As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Starcraft 2] East coast: Heart of the storm

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    They should add the Warhound into the campaign mode just to troll people. :)

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    So I've been hearing from other friends, that the battle hellion changing into bio is just complete ludicracy (that's not a word but it will be for the context of this post), but I haven't heard much opinion here other than some benefits or not of being bio.

Like... a bio unit now comes out of the factory, that you need an armory for?
    The factory now produces organs?

Is Blizz trying to hint upon their underground Organ Factories in the Zanghou province of China?
    The battle hellion is merely a marketing campaign?

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    How come I didn't hear about this in the SC2 thread, guys? Did I just miss it?

Cade wrote: »
    Starcraft II multi player being looked at free to play.
    During a panel about eSports at the Valencia eSports Congress, Dustin Browder, Lead Designer on Starcraft II, was asked whether Blizzard had any plans for free to play in regards to their strategy behemoth. Free to play opens up the game to a huge number of people, and the more people that play, the more likely it is that you’ll unearth talent for your pro eSports scene.

His answer? Blizzard are ‘looking at free to play as an option for the multiplayer’. That’s not a confirmation, but it’s potentially huge, if Blizzard wanted to make that jump.

If you look at the rest of the eSports scene, Starcraft II stands alone as a fully priced product, with League of Legends, Dota 2 both being free to play, and even Counter Strike: Global Offensive carrying a reduced price tag. The wider your audience, and the more people playing your game, the more people will be interested in watching your pro players competing in it.

The main thing holding Blizzard back at the moment, at least according to Browder, was the logistics on how it would work. “We don’t know how we would monetise it. While it might be good fun for me to play against someone with only half the units available to them, that’s not going to be an enjoyable experience for them.” It’s a valid concern, especially when Starcraft II itself doesn’t exactly lend itself to being nearly as modular as League of Legends, Dota or World of Tanks.

Either way, I’d be incredibly surprised if it happened before all three installments of the game were released, at the very least. Especially when there’s so much refinement and tweaking for them to do with each one, trying to attach a whole new payment model on top of that would be lunacy.

Maybe the player would be able to buy new hats and...

kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • chuckleberryfinnchuckleberryfinn Ireland Registered User regular
    @Variable: Thank you sir! Look forward to going over the games!!!

No Protoss players were underpowered during this post.
    Variable
    @narwhal: I can help you with the EU/NA account thing. I have both clients on my pc and use a batch script to switch between the two accounts/email addresses and the variables file.

• BiosysBiosys Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »

During a panel about eSports at the Valencia eSports Congress, Dustin Browder, Lead Designer on Starcraft II, was asked whether Blizzard had any plans for free to play in regards to their strategy behemoth. Free to play opens up the game to a huge number of people, and the more people that play, the more likely it is that you’ll unearth talent for your pro eSports scene.

His answer? Blizzard are ‘looking at free to play as an option for the multiplayer’. That’s not a confirmation, but it’s potentially huge, if Blizzard wanted to make that jump.

If you look at the rest of the eSports scene, Starcraft II stands alone as a fully priced product, with League of Legends, Dota 2 both being free to play, and even Counter Strike: Global Offensive carrying a reduced price tag. The wider your audience, and the more people playing your game, the more people will be interested in watching your pro players competing in it.

The main thing holding Blizzard back at the moment, at least according to Browder, was the logistics on how it would work. “We don’t know how we would monetise it. While it might be good fun for me to play against someone with only half the units available to them, that’s not going to be an enjoyable experience for them.” It’s a valid concern, especially when Starcraft II itself doesn’t exactly lend itself to being nearly as modular as League of Legends, Dota or World of Tanks.

Either way, I’d be incredibly surprised if it happened before all three installments of the game were released, at the very least. Especially when there’s so much refinement and tweaking for them to do with each one, trying to attach a whole new payment model on top of that would be lunacy.

i think it might've been mentioned

but it means absolutely nothing anyway so T.T

Here's a recent game where I was playing out filter sc's T macro build.
    The P dies to my first push really, but I still try to set up for late game.
    I don't hit all of filter's timings (think I'm at 49 scvs at 10 mins :( ) but you can get the idea.

Plat TVP on Ohana

• jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    @narwhal: I can help you with the EU/NA account thing. I have both clients on my pc and use a batch script to switch between the two accounts/email addresses and the variables file.

Can I have that script? I'm getting sick of going into variables.txt every time I want to change region.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Jaziek, just install two different clients, in different folders. No fuss about scripts or anything else.

• JibbaJibba Registered User regular
    Biosys wrote: »
    kime wrote: »

i think it might've been mentioned

but it means absolutely nothing anyway so T.T

Yeah, it was like a weak 'no' when Browder said it.

• crucialityfactorcrucialityfactor Registered User regular
    Frozenzen wrote: »
    Jaziek, just install two different clients, in different folders. No fuss about scripts or anything else.

I just found a parallel universe where I have the EU client. No fuss about setting up a second folder.

Application data on windows 7, uses the same folder for some stupid reason. I didn't see a simple way of changing it. What os are you running?

And of course I have my clients in two seperate folders, but the variables file is kept in the same place. :)

• Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    it was a "we don't know how to do it" from Browder. It's incompetence.

edited September 2012
    it's just possible your anti-blizz bias is showing through there joe

just a little

it won't happen because financial reasons, really doubt it's cause they can't wrap their heads around f2p models

Biosys on
  • FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    edited September 2012

Application data on windows 7, uses the same folder for some stupid reason. I didn't see a simple way of changing it. What os are you running?

I just realised I have them on separate hard drives, which is why I never noticed this problem. I am running windows 7, but I assume that is why I never ran into this problem.

Frozenzen on

I just realised I have them on separate hard drives, which is why I never noticed this problem. I am running windows 7, but I assume that is why I never ran into this problem.

That'd do it.

• JibbaJibba Registered User regular
    Joe K wrote: »
    it was a "we don't know how to do it" from Browder. It's incompetence.

I think it was more like "we don't want to do it, but I'll bite for the sake of the question and say we haven't figured it out yet (and we don't want to.)"

So I exported the registry values from:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\Battle.net

and saved it as KafuEU.reg or KafuUS.reg when both email addresses were typed in.
    Then I have two batch scripts for launching the game, one for EU and one for US, that copies the right variables file and imports the reg data before launching the game. Works nicely. :)

Here's the EU one, the US one is very similar. Probably an easier way to do this but it's the fastest way I found to do it.
    @echo off
    copy /Y "c:\Users\<user name>\Documents\StarCraft II\Variables-enGB.txt" "c:\Users\<user name>\Documents\StarCraft II\Variables.txt"
    reg import "c:\Users\<user name>\Documents\StarCraft II\KafuEU.reg"
    "c:\Program Files (x86)\StarCraft II - EU\StarCraft II.exe"

MMMig815165
  • mEEksamEEksa Registered User regular
    There's simply no way to monetize Starcraft with a F2P model that would both

a) make anywhere near the same amount of money as selling it full price and
    b) not compromise the competitive integrity of the game

F2P does not work with every game, and contrary to what some people believe, the industry is not going to be dominated by the F2P model. It works very well for some kinds of games, and not so well with others.

Variablemysticjuicer
  • fatalspoonsfatalspoons Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    mEEksa wrote: »

F2P does not work with every game, and contrary to what some people believe, the industry is not going to be dominated by the F2P model. It works very well for some kinds of games, and not so well with others.

I agree that straight out the gate they wouldn't have made as much money with a F2P model, but I think it might be possible to make an eventual switch to it. Maybe two or three years after the protoss campaign comes out. It would help sustain the player base when it starts to taper off.

fatalspoons on
    i really don't know what they're going do in lotv

given them generally just not really knowing what to do with protoss

if sc2 was to move to a f2p model the protoss campaign could just be released as an addon, and we wouldn't be tied to an expansion for significant changes to the race

• KambingKambing Registered User regular
    mEEksa wrote: »

I agree that straight out the gate they wouldn't have made as much money with a F2P model, but I think it might be possible to make an eventual switch to it. Maybe two or three years after the protoss campaign comes out. It would help sustain the player base when it starts to taper off.

That's the most logical thing from a business perspective to do. They are already locked into two more expansions. There's not really room to fundamental change their pricing model now. What you might see is something similar with wow expansions where WoL will go ultra-cheap/f2p as a starting point near the release of legacy of the void.

@TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
    I got your free-to-play right here...
    use your imagination
    you know you want to
    ;);)

l4lGvOw.png

wra

just a little

it won't happen because financial reasons, really doubt it's cause they can't wrap their heads around f2p models

nothing to do with anti-blizz here, the only thing they seem to be able to reliably monetize is WoW. The post-sale monetization of D3 was piss poor.

• hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    I think that one way forward for Blizzard on the F2P front would be to actually use the Arcade feature as the "buy hats/freemium games" arm of the platform. Maybe even charge some nominal amount for the single-player campaign(s).

They would gain all the community growth of having a free client, get an avenue (a whole platform, really) for monetization, and not have to dilute the core multiplayer experience, which I agree would be unsustainable.

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular

just a little

nothing to do with anti-blizz here, the only thing they seem to be able to reliably monetize is WoW. The post-sale monetization of D3 was piss poor.

and just think how much worse diablo 2 was!

and brood war! my god...

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »

just a little

and just think how much worse diablo 2 was!

and brood war! my god...

Remember when you paid for a game, and then you had the whole thing forever?

Man. Those were the days.

fatalspoonsMMMignarwhalSorC
    You darn spoiled brats never had to work to EARN your games.

*shakes fist*

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • narwhalnarwhal monodon monoceros Registered User regular
    3clipse, I like your dhal quote.

Narwhal#1834
    fatalspoons
    so, i just rebuilt my box this weekend - anyone know how to force sc2 to install on a not-c-drive. i like the game, but i don't need it on my ssd....

isn't there a point during install where you have that option? I know it can be done, I installed it on a different drive on my first install for the same reason. (now it's on the ssd)

I think if you can't straight up set that as an option during install you can use something like steammover to move it over.

yeh, i havent been able to find the "instasll to the location" box for sc2 installer... off to the googles...

doe it *play* that much faster off of SSD? I put my OS on SSD and GOD DAMN IT FLIES.

yeh, i havent been able to find the "instasll to the location" box for sc2 installer... off to the googles...

doe it *play* that much faster off of SSD? I put my OS on SSD and GOD DAMN IT FLIES.

Almost anything you put on an SSD will clip along, dear god database response times from an SSD...GET ME A TOWEL.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Can you just drag it over?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    @kime yeh - the blizzard installer is brilliantly retarded. it will only install to c:, it doen't use the windows registry at all, so install, then copy the thing to my RAID.

I'm still astounded by the speed of the SSD. Windows logo only gets to cycle once on a bootup.

it seems faster to me. on this install I decided to put all my games on the ssd since really I don't install very many, I figure they can fit (and if it becomes an issue I'll move it)

• jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    So I exported the registry values from:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\Battle.net

and saved it as KafuEU.reg or KafuUS.reg when both email addresses were typed in.
    Then I have two batch scripts for launching the game, one for EU and one for US, that copies the right variables file and imports the reg data before launching the game. Works nicely. :)

Here's the EU one, the US one is very similar. Probably an easier way to do this but it's the fastest way I found to do it.
    @echo off
    copy /Y "c:\Users\<user name>\Documents\StarCraft II\Variables-enGB.txt" "c:\Users\<user name>\Documents\StarCraft II\Variables.txt"
    reg import "c:\Users\<user name>\Documents\StarCraft II\KafuEU.reg"
    "c:\Program Files (x86)\StarCraft II - EU\StarCraft II.exe"

What is the .reg file actually for? I've only ever changed variables.txt to get the region to work and its been fine.

edit: Oh I see. I use the same email for both regions, so it doesn't matter for me.

jaziek on
    Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • narwhalnarwhal monodon monoceros Registered User regular
    Ack. I specifically planned to visit my sister during the part of my vacation that was not during Dreamhack Bucharest so I could attend it, and then they moved Dreamhack to the weekend when I'll be away. Now not only will I not be able to go, I won't be able to see it either T_T
    Today has been a frustrating day.

Narwhal#1834
    edited September 2012
    woa woa woa...
    @Seguer
    yes, indeed, hell just froze over?

also, @narhwal
    ez solution: have your sister move to Bucharest. Worst case, invite her out to Bucharest for a calm weekend stroll with her little sis with no particular destination or intention in mind

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png

wra
This discussion has been closed.