Options

Old STEAM Thread

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    I had to restart Steam to fix that error.

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    So, I bought a couple of extra copies of X-Blades to give away.

I'll be up-front. This isn't a game to play when your mum is over. It's a pretty average 3rd-person action game where you hit things with swords that are also guns, and your character runs around in a battle costume that consists basically of a bra, thong underwear, and chaps.

Hardware requirements include "a lack of any shame"

But if you had absolutely no shame, you'd probably already own it.

So here's my "I would totally never pay money for a terrible game that relies on a horribly oversexualized main character to sell itself, but if someone gifted it to me I guess I'd have to play it to be polite" contest.

Look around your personal space and pick the one thing that you're kind of embarrassed to own, the doll NOT A DOLL IT'S A COLLECTIBLE FIGURINE" that made your significant other groan when she saw you buy it, your complete collection of Dragonlance novels, your signed copy of "Daikatana"... Whatever secret shame you are willing to confess.

Send me a link to a photo before I get home from work on Wednesday. (Around 6 PM PDT)

Edit: send via PMs please, rather than post to the thread.

The two worst entries win a copy of X-Blades, and possibly the sympathy of your fellow forumites.

baudattitude on
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Aaaaw. I kinda do want X-blades, but all the things I own that are shameful are digital download games only. Think I MIGHT have had a copy of bloodrayne at some point, but I don't so I guess it doesn't count.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    I'm not entering, but I can't stop laughing at the signed copy of Daikatana. If someone honestly has that, they deserve a little something extra.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    I have so many things I could photograph...

To me they're awesome but I rarely show them to people. Is there a limit on number of entries? I mean, if I have to choose between a giant poster of the Creepy Burger King King and a bust of Darth Vader wearing a Mario hat it might be tough.

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    XCOM demo is on steam now.

I think.

Maybe.

Outlook uncertain.

A3koOQbCAAAsoYK.png:large

Restarting steam should fix that.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    So, I bought a couple of extra copies of X-Blades to give away.

I'll be up-front. This isn't a game to play when your mum is over. It's a pretty average 3rd-person action game where you hit things with swords that are also guns, and your character runs around in a battle costume that consists basically of a bra, thong underwear, and chaps.

Hardware requirements include "a lack of any shame"

But if you had absolutely no shame, you'd probably already own it.

So here's my "I would totally never pay money for a terrible game that relies on a horribly oversexualized main character to sell itself, but if someone gifted it to me I guess I'd have to play it to be polite" contest.

Look around your personal space and pick the one thing that you're kind of embarrassed to own, the doll NOT A DOLL IT'S A COLLECTIBLE FIGURINE" that made your significant other groan when she saw you buy it, your complete collection of Dragonlance novels, your signed copy of "Daikatana"... Whatever secret shame you are willing to confess.

Send me a link to a photo before I get home from work on Wednesday. (Around 6 PM PDT)

Edit: send via PMs please, rather than post to the thread.

The two worst entries win a copy of X-Blades, and possibly the sympathy of your fellow forumites.

Aw, not sure I still have my Auto Assault collector's edition...

• Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    Bolthorn wrote: »
    Riokenn wrote: »
    So that SR3 best game ever 2011 video....

Holy shit I have to play more of that game!

Yeah, thanks to the video I downloaded the game over the free weekend and played it for awhile and had a blast. Went ahead and purchased it yesterday and played some more. The way my brain is wired though, I had to do all of the "go steal me this vehicle and bring it to the chop shop" missions immediately. Now I'm about to finish up the assassination missions, then I figure I'll keep going through the rest of the game. I would love if GTA games would be this playable on the PC. Seriously, the driving, flying, gunplay, hand to hand fighting. It all works so well.

Have you played Sleeping Dogs?

You should play Sleeping Dogs.

Just like SR2 and SR3 took the "wacky dumb humor" part of the GTA games and improved it immensely, Sleeping Dogs takes the "serious crime story" part of at least the more recent GTA games and does a much better job of it than GTA IV did.

It's also one of the gold standards of recent multiplatform PC ports.

• Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

To me they're awesome but I rarely show them to people. Is there a limit on number of entries? I mean, if I have to choose between a giant poster of the Creepy Burger King King and a bust of Darth Vader wearing a Mario hat it might be tough.

Those things are objectively great. Pretty sure the contest requires... Japan stuff. Or things with unironic Dragons.

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    vamen wrote: »
    I had to restart Steam to fix that error.

Woo, downloading the demo now.

Holy shit its 5GBs.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

Those things are objectively great. Pretty sure the contest requires... Japan stuff. Or things with unironic Dragons.

I think I have a bunch of VHS tapes of anime that I recorded off Cartoon Network back in high school. Anybody care about a bunch of out-of-order Tenchi episodes?

• Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    edited September 2012

I think I have a bunch of VHS tapes of anime that I recorded off Cartoon Network back in high school. Anybody care about a bunch of out-of-order Tenchi episodes?

Hmmm. Kinda practical. Do you have and Tenchi figurines?

Edit: In bikinis. Male or female is acceptable.

BrocksMullet on

• Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    EDIT: solved!

HiT BiT on
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular

I have the full set of Neca's TMNT figures (the color version) standing next to my desk. I also have the black and white version of the same set in it's original box. ;)

I don't want the game, though. I have enough games as it is.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular
    I ended up buying SR3 after playing the free weekend on Steam, and loaded it up last night to continue a little. "I'll just do a little exploring, and maybe check out the assassination missions. I'll be done in a hour." is what I said.

Three hours later, I realized I had to be up for work in 3.5 hours. I haven't had that happen in quite a while. I may have to ban myself from it until Friday night, lest I be a complete train wreck at work all week. Thanks guys.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    If I wanted a copy if X-blades, I would probably dig out my old copy of DOA: Extreme Beach Volleyball.

• Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    shdwcaster wrote: »
    I ended up buying SR3 after playing the free weekend on Steam, and loaded it up last night to continue a little. "I'll just do a little exploring, and maybe check out the assassination missions. I'll be done in a hour." is what I said.

Three hours later, I realized I had to be up for work in 3.5 hours. I haven't had that happen in quite a while. I may have to ban myself from it until Friday night, lest I be a complete train wreck at work all week. Thanks guys.

Enablement is what we do best!

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    Lawndart wrote: »
    Bolthorn wrote: »
    Riokenn wrote: »
    So that SR3 best game ever 2011 video....

Holy shit I have to play more of that game!

Yeah, thanks to the video I downloaded the game over the free weekend and played it for awhile and had a blast. Went ahead and purchased it yesterday and played some more. The way my brain is wired though, I had to do all of the "go steal me this vehicle and bring it to the chop shop" missions immediately. Now I'm about to finish up the assassination missions, then I figure I'll keep going through the rest of the game. I would love if GTA games would be this playable on the PC. Seriously, the driving, flying, gunplay, hand to hand fighting. It all works so well.

Have you played Sleeping Dogs?

You should play Sleeping Dogs.

Just like SR2 and SR3 took the "wacky dumb humor" part of the GTA games and improved it immensely, Sleeping Dogs takes the "serious crime story" part of at least the more recent GTA games and does a much better job of it than GTA IV did.

It's also one of the gold standards of recent multiplatform PC ports.

Sounds good. I will most likely bump this up the wishlist and keep an eye out for a sale.

This Saints Row 3 sale along with the free weekend came at just the right time. I haven't been able to dive into a game lately. Been playing a little MW:O, some CS:GO, and Tropico 4. But a lot of that seeemed like doing so just to play games. Need to do more Orcs Must Die 2 co-op, but that's not something I can force other people to do.

I will probably stay up too late playing some SR3 this evening and then feel terrible at work.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I can't even run X-Blades, probably. But if I wanted to show you my shame, i'd have to get my copy of Tony Hawk Ride out of my closet at my parents' house.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    If I wanted a copy if X-blades, I would probably dig out my old copy of DOA: Extreme Beach Volleyball.

DOA: Extreme Beach Volleyball: pretty shameful.

DOA: Extreme Beach Volleyball with the exclusive pre-order lenticular cover: a bit more shameful.

DOA: Extreme Beach Volleyball with one of the bikinis Tecmo sold on their site back around then, or a pack of the playing cards? SUPER shameful.

I quite liked the "collector's edition for a defunct MMO" someone mentioned, too, that just made me wince in sympathy.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »
    Sounds like I really need to play To the Moon. How long is it? Is it something i could finish in an evening or two and feel like I accomplished finishing a game? I've started Borderlands on the PS3 and Torchlight and Batman on the PC and I'm feeling like a small, bite-sized game might be a nice diversion.

As a side note: the first bonus level in Shatter is the closest I've ever come to being physically ill while gaming. There was something about the backdrop and motion of that one level that immediately turned my stomach. Super fun game, I just hope there aren't more levels that do that!

To the moon is a game that hovers around 4 hours.

It's also a game that will make you feel a knot in your throat at least a couple of times, while making you laugh at others. It's really a required experience, at least once.

I know that I will replay it at least another time, but later on. There are quite a few details that only make sense once you know the few twists and turns of later on. It all connects so well.

In short: do it.

Took me a little over six hours, but that was due to using mouse controls at first. You're better off using a controller.

Also, regarding the ending (REAL SPOILERS)
    Are they implying that we have been inside Eva's memory this entire time?

They sure found a way to hype you up for Episode 2.

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Sounds like I really need to play To the Moon. How long is it? Is it something i could finish in an evening or two and feel like I accomplished finishing a game? I've started Borderlands on the PS3 and Torchlight and Batman on the PC and I'm feeling like a small, bite-sized game might be a nice diversion.

As a side note: the first bonus level in Shatter is the closest I've ever come to being physically ill while gaming. There was something about the backdrop and motion of that one level that immediately turned my stomach. Super fun game, I just hope there aren't more levels that do that!

To the moon is a game that hovers around 4 hours.

It's also a game that will make you feel a knot in your throat at least a couple of times, while making you laugh at others. It's really a required experience, at least once.

I know that I will replay it at least another time, but later on. There are quite a few details that only make sense once you know the few twists and turns of later on. It all connects so well.

In short: do it.

Took me a little over six hours, but that was due to using mouse controls at first. You're better off using a controller.

Also, regarding the ending (REAL SPOILERS)
    Are they implying that we have been inside Eva's memory this entire time?

They sure found a way to hype you up for Episode 2.

Mega-Answer spoilers:
    I don't think it's a memory thing. I've heard theories which string a bit of things together.

Painkillers which belong to Dr. Watts are in the car, the fact that his HP is down in the 'RPG fight' sequence, and other things I can't remember.

So either he has a condition of which he tells no-one about and it was in real life, or slightly more far fetched: It's actually Neil's memory that we're going to be playing through in all the "episodes" until the grand reveal.

Also, the soundtrack is awesome: I got it long ago as part of some indie games OST bundle. It's so damn great. Even better: the lyrics to "Everything's alright" make lots of sense once you finish it. (I listened to it and the rest of the OST long before actually playing the game.)

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Anyone know when the typical next big steam sale would be? Thanksgiving?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Halloween will be a little sale (some years it's been decent, recently it's been pretty mild). Thanksgiving will be a big sale. The end of December will be a bigger sale.

Dehumanized on
  • Options

DOA: Extreme Beach Volleyball: pretty shameful.

DOA: Extreme Beach Volleyball with the exclusive pre-order lenticular cover: a bit more shameful.

DOA: Extreme Beach Volleyball with one of the bikinis Tecmo sold on their site back around then, or a pack of the playing cards? SUPER shameful.

I quite liked the "collector's edition for a defunct MMO" someone mentioned, too, that just made me wince in sympathy.

Here we go.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    I'm thinking back on the weird stuff I've got lying around, and I can't figure out what I should be ashamed about. Gameboy Camera AND Gameboy Printer? Boxed launch window copy of Star Wars: Galaxies (including the manual which describes a game that never existed, and triply so now)? Maybe... a copy of Harbinger (I really wanted to believe in Space Diablo okay)?

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular

Halloween will be a little sale (some years it's been decent, recently it's been pretty mild). Thanksgiving will be a big sale. The end of December will be a bigger sale.

Just offer a launch day/discount on Amnesia 2.

We are getting it in October right? Word's been quiet, but I'm really hoping here.

• Options
    bobwocobobwoco Registered User regular
    Thank you @Ashe for Jade Empire! I will punch people with fire in your honor.

Steam ID: wocobob
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    Is the Steam site down for anyone else?

Also, holy shit that Cortex Command game looks like fun. Is it only playable vs 3x AI's? Or can me and my friends wail on each other?

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    It has local multiplayer. I'm not sure if Data Realms is putting in online multiplayer or not, but I recall seeing a mod that added online functionality for an older build. So it's a good bet that if it's not officially supported it will be modded in.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Steam site is down for me too @mr_mich

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    It's back for me now; weird.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    why does the steam BPM advertisement have the silhouette of a dog and cat?

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Isn't looking at the TV up close usually what cats and dogs do? At least on TV shows?

Euphoriac on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    "Look at Branford II! Isn't that cute? He thinks he's one of the Models, Inc.!"

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    why does the steam BPM advertisement have the silhouette of a dog and cat?
    You mean you're not a dog or a cat?

Fuck, are most of the posters in the Steam thread humans? Am I one of the only animals? Is Steam's userbase not largely made up of dogs and cats?

You learn something new every day!

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    I'd rather see a silhouette of a cute dog or cat in front of a tv instead of some fat guy.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    I'm a sheep. I follow the Newell!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Four legs good! Origin bad!

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    My avatar on Steam is a sheep.

a9f2071fd4f8938026d0d515c37fd400ca3ea333_full.jpg

I originally had a castle (Castle Conwy, in north Wales), but I got bored of it. Oddly enough, the sheep in that photo is pretty much looking directly at the castle that was my Steam avatar previously.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
This discussion has been closed.