As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

cmd /v:on /c "set TITLE=Programming Thread & echo !TITLE!"

• BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    That sounds more like something from a guy who is incapable of sounding funny in front of an audience thinking he's sounding funny in front of an audience.
    It doesn't sound nearly as bad in context:
    You can disagree with me as much as you want, but during this talk, by definition, anybody who disagrees is stupid and ugly, so keep that in mind. When I am done speaking, you can go on with your lives. Right now, yes, I have strong opinions, and CVS users, if you actually like using CVS, you shouldn't be here. You should be in some mental institution, somewhere else.
    and
    One piece of background information is I really am not a SCM person. I have never been very interested in revision control, I thought it was evil, until I met BitKeeper, I actually credit that to some degree for why git is so much better than everything else, it is because my brain did not rot from years and years of thinking CVS did something sane.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    zeeny wrote: »
    Normally I don't care, then I saw him give a talk about Git and spend the entire time basically insulting everyone in the crowd and implying how smart he was. I decided I would never use Git, short of being forced to at work, for that reason.

People at my workplace believe that this is an awesome talk and oh my god how can you not use git after seeing it . Not making it up.

People at your workplace like to be talked down to by a guy who hasn't really done anything interesting or new in 15 years? And even what he did do was just rip off Minix and get a bunch of other really smart people to hack at his kernel, namely Alan Cox. Even Git is just BitKeeper essentially. Someone else's idea that he just re-implemented.

The guy just isn't that smart. He's an arrogant ass who is held up on the shoulders of others.

He didn't rip off Minix. Linux takes the 180 degree opposite direction of operating system design to MINIX whilst still being UNIX. One is microkernel the other is monolithic - you couldn't get more different. You don't have to like Linus (but how could you not? He learnt to program on a Sinclair QL, that's boss) but to say Linux is a rip off is crazy talk.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
    ASimPerson
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Why would you put a git repo on dropbox and not just drab a github account, or if you need it to be private, be a man and use Mercurial and grab a bitbucket account?

(Mercurial is for real men, only poopyhead neener booboos who like the way Linus' feet smell use git)

BB apparently does git now as well.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Come into work and my project manager's desk is empty. I love when they don't tell us these things.

Ah people are jumping ship. I hope you've been looking.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha. That's the guy who told you you could do overtime, isn't it, honky?

Things are goin' great at your company! As soon as your entirely-OS-agnostic Java project , and your "we're catching virii at the HDD-driver-level" project take off they'll be in better shape, I'm sure. They'll be able to afford to hire that PM back, and I'm sure you'll be able to afford more than $20 for a monitor stand.

iTunesIsEvil on
    bowen
    Oh yeah forgot about the OT nonsense.

edited September 2012
    I gotta say honky's done some good work on that for having 0 background or skills in it. That OS agnostic thing is just a waste of time though.

bowen on
    Yeah it was the guy who thought OT was approved but apparently it wasn't. He was pretty well ready to quit a while ago but I think everything started piling up on him the past few weeks. It sucks too because he was an awesome manager... And we used to randomly quote the Simpsons to each other via IM. I think this might be the straw that breaks the camel's back in the HW team. We'll see, but I've heard a few people mention that they are finally going to start looking for new jobs.

You guys have a much higher tolerance for bullshit than I do.

• Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    I gotta say honky's done some good work on that for having 0 background or skills in it. That OS agnostic thing is just a waste of time though.
    This is very true. For awhile after seeing some of the things he's been doing I thought I had misunderstood and he actually had way more experience than I initially thought. I've been doing this shit for years and he's solving problems and doing things that I'm not sure I could.

Hah, thanks. A lot of it was because you guys were here to help so I appreciate it.

Mostly memory stuff, so if you understand the whole "this is how memory works" it'd be pretty easy to get into it. Fuck developing it from scratch, you'd be using some level of API because that would just be a nightmare.

Even I have a vague idea of what he's doing, and I still would not want to do it and probably don't have the skills. And I gotta think people like Infidel, Ecco, and phyphor who are more knowledgeable would still opt for my position of API or go pound sand bitches.

On the plus side: They want us to take the Java Web Component Certification Exam and they're willing to pay us $2000 (bonus) for passing it between now and Christmas.

Not even worth it.

Not even worth it.

I agree... However I need the money to pay for the WiiU and our credit card bill. So I'm going to push through it. Supposedly it's easier than Java too, so that's a plus.

Searched "AMI BIOS source code" on Google, Google responds: "The word "AMI" has been filtered from the search because Google SafeSearch is active." What the hell does AMI stand for other than "American Megatrends Inc"?

• EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    On the plus side: They want us to take the Java Web Component Certification Exam and they're willing to pay us $2000 (bonus) for passing it between now and Christmas.

Screw standard christmas bonuses this year! Instead employees must pass a test for the money, that will reduce the amount we have to give out.

Ethea wrote: »

Screw standard christmas bonuses this year! Instead employees must pass a test for the money, that will reduce the amount we have to give out.

Hmm... This better not be a replacement for our Christmas bonus... Last year I was here for about 2 months and got $700.

ami is slang for American in German IIRC. Maybe that's what they're filtering?

• EndEnd Registered User regular
    Searched "AMI BIOS source code" on Google, Google responds: "The word "AMI" has been filtered from the search because Google SafeSearch is active." What the hell does AMI stand for other than "American Megatrends Inc"?

acute myocardial infarction of course

(I don't know why google would be filtering it either.)

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    I wish I worked somewhere that did Christmas bonuses :(

• GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular

It is, but it's just shortened, not derogatory.

They just told us the official story. I don't want to post it but let's just say it's seems fishy. :P

• EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    Grobian wrote: »

I don't know about that, I would be insulted to be called an american :p

It probably is. I can probably hazard a guess with it having to do with a "misalignment of values." Which is a fancy way of saying they were called on their shit and they fired him.

Ethea wrote: »
    Grobian wrote: »

I don't know about that, I would be insulted to be called an american :p

Hey you're on this continent with the rest of us. Deal with it tough guy!

• agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    They just told us the official story. I don't want to post it but let's just say it's seems fishy. :P

He won the 15 dollar gas card for having the cleanest desk and is out celebrating/using it?

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
    bowen
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular

Now you have to share it.

• Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Watching the trials and tribulations of urahonky's "employment" is this thread's official spectator sport.

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
    I gotta say I hope @urahonky tells us.

I know I'm a dick, but there's too much digital trail for people to find out who I am and where I work. I'd rather not have my CEO find out how much I bitch about my job. :P

@bowen you're incorrect though. He did quit.

edited September 2012
    I doubt it, don't name names or companies, I doubt he's reading your penny-arcade forum tribulations.

If he is, okay, then maybe he'd put two and two together and realize shit sucks and improve it. (lol)

bowen on
    Alright fine... Since I basically cock blocked you guys I'll tell ya.

They said that he was joining a band and that band is going on tour. Additionally they didn't email everybody because they didn't want everyone to wonder what they did to him.

lY470.jpg

• agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    I think my story is more believable.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
    urahonkybowen
  • Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    @urahonky you're right, that sounds made up, otherwise it's a public party and well wishing to the gentlemen.

i know this has been joked about a bunch ehre, but allow me to be blunt:

FIND ANOTHER JOB

• zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    YOU GUYS ARE ASSHOLES. WHAT IF THE BAND IS GOOD, HUH? WHAT THEN?

PS: Is it a world tour?

zeeny on
This discussion has been closed.