Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

The [Youtube Thread]: Now Easier to Browse Than the Real Youtube

19293959798100

Posts

  • FalxFalx Registered User regular
    How It Should Have Ended : Terminator

    CanadianWolverineBluedude152N1tSt4lkerubuntuTrippyJingTankHammerBloody JackMugginsGoatmonSirEtchwartsVirgil_Leads_YouButlerRoyceSraphimmageormikeOghulk
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    the whole decoy spider thing is cool

    anyone know how to get puke off a laptop

    XB1/360 - Local H Jay
    PS4 - Local_H_Jay
    Sub me on Youtube
    And Twitch
  • FalxFalx Registered User regular
  • Ms DapperMs Dapper Cheers Luv! King's RowRegistered User regular
    So Glee is stealing from Jonathan Coulton now.



    tumblr_oj5c1nDyyk1sk79exo1_250.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by beroberos Sig by jawlipops
  • WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    Do you have a reason to think it's theft and not some kind of agreement?

    4SMZq.jpg
  • Ms DapperMs Dapper Cheers Luv! King's RowRegistered User regular
    ibvQppV26Rooqp.png

    tumblr_oj5c1nDyyk1sk79exo1_250.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by beroberos Sig by jawlipops
  • WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    haha, that's so shitty

    I hope he can get a chunk of that big time Glee money out of this

    4SMZq.jpg
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Oh wow, I figured Fox would have paid off coulton and given him an arrangement credit but NOPE.

    http://thenextweb.com/media/2013/01/18/foxs-glee-appears-to-have-copie-off-jonathan-coultons-arrangement-of-baby-got-back/
    On an upcoming episode, characters sing a smoothed-out version of Sir Mix-A-Lot’s classic “Baby Got Back”—a version that is, nearly note-for-note, the exact same arrangement that Jonathan Coulton released back in 2005.

    As one might expect, Coulton’s not exactly stoked about it. He says the show never even contacted him, and even tweeted that he’s pretty sure Glee actually used parts of his original recording (though he’s still looking for audio experts to prove that assertion). So far, there’s been no comment from Glee’s producers, but the evidence is pretty damning.

    that is unbelievable. They even kept the lyric "Johnny C's in trouble"

    A Dabble Of TheloniusCanadianWolverine
  • BlankzillaBlankzilla KOOKABUNGA LIVES Registered User regular
    Yeah that is goddamn ridiculous

    I was expecting it to be a "Oh okay these sound pretty similar" but holy shit no those are the same damn song

    All Along The Watchtower: A DCAU Podcast.

    HEY! I sell the digital codes from my comics every week! 1.75 a pop! PM me if you wanna know what's available!
  • ubuntuubuntu Registered User regular
    But since it is a cover already, would he even be able to bring a law suit against them?

  • BlankzillaBlankzilla KOOKABUNGA LIVES Registered User regular
    I would think so, since he arranged all of the music for his version and added some of his own lyrics which Glee also used.

    All Along The Watchtower: A DCAU Podcast.

    HEY! I sell the digital codes from my comics every week! 1.75 a pop! PM me if you wanna know what's available!
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    yeah, it's not just a cover

    it's a whole new arrangement and melody

    Goatmon
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    That is kind of a grey area.

    Arrangements don't really count for much. Although if they do figure out the used some of his audio he could be eligible for performance rights.

  • ubuntuubuntu Registered User regular
    Well if that is the case, Fox has good lawyers, if I were the dude who got ripped off by Glee, I would sue them for as much as I could get.

  • BlankzillaBlankzilla KOOKABUNGA LIVES Registered User regular
    All Along The Watchtower: A DCAU Podcast.

    HEY! I sell the digital codes from my comics every week! 1.75 a pop! PM me if you wanna know what's available!
    A Dabble Of Theloniusmonsterror
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Yeah, I was expecting "alright, it's an acoustic cover so I kinda see it" but literally the moment I clicked play it was just painstakingly obviously JoCo's version

    TankHammer
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »

    If you get them synced just right

    it just sounds like a strangely mixed song

    it is precisely the same

    same key, exactly the same tempo

    it's unbelievable.

    KanaCentipede DamascusLocal H Jay
  • BlankzillaBlankzilla KOOKABUNGA LIVES Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    That is kind of a grey area.

    Arrangements don't really count for much. Although if they do figure out the used some of his audio he could be eligible for performance rights.
    Would the fact that they use "Johnny C's in trouble" despite the original lyric being "Mixalot's in trouble" help his case at all.

    I mean it is the dude's name.

    All Along The Watchtower: A DCAU Podcast.

    HEY! I sell the digital codes from my comics every week! 1.75 a pop! PM me if you wanna know what's available!
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2013
    The glee "version" is up on itunes Sweeden now

    zerzhul on
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    #pipe wrote: »
    That is kind of a grey area.

    Arrangements don't really count for much. Although if they do figure out the used some of his audio he could be eligible for performance rights.
    Would the fact that they use "Johnny C's in trouble" despite the original lyric being "Mixalot's in trouble" help his case at all.

    I mean it is the dude's name.

    Not really, even with small lyrical changes it still counts as a cover. Mix-a-Lot is entitled to a songwriting credit and royalties (or whoever owns the royalties to that song), and it is good form to credit the arrangement, but they're usually not entitled to any royalty.

    I might be wrong on this, I am not a copyright lawyer (thank god) I am basing this information off my history as a working/recording musician

  • MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Media companies:

    Piracy is bad!

    Then they pull this shit, grr, makes me angry. At the very least, they could have given Coulton credit. I mean, this guy (at least used to) write songs for free (except the Portal ones), so I'd imagine he'd settle with just credit. They couldn't even do that.

  • GoatmonGoatmon Property of Amara_P Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Elders react to Happy Tree Friends

    Altered the url to stop embedding, becasue the preview image is NSFW (as is much of the video.)

    I wouldn't normally post HTF, but their reactions to it are hilarious.

    h ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAT5su_AhDQ

    Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204


  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    i was never a fan of happy tree friends, i never got why maiming care bear knockoffs was so funny

    most of that shit just makes me kinda queasy...

    XB1/360 - Local H Jay
    PS4 - Local_H_Jay
    Sub me on Youtube
    And Twitch
  • GoatmonGoatmon Property of Amara_P Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Yeah, I feel the same way. But I enjoy watching others watch it, apparently.

    Also, a guy has a conversation with himself from 20 years ago.

    Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204


    Shorty
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Flattop is one of the guys who, when I watched them in videos I downloaded a long long time ago, got me into popping in a huge way.





    TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
    facetiousShortyLocal H JayFirmus_PiettScolbertmageormikeOghulk
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    And if you're only gonna watch one, watch the first one.

    b1ehrMM.gif
  • GoatmonGoatmon Property of Amara_P Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Everything is better with Muppets.

    Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204


    AnialosTankHammerCanadianWolverine
  • RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Yeah, I needed another reason to hate Glee, I had been growing kind of apathetic to it at this point.

    Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Everything is better with Muppets.


    Yo real talk Forgetting Sarah Marshall owns bones


    Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
    Local H JayBlankzillaJayKaosAnialosTankHammerCanadianWolverineOghulk
  • ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »

    If you get them synced just right

    it just sounds like a strangely mixed song

    it is precisely the same

    same key, exactly the same tempo

    it's unbelievable.

    Every

    single

    note

    is the same. Like you can imagine them in the studio, and someone does a slightly different intonation on one line, and the producer just rips his headphones off and hurls them at the ground.

    "NO! NO! NO! EXACTLY like the JoCo version! EXACTLY! We are not COPYING him, we are BECOMING him! Videodrome! Praise the new flesh! Videodrome! Once more from the top."

    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    A new born baby's skin is still porous, you can just leave them sitting in a bucket of blood and they'll soak up what they need.
    Centipede DamascusGoatmonAnialosGatsbyAntimatterShortyGreasyKidsStuff
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    and now for something completely different


    edit: no politics today

    RoyceSraphim on
    JayKaosFranko
  • GoatmonGoatmon Property of Amara_P Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    #pipe wrote: »
    That is kind of a grey area.

    Arrangements don't really count for much. Although if they do figure out the used some of his audio he could be eligible for performance rights.
    Would the fact that they use "Johnny C's in trouble" despite the original lyric being "Mixalot's in trouble" help his case at all.

    I mean it is the dude's name.

    Not really, even with small lyrical changes it still counts as a cover. Mix-a-Lot is entitled to a songwriting credit and royalties (or whoever owns the royalties to that song), and it is good form to credit the arrangement, but they're usually not entitled to any royalty.

    I might be wrong on this, I am not a copyright lawyer (thank god) I am basing this information off my history as a working/recording musician

    While I don't know the legality of any of this, I really really doubt they can legally get away with selling the song on iTunes without even crediting Coulton for the cover.

    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204


  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Holy shit. Did his gun fuck up or what?

    Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Its amazing that the gun jammed

    p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    Anialos
  • FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-21103987

    Interior Minister Tsvetan Tsvetanov said the attacker tried to fire two shots but "most likely the gun misfired".

  • FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeat Registered User regular
    he was using some sort of gas gun
    that was bonkers

  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited January 2013

    Centipede Damascus on
    ScolbertShortyscherbchenImperatorXXVOghulk
  • FearghaillFearghaill If there is nothing but what we make in this world let us make goodRegistered User regular
    holy fuck

    for a brief moment I thought I was about to watch a guy get shot in the head

    Instead I watched a video of a savage beating (but not an undeserved one)

  • N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Goatmon wrote: »
    #pipe wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    #pipe wrote: »
    That is kind of a grey area.

    Arrangements don't really count for much. Although if they do figure out the used some of his audio he could be eligible for performance rights.
    Would the fact that they use "Johnny C's in trouble" despite the original lyric being "Mixalot's in trouble" help his case at all.

    I mean it is the dude's name.

    Not really, even with small lyrical changes it still counts as a cover. Mix-a-Lot is entitled to a songwriting credit and royalties (or whoever owns the royalties to that song), and it is good form to credit the arrangement, but they're usually not entitled to any royalty.

    I might be wrong on this, I am not a copyright lawyer (thank god) I am basing this information off my history as a working/recording musician

    While I don't know the legality of any of this, I really really doubt they can legally get away with selling the song on iTunes without even crediting Coulton for the cover.

    They probably just won't offer it as a single in the US, then. I'm not sure what the rules are with selling it on an international iTunes site. It's not in the US store.


    Also, that assassination attempt video was bizarre and shocking. Woah. I love that the guy had the presence of mind to smack the gun away when it misfired. I think I would have been stuck standing there in a panic at that point.

    N1tSt4lker on
This discussion has been closed.