As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GW2]New thread is go. We are still doing pretty great at WvW.

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Aegis wrote: »
    I don't exactly understand what the point of defiance is. Like, it tells me that they're immune to CC, blinds are 10% effective, and weakness/vulnerability function at 50%. So...what's the purpose of the stacks? Are they not immune to CC until they have stacks? And then you have to strip the stacks off in order to get that one single opportunity to CC them again?

From what I've been able to gather (had to dig up a post on the official forums), it's the second.

Basically, you get 1 CC in on the boss, then you got reCC them X number of times before you can CC them again. (where X is the number of players in the fight, with a hard minimum of 3)

Anyone know if there's some kind of limitation to how quickly you can remove the stacks? I know as a thief with an off-hand pistol I have that short daze (skill 4) that I can spam relatively quickly in order to burn thru those stacks. Sometimes, though, it doesn't take a stack off for a while when I hit them with the daze. Confusing.

I'm not 100% sure how it works. As a Mesmer, I've stripped off three stacks with one use of diversion with staggered clones, but there does seem to be a timer there, probably related to the duration of the CC that ate the previous stack.

• Options
    KilnagaKilnaga Registered User regular
    REG Rysk wrote: »
    @Vorpal gave clear and concise opinion, but I want to add something to it. The developers absolutely intended the explorable mode dungeons to be the pinnacle of difficulty in the game at this time. This means that any edge you can get like maximum level, all the skills available and exotic statistic gear is going to help you succeed. By that same token, a really well coordinated group of exceptional players leveled to only 35 in blues and greens could probably do AC explorable as well.

Each person is going to have a different experience because of the many various factors, and things can be made easier or more difficult depending on those factors. I had runs in the (pre-nerf) Magg CoF path with Shiashi, Paradelle, Mojojojojojojojojooojoojjojojojojjo, and Vorpal that were just CAKE walk easy 10 minute runs. Swap to another group of people who aren't as familiar with it, who may not have builds optimized for doing it, may not have any exotic gear or be sub 80 and it took 5-15 minutes longer per run.

@REG Rysk
    All I'm reading here is "NERF WARRIORS."

"I did a run with multiple warriors, and it was like... super quick bro"

"Went with a different group... totally not super quick bro"

:bz

"The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
  • Options
    HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Lots of stuff is immune to fear
    If a defiant monster gets feared the skull thing shows up but they don't actually get interrupted and I'm pretty sure it doesn't even take off a stack

It won't take off a stack of defiant because fear isn't counted as CC for defiant.

It would be nice if immunity to fear were better-signposted. I've noticed it will sometimes straight up give the 'immune' flashup but sometimes it doesn't but, as you say, it will have no practical effect.

Also *ahem* this is the most important thing Arenanet must address, and they must drop everything to get it fixed ASAP.
    /isnecro

Huggles on
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    That video.
    Yeah... It's... something. Was trying to save you guys by giving you the time for the pertinent info.

I watched it because I was curious how Professor Snape figured in.

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Huggles wrote: »
    steejee wrote: »
    Maybe the game just needs a level 20 story-mode-only group dungeon that has all these mechanics with only like 2 bosses. Each being very slow and lazy, and providing hint popups pointing out boons/conditions and such, but set the boss to be 100% unbeatable if you use no CCs or Combos. One combo = 10% health gone! or something along those lines.

Hell, make it Duoable and gives you your first Rare, just so no one has a reason to skip it.

I was literally thinking this earlier today.

Whilst it's easy for those of us who have been deeply involved with following this game for years to notice things like Unshakeable/Defiant, there is no in-game explanation. The mob tooltips ('inflicts poison', 'stronger when together', etc) go some way, but some people are just going to gloss over them and need it kind of pressed into their faces.

EDIT: CC is Daze, Stun, Blowout, Knockback, Knockdown, and Float and Sink underwater. For any of you necros out there, fear, a condition, works on everything always (which I guess is why player-sourced fear is pretty short-lived), even if on champs the duration is negligible. Necros should in theory be able to interrupt any attack on demand, though this needs testing. Might just be that some stuff is straight up immune to fear.

This is incorrect. As I said before, not counting underwater, the things that function as interrupts on players/enemies are daze, stun, launch(blowout), knockback, knockdown, pull, and fear. Fear does not work on bosses that have defiance stacks(you will see the icon above their head but they will not be feared), and do in fact take defiance stacks off if they're present. The fear will work once the defiance stacks are gone. I've seen all these things in dungeons in action. The GW2 wiki lists the 7 things I said as well as interrupts, and it makes sense, because if bosses were not immune to them when defiance was up, they could be chained and the boss would never be able to do anything.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Another newbie question: What should I be doing with karma? So far I've only used it to buy cooking ingredients.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Another newbie question: What should I be doing with karma? So far I've only used it to buy cooking ingredients.

Basically quest rewards as far as its use while leveling. Talking to heart givers after you've completed the heart will let you trade it for goods.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Any Heart you complete will sell you shit for Karma. Gear and other odds and sods. Use it as needed or save it up and spend it at higher levels on various other things.

• Options
    VorpalVorpal Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    I would feel free to use it if you see things that are good upgrades. The amount of karma you get scales with level, so you might save up allll the karma you got while levelling and it's not enough to buy one item at level 80.

Be aware that gear on the AH is typically very cheap so typically it is not necessary to spend karma to get level appropriate gear at all.

I'd use it to buy 10 packs of any bulk cooking food you run across on karma vendors for sure.

Mostly I used it to buy gear that I liked the look of, honestly :)

Generally you can buy a complete armor set in each zone, each karma vendor selling one piece of it. The pieces will all have a certain theme and generally look pretty nice when all worn together.

Vorpal on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: Vorpallion Twitch: Vorpallion
  • Options
    I would highly recommend saving your Karma.

Maybe buying a few pieces of gear for transmuting, or something that truly catches your eye. You need 42k to buy the level 80 Karma exotics, by the time you're 80...you should have 20k or so if you limited your spending. Which is just a day or two of doing events more, and you'll have your first exotic.

• Options
    eeSanGeeSanG I slice like a goddamn hammer. Registered User regular
    Whenever I steal the fear ability on my thief, I work hard to get it off on the boss. Always surprises my group mates when the boss beelines away from them.

LFMGb.jpg
    Slice like a god damn hammer. LoL: Rafflesia / BNet: Talonflame#11979
  • Options
    Or *towards* them, if you are a capricious thief.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    @Kilnaga exactly

Oh wait, guardians are cool too because they also get greatswords. No rangers allowed though. Greatsword or gtfo.

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    @Kilnaga exactly

Oh wait, guardians are cool too because they also get greatswords. No rangers allowed though. Greatsword or gtfo.

What exactly is a "sword"?

Is it something you shoot, or something that explodes?

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Rangers are actually greatsword friendly. In fact I'd argue they have the coolest greatsword because they DROP BEARS ON PEOPLE.

• Options
    REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    Rend wrote: »
    @Kilnaga exactly

What exactly is a "sword"?

Is it something you shoot, or something that explodes?

@Rend in the right hands, it can be explosive.

:winky:

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

Any Heart you complete will sell you shit for Karma. Gear and other odds and sods. Use it as needed or save it up and spend it at higher levels on various other things.

Huh. Didn't know that. Time to check the hearts.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Sorry, six 50-post page delayed reaction:
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    @Kupi

Have... have you played other MMOs? This game so much less skill bloat and less bindings required.

My entire experience with online RPG gaming is Phantasy Star Online, Nox, and the original Guild Wars. PSO barely managed to fit itself on a controller, but did, Nox got a bit hectic for Wizards but was otherwise manageable, and Guild Wars fit its entire skill-bar on the top. If other MMOs require you to use more commands than Guild Wars 2, then they're even further in the wrong.

EDIT: I make one exception to this rule about the buttons, and that's Steel Battalion. Because 1) Steel Battalion was all about having too many goddamn buttons, and 2) since it had a custom controller, technically it did have roughly as many commands as ergonomically-available buttons.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    I tend to use Karma whenever it was an immediate and major upgrade, or if there was nothing on the Trading Post that I could get instead (since gear is cheap there).

The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
  • Options
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Huggles wrote: »
    steejee wrote: »
    Maybe the game just needs a level 20 story-mode-only group dungeon that has all these mechanics with only like 2 bosses. Each being very slow and lazy, and providing hint popups pointing out boons/conditions and such, but set the boss to be 100% unbeatable if you use no CCs or Combos. One combo = 10% health gone! or something along those lines.

Hell, make it Duoable and gives you your first Rare, just so no one has a reason to skip it.

I was literally thinking this earlier today.

Whilst it's easy for those of us who have been deeply involved with following this game for years to notice things like Unshakeable/Defiant, there is no in-game explanation. The mob tooltips ('inflicts poison', 'stronger when together', etc) go some way, but some people are just going to gloss over them and need it kind of pressed into their faces.

EDIT: CC is Daze, Stun, Blowout, Knockback, Knockdown, and Float and Sink underwater. For any of you necros out there, fear, a condition, works on everything always (which I guess is why player-sourced fear is pretty short-lived), even if on champs the duration is negligible. Necros should in theory be able to interrupt any attack on demand, though this needs testing. Might just be that some stuff is straight up immune to fear.

This is incorrect. As I said before, not counting underwater, the things that function as interrupts on players/enemies are daze, stun, launch(blowout), knockback, knockdown, pull, and fear. Fear does not work on bosses that have defiance stacks(you will see the icon above their head but they will not be feared), and do in fact take defiance stacks off if they're present. The fear will work once the defiance stacks are gone. I've seen all these things in dungeons in action. The GW2 wiki lists the 7 things I said as well as interrupts, and it makes sense, because if bosses were not immune to them when defiance was up, they could be chained and the boss would never be able to do anything.

:^:

Like I said, I think it needs better clarification in the UI. If the boss is currently immune to fear, showing the fear condition appear under their bar and the floaty skull effect tells me that fear is working. I thought I never saw fear stripping a stack of defiant from a boss, but I could well be mistaken.

• Options
    Current Orichalum Node Locations:

Frostgorge sound:
    Right next to starry skies waypoint
    North of the dimotiki waypoint

For those wondering, there are a couple potential orichalum node locations in the level 80 zones, and the nodes change location every time the server goes down for maintenance. i think they respawn in 5 hours? Once they are up for a maintenance though they seem to stay where they are.

The Orr zones have 5 locations. Frostgorge sound only has 2, and always in the northern part of the zone.

I kind of wish we could have a guild bulletin board in game with stuff like that on it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    I'm running across the wvwvw checking my map as I complete the last of my exploration as we are awesome in Fort Aspenwood and it's mostly safe. While tabbed out I hear my very annoying grunting sounds and I can't move forward anymore. This is weird, I think, and look behind me as a lone ranger has decided to shoot me for no apparent reason. So I turn and kill him as he just stands there, not running or strafing, occasionally using skills but he's a Ranger and I'm a Mesmer and thus this isn't a contest that should be remotely challenging for me.

Sometimes people confuse me.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I'm level 46 and having a hard time keeping on the level with my zones. Seems my story has guided me to things that keep going over my head, even doing my daily and hitting events whenever I see them. A tad frustrating, but at least I can pop over to the other zones to do some quests and such there. Loving my guardian, though not so much loving how we're in split guilds with minimal guild chat. "Use teamspeak!" they say. But then how can I chat with guildies while playing and watch Netflix at the same time hrmmm?

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    I've found that participating in wvwvw every so often when you feel like you need a couple levels works wonders. Hell, before I hit 80 at times I've wanted to not wvwvw because the hour I'd spend in there would likely raise me a few too many levels.

Characters
  • Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular

You... should buy cooking ingredients.

Rather: You should buy the cooking ingredients you need, and then save the rest for Super Awesome Goodies at high level (ie, your racial armor is bought with Karma, as far as I know)

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options

Rather: You should buy the cooking ingredients you need, and then save the rest for Super Awesome Goodies at high level (ie, your racial armor is bought with Karma, as far as I know)

Weapons are karma, racial armor is gold.

"The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
  • Options
    Kilnaga wrote: »

Gold. So much gold.

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Kilnaga wrote: »

Ah. I stand corrected!

Point is: Buy ingredients, don't buy anything else, save for SHINY CRAP later.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    Save karma for the parts needed for sexy legendaries? :D

- Terence McKenna
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited September 2012

Maybe buying a few pieces of gear for transmuting, or something that truly catches your eye. You need 42k to buy the level 80 Karma exotics, by the time you're 80...you should have 20k or so if you limited your spending. Which is just a day or two of doing events more, and you'll have your first exotic.

Or you could buy full exotics with gold

Better stats! And a full set of exotics is what? 15g? a few hundred thousand karma is much, much harder to get

override367 on
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    By the way, was there ever a stated reason why racial skills aren't allowed in sPvP?

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    GodofalluGodofallu Oshkosh, WIRegistered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    By the way, was there ever a stated reason why racial skills aren't allowed in sPvP?

Because in Spvp all races/classes are supposed to be equal. If you want to use a racial -> the racial skill is better than default skills -> imbalance.

People like me would delete lvl 80 chars and make new ones over 1 racial skill it it was actually allowed in tournaments.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Aww, does that mean Sylvari don't get to use Healing Seed in sPvP?

Characters
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I am completely immune to the Unidentified Dye hypnosis, so I am just going to stack mine up and make a killing one of these days when people who want their legendary staves are begging to buy piles.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited September 2012

Or you could buy full exotics with gold

Better stats! And a full set of exotics is what? 15g 16g-24g (plus another 8g for weapons, but you'll have to spend that either way) depending on which modifier you want (and growing every day)? a 252k karma is much, much harder only a slightly higher time investment (probably less, considering you have no Karma expenses but have regular/constant gold sinks) to get

Fixed that for you.

Temple armor (42k Karma armor) has the same stats as crafted/dropped armor. It's just all different load outs. You can also get unique rune's from the temple armor. Never mind appearance.

But hey, let's just totally disregard the fact that the suggestion was so the questioner could be well apprised of what to spend his Karma on. Let's also totally disregard the constantly increasing Exotic prices and the fact that certain pieces aren't even available right now. Nor the fact that if you buy an Exotic off the TP, you also need to invest in runes (which are also climbing in price at a steady rate).

Now, that we're on the same page...

Personally, I've bought 3 Temple armor pieces and made 15 gold in that time. I can spend that gold on all the other fun things I want, like second suits for alternate builds, bag slots...bank slots...gearing alts...

The point is that figuring on buying Temple armor saves you lots of gold. Because you're spending alt-currency.

Edit: I realize this comes off a little "assholey". That's not the intent. I see far to many people saying "JUST BUY ALL YOUR EXO'S OFF THE TP!" Buying pieces with Karma is highly viable, and is there for a reason. Exotic prices are skyrocketing because people are tunneled in on buying them off the TP.

You're actually better off getting a full set of rares and then slowly stepping into your exotics. Using Karma, Tokens, crafting, or possibly gold. My advice is to do it slowly. Quite a few 80's I know are buying second suits now (myself included) because we jumped the gun on the first one.

Also: If you're tunneled in on a legendary? Yeah, that Karma is better saved and the gold better spent. Some of us though, think most of the legendaries look silly and can spend our Karma on basically free exotics.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    downerdowner Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Does anyone have an in game shot of a Tier 3 Sylvari cultural weapon? Preview doesn't show particle effects. :(

Also, my GIS only yielded low res mockups..

downer on
  • Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    downer wrote: »
    Does anyone have an in game shot of a Tier 3 Sylvari cultural weapon? Preview doesn't show particle effects. :(

Also, my GIS only yielded low res mockups..

T3 Greatsword

95VuX.jpg

ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Zebukiel wrote: »
    So I started up a warrior the other night after getting tired of how squishy my other characters were during story quests ("We'll just put two mobs that do a massively damaging whirlwind attack they are invulnerable during next to your Mesmer in an enclosed space and follow them up with a champion mob that takes off half of your life in a ranged attack"). I'm curious what weapon setups people like with one though. I'm currently running around with a greatsword like pretty much everyone else apparently but I'm not fond of how you have to stay still during the entire length of the second attack for optimal results. If I have to move during it to avoid damage, I basically wind up just on autoattack for a bit.
    I am running around as a mesmer main. I did a good chunk of my leveling with Sword/Pistal - Gsword. Though for the last dozen levels or so, I have been using Staff - Sword/Focus, and I must say Staff - sword/focus makes any fight so easy. its become super fun and super easy to take on Tons of mobs at once, and I've even managed to Solo a couple Champions. I am only level 62 atm.
    I must be missing some strategy to Mesmer combat then. Either that or stat focus. Admittedly, I'm only 14, but over the past 4 levels my survivability and damage output have both gone through the floor to the point where I just ended up throwing my arms in the air and going back to playing my main out of frustration. If my illusions do grab aggro they die to 2 hits and more oft than not they lose it the moment I dare tap the mob...

• Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    So I started up a warrior the other night after getting tired of how squishy my other characters were during story quests ("We'll just put two mobs that do a massively damaging whirlwind attack they are invulnerable during next to your Mesmer in an enclosed space and follow them up with a champion mob that takes off half of your life in a ranged attack"). I'm curious what weapon setups people like with one though. I'm currently running around with a greatsword like pretty much everyone else apparently but I'm not fond of how you have to stay still during the entire length of the second attack for optimal results. If I have to move during it to avoid damage, I basically wind up just on autoattack for a bit.
    I am running around as a mesmer main. I did a good chunk of my leveling with Sword/Pistal - Gsword. Though for the last dozen levels or so, I have been using Staff - Sword/Focus, and I must say Staff - sword/focus makes any fight so easy. its become super fun and super easy to take on Tons of mobs at once, and I've even managed to Solo a couple Champions. I am only level 62 atm.
    I must be missing some strategy to Mesmer combat then. Either that or stat focus. Admittedly, I'm only 14, but over the past 4 levels my survivability and damage output have both gone through the floor to the point where I just ended up throwing my arms in the air and going back to playing my main out of frustration. If my illusions do grab aggro they die to 2 hits and more oft than not they lose it the moment I dare tap the mob...

in my experience mesmer combat was awful until level 40 and the unlocking of master traits. the one that made clones bleed on crit, the ones that gave phantasms fury, and the one that gave clone on dodge in Dueling made it super duper fun. I dumped that setup once i got to 80 but oh my god mesmers are fun once you get good traits
    it is now my favorite character

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »

What are you fighting, what weapon are you using and what strategy are you employing?

Lvl 10 is also about where the game stops holding your hand with low damage and starts resembling the way the game actually plays and you need to start dodging alot more.

Illusion aggro is finicky but what you want them to be doing depends on your weapon.

But basically:
    - using sword, dodge alot and use Sword 2 and switch to ranged weapon set when things look dicey
    - using staff/scepter, kite in tight circle
    - using greatsword, switch to staff or scepter :p

This discussion has been closed.