As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

cmd /v:on /c "set TITLE=Programming Thread & echo !TITLE!"

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yeah iterating through 8 associative arrays and then escaping on a success to finish logic, that's like the defining criteria for a goto.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Shouldn't that be "goto MurderChildren;"?

goto McStabbin;

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    return result; ?

Listen here, we don't do that in these parts.

I probably could've split it up into two methods instead of 1, but, I live dangerously.

Something makes me feel icky when returning inside a octuple for loop though.

You probably shouldn't be looping that deeply in the first place! Delve too greedily and too deep and you'll unleash the balrog!

Pft, make a class for 8 lists that are linked together, what do you think, I'm a wizard?

• EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    my solution would be to not use eight arrays for association, instead using some map style data structure.

So you're the wizard.

Yeah that'd be my solution too, unfortunately they're not really related enough to be mapped. I'm basically comparing them all to each element in each array. At least I don't think theirs an easy way to relate them. And I'm lazy and pissy because everyone wants this yesterweek so now I'm taking stupid shortcuts.

O(n²²²)

• ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Infidel wrote: »
    Saeris wrote: »
    Was http://www.commitlogsfromlastnight.com/ mentioned here yet? I haven't checked the last 20 pages of the old thread.

This in particular is fantastic.

That's some good stuff.

Quick, everyone post their last commit message.

Mine was "the magic of TABLES"

Darn it:
    No longer an assertion failure if factory calibration is missing (because you need
    the app running to actually generate the calibration data, so crashing the app is
    counterproductive!)

Nothing too exciting, sadly.

Edit:
    Phyphor wrote: »
    O(n²²²)

Looks like a person laying on their side asleep, actually.

ecco the dolphin on
    Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Action! Excitement!

commits.png

Thought you were making a UI app or something there @Echo.

What's that you are using though? Looks nice.

edited September 2012
    Tower. It's great.

http://www.git-tower.com/

Echo on
    bowen
  • Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    I am a horrible person
    #include <stdio.h>
    int collatz(int x)
    {

int n = 0;
        ASK:
            if (x == 1)
            {
                goto ANSWER;
                EVEN:
                    x /= 2;
                    goto ASK;
            }
            if (x & 1 == 1)
            {
                n++;
                goto NOTEVEN;
                ANSWER:
                    return n;
            }
            n++;
            goto EVEN;
                NOTEVEN:
                    x = (x * 3) + 1;
                    goto ASK;
    }

int main(void)
    {
        int i;
        for (i = 1; i < 100; i++)
        {
            printf("%d: %d\n", i, collatz(i));
        }
    }

** Edited for glorious battle against regex demons and stupid tabs

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    I like the oddly appropriate D: in the middle of the code there.

Edit: This time, it is you who is the echo, Echo! Bwahahaha!

ecco the dolphin on
    Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
    Got to love them D: in the code. Woo regexps!

Haha regex.

Worse than the holocaust.

Echo wrote: »
    Tower. It's great.

http://www.git-tower.com/

That's a nice program, god damn that it's not free though. Maybe I'll make my own. Or not, maybe I'll just play guild wars 2 some more.

• EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Jimmy King wrote: »
    Merged r168666 from dev2 to trunk2

My last commit was not very exciting.

ditto

"Added tag 2.0.18 for changeset 0234243d9ff2"

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Our SCMs add the bugid to the commit logs automatically so I almost never modify them.

ASimPerson on
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    On my main project it has nothing but tracking numbers. It is in a lifecycle now.

The newest project is fun since I am literally dropping code done that is known to be less than perfect with "TODO: you should actually do this" and a team is coming soon to come in behind me. I guess I'm just in there to rapidly prototype and show off "working-ish" results so that the project heads don't freak out anymore? :lol:

OrokosPA.png
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Company meeting in about 30 minutes. Talking about company related things. This is on our own time. They're providing subs.

edited September 2012
    urahonky wrote: »
    Company meeting in about 30 minutes. Talking about company related things. This is on our own time. They're providing subs.

Is it mandatory? Hope you're getting paid it if its. Food doesn't count as pay.

bowen on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »

Is it mandatory? Hope you're getting paid it if its. Food doesn't count as pay.

From the email:
    Lunch will be provided by us. It is a mandatory meeting, please plan on attending.

"Sorry I had an important appointment with my doctor, feel free to schedule mandatory time a week in advance with formal compensation" and I would have 0 fucks about saying that to their face or in an email, because fuck employers who think they control my free time. Eat my shit.

SporkAndrew
    As I get older I am seriously realizing how little I care about "mandatory" and your feelings if you're my boss. It may have something to do with being treated like a subhuman who isn't as valuable for the past 30 some odd years of my life though.

Echo
    I'm not even old and I don't even bother going to "leadership," "vision" or "town hall" meetings anymore, mandatory or not

bowen
    I don't even know why people think food is proper compensation.

Great you saved me $5, where's the other $25 (adjust accordingly) for my hour?

• Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    I'm not even old and I don't even bother going to "leadership," "vision" or "town hall" meetings anymore, mandatory or not
    I go when they're during work hours and they provide food. Fortunately my current employer hasn't gotten asshole-ish enough to stop providing food while scheduling that stuff during work hours.

The older I get (and I'm not old), the more I start seriously thinking about starting my own company, though. I'm not sure I want the responsibility or risk, but it sure would be nice to be able to stop working for dickheads who are just looking to work me into the ground and then let me go with no warning as soon as they think they can do without me.

I go when they're during work hours and they provide food. Fortunately my current employer hasn't gotten asshole-ish enough to stop providing food while scheduling that stuff during work hours.

The older I get (and I'm not old), the more I start seriously thinking about starting my own company, though. I'm not sure I want the responsibility or risk, but it sure would be nice to be able to stop working for dickheads who are just looking to work me into the ground and then let me go with no warning as soon as they think they can do without me.

I contemplated this. Thing is I can do the work. The problem is finding enough of it, or people who will pay for it. Even part time? I have found 0 takers, most likely because price wise, it's cheaper to flounder for years with a terrible product you paid $100 for some Middle Eastern to whip up for you who bid the lowest on your freelance auction thing.

bowen wrote: »

I contemplated this. Thing is I can do the work. The problem is finding enough of it, or people who will pay for it. Even part time? I have found 0 takers, most likely because price wise, it's cheaper to flounder for years with a terrible product you paid $100 for some Middle Eastern to whip up for you who bid the lowest on your freelance auction thing.

Yeah, I'm thinking more along the lines of producing an actual product/platform to be used rather than freelance development or starting a dev/consulting firm. I've got a few ideas rolling around in my head, I just have no idea how to monetize a couple of them, and I'm not sure I actually want to run any of them as a business. Once the core platform is built and working, I don't want to become a marketing/sales/whatever guy selling my product and supporting customers, I want to keep building the platforms and I just don't know that there will be much to build or time to do it.

Right now my plan is to build prototypes in my spare time and see how I feel about them. If I still feel like it may be worthwhile, then work with some potential customers to get their feedback, see if they think it would be useful or could be made into something useful, and take it from there. I'd try to keep stuff mostly dead simple (hence looking at Heroku a bit more yesterday) to minimize the amount of time I have to spend running around trying to do 20 jobs so that I could hopefully continue on with school and my full time job until there was enough money coming in to go all out with it.

First I have to find free time to build the prototypes though.

• an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    My other half is self employed. I enjoy leaving the office behind when I leave the office.

@Jimmy King, what hosts have you liked for Python and Django hosting? I'm looking to move a site in the new year and it would be nice to remove any traces of PHP from it.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
    The PADev linode, right? :-P

an_alt wrote: »
    My other half is self employed. I enjoy leaving the office behind when I leave the office.

@Jimmy King, what hosts have you liked for Python and Django hosting? I'm looking to move a site in the new year and it would be nice to remove any traces of PHP from it.
    I actually enjoy doing server admin stuff as well, fiddling with and tuning db's, trying to find lighter weight ways to run stuff, etc. so I've got my stuff on Rackspace cloud servers currently. Overall I'm really happy with it. Unlike AWS, they have official, supported Debian images which is a big plus for me. I love being able to just fire up a cheap couple cents per hour VM to test something crazy real quick and then kill it when I want to try something questionable or ridiculous or just don't want it affect my main server.

Before Rackspace I had a dedicated server at Sago Networks. They also weren't bad, but I didn't need a physical server and it cost 3x as much as I'm paying for Rackspace for a bunch of extra processing power and disk space that I didn't need.

If you don't want to manage your own server/vm, I would definitely recommend the PADev linode, though. I haven't used it, but if I was looking for inexpensive hosting, that'd be the first place I'd start since everyone involved with it is fucking awesome.

Heroku looks cool and a lot of people like it, but it can get expensive quick. You get postgres, celery and rabbitmq (really excellent tools for asynchronous background stuff with Django), and a bunch of other useful stuff with the click of a button (and small monthly charge) that you don't have to manage and maintain yourself. A place I interviewed with recently mentioned being unhappy with Heroku because it had been somewhat unstable lately, though.

• NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I'm so happy I found a free wireframing tool. I just can't fiddle with visual design in PS efficiently enough.

• InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Yeah, it totally depends on what you need.

PAdev is mainly about (a) this isn't something huge, I just want to get something different up and running and (b) I don't want to/can't administer Linux server all on my own.

Well, and (c) CHEAP.

The nice thing is that it is a very standard VPS setup, so if you outgrow it you can move immediately to a dedicated linode of your own, or with a little bit of transition move to almost any Linux VPS. You aren't relying on anything special or cloud or such, you know what you get running will work anywhere.

And if you need a dedicated linode, I actually have offered to put it under the PAdev umbrella and keep it managed by myself. You just pay the bills on top. ($5/mo for a server admin is hella cheap. :))

OrokosPA.png
    Yeah it sure is.

This discussion has been closed.