As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

cmd /v:on /c "set TITLE=Programming Thread & echo !TITLE!"

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I really wish there was a Boost.Python style binding package for Ruby...unfortunately I don't have the time to even attempt writing it. I am sort of forced to use Python in this new project I took on, because the native code being C++ and the glue being able to inherit from C++ classes is kind of a requested design feature.

Oh well, Python it is.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    I have no idea what people's boner is for spaces in a path name is anyways.

Microsoft should have been murdered for "C:\Documents and Settings\".

• Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    I have no idea what people's boner is for spaces in a path name is anyways.

Microsoft should have been murdered for "C:\Documents and Settings\".

Gotta love
    cd \Docume~1

• Options
    That had nothing to do with spaces though, that was legacy compatibility with DOS 8.3 file names. We have to go quite a bit farther back in time than "C:\Documents and Settings" to murder the cause of "Docume~1".

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    I think he just meant that you "gotta love" that you could get away with just typing the DOS8.3 name instead of having to type the whole monster.

Don't wanna put words in his mouth though...

• Options
    I think he just meant that you "gotta love" that you could get away with just typing the DOS8.3 name instead of having to type the whole monster.

Don't wanna put words in his mouth though...

It was a little bit of both.

• Options
    SaerisSaeris Borb Enthusiast flapflapflapflapRegistered User regular
    The filesystem should have been exclusively for programs, not end users. Let individual programs handle aliasing their own files to a "pretty" name with spaces and capitalization. In the few cases where a user needs to grab data outside of the program's context, the OS should step in and handle it with a likewise pretty name in a singular, flat, shared location for abstract bundles of data. At no point in time should the low level resource name/path ever be shown to an ordinary user.

Exposing the filesystem to users was a terrible mistake that we will continue paying for until the end of time.

borb_sig.png
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Saeris wrote: »
    Exposing the filesystem to users was a terrible mistake that we will continue paying for until the end of time.

This is bad and you should feel bad.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

Concur. The real mistake we made was when we developed computers, there should've been an ASCII code and keyboard button for "command space" or something which was used to separate commands out logically.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    They dropped Document and Settings in windows7.

c:\users\(blah) now.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    They dropped Document and Settings in windows7.

c:\users\(blah) now.

Right. Which was a great move. Because "Documents and Settings" was fucking horrible, and they should have felt horrible.

• Options
    I'm just waiting for the day by default they use that "system" partition to set up a read only "this is shit the basic operating system needs to run and repair itself" thing, and prevent access to it even to administrator.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I really wish there was a Boost.Python style binding package for Ruby...unfortunately I don't have the time to even attempt writing it. I am sort of forced to use Python in this new project I took on, because the native code being C++ and the glue being able to inherit from C++ classes is kind of a requested design feature.

Hooray! Python it is.
    There, much better.

• Options
    http://luvit.io/

Hmm.

Wonder if this means you could port some async libraries from lua and get them working?

• Options
    Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    Too many projects going on all waiting for answers from other people.

• Options
    SaerisSaeris Borb Enthusiast flapflapflapflapRegistered User regular

Concur. The real mistake we made was when we developed computers, there should've been an ASCII code and keyboard button for "command space" or something which was used to separate commands out logically.

I like this approach as well.

But I'm curious to know what utility is granted to end users by forcing them to deal with a hierarchical tree of effectively limitless depth and potential recursion. Developers should have the necessary access, but an operating system ought to be able to organize a typical user's data in a much more accessible form.

borb_sig.png
  • Options
    http://www.asciitable.com/

There's a whole slew of things one could've used. Tab even.

• Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular

I like this approach as well.

But I'm curious to know what utility is granted to end users by forcing them to deal with a hierarchical tree of effectively limitless depth and potential recursion. Developers should have the necessary access, but an operating system ought to be able to organize a typical user's data in a much more accessible form.

The opposite question is how does something like a code editor express what it can open. It can open project files, folders, any single file be it binary or text. What list would the user get? I might want to open a system installed header to inspect an implementation.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    The ubiquitous use of Dropbox on iOS devices shows that users really, really want a file system.

Basically anyone using a computer for any kind of content creation will want access to the raw file system because they will almost invariably want to work on a file, or collection of files, with multiple programs.

EDIT: And here's an example of doing it wrong http://www.macworld.com/article/1168122/when_documents_in_the_cloud_arent.html

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Anyone in here ever set up Team Foundation Server to do integration builds of Java code via Ant? I've got an idea on how to set it up but any pointers would be helpful.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    Jimmy King wrote: »

Hooray! Python it is.
    There, much better.

Except that Python is objectively worse than Ruby in some key areas (namely meta programming) that I like to take advantage of. And significant white space is one of the worst programming ideas ever. Also "magic methods" with __ ___ around them. Also terrible and bad to look at.

Unfortunately, it's the only object oriented scripting language that has a readily available, complete, C++ binding that supports virtual function calls across the boundary.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Does anyone know if glassfish and Windows Server 2012 play nicely together? I cannot, CANNOT get this server to deploy. Works fine on my PC... And I follow the exact same steps for the Server and it will not install.

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    Does anyone know if glassfish and Windows Server 2012 play nicely together? I cannot, CANNOT get this server to deploy. Works fine on my PC... And I follow the exact same steps for the Server and it will not install.

Java. :rotate:

Most likely a JVM issue as server OS are notoriously bad for Java.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Eh, that's a bit overblown. The Windows Server OS's have effectively been the same as the desktop OS's for several iterations. Just a lighter weight UI and more of the server features in play. They've used the same kernel since Windows XP/2000.

There is nothing about a Windows Server OS that should stop Java from running.

My first guess is that it might be some security issue, because the Windows Server OS's have been more and more locked down with each release. I spend as much time disabling cumbersome security stuff as I do installing software when I setup an app server.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    What I was mostly implying is that dev servers tend to sit in the shithole and fall behind and are on some weird JVM version that has a bug with a particular software. So if your first step when getting to the server to install a piece of software isn't "Update the shit out of it" then this is likely where your problems are.

Glassfish apparently is notoriously buggy depending on the version of JVM you have. According to google searches.

• Options
    It's a fresh install of Windows Server 2012 and I have the latest Java installed. I'll use the one that I am using on my machine to see if it works.

• Options
    That would not surprise me either.

Or maybe a firewall rule is fucking it. Or a million different shitty things.

• Options
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Sad, but true. I can't count the number of times I've been "interviewed" by a technically incompetent person who just asks the formulaic questions, and has no idea what the answers mean.

Since I am so easily employable now, and finding jobs is pretty easy, I tend to troll these people now. Tossing in extra, completely fake, buzz words, making up entire technology trees that don't exist but damn they sound cool.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    I do that too.

Like I said, I start tossing entire logic into the header of a for loop and blow their mind when they "grade" these tests.

"it works but I don't understand this, there's no code here..."

RZ1Kx.png

• Options
    Yeah our "phone interview" guy literally doesn't know anything about really anything. The dude put coffee beans in our coffee maker... And didn't even put any water in it; then turned it on.

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    Yeah our "phone interview" guy literally doesn't know anything about really anything. The dude put coffee beans in our coffee maker... And didn't even put any water in it; then turned it on.

That smell.

• Options
    Oh god.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Office Space is a great documentary.

• Options
    int main(void){
        for(int i=0;i<100; ++i, (i%3 == 0 && i%5 ==0) ? printf("fizzbuzz\r\n") : 
              (i%3 == 0) ? printf("fizz\r\n") : (i%5 == 0) ? printf("buzz\r\n") : 
               printf("%d\r\n",i));
    }

• Options
    That's what I think about your silly fizzbuzz mister interviewer who offered me $11.75 an hour!

• Options
    11.75 an hour? You couldn't get most starving CS students to work for that. That's a bad joke right?

• Options
    edited January 2013
    I just got called into my boss's office and got terrible news.
    My next project is going to be in Java instead of C#

gjaustin on
  • Options
    gjaustin wrote: »
    I just got called into my boss's office and got terrible news.
    My next project is going to be in Java instead of C#

Did you tender your resignation on the spot?

• Options
    11.75 an hour? You couldn't get most starving CS students to work for that. That's a bad joke right?

I wish.

They wanted me to design a site from scratch and all this. They wanted me to mock something up in my interview and I offered a fizzbuzz instead, he had to google what that was.

I also made sure to point out that any programmer with their salt isn't making UI's and front facing websites or portals and you'll probably need to drop anywhere from $100-5,000 to get a business worthy template. 5,000 for the more unique look.

He also wanted me to create a logo.

This discussion has been closed.