As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Moving!

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    God, housing prices make me angry.

2000 sq ft cost us near 500K.

I live in a frozen wasteland.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    d-d-d-d-d-dayum

I'd say that's a pretty attractive house for 3000 square feet (is that counting the garage or....)

A lot of the big houses in Florida are... really ugly

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Ganluan wrote: »
    It's 3,000 sq ft, 4 bed with 2.5 bath. Tile through most of the first floor, granite counter tops and an engineered marble walk-in shower.

Total cost was $297,000, but we got in before prices starting heading back up so it would be roughly $340k now (which is still pretty damn cheap compared to 2006).

South? So cheap.

• Options
    I should get a 1% discount on housing for every day it is below -25C in the winter.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    That does not include the garage. Unless I'm mistaken sq. ft. readings only include "livable" areas, and the garage isn't considered part of that.

We live in a suburb of Phoenix, AZ.

I'm glad you guys like the exterior, we carefully chose the color and elevation and were really happy with how it turned out.

Ganluan on
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    American houses are huge!!

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    vsove wrote: »
    God, housing prices make me angry.

2000 sq ft cost us near 500K.

I live in a frozen wasteland.

I've basically given up on ever buying a house.

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    That is what happens when you don't live on a tiny little island, you can make a nice big house without it touching both coasts

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Liiya wrote: »
    That is what happens when you don't live on a tiny little island, you can make a nice big house without it touching both coasts
    I am in a Victorian terrace with four bedrooms and I tell you what it is a squeeze in the kitchen with four people living here!!

DRAMA my housemate, the guy of use three girls, asked me if I knew who was leaving the lights on overnight. It is of course Useless Housemate. She goes to bed at 4am. Same housemate who leaves dirty dishes for days on end, doesn't clean up and generally undoes all our maintaining cleanliness in the housemate. Boy Housemate said, "right, we need a housemate meeting, to iron out a few things" so we will on Saturday. Glad its not just me whos fed up of her shenanigans.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    guy of use three girls is bad english liiya

your people invented english and now the queen is going to be disappointed in you

The garbage disposal in my house's kitchen has stopped working apparently, which is great because the sink is full of some super gross shit because people just drop their dishes in the sink instead of taking 5 seconds to rinse each one off

Not even scrub it, somehow a quick rinse is too much work

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    i like not having housemates, I gotta say. I also like that this place is smaller than my last one. I felt a bit like I was rattling around and not using the space, and it made the evenings feel lonelier.

I still haven't been to the pub across the road. It's one of those places that have a heavy regular crowd and I'm gettin gscared that if I go in there they'll all be like hey "you're the chick from the house across!"

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Just start writing drink orders on big signs and putting them in your window.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Just start writing drink orders on big signs and putting them in your window.

that is
    pretty tempting

• Options
    I don't want to disappoint the queen :(

Honestly? I think I would like to live alone, or at lest with people who don't want me to spend time with them. Boy Housemate and Girl Who Is Nice Housemate are great, we chat and stuff, but Useless Housemate doesn't leave you alone and talks at you. If I lived alone I'd probably never get out though.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I should be moving at the end of this year or early next year (parents are retiring, selling the house we l ive in now)

I don't know whether I want a condo/apartment or a house.
    I really only migrate between kitchen, bathroom, bed, and computer desk, so the only reason I'd get a house is so that my cat(s - going to be adopting more after the move) have more room to play.
    But that also comes with the obligatory lawn/yard work, which I'm not really big on.

Indecision.

• Options
    you want a house

and then pay someone to landscape

i have been in a pretty decent range of condos and they pretty much universally suck until you get into a very very high price point

apartment. living. is. stupid. and condos are just apartments that you can't get out of

i will say this until you like it

• Options
    PS if you want a decent middleground between ownership and lack of obligation, some townhouse developments are pretty hands-free on building maintenance, so maybe consider that

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    yeah I have a townhouse condo and its great. monthly fees are some of the lowest I've seen in the area and yet everything maintenance/landscaping/snow plowing wise is taken care of promptly

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    There's a pretty universal rule that, the more detached a home is, the easier it is to sell.

Houses are easier than townhouses and duplexes, which are easier than apartments/condos.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Unless of course you live on an island nation with a crazy housing market and the cost of a 2br apartment in a complex is the same amount that Ganluan just paid for that house.

Then, apartment living might make some sense, you know, since you'd have to sell off your children jsut to get into a house.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    That's what we ended up doing, but a not very big outdoor area for only a bit further out.

My bike commute is around 30-35 minutes.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    If I wanted a house that I could afford I'd have at least a 1.5 hour commute into the city each way. Around where I am I could afford a pretty average 1 bedroom apartment. Dang Sydney.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Unless of course you live on an island nation with a crazy housing market and the cost of a 2br apartment in a complex is the same amount that Ganluan just paid for that house.

Then, apartment living might make some sense, you know, since you'd have to sell off your children jsut to get into a house.

Yeah, the property market here really suffers from capital gains on housing not being taxed, making housing a tax-free investment proposal. So every babyboomer with an income stream bought anything with a lick of value 2 decades ago, and property is wildly overpriced and out of reach for new entrants to the market, which is pretty much every generation subsequent to that.

If the government were to ever do something sensible, like tax capital gains on investment housing, then the market would probably go through a self-correcting contraction from the artificially inflated pricing - but doing so would alienate a huge swathe of voters, as everyone's house would suddenly devalue, annoying babyboomers, grey power and large portions of the middle class alike.

So it's a tax loophole that has been mercilessly exploited and could be simply and easily closed but would be political suicide for any part that attempted to do so.

And it still wouldn't resolve the fact that culturally we are opposed to high-density infill and city housing, the population has nearly doubled in the last 3 decades, and the deregulation on building consents that lead to the leaky homes fiasco.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    Taking a look at this one tomorrow.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Looks like I'll be moving in with my JESUS FUCK PHONE POSTING.

I'm moving in with my girlfriend soon! Some of her neighbours in her reasonably priced pet friendly apartment building are being evicted, so we'll be able to scoop up the one bedroom beauty in the perfect neighbourhood three blocks south of Whyte Ave, the local bar strip.

It's a liiittle further to work for me, which sucks, but not having to duck into the gfs apartment to feed pets will be great, and ill be saving between four and five hundred a month so my secret satanee this year should be very happy.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »

Yeah, the property market here really suffers from capital gains on housing not being taxed, making housing a tax-free investment proposal. So every babyboomer with an income stream bought anything with a lick of value 2 decades ago, and property is wildly overpriced and out of reach for new entrants to the market, which is pretty much every generation subsequent to that.

If the government were to ever do something sensible, like tax capital gains on investment housing, then the market would probably go through a self-correcting contraction from the artificially inflated pricing - but doing so would alienate a huge swathe of voters, as everyone's house would suddenly devalue, annoying babyboomers, grey power and large portions of the middle class alike.

So it's a tax loophole that has been mercilessly exploited and could be simply and easily closed but would be political suicide for any part that attempted to do so.

And it still wouldn't resolve the fact that culturally we are opposed to high-density infill and city housing, the population has nearly doubled in the last 3 decades, and the deregulation on building consents that lead to the leaky homes fiasco.

We have that here as well but we do have capital gains tax.

The real issue at least here, and I assume in New Zealand than us young people like to gloss over (although it is being less of an issue now) is that all of the investors who did it in the 70's and 80's did it because they had no super. It's literally their retirement money (unless you want to live off the government pension, haha!).

I joke that our only hope is to wait for those people to just die.

(You should have capital gains tax on all new transactions though, it'll recorrect all prices then at a far slower rate)

• Options
    Stale wrote: »

That looks nice, but not being a dick (this time) but isn't that a lot of stairs for you?

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    sounds like house buying is an issue for everyone everywhere as property values increase faster than ages do

and as you run out of space to plonk down something new

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    primary living room color

4c1f71e6-b208-40a8-bb1e-f84da18dbfb0_300.jpg

accent color

MPC00072013-2.jpg

the tan is very very similar to what the rest of the house is painted, maybe a hair darker, which is fine.

we had a hard time finding a blue that wouldn't be unbearable on our giant ass accent wall, so we headed toward the slightly greener shades

i kind of wanted an icy blue but it was hard to find one suitably dark enough for our needs

painters coming to set up tomorrow, should be done by saturday

• Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Stale wrote: »

That looks nice, but not being a dick (this time) but isn't that a lot of stairs for you?

it's a concern for sure. I'm going to evaluate it for a stairlift

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    I keep wanting to put photos up but our rooms just aren't there yet

once they're awesome I will post them

but for now here are some of our colors:

87858676-DE59-4FF7-9BE2-DAA77D64FFB0-3441-000008BD69633B63_zps806c3c00.jpg

hog bristle (full strength) is our main color in almost every room

heritage taffeta is the feature wall in our bedroom

and domain is on 2 feature walls in our guest bedroom

also this is the color for the walls in our games room:
    http://m.dulux.com.au/trade/colour/p/P38/253635/boathouse

and the color for a feature wall in our living room:
    http://m.dulux.com.au/trade/colour/p/P14/253753/camel-train

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Jasconius wrote: »
    primary living room color

4c1f71e6-b208-40a8-bb1e-f84da18dbfb0_300.jpg

accent color

MPC00072013-2.jpg

the tan is very very similar to what the rest of the house is painted, maybe a hair darker, which is fine.

we had a hard time finding a blue that wouldn't be unbearable on our giant ass accent wall, so we headed toward the slightly greener shades

i kind of wanted an icy blue but it was hard to find one suitably dark enough for our needs

painters coming to set up tomorrow, should be done by saturday

These are very similar to some colors we used in our house :)

• Options
    I had a thought so I went into Google maps and scaled off my first apartment (A 2x1) and compare it to our new house.

The kitchen/living area is bigger than it.

Not only is it bigger than it.

It's bigger by sixty percent.

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    I'm kind of delighted that there's a paint named "Hog Bristle."

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    Hog bristle?! It is a lovely color! I like the accent colors too!

I live in a 4000+ square foot 6 bedroom 3 bathroom house. Because my parents live in the middle of nowhere (relatively speaking) and property is pretty affordable. It is a nice house.

• Options
    holy shit a 6x3

whaaaaaaat

• Options
    MadEddy wrote: »
    I'm kind of delighted that there's a paint named "Hog Bristle."

it was even funnier when I thought it was "Hog Whistle"

• Options
    3EA4BF76-5462-48D5-B7E8-6FC6130FF4E9-879-0000009F2E4B5A39_zps5677f78f.jpg

Top right is the couch I'm sitting on (that cat is on my lap) and top left is looking into dining/kitchen area taken just now. And then some other random pictures

• Options
    Yesssss rosa pictures.

• Options
    Current situation on my lap

F489420D-894B-4216-BD46-42B910C60784-879-000000A16CCF775B_zpsd3313d90.jpg