itch as LMFAO.

It's enjoyable, feel-good pop music; but it's being delivered with a wink that says, "I know you're too smart to swallow a fake narrative about how I'm a role model or sex god/dess or billionaire alpha male. I'm just a musically-talented but otherwise normal guy, making my living as an entertainer, and I'm going to signal that by making fun of people who pretend to be sex god billionaires."

It allows us to enjoy the spectacle without buying into a bullshit myth. It humanizes the entertainer, makes him feel more real, more accessible, more on our level than above us.

Pretty much this. There's something about the song, with or without the video, that just makes me happy.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Oh, this is music from South Korea? I guess that's pretty popular now.

I listen to North Korean Pop. You've probably never heard of it, it's pretty underground.

• Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    I hadn't heard the song or watched the video until yesterday. It is pretty meme worthy.

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    this got me to start reading about the korean entertainment industry
    the way their whole pop culture is manufactured is really interesting

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    this got me to start reading about the korean entertainment industry
    the way their whole pop culture is manufactured is really interesting

Oh?

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I posted this in another thread but it seems more appropriate here: Gangnam Maybe.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    My impression from browsing random opinions online is that all of their stars are entirely corporately created in that the drivers of their pop culture are massive entertainment companies. Now, sure we have that in the US as well with the big 6 and all, but it seems like there is also value placed on the indie scenes and projects of all media here that doesn't seem to exist in Korea. Our celebrities and idols for the most part aren't manufactured boybands but individual artists who made it big through a hit single or whatever and changed their music to reflect current trends to remain profitable ("selling out" as it were). In Korea it seems their popstars are groomed for public consumption from day one, in fact they have apprenticeships for those seeking to become k-pop idols. Which isn't to say that their artists lack creativity or whatever, but that their entire music industry is much more corporate driven than ours which is something I never thought possible. I'm no expert though, I'm sure there are people on this board who can provide more insight on this than I can from my 2 days of reading about this.

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I think there is a lot manufactured in US pop, but a lot more effort expended to make it seem less manufactured.

Many pop stars sound incredible because they have very talented, very non-famous (to the general populace), producers making them sound that way.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Cambiata wrote: »
    I posted this in another thread but it seems more appropriate here: Gangnam Maybe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E6J9LNe6LI

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    My impression from browsing random opinions online is that all of their stars are entirely corporately created in that the drivers of their pop culture are massive entertainment companies. Now, sure we have that in the US as well with the big 6 and all, but it seems like there is also value placed on the indie scenes and projects of all media here that doesn't seem to exist in Korea. Our celebrities and idols for the most part aren't manufactured boybands but individual artists who made it big through a hit single or whatever and changed their music to reflect current trends to remain profitable ("selling out" as it were). In Korea it seems their popstars are groomed for public consumption from day one, in fact they have apprenticeships for those seeking to become k-pop idols. Which isn't to say that their artists lack creativity or whatever, but that their entire music industry is much more corporate driven than ours which is something I never thought possible. I'm no expert though, I'm sure there are people on this board who can provide more insight on this than I can from my 2 days of reading about this.

it's not really different from Disney or Nickelodeon or basically most pop-music. Compare The Monkees to Big Time Rush and they're pretty much exactly the same.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Everytime I see this I automatically think Gundam, which makes me think this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3VGD-krGXc

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    Julius wrote: »

it's not really different from Disney or Nickelodeon or basically most pop-music. Compare The Monkees to Big Time Rush and they're pretty much exactly the same.
    In a lot of ways it's more transparent though, probably due to the culture. Like k-pop stars will constantly talk about essential being flawed and trying to perfect themselves as a product for the general populace to consume.

I want to do with you
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I understand plastic surgery is, sadly, a LOT more common in SK too.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Things I have never understood: Random english lyrics in Kpop/Jpop. Like, I get that most Koreans and Japanese have some (very) rudimentary understanding of english, but it seems really bizarre to me.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Things I have never understood: Random english lyrics in Kpop/Jpop. Like, I get that most Koreans and Japanese have some (very) rudimentary understanding of english, but it seems really bizarre to me.

We do the same thing with Spanish all the time.

• Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

I guess that's true, depending on genre. I'm having trouble thinking of examples off the top of my head that aren't rap or that song by Offspring.

• Options
    Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

I guess that's true, depending on genre. I'm having trouble thinking of examples off the top of my head that aren't rap or that song by Offspring.

"yo quiero taco bell"
    "hasta la vista, baby"
    "via... con dios"
    Sometimes things sound cooler in a foreign language.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Just remember how intensely monolingual the US is, and in countries where knowing multiple languages is common, having them seep into other things is to be expected, especially if it's the 'cool' language that so many movies, games, and other media forms comes in. Go to a music store in Korea, and you'll see a lot of the same pop hits on the shelves there too as in the US, even though a lot of the people buying them will have to read the translations in the liner notes to understand what all the lyrics are.
    Synthesis wrote: »

No... I didn't know Gangnam was a place in Korea. It sounded like it might be a place in Vietnam. Cause Nam sounds like Vietnam.
    I'm going to blow your fucking mind and tell you that China Lake has nothing at all to do with Asia, although the U.S. Navy does like
    blowing things up over there.

Also, when people talk about the Hamptons, it has nothing to do with weight.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    '
    Both countries study English as a mandatory second language, and it's very commonly spoken in Seoul.
    (Kind of like how most Americans study Spanish as a secondary.)

I assume some things just sound cooler in English(like how 'urusenai kanaaaa' sounds a lot cooler than 'I'll never forgive you!!').

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Also the catchier hooks are often in English so that Western fans can get caught by them.

Gee gee gee gee

I want to do with you
  • Options
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    '
    Both countries study English as a mandatory second language, and it's very commonly spoken in Seoul.

I assume some things just sound cooler in English(like how 'urusenai kanaaaa' sounds a lot cooler than 'I'll never forgive you!!').

There's also the fact that, in Korea, English isn't competing with French, Italian, Russian, German, Chinese, and Hebrew. As far as I can tell, second language rates aren't that much lower in the US than other countries, and the stereotype is mainly driven by there being no one second language.

• Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    '

We have the same thing here in Quebec. A lot of artists like to plug some english words or sentences in their french songs, especially rappers, who sometimes end up singing 50/50 french/english, with the language shifting midsentence.

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular

I'm given to understand that South Korea's economy is dominated by very large corporations. Samsung is responsible for 20% of their economy (equal to government spending there).
    Samsung is just the biggest of what South Koreans refer to as Chaebols, giant, family owned conglomerates that essentially control industry. It's closest rival is the Hyundai Motor Group, owner of the namesake car company and Kia Motors (and here you thought they were rivals). Combined, the top 100 Chaebols own assets equal to the central government. The four biggest, including Samsung and Hyundai Motors, own 46 percent of that total.

So there you have it: South Korea is one giant company town. Go figure.

I would download a car.
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    tumblr_m8jd6xlxe11r4bt37o1_500.png