As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GW2]New thread is go. We are still doing pretty great at WvW.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    About portals: I'm a mesmer and I'm down to use portals more - but everyone should know how they work I think. They don't stay up indefinitely. The entrance portal stays up for 45 seconds and the exit portal stays up for 20 - and the entrance portal disappears when the exit one does. So the longest a portal will be open is 20 seconds, and the range is however far the mesmer can make it on foot before the entrance portal expires.

We've used them to move golems before, but never to move them from a supply camp clear to a gate. One thing that would be worth trying is building two or more golems at a supply camp and them portaling them to a gate. The thing is that I'm never sure how abundant guild golems are. Could someone who knows how much influence they cost figure out how many it's feasible to use in say a week without gimping the other stuff we buy with influence?

Yes. All of this. Also (if I knew the names of places this would be easier to explain) but that spot where we were talking about using mesmer portals to get supply up to the stone bridge to get the tier two doors down? With 2 mesmers we could probably get golem from the supply camp up to the bridge and most of the way to the door.

• RendRend Registered User regular
    in fact, you could literally make "roads" of mesmers, because if they are putting portal roads down on cooldown, and the road itself is longer than 3 mesmers, then it is actually faster to wait for the next portal than it is to simply start running.

A 10 portal road every ~60-80s would be such a massive time saver for respawning troops. You are turning a more than 3 minute run into a less than 1 minute run.

though you have to have mesmers doing nothing but making a road to do so.

• YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    Possible but tricky. Though if you're talking about moving from a supply camp to the nearest gate, I bet you could do it with just three mesmers, or maybe even two in some cases (like say Arah's to the NW gate of Bay)

• StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    A horn warrior or a guardian with Retreat! would give extra speed for the 25 seconds of run time, increasing the portal distance.

Also, if the golem drivers were spending thier time getting on top of the entrance and be ready to port as soon as the exit drops, you could conceivably get a full 40 seconds of "run time" between the entrance and exit. That would take some small amount of coordination though.

26904.png
    Possible but tricky. Though if you're talking about moving from a supply camp to the nearest gate, I bet you could do it with just three mesmers, or maybe even two in some cases (like say Arah's to the NW gate of Bay)

It would be a bit tricky, but definitely doable with people on TS.
    1. Everyone runs to the supply camp. Every 20s, a mesmer stops moving.
    2. Keep track of the names of those mesmers in reverse order- the first one to stop is the last one on the list
    3. When you're ready to begin moving, call out the names in order, one name every ~2 seconds
    4. When you hear your name called, you put down your portal, run until you are next to the next portal, and drop your exit.
    5. Profit! (you can either go back through your portal in order to reset your portion of the road to do it again shortly, or prepare to take the next portal to get back into the action)

The travelers simply run immediately to the first portal and hit f as soon as it pops up, then proceed to stroll through each portal.
    The time it takes to do whatever it is you were doing in the supply camp in the first place will almost certainly take more time than it would require to stop, assess, begin calling, and take the 20s necessary for the first leg to finish his run (at which time you convert each 20s into 2s)

DaemonSadi wrote: »
    About portals: I'm a mesmer and I'm down to use portals more - but everyone should know how they work I think. They don't stay up indefinitely. The entrance portal stays up for 45 seconds and the exit portal stays up for 20 - and the entrance portal disappears when the exit one does. So the longest a portal will be open is 20 seconds, and the range is however far the mesmer can make it on foot before the entrance portal expires.

We've used them to move golems before, but never to move them from a supply camp clear to a gate. One thing that would be worth trying is building two or more golems at a supply camp and them portaling them to a gate. The thing is that I'm never sure how abundant guild golems are. Could someone who knows how much influence they cost figure out how many it's feasible to use in say a week without gimping the other stuff we buy with influence?

Yes. All of this. Also (if I knew the names of places this would be easier to explain) but that spot where we were talking about using mesmer portals to get supply up to the stone bridge to get the tier two doors down? With 2 mesmers we could probably get golem from the supply camp up to the bridge and most of the way to the door.

If it's where we were last night I think it might take three. When I ran around that area though I couldn't find a place where it looked like I could safely drop down without dying (though we were also busy getting fighting so I couldn't really check thoroughly).

• ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    Rend wrote: »

2. Keep track of the names of those mesmers in reverse order- the first one to stop is the last one on the list
    3. When you're ready to begin moving, call out the names in order, one name every ~2 seconds
    4. When you hear your name called, you put down your portal, run until you are next to the next portal, and drop your exit.
    5. Profit! (you can either go back through your portal in order to reset your portion of the road to do it again shortly, or prepare to take the next portal to get back into the action)

The travelers simply run immediately to the first portal and hit f as soon as it pops up, then proceed to stroll through each portal.
    The time it takes to do whatever it is you were doing in the supply camp in the first place will almost certainly take more time than it would require to stop, assess, begin calling, and take the 20s necessary for the first leg to finish his run (at which time you convert each 20s into 2s)

Couldn't you have a mesmer drop a portal right befor ehte first portal in the chain and then go through the portal chain and drop the exit portal on the other side to make it a single "hop" to go the entire distance? Or does it mess with a mesmer portal ability if they use another mesmer's portal?

• VorpalVorpal Registered User regular
    That one time when like 70 BG washed over Arah's half our zerg was at the NW gate of Bay, because the zerg she is a fickle mistress. If we'd had all our people there with the siege I think we could've won that fight and the rest of the night might've gone differently.

Next week it looks like it'll be us, Sanctum of Rall (who we've beaten before) and Dragonbrand (who I believe have lost a lot of people to transfers).

Also if you go to the GW2guru WvW forum there's a Fort Aspenwood thread there. Might be a good place to spread the good word about the summit.

Sanctum of Rall and Sea of Sorrows have both gained huge numbers of transfers since their last matchups and are currently easily steamrolling their current opposition.

steam_sig.png
    PSN: Vorpallion Twitch: Vorpallion
  • ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    I haven't tested it on my mesmer, but there's some talk about what the max range of the portals can be in pvp/wvw. Also keep in mind, that sometimes you have to stand on the portal for a few seconds before you get the option to use it.

edited October 2012

Couldn't you have a mesmer drop a portal right befor ehte first portal in the chain and then go through the portal chain and drop the exit portal on the other side to make it a single "hop" to go the entire distance? Or does it mess with a mesmer portal ability if they use another mesmer's portal?

I am pretty sure portal has a max range. Otherwise, yes, you could have a single final mesmer to make it one hop (though that wouldn't actually make your trip faster since you could just follow the final mesmer down the road and be there quicker. it would, though, be useful for extending the road's duration)

Rend on

I think the problem is what Ardor said in that there actually is a max range for portals beyond how far the mesmer can make it. Dunno what the range is but I think people have hit it without going through other people's portals.

I think the problem is what Ardor said in that there actually is a max range for portals beyond how far the mesmer can make it. Dunno what the range is but I think people have hit it without going through other people's portals.

Forums have suggested a few things.

- 4000 range
    - If you can still select someone off in the distance, you're within range (so if I run far enough away from you that you cannot select me, I'm out of range)
    - Zoom in your mini map, then zoom out 2 clicks, that is range.

• BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    A mesmer portal road seems like the kind of thing that would do well with landmarks instead of 'run for 20 seconds' so that you can send people to a spot (commander marks on the map?) and then have them link spot A to B, B to C, etc.

Also I'm sad at the thought of a max distance. I was imagining a chain strategy to get a big group from a supply camp straight to wherever in one jump (with a single mesmer making the multiple jumps between dropping his entrance and exit)

Bobble wrote: »
    A mesmer portal road seems like the kind of thing that would do well with landmarks instead of 'run for 20 seconds' so that you can send people to a spot (commander marks on the map?) and then have them link spot A to B, B to C, etc.

Also I'm sad at the thought of a max distance. I was imagining a chain strategy to get a big group from a supply camp straight to wherever in one jump (with a single mesmer making the multiple jumps between dropping his entrance and exit)

I guess I'm happy they have a max range. Otherwise, why travel in a zerg around the map?

You tell everyone to waypoint back to the start, a mesmer drops a portal at some location on the map, waypoints back, drops another portal and everyone heads in. It's like the perfect defense. You get 20 guys who are just some hit squad. They chill at the waypoint. You put a mesmer at every supply camp, tower or keep you own along with nearby any zerg. Someone attacking a tower or supply camp? Create the portal to send 20 guys to that location instantly. While hilarious, I think I can understand why this wouldn't be intended.

At least for the mesmer and I'm pretty sure for other people (How I got to third floor when attacking SM once), "entry" and "exit" portals don't mean you can only enter the entry portal. Currently, I can make the entry portal, then drop an exit portal and I can enter either portal to get to the other. (Order for the skill is entry (lasts 60s), then exit (lasts 20s and upon closing, also closes the entry portal).

• XagarXagar Registered User regular
    I think I'll start taking my warrior into wuvwuv instead of Phyla. It's a lot easier to be dominant on her though but badges are account bound and that's my highest level alt that could really use the xp.

what works for warrior in wuvwuv? i run greatsword/longbow atm in pve
    I know from following Punchdance around that Cleric/healing shouts Hammer/GS/Sword linebacker works great, especially in small group fights.

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    I hope am I around to witness our mesmers practice constructing portal roads.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Portal roads you say? Sounds very Roman legion meets pretty and pink mages.

488W936.png
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    DaemonSadi wrote: »

If it's where we were last night I think it might take three. When I ran around that area though I couldn't find a place where it looked like I could safely drop down without dying (though we were also busy getting fighting so I couldn't really check thoroughly).

Theres a small drop and than the big drop. If you the the small drop first you can survive the big drop (I know because I fell off the small one and had to take the big drop). You could have one mesmer portal the distance from camp to the bottom of the bridge (or thereabouts) and the second can go from door area to the bottom of the bridge.

• ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    RE: Portals

Yes, people having been doing "portal roads" to quickly move siege golems across the map, coming out of nowhere to hit targets.

There's a huge difference between "Hey guys, about 4-5 siege golems approaching from the south" and "HOLY FUCK THE GATE THE GATE THE GATE!"

• ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Since you're talking about portals, it's important to note that the exit portal is currently bugged and only lasts 10 seconds, despite the tooltip.

• DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    This portal stuff makes me think of gates in Savage, which was an important part for sieging with the Beast side especially with a full team of Behemoths (think siege golems). That game had it balanced by the fact that you had to actually construct a very fragile destructible portal on both ends that would shine a huge beacon into the sky for the other team to discover if they were paying attention.

Though that actually has nothing to do with portals in WvW and the player culling issue (which I think is the biggest problem with them, the other being that mesmers can supposedly be rezzed between the gates and then portal an army in after the defenders leave, maybe there should be a option to burn corpses in WvW to force them to respawn at the nearest waypoint, which also fixes dead spying issues). But what if a portal had a use timer? i.e. it could only let in one person at a time, with a 1 second timer per person. That might fix the culling problem with mass influx of invisible players, have no effect on solo usage, and little effect for party usage. Maybe balance it out by keeping the portals up a little longer.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Ardor wrote: »
    Bobble wrote: »

I guess I'm happy they have a max range. Otherwise, why travel in a zerg around the map?

You tell everyone to waypoint back to the start, a mesmer drops a portal at some location on the map, waypoints back, drops another portal and everyone heads in. It's like the perfect defense. You get 20 guys who are just some hit squad. They chill at the waypoint. You put a mesmer at every supply camp, tower or keep you own along with nearby any zerg. Someone attacking a tower or supply camp? Create the portal to send 20 guys to that location instantly. While hilarious, I think I can understand why this wouldn't be intended.

At least for the mesmer and I'm pretty sure for other people (How I got to third floor when attacking SM once), "entry" and "exit" portals don't mean you can only enter the entry portal. Currently, I can make the entry portal, then drop an exit portal and I can enter either portal to get to the other. (Order for the skill is entry (lasts 60s), then exit (lasts 20s and upon closing, also closes the entry portal).

Hmm, excellent point about the waypoint exploitability. If you disabled laying down the exit after using a waypoint, that could fix that, but I think there's probably a design philosophy behind it too. Alas, could've been fun :)

Dracil wrote: »
    This portal stuff makes me think of gates in Savage, which was an important part for sieging with the Beast side especially with a full team of Behemoths (think siege golems). That game had it balanced by the fact that you had to actually construct a very fragile destructible portal on both ends that would shine a huge beacon into the sky for the other team to discover if they were paying attention.

Though that actually has nothing to do with portals in WvW and the player culling issue (which I think is the biggest problem with them, the other being that mesmers can supposedly be rezzed between the gates and then portal an army in after the defenders leave, maybe there should be a option to burn corpses in WvW to force them to respawn at the nearest waypoint, which also fixes dead spying issues). But what if a portal had a use timer? i.e. it could only let in one person at a time, with a 1 second timer per person. That might fix the culling problem with mass influx of invisible players, have no effect on solo usage, and little effect for party usage. Maybe balance it out by keeping the portals up a little longer.

This is my preferred solution to the portalbombing problem, this way all other portal uses would still be valid but the rendering issue caused by portalbombs would be (hopefully) neutralized

I think one of the biggest boons to portals right now, would be to build siege golems inside a tower or keep and portal those things out the back or side, where enemies tend to not watch as often as a front gate. Added bonus and survivability if you can portal the golems into the water or something.

• VorpalVorpal Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    So, we need to get a bunch of NICE guys out there tonight/tomorrow and try to close the point gap between us and TC.

Sea of Sorrows and Sanctum of Rall have both gained absurd amounts of people and are stomping their competition effortlessly. We do NOT want to be matched against either of those servers for next week. So we want both us and TC to drop down a tier and for sea of sorrows/sanctum of rall to shoot right past us. To do that we need to close the point gap between us and TC in these next couple days.

Even a small group of us could run around taking supply camps such.

And if we get a big group, it is probably worth while to still have a group of 5 out roaming to knock down enemy supply camps/defend our own.

Vorpal on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: Vorpallion Twitch: Vorpallion
    edited October 2012
    Mainly, we just want to force TC's point gain to drop to nothing, and hope SoR maintains a large point gain I think?

SoS is already far above TC so we don't need to worry about their points. There was a 600 point difference between TC and SoR.

But I'll certainly try to help hit TC tonight. After my boardgame night.

Dracil on
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    If you are bringing this over here from the official forums thank you. I was posting about this over there cause i can view their forums at work. I hoped one of you would post it here and get nice involved. Currently tc will still be placed ahead of sor but only by a mere point of the rating they use. The rating change is based on how you perform. They are in second, but the less they are in second by the lower their rating goes. By closing the gap tc goes down a spot so we play them instead of sor. Tc would make for a much better match than sor.
    So we need to get out there and get some points. It actually matters right now.

Edit: srry this post was so unintelligable, phone posting and all that

Kai_San on
  • BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus Pssssssssyyyyyyyy duckRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Idk if this has been mentioned before but for any of you avid spvp players - Arcane Crystal + Arcane Orb + Arcane Powder + Consumable Token = Glory Booster. Easy way to make more glory and basically the only useful thing you can spend it on early ranks. Most of that stuff can be salvaged from gold chests. Maybe some silver too.

BradicusMaximus on
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    A public service announcement that I made in the guild channel, will make here, and might as well take to the official forums if it'll help.

Events are connected. When you complete an event, follow the event NPC for a while. Another event will start shortly, unless the last one ended in a reasonably climactic encounter.

Seriously. I'm getting pretty damn sick of getting killed in monster zergs because I'm the only person around who realizes that, hey, this plot is going to continue and I really want to know what's going to happen when they activate the runes!

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    One thing that bugs me about dynamic events is bots. Or should that be bots just bug me?

Because when an even scales because it was started by 20 max level for the area bots, and then you're stuck with 3 people fighting some absurd champion spawn, it gets old really fast.

• StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    Vorpal wrote: »
    So, we need to get a bunch of NICE guys out there tonight/tomorrow and try to close the point gap between us and TC.

Sea of Sorrows and Sanctum of Rall have both gained absurd amounts of people and are stomping their competition effortlessly. We do NOT want to be matched against either of those servers for next week. So we want both us and TC to drop down a tier and for sea of sorrows/sanctum of rall to shoot right past us. To do that we need to close the point gap between us and TC in these next couple days.

Even a small group of us could run around taking supply camps such.

And if we get a big group, it is probably worth while to still have a group of 5 out roaming to knock down enemy supply camps/defend our own.

I think this is a Big Deal (tm). I will be out there tonight, even though I'm pitifully undergeared.

26904.png
    I was in an area yesterday or the day before where the zerg of bots would just kill the endless waves of event mobs. Kinda smart since it's a really heavy mob area and the events = extra money. They even tried to name the characters differently and dressed up. But of course the looping paths, ranger professions, and obvious random account names made it easy to report.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I can't believe they STILL haven't resolve botting, nnnngh.

What is this I don't even.
  • Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    You act like it's an easy thing to solve.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I can't believe they STILL haven't resolve botting, nnnngh.

Well, it's not like you can instantly ban someone suspected of botting. Someone farming an area could be following very bot-like actions, while only doing it for themselves.

They do have their own way to finding bots, and ban them in waves. When they do this, they'll usually announce 'hey, we banned x number of bots today!'.

And also, bots do help. Every time they're banned, they buy new copies of the game, which helps bump up the sales numbers for NCSoft.

• VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    can I stick some of the builds in this thread into the build dump?

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    Cobalt60 wrote: »

Ban rangers?

• GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    Fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk....more money for the gem store.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Cobalt60 wrote: »

Ban rangers?

I've heard of guardian bots.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
This discussion has been closed.