Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Moving!

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    tl;dr tell that bitch to get a desk

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
    MadEddypooka
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    ...says the girl sitting on her floor

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
    Blake Tchrishallett83SkeithTefKarrde1842KwoaruLiiyaSassoripookaUsagi
  • Karrde1842Karrde1842 Registered User regular
    Craigslist can be a really good place to find decent furniture. Always people moving out needing to get rid of stuff.

• SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Karrde1842 wrote: »
    Craigslist can be a really good place to find decent furniture. Always people moving out needing to get rid of stuff.

Especially around the end of a semester if you're in a college town.

mts wrote: »
    heres how i see it being a total win situation for you
    1. stay with your wife while she dog sits. this wins husband points since she knows its out of your comfort zone
    2. have sex all over her friends house so that the next time you see her friend look at you condescendingly, you can wink back knowing you did the freaky deaky where she eats her cheerios.
    MadEddySassori
  • pimentopimento they/pim Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Craigslist seems a bit fancy. When I decided to replace my original TV stand (it was a cardboard box) I found a tallboy downstairs, kicked it apart and together with two old PC cases had myself a new entertainment unit. Pretty fancy.

I retired it when I moved here.. I upgraded to the bottom section of my old wardrobe. The top section is a drying rack in the back room.

pimento on
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    Also, since she sounds rather immature, you may want to make sure you have lockable storage for your valuable stuff, so she doesn't go off, get drunk and vandalize your shit.

Sassori
  • MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    You should probably do everything you can now to cover your ass/protect your stuff now, because she sounds like she has high roommate-from-Hell potential.

Do you have renter's insurance? (Does renter's insurance even cover acts of roommate? I should really check my policy, but I live with my sister and she's, like, extraordinarily sane.)

ruby-red-sig.jpg
    KwoarupookaSkeith
  • StaleStale Registered User regular
    Started looking for smaller places to see if I could find a 3bd/2ba that had the updates I would want.

YUP Really kinda digging this, plus the neighbors are far enough away to never, ever have to interact with them.

easysig2.jpg
    Naphtalitynicchrishallett83
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Null Registered User regular
    Stale wrote: »
    Started looking for smaller places to see if I could find a 3bd/2ba that had the updates I would want.

YUP Really kinda digging this, plus the neighbors are far enough away to never, ever have to interact with them.

holy shit that looks great

B.net: Naphtali#1830 | Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | PSN: EI-Naphtali | Wish List
    Skeith
  • SticksSticks Registered User regular

The real American dream: getting the fuck away from your neighbors/housemates/people in general.

mightyjongyoSassori
    All I'm saying is that if I could live in the back-country and still have a good internet pipe, no one would ever see me again

easysig2.jpg
    NaphtalitynicA Dabble Of TheloniusSkeith
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    a whole acre, good stuff

i want to see whatever badass lawnmower you get to mow it

Try EVE Online with my referral code, and I'll like you a little bit: https://www.eveonline.com/signup/?invc=86622db9-a6f9-41e8-b846-c305f625b55b
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    ok so I started this thread when I was prepping to move to England. it would be totally poetic if it ended with me prepping to leave england, but sadly life is not that fortuitous so instead I'm gonna try and put some pics of my NEW new apartment in before this is shut.

There's still a bunch of stuff I need to do (get rid of coffee table, hang more paintings, sell some random junk on ebay) but I've finally got rid of the most intrusive layer of my landlady's crap, so this is my downstairs

Pf1Oaed.jpg

FB6bSJb.jpg

(horrible carpet is not mine)

BZnPAe4.jpg

kitchen (v blue, small, dull):

koXDF0i.jpg

And this is the spare room/study/sewing room

aUpX8gp.jpg

(my bedroom needs some work before I'm willing ot let people see it).

It has a great view from the balcony which for some reason I have not yet taken a photo of. But here's a pic of the balcony itself from the day I moved in, with a bunch of drunken faceless assistants.

FfsM0y2.jpg

FyndirBrovid HasselsmofMadEddyAngelinalostwordsDis'LiiyapookaSkeithASimPersonchrishallett83
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    ok so I started this thread when I was prepping to move to England. it would be totally poetic if it ended with me prepping to leave england, but sadly life is not that fortuitous

Ouch

• SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    franziskaner? good taste

Q1e6oi8.gif
    tynicHoA-playerpooka
  • GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    We are 5 days from closing, we were cleared to close (after getting approval two months ago) , and now the lender is demanding last minute information. Why can't these guys manage this process in a normal fashion...

whelp, mah dog has ensured that i will not be getting my deposit back for my apartment

ate an entire square foot of carpet in a window of about 5 minutes

it's not enough to have 36 stuffed animals and 8 bones, no. he must eat 1000000% marked up apartment carpet

Try EVE Online with my referral code, and I'll like you a little bit: https://www.eveonline.com/signup/?invc=86622db9-a6f9-41e8-b846-c305f625b55b
  • chrishallett83chrishallett83 Hi! Registered User regular

This place looks pretty much perfect, except for those cupboards. Repaint over that 'distressed antique look' shit and it's a 10.

Ganluan wrote: »
    We are 5 days from closing, we were cleared to close (after getting approval two months ago) , and now the lender is demanding last minute information. Why can't these guys manage this process in a normal fashion...

Thanks to some scrambling we have managed to get what the lender wanted and should still be able to close on time. I'm relieved, but that was a shitload of stress over a 48 hour period trying to straighten everything out.

i had a pretty good closing experience... no last minute shit at all

surprised, really

• vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    Our banks have extraordinarily stringent lending requirements so while the pre-approval stage for the mortgage was hellish, I don't anticipate much happening past this point.

In other house news, they finally poured our driveway. Thank god, if I were stuck parking on the street for an entire winter I would have been a little unhappy.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    @tynic I'm sorry you're not enjoying England :(

Dawwww sorry @Liiya & @smof. It's not really England's fault.

... Well, apart from the weather.

Blake T
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Registered User regular
    Last year my wife and I finished up the interior work on our house and moved in with the plan to start doing the exterior work this summer & fall.

One thing we wanted to do was get a fence put up around the entire backyard.  So we get the survey done.  They come out, do all the checks and put in the flags and deliver us the survey documents.  It turns out our neighbors were drastically overestimating the size of their property.

We have the fence guys out a couple weeks later to mark out the fence lines for the permit application.

Our neighbor comes buy and tells us that we can't build the fence because it's too close to his shed and his pool.

I make a couple of calls to the city and it turns out he never applied for permits for his pool or his shed and they are both within about a foot of the property line and completely out of code on the setbacks.

Now do I just ignore him and put up the fence anyways or call the inspector back and have them make our neighbor move both of them?  The city said we can do either of them.

But I do know our neighbor is going to be pissed.  And he works for the city, so it's going to be a pain if we end up having the city pull an inspection on him.

• MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Last year my wife and I finished up the interior work on our house and moved in with the plan to start doing the exterior work this summer & fall.

One thing we wanted to do was get a fence put up around the entire backyard.  So we get the survey done.  They come out, do all the checks and put in the flags and deliver us the survey documents.  It turns out our neighbors were drastically overestimating the size of their property.

We have the fence guys out a couple weeks later to mark out the fence lines for the permit application.

Our neighbor comes buy and tells us that we can't build the fence because it's too close to his shed and his pool.

I make a couple of calls to the city and it turns out he never applied for permits for his pool or his shed and they are both within about a foot of the property line and completely out of code on the setbacks.

Now do I just ignore him and put up the fence anyways or call the inspector back and have them make our neighbor move both of them?  The city said we can do either of them.

But I do know our neighbor is going to be pissed.  And he works for the city, so it's going to be a pain if we end up having the city pull an inspection on him.

fuck him and his pool

ikbUJdU.jpg
    Twitter Steam Playstation- Mechaphiliac
    NaphtalilonelyahavazerzhulMadEddyElbasunuRainfallSkeithAngelinaAnialoschrishallett83KwoaruUsagiSporkAndrew
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Build yo fence! If he works for the city he should have known better and gotten a proper survey done

Magic Box
    Academician Prokhor "Phyphor" Zakharov, Chief Scientist of China, Provost of the University of Planet - SE++ Megagame
    lonelyahavazerzhulRainfallAnialoscabsyKwoaru
  • mightyjongyomightyjongyo Registered User regular
    I would say build it and let him talk with the city about how close his shed/pool are to your shiny new fence, which is on the actual property line and not the fictional one he made up when he build his shed and pool.

Then again I have a bit of a bad history with neighbors so you should probably not take my advice!

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister Registered User regular
    Yup, build that fence.

zerzhulMadEddyRainfallSkeithAnialoschrishallett83PeenKwoaru
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    America is where fuck the neighbors, those assholes

ikbUJdU.jpg
    Twitter Steam Playstation- Mechaphiliac
    Defend your property rights.

Burn down his shed.

easysig2.jpg
    chrishallett83Kwoaru
    Annex his shed and pool.

tynicNaphtaliAnialoschrishallett83
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister Registered User regular
    enfold his feeble lands into your own glorious kingdom. destroy everything that breathes and pile their skulls in a heap as a warning to all who would dare defy your awesome and terrible will.

• mightyjongyomightyjongyo Registered User regular
    Drop a deuce in his pool.

And his shed.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Build the fence. If he wants to fight it, he's going to have no legs to stand on.

• vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    In a situation like that

you need to go on the offencive.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
    MadEddyElbasunuASimPersonFyndirLiiyaBlake TzerzhulAnialoschrishallett83VivixenneDis'
  • Blake TBlake T Registered User regular
    There is literally no situation here where you shouldn't build that fence on the property line.

If you don't build it and some kid visits your house, they could access that pool and maybe drown. It also makes your house less secure and prevents you from having pets and stuff.

If you do build it, but you build it where he wants you to, you are denying yourself access to land you paid for. How is that fair?

The dude has gone and fucked up big time. I'd say go back to the council, get their finding in writing then go to your neighbor and tell him that you have checked with the council, and you are well within your rights to place the fence there. At this stage you might also want him to know that you didn't report him or anything but the fence is going up.

FyndirlonelyahavaKwoaruSkeith
    Or Metz' plan sounds good too.

I will add, that at least in Australia. There are laws in place, where if you can prove continued use of the property for a long period of time (I think it is 12 years) it legally becomes yours. So check that out as well.

• KamiroKamiro Registered User regular
    Ugh, my kitchen ceiling, right by the light fixture, is leaking water. I called it in to maintenance and my landlord on Saturday and still haven't gotten anybody in to fix it. I've got a pot in place to catch the leak, but that can't be good for the ceiling as part of it has already come down before about a month ago, probably due to the same water damage. I just want to yell at my landlord to fix the damn problem, but that probably wouldn't do anything.