As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

cmd /v:on /c "set TITLE=Programming Thread & echo !TITLE!"

• Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    We have a client site that uses our software and their own custom built platform that is built on a Java web ui.

This morning they start complaining that our software broke theirs. We spend some time checking and find out their network ops junior guy went through and disabled Java on everything from the desktops and browsers out to the proxies.

We just laughed when we heard that. At least our stuff still worked.

Somehow I can't blame a guy running around disabling Java everywhere. He's like Santa Clause, or an exorcist.

Yeah, if they auto updated to JAVA 7, I can understand that. The same thing happened here, all my web APIs just stopped working. I spent 4hrs checking all my proxys and and API keys. I submitted a ticket and it turned out any java request is refused at our firewall UNLESS it is specifically jdk 1.6.35 or something. That's fine, there's security issues I get it, but can you fucking tell people????

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Ledneh wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    Ledneh wrote: »
    Dear Guys Who Created Lua,
    % /bin/lua
    > foo = {}
    > if foo == 1 or foo == "something that isn't a table god damnit you should crash" then
    >> print "wha?"
    >> else
    >> print "barf"
    >> end
    barf
    >

Fuck you.

Sincerely,
    Ledneh

PS. I want my two and a bit hours back. I accept money and gold bullion.

I may be missing something but I would expect that to print barf.

I mean... it seems obvious at a glance what you're looking for is a null test, so I'd expect something like:
    foo ~= nil

That 1 confuses me, that seems out of place. Seems like that was tacked on because lua at one point returned a 1 because someone initialized a dynamic variable to that to test output and it has survived ever since (why are you checking if it's both an integer and a table?)

I'm probably just misreading this because I'm tired, though.

I ginned that code up to show the part about dynamic languages that I hate. Spent two hours debugging a large script to find that someone typed something like

if data_valid==1 then

instead of

if data_valid[idx] == 1 then

:P

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    People who just swallow exceptions need shot in the dick. Fucking fuckers.

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
  • Options
    It's funny to think that if he had been just a slightly bit more cautious and set up an SSH server at his home for them to log into he could've used GIT to push it to the master server each day.

And then no one would've known. At all.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    It's funny to think that if he had been just a slightly bit more cautious and set up an SSH server at his home for them to log into he could've used GIT to push it to the master server each day.

I was thinking the same thing when I came across that story this morning.

Also I was wondering how much work it was to manage the Chinese firm he used. He must already have discrete tasks with fully fleshed out requirements given to him for his job. Personally myself working for a small company with a small development team the coding is generally the easiest part of the job... It's the figuring out what needs to be done and what the actual requirements are that is the difficult part.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    He could've even batched it so there'd be no intervention from him at all.

Not that I'd ever considered doing something like this!

• Options
    Incindium wrote: »

I was thinking the same thing when I came across that story this morning.

Also I was wondering how much work it was to manage the Chinese firm he used. He must already have discrete tasks with fully fleshed out requirements given to him for his job. Personally myself working for a small company with a small development team the coding is generally the easiest part of the job... It's the figuring out what needs to be done and what the actual requirements are that is the difficult part.

Yeah. They make it sound like he wasn't doing his job at all, but this would require a lot of work to manage still.

You have to at the very least participate in the team stuff like design, breakdowns, requirements, status updates, etc. etc. You have to be a go-between for your team and this outsourced developer. That is not a trivial task at all.

So basically, you remove the coding part of my job, and it costs me $50k and a bunch of headaches? No thanks.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Yeah. The only upside I can see is it appears they generate bonuses based off contribution. Looks like that was a major reason for the decision.

Plus fixing shitty code form overseas devs is terrible. Most of the time it's easier to redo than refactor.

• Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    The key part of the story is that he was doing this at multiple companies as a tele-worker. So he was able to spend all day doing management / team tasks and farmed out the coding to other people.

• Options
    Ethea wrote: »
    The key part of the story is that he was doing this at multiple companies as a tele-worker. So he was able to spend all day doing management / team tasks and farmed out the coding to other people.

That uhh seems to contradict the story I read.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    I read one that said he was a contractor doing this, I'm not sure who to believe!

Sounds like a marketing campaign from Verizon's business solution stuff now!

• Options
    Round 1 phone interview done with a pretty awesome sounding RoR and Sencha Touch shop. Went really well and the place sounds totally awesome so far. It's also the first place that didn't immediately start trying to talk me down when I named my price. I'll probably have a more technical interview or some questions to answer via e-mail in the next couple of days.

• Options
    Infidel wrote: »

That uhh seems to contradict the story I read.

The register article states they suspect he was running this out-sourcing scam at multiple companies.

• Options
    Hmm the hacker news discussion is arguing that the whole thing is fake, see here http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=5066813

• Options
    Hmm the hacker news discussion is arguing that the whole thing is fake, see here http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=5066813

That whole Verizon Enterprise Security Solutions thing seemed to com completely form nowhere. Hence my skepticism!

• Options
    KolosusKolosus Registered User regular
    He could've even batched it so there'd be no intervention from him at all.

Not that I'd ever considered doing something like this!

My first thought also was, this guy wasn't doing his outsourcing very well.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    to me that sounds fake

• Options
    The more I seriously think about it the more I believe it is a fake piece of news.

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Also I swear I'd read/heard that story before although the details this time are bit different.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    Ha! They called me mad! MAD!

But would a madman port an embedded app over to the PC, and redirect ioctl calls over a network to a true embedded device, and have it execute the calls there?

BWAHAHA

The OS and hardware abstraction layers are now cleaner, I tell you!

HAHAHAHAHA

Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
  • Options
    The multiple companies "embellishment" definitely makes it a lot less believable. Like I said, that wasn't even part or compatible with the story I read, which isn't really lending much veracity to the entire thing whatever it is.

As I mentioned, anyone who has a job doing this (like most of us here) know that you can't outsource 100% of your day. "Firing off an email at the end of the day" is not how things work.

If it's an employee that isn't the strongest coder but has great management and deception skills, then the outsourcing of development could potentially work. Definitely not for me or most people, I think, why would I want to pay someone else to do all the coding so that I can deal with 100% of the bullshit? :rotate:

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Ha! They called me mad! MAD!

But would a madman port an embedded app over to the PC, and redirect ioctl calls over a network to a true embedded device, and have it execute the calls there?

BWAHAHA

The OS and hardware abstraction layers are now cleaner, I tell you!

HAHAHAHAHA

This was basically my senior design project.

• Options
    Why did Unix ever add support for spaces in the path when almost no tools work when given those paths. GAAAAAH I spend more time making,hacking,patching build systems to work with spaces in path than any other issue.

• Options
    Delmain wrote: »
    This was basically my senior design project.

Code refactoring and keeping abstraction layers intact has never felt so good.
    Infidel wrote: »
    As I mentioned, anyone who has a job doing this (like most of us here) know that you can't outsource 100% of your day. "Firing off an email at the end of the day" is not how things work.

Yeah, pretty much this.

Too many warning bells.

Lovely as a story, but does not seem to be true.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Why did Unix ever add support for spaces in the path when almost no tools work when given those paths. GAAAAAH I spend more time making,hacking,patching build systems to work with spaces in path than any other issue.

Spaces, the natural enemy of CLIs

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Phyphor wrote: »

I\ have\ no\ idea\ what\ you\'re\ talking\ about.

• Options
    'Those backslashes require too many extra characters'

• Options
    Echo wrote: »

I\\ have\\ no\\ idea\\ what\\ you\\\'re\\ talking\\ about.

• Options

autotools and python build system just hilariously give up trying to work with spaces in path. Which makes writing our build tools even harder as we have to work around those problems since people expect our system to work with spaces.

• Options
    edited January 2013

I\\ have\\ no\\ idea\\ what\\ you\\\'re\\ talking\\ about.
    This reminds me of a web app I wrote many years ago, although it was forward slashes. I had to take a file path in js, pass it through CGI where it actually got passed to sh first, then an sh script fired up a Tcl interpreter (Don't ask why a proper cgi module wasn't being used... I inherited the system), which then opened the file. There were so many fucking forward slashes because they had to be escaped through each level there.

Jimmy King on
  • Options

I\\\\ have\\\\ no\\\\ idea\\\\ what\\\\ you\\\\'re\\\\ talking\\\\ about.

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular

I\\\\\\\\ have\\\\\\\\ no\\\\\\\\ idea\\\\\\\\ what\\\\\\\\ you\\\\\\\\'re\\\\\\\\ talking\\\\\\\\ about.

Weird... I wonder why they...
    Well, I guess they probably did it for a reason. Better keep them. They need to be encoded though.

• Options
    If you think escaping spaces work you haven't trying parse the string to exec command which uses find or xargs both which ignore the escaping of spaces unless you use special flags.

• Options
    I have no idea what people's boner is for spaces in a path name is anyways.

• Options
    Rend wrote: »

# Weird... I wonder why they...
    # Well, I guess they probably did it for a reason. Better keep them. They need to be encoded though.
    # - Rend

QUOTE_STRING="I\\\\\\\\ have\\\\\\\\ no\\\\\\\\ idea\\\\\\\\ what\\\\\\\\ you\\\\\\\\'re\\\\\\\\ talking\\\\\\\\ about."

ENCODE_STRING=`encode $QUOTE_STRING`

• Options
    I have no idea what people's boner is for spaces in a path name is anyways.

It looks nicer than having _ everywhere? And for non-programmers, they won't understand why they won't play nice with most things

• Options
    Don't make me burn this thread down.

I'm crazy, I'll do it.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular

I\\\\\\\\ have\\\\\\\\ no\\\\\\\\ idea\\\\\\\\ what\\\\\\\\ you\\\\\\\\'re\\\\\\\\ talking\\\\\\\\ about.

You beat me to this joke.

I'm jealous.

• Options
    Rend wrote: »

Weird... I wonder why they...
    Well, I guess they probably did it for a reason. Better keep them. They need to be encoded though.

Ugh someone handed off a path like that to me once. Apparently it was a bug in one of his functions that it would add extra \ every iteration of checking a path.

This discussion has been closed.