As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

cmd /v:on /c "set TITLE=Programming Thread & echo !TITLE!"

• PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    For just pennies a day you too can get your own server admin!

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Communist.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Letting this whole meeting thing bother me more than it should.

It's a perfectly valid reason to be bothered. You're basically being told what you can and can't do on your free time, and then not getting paid for what is, essentially, overtime.

I'd probably jet an hour early that day and call it even.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    My monthly company staff meetings I don't bill out full time for, just half an hour.

But there is an open bar and dinner soooooooo... :)

OrokosPA.png
    Infidel wrote: »
    My monthly company staff meetings I don't bill out full time for, just half an hour.

That seems like semi-fair compensation. Half hour of time made up with free food and booze. Which is not a sub sandwich from a shitty shop at $2 a head.

• iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    Infidel wrote: »

How big is this company, and how is it not bankrupt? 'Cause my experience with putting an open-bar in front of a group of programmers is that the open bar becomes a lot of open, empty bottles real quick.

• an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    That might not be a bad idea. Is it much of a pain pointing a domain at a PADev account?

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    late to the posting last commits party, but "could you please integrate it this time."
    Also, the way we use SVN is bad. Whoever set it up should be ashamed.

We all check out the trunk and make commits directly to the to the trunk. Then we email the QA guys who don't even work for us to tell them which files to take out of the trunk to place on the release build. Then they email the people we work for's QA team to tell them to verify the changes. Then we get an accept or reject with maybe a 4 word description of what failed or why they're happy/unhappy with the results. The best part is hoping no one else committed a broken version of whatever we committed because QA would then get a botched build.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    late to the posting last commits party, but "could you please integrate it this time."

We all check out the trunk and make commits directly to the to the trunk. Then we email the QA guys who don't even work for us to tell them which files to take out of the trunk to place on the release build. Then they email the people we work for's QA team to tell them to verify the changes. Then we get an accept or reject with maybe a 4 word description of what failed or why they're happy/unhappy with the results. The best part is hoping no one else committed a broken version of whatever we committed because QA would then get a botched build.

haha what

bowen
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    an_alt wrote: »
    That might not be a bad idea. Is it much of a pain pointing a domain at a PADev account?

It's using the usual apache vhost stuff, so you could probably set up a vhost for <your domain here>

That is definitely more terrible than what I am doing, I'll say.

• EtheaEthea Registered User regular

That sounds somebody doesn't want version control at the company and made that process on purpose.
    Or some manager heard about the new buzz word 'version control' and decided to take matters into his/her own hands.

• Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    At my old job, when I first started, the process was
    1) Write everything and test it and don't ever commit
    2) Commit to cvs (yeah...) HEAD along with other people who may be editing the same file
    3) Release and pray

Eventually the company moved on at least to using feature branches so that you could commit your code before it was complete and thought to be be 100% working. Then when it was down to only me as a developer I moved it all over to git and then quit a few months later.

Because this talk has really made me want to get GIT working with my code.

Can you duders suggest a good way to get myself a portable GIT dev? Should I set up a folder on my computer, point dropbox too it, then git from there? Then when I get home, pull down changes, and vice versa?

• Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    huh. Never thought to try that. I suspect it would work. I just use github for public stuff and bitbucket for not public stuff. Maybe someday I'll stop being a leech and pay for github.

Yeah I mostly don't want this stuff on the public sphere if I can help it. I think I'd rather bitbucket now that I think about it.

But for some reason I don't really trust the privateness of it over dropbox.

• Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    siiiigh, finished my dev / test cases and now waiting around for 2 hours until the end of the day / start of the weekend. Love to get a few more hours of Borderlands 2 in. Did I mention I work from home and am about 30 ft from PS3.

• Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Gilbert0 wrote: »
    siiiigh, finished my dev / test cases and now waiting around for 2 hours until the end of the day / start of the weekend. Love to get a few more hours of Borderlands 2 in. Did I mention I work from home and am about 30 ft from PS3.

I cannot do this. I am learning that I'm far to easily distracted to work from home, at least without a dedicated work area / computer.

I had the same problem with homework and school. I'd either do it at school or go to a library, because, yeh, them games.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
    I worry that using dropbox + git will cause some serious issues if you ever happen to push to the same repo from different machines before dropbox has fully synced. If you never push to a repo held inside a dropbox folder you should be fine, instead allow dropbox sync to do the 'push'

• Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    This is only the end of my second week of doing it. It's got some pluses and minuses. Luckily I do have my own little office area in my apartment. No TV, nothing "Fun" in here with me.

With not having a phone and my primary response being email / chat messenger, I have to be online (especially when messenger lets you know when the mouse/keyboard is idle for 5 min). I had worked my way up to manager and then decided to move 1200 km (800 miles) away. Luckily my boss worked in the work from home thing but I get a LOT of questions because everyone knows who I am.

Ethea wrote: »
    I worry that using dropbox + git will cause some serious issues if you ever happen to push to the same repo from different machines before dropbox has fully synced. If you never push to a repo held inside a dropbox folder you should be fine, instead allow dropbox sync to do the 'push'

Solo dev, so should never be a problem.

What would you recommend @ethea?

bowen wrote: »
    Ethea wrote: »

Solo dev, so should never be a problem.

What would you recommend @ethea?

If you are a solo dev and never commit from two machines at the same time you can use all the git commands.

an_alt wrote: »

Trivial, just get me to setup the vhost and you update your DNS to the IP I give ya.

OrokosPA.png
  • an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    Fantastic. I think I'll be in touch when I get through with dealing with CIRA.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Ho hum, my Homebrew installation broke somehow and I need to upgrade XCode to 4.5 and first I need to uninstall 4.1.

Uninstaller has been chewing for 20 minutes now. I think I'll just go read for a bit.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Why would you put a git repo on dropbox and not just drab a github account, or if you need it to be private, be a man and use Mercurial and grab a bitbucket account?

(Mercurial is for real men, only poopyhead neener booboos who like the way Linus' feet smell use git)

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    If I cared about the personalities of the people who made my software I would never use software.

Infidel
    Normally I don't care, then I saw him give a talk about Git and spend the entire time basically insulting everyone in the crowd and implying how smart he was. I decided I would never use Git, short of being forced to at work, for that reason.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I was going to move my stuff over to git as that seemed to be the way things were moving but I got lazy and didn't.

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    This is probably the talk that GnomeTank is complaining about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XpnKHJAok8

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • zeenyzeeny Registered User regular

You are revolutionizing programming!

GnomeTank wrote: »
    Normally I don't care, then I saw him give a talk about Git and spend the entire time basically insulting everyone in the crowd and implying how smart he was. I decided I would never use Git, short of being forced to at work, for that reason.

People at my workplace believe that this is an awesome talk and oh my god how can you not use git after seeing it . Not making it up.

I use private git repos on bitbucket for small things ever since they started allowing it, but projects of actual size sit on a linode with svn. I've meant to clean them up and post them as public for a while...but that's like the definition of not having fun with programming.

My most used zsh alias by far:
    alias gcd='cd $(git rev-parse --show-toplevel)'

Goes to the top-level directory of the git repo you're currently in.

Echo wrote: »
    My most used zsh alias by far:
    alias gcd='cd $(git rev-parse --show-toplevel)'

Goes to the top-level directory of the git repo you're currently in.

Nice alias. If I have to work again with a project that has lots of submodules I will add this to my collection.

edited September 2012
    zeeny wrote: »
    GnomeTank wrote: »

People at my workplace believe that this is an awesome talk and oh my god how can you not use git after seeing it . Not making it up.

People at your workplace like to be talked down to by a guy who hasn't really done anything interesting or new in 15 years? And even what he did do was just rip off Minix and get a bunch of other really smart people to hack at his kernel, namely Alan Cox. Even Git is just BitKeeper essentially. Someone else's idea that he just re-implemented.

(Full disclosure, I am a FreeBSD guy, I think System V and it's derivatives are mostly a mess, and I think Linux doesn't deserve it's place as the 'UNIX of choice').

But here's some fun quotes from that talk for folks!

"While I'm speaking, if you disagree with me, you're dumb and ugly"
    "If you use CVS, you shouldn't be here, you should be in a mental institution"
    "I think SCM is evil"

The guy just isn't that smart. He's an arrogant ass who is held up on the shoulders of others.

GnomeTank on
    bowen
    People at my workplace are impressionable 22-25 year old who believe they are adults. Don't judge.

That sounds more like something from a guy who is incapable of sounding funny in front of an audience thinking he's sounding funny in front of an audience.

zeeny wrote: »
    People at my workplace are impressionable 22-25 year old who believe they are adults. Don't judge.

I am kinda down with my current client.

I am 31 and "the young guy." :rotate: Can't say I really miss the kids.

OrokosPA.png
    Jealous.

This discussion has been closed.