As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MMA]New thread is up!

1939495969799»

• Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    So Brendan Schaub has lost to 3 guys in the UFC.

Big Nog
    Big Country
    Big Ben

Tomorrow, he faces Lavar "Big" Johnson.

...I think you know where to put your money.

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    By the way, someone should probably start a new thread before the card starts tomorrow.

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Not every day you get to see backfist KO's man. He was out cold:

735272755.gif

Poor Mo

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Front kicks, back fists. Martial arts experience validated.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    I love how he caught Mo on the way down.

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    He was probably going for a choke, but then realized he was out and then helped him down.

:P

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    By the way, someone should probably start a new thread before the card starts tomorrow.
    I can make the new thread if no one else wants to.

I get off work in 6 hours. If no one has done it by then, I shall.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    He was probably going for a choke, but then realized he was out and then helped him down.

:P

That was my take, but it really does look like he is cradling him like a sleeping child :D

• Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular

Big Nog
    Big Country
    Big Ben

Real talk, this is what I based my pick off of the other day.

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Venkman90 wrote: »
    This ones for you Beel:

YqzzukF.png

Is that for real because holy shit

• Options
    Diego Nunez and some nobody Brazilian just got cut.

Mehs to these.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    A note on Nunes: If a guy calls himself "The Gun", but hasn't finished anyone in 11 fights, it's time for that guy to get a new nickname.

I mean, really...is there any other active fighter on the roster that hasn't finished one single fight in his entire Zuffa career? Not even Fitch can claim that one.

• Options
    Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    Man no good. If Nunes got cut I'm guessing if Bartimus doesn't win his upcoming fight he'll get cut as well.

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    I bet the UFC is very busy making fights right now.

Not many fighters are going to be refusing anything at the moment out of fear for their livelihoods.

mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    I'll go ahead and say that, personally, I wouldn't want my personal finances that I make as the president of a company to be misconstrued as the money the company itself uses to operate. They aren't the same thing.

Actually I'd say they're tangentially related. When the UFC is making what seems like record profits, and the money goes into the pockets of the President while the fighters who are the backbone of the company get cut, that does not look good in the court of public opinion.
    [Tycho?] wrote: »
    I bet the UFC is very busy making fights right now.

Not many fighters are going to be refusing anything at the moment out of fear for their livelihoods.

Or more fighters are going to refuse fights (via "injury") out of fear of losing and getting cut that way.

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    Punchy McFistPunchy McFist Registered User regular
    Mike Chiappetta points out that a company's president blowing millions while complaining about paying someone 66 grand is insensitive; Dana White basically responds with "lol why you mad pussy".

I wish Dana didn't feel the need to embody every internet tough guy cliche.

• Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    Dana White hates this conversation because it's about numbers. People start looking at numbers, they start wondering why Dana White can afford to blow a million gambling so casually. They start wondering just how much money he makes off his cut of Zuffa profits. They start wondering how big Zuffa's profits must be when they sell PPVs in the millions but consider $66,000 a fight too much to pay. Then they remember that Dana's cut of the profits is a mere fraction of the cut the Fertittas get.

Then they remember that since the dawn of time the fight game has been run by either gangsters or machine pols, and that gangsters and machine pols love monopolies, and that the UFC has no significant competition. They remember that other sports leagues with monopolies have antitrust exemptions. They remember that most every other major sport in the country also has a players' union that guarantees the athletes a certain revenue share. Then suddenly we're having a conversation that the UFC really doesn't wanna have.

So I predict that the subject will be changed as soon as the UFC can manage, because they're very good at changing the subject.

• Options
    Dana White hates this conversation because it's about numbers. People start looking at numbers, they start wondering why Dana White can afford to blow a million gambling so casually. They start wondering just how much money he makes off his cut of Zuffa profits. They start wondering how big Zuffa's profits must be when they sell PPVs in the millions but consider $66,000 a fight too much to pay. Then they remember that Dana's cut of the profits is a mere fraction of the cut the Fertittas get.

Then they remember that since the dawn of time the fight game has been run by either gangsters or machine pols, and that gangsters and machine pols love monopolies, and that the UFC has no significant competition. They remember that other sports leagues with monopolies have antitrust exemptions. They remember that most every other major sport in the country also has a players' union that guarantees the athletes a certain revenue share. Then suddenly we're having a conversation that the UFC really doesn't wanna have.

So I predict that the subject will be changed as soon as the UFC can manage, because they're very good at changing the subject.

Why would the UFC need to change the subject when their fans do it for them?

• Options

Well said. See Beel? This is how you make a point.

mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    [Tycho?] wrote: »

Well said. See Beel? This is how you make a point.

I'll make a note to draw a diagram for you when reaching the same point.

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    There's no way around it, the fighters are treated like shit in the UFC and the addition of health coverage doesn't really change that fact. Also, I find it alarming when someone closely involved with a sport gambles heavily. It's not much of a jump to start worrying about rigging fights/games.

• Options
    Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    It sucks man, sure a very small percent of fighters are making good money, and sure the low end guys make more than the low end boxers, but fighter pay just isn't what it should be and there aren't other legitimate options. Undercard guys make 6K for a loss, 12K for a win, and so many of them are working full time while fighting. Its stacked in the high end paid fighters favor a good bit too since the challengers are often working day jobs while trying to train, like what Carmouche is having to do, managing her own diet, strength, etc, while Rousey has a dietitian, strength coach, 4 different gyms she trains at and I'm sure top notch chiropractic and massage therapy care.
    It's just a shame fighters aren't taken better care of, especially with the sport doing so well.

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    I will take care of the fighters
    fitch doesn't have to be homeless now that he's unemployed
    he can come live with me
    I could use a new blanket and save on heating

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    he can come live with me

No man you need layers

Take Volkmann in too

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    B:L wrote: »
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    he can come live with me

No man you need layers

Take Volkmann in too

eww gross

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    It sucks man, sure a very small percent of fighters are making good money, and sure the low end guys make more than the low end boxers, but fighter pay just isn't what it should be and there aren't other legitimate options. Undercard guys make 6K for a loss, 12K for a win, and so many of them are working full time while fighting. Its stacked in the high end paid fighters favor a good bit too since the challengers are often working day jobs while trying to train, like what Carmouche is having to do, managing her own diet, strength, etc, while Rousey has a dietitian, strength coach, 4 different gyms she trains at and I'm sure top notch chiropractic and massage therapy care.
    It's just a shame fighters aren't taken better care of, especially with the sport doing so well.

WTF [Fighters Union]

I feel like I'm back in WoW, spamming [2. Trade]...

• Options

Big Nog
    Big Country
    Big Ben

I wouldn't be so sure. Johnson only beat Pat Barry cause Barry lacked the killer instinct.

• Options

Someone should start a new thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZj189MZp6c

Before shoes are licked.

• Options
    chael, hows taste my feet feet

• Options
  • Options
    Guy on the first Facebook fight missed weight by over 4 pounds last night. Geez, son.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F31vdn34GYM

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I found this video while trying to find Joe Rogan actually fighting an MMA fight. I'm sure video of that is on the internet. It's weird to see him teaching GSP, because while I know he knows how to fight and all about it I forget that he actually does that shit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOf50-5fb3E

I found this video so far of him knocking somebody the fuck out in a TKD competition

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_nyuuuJjh0&list=UUZOEywSEwg8YZcKMoI5mHgA&index=1

Magell on
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Probably Nick's best interview. Mainly because complete sentences and shit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=QUCxdXoJHQQ

ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    What are you on about, CW, "Know what I'm sayin'." has always been a complete sentence.

• Options
    MACHIDA VS HENDO. I am so incredibly excited for this fight. I think Machida will have a huge advantage, and could very well embarrass Hendo. As a Machida fan, this would please me. But Hendo is not the kind of fighter you can count out, and if he lands much of anything this could turn into a fight of the ages. So classic.

It'll be fun to watch Honda, but I think another quick armbar is the overwhelmingly likely outcome. You never know though!

Above all, I'll be very interested in how the introduction of women's MMA plays out.

mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    Hang tight bros, working on the new thread.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    I'm calling Machida by decision. Rampage is basically a younger version of Dan (can wrestle, but chooses to try and throw bungalows instead) and he couldn't put Machida down. I don't expect this fight to be any different, except that Machida will win.

I mean, really...has Dan changed his gameplan all that much since he fought Silva? If anything, he's gotten more headhunty and less technical. He's tough and Lyoto definitely isn't going to KO him, but Lyoto isn't going to try. He's going to stick and move, tire Dan out through 2 rounds of swinging for the fences and then, I honestly think he's going embarrass him a bit in the 3rd round. Not by trying or anything like that, but Dan will be dead tired and slow by then and it won't even be close.

Of course, there's always the chance that Dan just blasts him at some point. But that's something that could happen in any fight. Just the way MMA is.

• Options
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Thanks, Spectre. It might just be a thread, but I appreciate the effort.

Sadly, I wont be watching this live. Got the flu and I need sleep.

Machida-san round 2 flying side kick ko.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    Machida should win, unless Dan connects and Shoguns Machida into another world

vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]