As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

how do elves even know how to build a god damn Smartphone anyways

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    macbook

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Yeah the macbook is a better deal

that auction site must be a futureshop thing though 'cause we don't have it here in proper best buys down in the states

we can look at the list of ultra-clearance items though, which is nearly as good sometimes. my boss is buying a 60" LED smart sharp for $800 when his taxes come in.

• Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    T4CT wrote: »
    who's good with Macbook Pro specs re: the year they were made and can tell me what year these specs sound like?

Apple MacBook Pro 13.3" Laptop C2D 2.26GHz 2GB 160GB DVDRW WiFi

2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo Processor
    2 GB DDR3 Memory
    160 GB Hard Drive
    DVD/CD SuperDrive
    13.3 inch LED Display
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400M integrated graphics
    Built-in 802.11n wireless networking
    Two USB 2.0 ports (up to 480 Mbps), one FireWire 800 (up to 800 Mbps), SD card slot

cause i can get that for $440 right now

that's a 2007-2008 model

the 160 GB HDD is going to be your biggest constraint, it's really not very much space these days. Much worse if you dual boot. That graphics card will not play any games made in the past 4 years but it should handle movies etc okay. The CPU + RAM should handle your standard web browsing / email / whatever okay but it might feel laggy on JS / image heavy sites, starting iTunes, etc.

sig.png
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    K i think I'll skip it for now

Might jump this S3 though just to have one to constantly play with

I just won a 3DS for 76 bucks

Today is gonna be a pricey day I can feel it

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Thread, I'd like to get a new PC sometime soon. We can't get a crazy balls-out upgrade right now, but I'd like to get one that I can upgrade to something beefier down the line.

I'd still like to get a small form-factor PC, if that's possible. Any suggestions for builds in the $600 range? If needed I could easily transplant a video card and hard drive over.

• Options
    While we're talking pc's does anyone have a chrome book?

• Options
    I've used one pretty extensively.

The acer one is mediocre

the samsung one is great

but it's a very specialized piece of equipment. you're not going to be doing a whole lot on it except web browsing and google docing.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    I kinda want to get a samsung windows tablet (not rt).. or a lenovo yoga

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options

The acer one is mediocre

the samsung one is great

but it's a very specialized piece of equipment. you're not going to be doing a whole lot on it except web browsing and google docing.

Yeah it'd be for taking places with me and doing browser stuff

What'd you think of the weight? Did you try Netflix or anything on it?

• Options
    T4CT wrote: »

The acer one is mediocre

the samsung one is great

Yeah it'd be for taking places with me and doing browser stuff

What'd you think of the weight? Did you try Netflix or anything on it?

I didn't try netflix but youtube worked great. They're really very light too. It's essentially a netbook, but without any of the slowdown and video issues associated with traditional netbooks because of how they run a full windows operating system on shitty hardware.

It's not very flexible though. The chrome OS is really only a very little bit more than what the browser is.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Thread, I'd like to get a new PC sometime soon. We can't get a crazy balls-out upgrade right now, but I'd like to get one that I can upgrade to something beefier down the line.

I'd still like to get a small form-factor PC, if that's possible. Any suggestions for builds in the $600 range? If needed I could easily transplant a video card and hard drive over.

Is this small enough?

• Options
    Moriveth wrote: »

Is this small enough?

Yeah, that looks great!

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    In that case (literally), and if you're happy transferring over your current HDD and graphics card (to be upgraded at a later date):

Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352009 $40
    Mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157301 $90
    CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115234 $200
    RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428 $47
    PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151124 $80
    SSD : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233342 $135

That all comes out to $592.There's a $10 rebate in there somewhere, but getting them can be sketchy so I haven't bothered including it. This is a nicely upgradeable system, and should be responsive and stable with quality componentry that should last for years.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    You're a good man, Chrishallett83 Brown. I'll show that to Rachel and see what she thinks.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Hey SE help me figure out what the fuck I'm doin'

I'm building a PC for the first time. It's going ok so far but I'm hitting some snags.

So I've got a DVD drive, an hdd, and an ssd that I want to install. They're all SATA. The case (an NZXT H2) has a slot on the top of it for hooking up one drive. The data and power cables for that slot. are built into the case. For installing additional drives, all I have are 2 of these:
    r2s0SbU.jpg

Question 1: what the heck is up with this thing? On one end it's got a connector for the psu, and then it's got three different drive connectors. Can I use one of these for multiple drives or...?

Question 2: unless I'm just totally overlooking it, I don't think the case came with any data cables for additional drives. But... If it came with power connectors why wouldn't I have connectors that actually make the drives do anything? None of the drives came with any wires.

Moving on, I've got a graphics card that came with two of these kinds of wires:
    vZH5IfN.jpg

One end connects into the graphics card. The other doesn't connect into anything other than one of the wires that came with the case:
    FVZjWCa.jpg

These look like they COULD connect to the psu, but there's only half as many pins on them as there are in the pci slot on the psu. There's also a 4-pin connector on it that I can't find a place for at all. Also, there's a wire built into the case that also fits into this thing and I have no idea what it's for:

Muddying things up more, I've got another wire labeled PCI. That one fits the same slots on the graphics card as the ones that came with it, though there's a set of two extra pins separate from the others that there's no place for, but the other end of the wire has the right number of fans for the psu. If I had to guess I'd say that the goal here is to power the fans on the gpu. What connectors should I use?

Thirdly, I've got these two wires dangling from somewhere in the case and I have no idea what they're for:
    cRvGOj2.jpg

They're too short to reach the motherboard and I can't find anywhere that they would fit anyway. What the heck are they?

Any help with those questions would be appreciated a bunch

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Ok I figured out question 3, those dangling wires are for the fans on the front. Still can't find anything to connect them to though

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Aaaaaand looking at the packaging some more the sata wires came with the psu, not the case. That makes some more sense. Guess I'm going back to the store tomorrow. Fuck.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Hey SE help me figure out what the fuck I'm doin'

I'm building a PC for the first time. It's going ok so far but I'm hitting some snags.

So I've got a DVD drive, an hdd, and an ssd that I want to install. They're all SATA. The case (an NZXT H2) has a slot on the top of it for hooking up one drive. The data and power cables for that slot. are built into the case. For installing additional drives, all I have are 2 of these:
    r2s0SbU.jpg

Question 1: what the heck is up with this thing? On one end it's got a connector for the psu, and then it's got three different drive connectors. Can I use one of these for multiple drives or...?

Question 2: unless I'm just totally overlooking it, I don't think the case came with any data cables for additional drives. But... If it came with power connectors why wouldn't I have connectors that actually make the drives do anything? None of the drives came with any wires.

1. That is a standard SATA power cable. It draws power from the PSU and can power as many devices as it has SATA connectors; all the connectors receive power.

2. Unfortunately drives don't usually come with cables, nor do cases. SATA data cables would commonly come with your motherboard.
    Moving on, I've got a graphics card that came with two of these kinds of wires:
    vZH5IfN.jpg

One end connects into the graphics card. The other doesn't connect into anything other than one of the wires that came with the case:
    FVZjWCa.jpg

These look like they COULD connect to the psu, but there's only half as many pins on them as there are in the pci slot on the psu. There's also a 4-pin connector on it that I can't find a place for at all.
    Those are 2-pin molex to PCI-E converters, to allow you to power your graphics card from molex
    Also, there's a wire built into the case that also fits into this thing and I have no idea what it's for:

Muddying things up more, I've got another wire labeled PCI. That one fits the same slots on the graphics card as the ones that came with it, though there's a set of two extra pins separate from the others that there's no place for, but the other end of the wire has the right number of fans for the psu. If I had to guess I'd say that the goal here is to power the fans on the gpu. What connectors should I use?

Not sure what you're asking here
    Thirdly, I've got these two wires dangling from somewhere in the case and I have no idea what they're for:
    cRvGOj2.jpg

They're too short to reach the motherboard and I can't find anywhere that they would fit anyway. What the heck are they?

Any help with those questions would be appreciated a bunch

Those are fan cables and may have slack tied in a knot behind the cable management window.

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • Options
    The basic theory of computer assembly is you want to plug things with matching ends into each other. Following this will get you far.

sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Sorry lemme try again

I have two of this wire, which came with the gpu:
    PA1z9BW.jpg

There is a wire hanging inside the case that has the same connector as the white end of these wires.

Evidently these are meant to plug into a wire that came with the psu:
    FVZjWCa.jpg

But, I can't find a place to stick that 4 pin connector.

In addition to all of that, I have this wire that came with the psu:
    SRJ7oqL.jpg

The red side fits into the psu. Six of the pins on the black side fit into the same slot on the gpu as the ones that came with it, which presumably means it does the same thing

So I'm not really sure what wires I should be using

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Sorry lemme try again

I have two of this wire, which came with the gpu:
    PA1z9BW.jpg

There is a wire hanging inside the case that has the same connector as the white end of these wires.
    That is 4 pin molex (the white side) to PCI-E power (the side that connects to the gpu). You would use those cables if you didn't have any PCI-E power cables from your PSU but did have 4-pin molex.
    Evidently these are meant to plug into a wire that came with the psu:
    FVZjWCa.jpg

But, I can't find a place to stick that 4 pin connector.

The 4 pin connector is 4 pin molex, and could power anything that draws power from 4 pin molex (usually case lights/fans). I can't tell from the picture if it has a PSU end (which you would plug into the PSU to power the wire and any devices connected to it) or if it's just 4 pin molex the whole way.
    In addition to all of that, I have this wire that came with the psu:
    SRJ7oqL.jpg

The red side fits into the psu. Six of the pins on the black side fit into the same slot on the gpu as the ones that came with it, which presumably means it does the same thing

So I'm not really sure what wires I should be using

You want to use that one. Using the first ones would be if you don't have room on your PSU for the second one, but do have spare 4 pin molex.

sig.png
  • Options
    Great, thanks.

I had given up for the night but while I was cleaning up I found two sata cables tucked away in the back of the motherboard packaging so it's back onnnnnnn

Now I just hope I didn't accidentally damage the motherboard while I was installing it

• Options
    in conclusion, 4 pin molex

sig.png
  • Options
    Fun fact I don't know what a molex is

• Options
    Mole X-Treme

• Options
    Fun fact I don't know what a molex is

the human body often develops moles on the epidermis

from time to time in hotter climates it's been shown that these moles have accelerated cellular mutation and growth

after an extended period of time the mole will gain slight mobility and move about the immediate area it occupies until it has grown sufficiently to "pop" off your skin

the mole will then fall to the ground and move about the wilderness, small and agile, not unlike a miniature rabbit in a ball form

it will continue to move about until it finds other mobile moles to form a commune with, creating simple tools and developing a tribal atmosphere

eventually when enough small tribes of moles come together in the same rough area they form a larger community governed by a small group of elected growths

they convene in the molex to determine the fate of the omnitribe

• Options
    it's been a long night

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Huh, I still can't figure out this fan situation
    ig7I5p0.jpg

The two wires on the left connect to the front fans. The one that I'm holding up with my pinky runs to the back fan. The two that I'm holding are just dangling. All 5 wires join up at the top and I think run up to the fan speed switch on the top of the case.

I've cut all the zip ties holding them in place but those two dangling wires still can't get anywhere near the fan spots on my motherboard. And even if they could it wouldn't matter, the motherboard has pins on the fan slots, not connectors. It's almost like I need a wire with 2 female ends to connect those wires to the motherboard, but I'm pretty sure I don't have anything like that and i would think that a case would come with everything you need to hook up its fans.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Also while I'm going on there's three slots for fan connectors on the motherboard, power, chassis 1 and chassis 2. Presumably these should go to power and chassis one but I can't figure out which goes where.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    They all provide equivalent power. The 'power' one would theoretically be used to power a PSU fan. The only difference would be in anything that interacts with the fan controllers: ie, if you wanted to modify your fan settings in your BIOS / use a program to do so, you would need to specify the matching fan pin, CPU1/Chassis1/Power/whatever

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • Options
    Ok that clears that up

Now to figure out how the hell to plug them in

• Options
    you texted me telling you were assembling your computer

at 6:14 PM

it is 2:03 AM

we're gonna have a long talk about this

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Wait hold on

There was a four pin connector dangling in the case, and I used that connector o moles whatever to hook it to the power supply

And there is a fan control switch next to the power button

Is it possible that those two dangling wires are just for installing additional fans and that this case is designed to have its fans controlled completely manually?

On one hand that pounds kind of dumb to me but on the other hand I am out of ideas for how to connect the fans to the motherboard

• Options
    Well I turned the thing on and the fans are spinning so

vov

• Options
    well i'm not getting any sound on it but other than that this computer looks like it works!

hopefully the sound thing will be an easy fix

• Options
    are you using a headphone jack in the case? if so, did you connect the case hdaudio wire to the mobo?

sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    i just have an hdmi cable running from the graphics card to the tv i'm using as a monitor

thinking about it i'm assuming the problem is that the graphics card doesn't have access to the audio part of the motherboard. i just assumed i needed to use the output from it though to get the benefit from it being there. maybe once i install the cd that came with it i can fiddle with that or something. all i've done so far is install windows.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    So if I'm getting: There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive \device\harddisk3\dr4\

This is a strong sign to point towards my SD card is fucked isn't it?

Update! I now can't manually format it!

This discussion has been closed.