As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Diablo] destroy the Rift Oculus, find Nephalem Rifts, id The Oculus

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    alright you know being a really good writer is tough

but it is not at all difficult to be a non-shitty writer

how we wind up with shit like D3's plot is beyond me

though YOU CANNOT JUDGE ME is still one of my favorite cutscenes basically ever

Writing at all for video games, especially they way they are developed at Blizzard, is a pretty different thing for writing for any other medium.

Kind of like writing for any medium!

Diablo 3 did not look very much itself at the end of production compared to the beginning of its production; neither did Wings of Liberty. This is, however, not a thing most people get to see. All they have is the finished product, and they go "man, it is not that hard".

But actually, it is pretty hard. Things get shuffled and cut and reworked, and often times you are dealing with an inability to re-record lines. So you have to fiddle with what you have and try to make it work. The first Zeratul Map in WoL had a line of dialogue removed and some dialogue shuffled that sucked the LIFE out of a conversation between Zeratul and Kerrigan, and made it much more generic sounding. To this day, I remain baffled as to why that line was changed.

But "it is not all that difficult to be a non-shitty writer" is flat out an ignorant statement, Shorty. Writing for games is a very, very bizarre process that varies drastically between studios, never mind how different it is from any other medium. I cannot stress that enough.

When I was working there, I was usually super jazzed and excited about how writing was going

and by the end of these projects, I was all "Man, really?"

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    d3's cutscenes are actually great

its everything in between that's just eh

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    here's how you could improve the story in diablo 3:

step 1: take the main story line script
    step 2: feed it into the shredder
    step 3: that's it diablo don't need anything besides end of act cutscenes

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    ban that hack metzen from writing anything ever again

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    corruption

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    its not a blizzard game if there isnt corruption

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Blizzard has some damn fine cutscenes

The end of Diablo 2 is fuckin' crazyballs

• Options
    metroid prime 3: corruption

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »

Writing at all for video games, especially they way they are developed at Blizzard, is a pretty different thing for writing for any other medium.

Diablo 3 did not look very much itself at the end of production compared to the beginning of its production; neither did Wings of Liberty. This is, however, not a thing most people get to see. All they have is the finished product, and they go "man, it is not that hard".

But actually, it is pretty hard. Things get shuffled and cut and reworked, and often times you are dealing with an inability to re-record lines. So you have to fiddle with what you have and try to make it work. The first Zeratul Map in WoL had a line of dialogue removed and some dialogue shuffled that sucked the LIFE out of a conversation between Zeratul and Kerrigan, and made it much more generic sounding. To this day, I remain baffled as to why that line was changed.

But "it is not all that difficult to be a non-shitty writer" is flat out an ignorant statement, Shorty. Writing for games is a very, very bizarre process that varies drastically between studios, never mind how different it is from any other medium. I cannot stress that enough.

When I was working there, I was usually super jazzed and excited about how writing was going

well now we're talking about the process of producing a video game

that's a different thing

like, there is no reason that a halfway decent writer looking at any line of dialogue in D3 would say "yeah this is acceptable"

and I get that developing a game is a complicated thing with lots of moving parts

but what you'll note is that I did not say that it isn't hard to make an unshitty game

it's super hard to make even a mediocre game

but what you seem to be suggesting is that we should accept bad writing because, hey, games are hard to make

and that seems bogus to me

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular

that's a different thing

like, there is no reason that a halfway decent writer looking at any line of dialogue in D3 would say "yeah this is acceptable"

and I get that developing a game is a complicated thing with lots of moving parts

but what you'll note is that I did not say that it isn't hard to make an unshitty game

but what you seem to be suggesting is that we should accept bad writing because, hey, games are hard to make

That's not at all how working with other people works. Especially if your title is "Writer" and not something like, say, "Producer" or "Lead Designer" or "Chief Executive Officer" or "Director of Operations" or something else super fancy that implies that you get decision-making power while everyone else basically has to put up or shut up.

• Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    Diablo 2 said more about the world, the player characters, and the supporting cast with one tenth the dialogue Diablo 3 has.

}
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Having played D2 long after it's heyday, I would describe the story as presented in the game as "ehhhh"

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Jephery wrote: »
    Diablo 2 said more about the world, the player characters, and the supporting cast with one tenth the dialogue Diablo 3 has.

Arrogant nephalem, my servants will feast on your pride as they devour your flesh!

• Options
    edited March 2014

that's a different thing

On the contrary! I think you should be really vocal and have every right to be upset that writing in ANY game is bad!

What I'm saying is that it is NOT easy to write something "non-shitty". Because even if you start out with something that's totally balls to the wall fuck-you awesome, the process of AAA game development is so disjointed and iterative that it is really actually rather hard to make sure that it doesn't get diluted or warped into mediocrity or even reall dog-shittiness

and the culture at Blizzard definitely doesn't have a ton of space for the kind of revision and reworking that minor, cumulative changes to the writing require to prevent the quality of it from degrading. It's MUCH harder than in other media.

My issue is that you were like "it should be easy for this not to suck donkey balls" and I'm saying "Well, it isn't".

Edit: See, like, you're saying it in this post too. "That's a different thing"

Well, yeah, Game writing is technically different from game development

but they are so intertwined that the latter has a big impact on the former

and at a company like Blizzard (as compared to say, bioware), writers don't always have the freedom, leeway, or clout to fix things that go awry.

Which sucks, and I hate it!

But it definitely makes their jobs harder.

Again, this is not to say that we should be content with shitty writing.

Merely that painting it as "easy" to fix is an ill-informed opinion.

sarukun on
  • Options
    I cannot stress enough that it is critical to be super fucking mad whenever a game's writing is shitty.

Shrugging and going "video games" is the most frustrating response to bad writing in the woooooooooooooorld.

• Options

that's a different thing

On the contrary! I think you should be really vocal and have every right to be upset that writing in ANY game is bad!

What I'm saying is that it is NOT easy to write something "non-shitty". Because even if you start out with something that's totally balls to the wall fuck-you awesome, the process of AAA game development is so disjointed and iterative that it is really actually rather hard to make sure that it doesn't get diluted or warped into mediocrity or even reall dog-shittiness

and the culture at Blizzard definitely doesn't have a ton of space for the kind of revision and reworking that minor, cumulative changes to the writing require to prevent the quality of it from degrading. It's MUCH harder than in other media.

My issue is that you were like "it should be easy for this not to suck donkey balls" and I'm saying "Well, it isn't".

Edit: See, like, you're saying it in this post too. "That's a different thing"

Well, yeah, Game writing is technically different from game development

but they are so intertwined that the latter has a big impact on the former

and at a company like Blizzard (as compared to say, bioware), writers don't always have the freedom, leeway, or clout to fix things that go awry.

Which sucks, and I hate it!

But it definitely makes their jobs harder.

Again, this is not to say that we should be content with shitty writing.

Merely that painting it as "easy" to fix is an ill-informed opinion.

it's easy the same way that fixing, say, systemic injustice is "easy"

like, it's not usually all that hard to find what's wrong and point at it

what is really ridiculously hard is actually getting the right people to do something about it

it's like collaboration is hard or something

weird

• Options
    Okay, well, that's the only point I took issue with, the rest of what you said is pretty spot on.

I actually think that the "tent pole" process of writing more-or-less immutable scenes that take months-to-years to generate cut scenes is part of the problem with Blizzard games, and I am pretty sure that they are the only things that Metzen is really heavily involved in writing any more.

But that's a theory, I actually don't know how deep into the creative side he really is any more. I know he didn't write much in-game dialogue for D3.

• Options
    yeah well I mean the post you took issue with is something I said out of hand, just bitching about something that peeved me in something I really otherwise enjoy, so

not exactly the most worthwhile opinion even in the best case

• Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    Jephery wrote: »

Arrogant nephalem, my servants will feast on your pride as they devour your flesh!
    lmfao if he gets beyond saying nephalem when you're fighting him

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    A guy I worked with in QA became a writer a little bit before I left.

Conversations with him about his job were really interesting, he taught me a lot about what an unusual thing writing for video games is.

• Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    arrogant nephalem
    ENOUGH
    Arrogant nephalem
    ENOUGH
    Arrogant Blaaaaarggghhh

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    Zoltan Kulle: Oh man you guys got my body back? SWEET, I'll totally get that Black Soulstone for you!
    Leah: Okay, we'll resurrect you, but you're not gonna betray us, are you?
    Kulle: What? Noooo, that's crazy! I'm totally not gonna betray you!

• Options
    zoltun kulle is the hero sanctuary deserves

• Options
    30 seconds later:

Kulle: Ha ha, PSYCHE

• Options
    kulle is the only really honest person to you besides tyrael and leah that wasn't an idiot

"you're walking into a giant trap. lets you and me be gods instead. it'll be great! we'll have taco tuesdays!

MWUAHAHAHAHAHAHA"

• Options
    I think the delivery of Zoltan Kulle was hamtastic

but in terms of themes, guy who gets fed up with bullshit, flips the coffee table and gives the middle finger to everybody on his way out is really one of my favorite tropes.

• Options
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Zoltan Kulle: Oh man you guys got my body back? SWEET, I'll totally get that Black Soulstone for you!
    Leah: Okay, we'll resurrect you, but you're not gonna betray us, are you?
    Kulle: What? Noooo, that's crazy! I'm totally not gonna betray you!

the joke is you kill kulle for trying to point out you're being betrayed by adria

you're the jerk, its you nephalem

• Options
    I mean, Kulle is kind of a loose canon, and I really don't think he would rule over humanity as a benevolent dictator. Plus being dead for hundreds of years probably didn't do much for his sanity. I'm not shedding any tears for the guy, he pretty much immediately tries to kill you because he sees you as a pawn of the powers he's fighting, and I'm not a huge fan of "Join me or die" types.

• Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    Kulle actually had a super sweet afterlife going on before he was forcefully ressurected. So, you know, just taunting everyone cause what're they gonna do, kill him again?

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    I mean, Kulle is kind of a loose canon

Was this intentional?

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Kulle is basically the best part of diablo 3
    30 seconds later:

I did a full run through of the game when loot 2.0 came out last week or whatever, and I tried to pay attention to this part to try and actually understand what happened

and it seems like:
    you get his body back
    he says some kulle stuff
    you say yeah okay whatever man
    the stone starts pulling in demon souls and kulle is all oh shit it is pulling in demon souls what the hell
    then, as a nonsequitor, kulle invites you to rule the world like he has been the whole time he was just a head in your bag?
    and you call him a crazy asshole, like you have been the entire time he was just a head in your bag?

and at this point one of two things happens: either Kulle decides that, after basically holding up his end of the bargain (or at least never saying he won't give you the stone), he doesn't have to take that kind of shit in his own home and attacks you OR you decide that he's such a crazy fucker that you'll have to kill him anyway so why not do it now without even first trying to see if you can just take the stone and go

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Radius wrote: »
    I mean, Kulle is kind of a loose canon

Was this intentional?

Hahahaha, no, but I'll leave it.

• Options
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    30 seconds later:

I did a full run through of the game when loot 2.0 came out last week or whatever, and I tried to pay attention to this part to try and actually understand what happened

and it seems like:
    you get his body back
    he says some kulle stuff
    the stone starts pulling in demon souls and kulle is all oh shit it is pulling in demon souls what the hell
    then, as a nonsequitor, kulle invites you to rule the world like he has been the whole time he was just a head in your bag?
    and you call him a crazy asshole, like you have been the entire time he was just a head in your bag?

and at this point one of two things happens: either Kulle decides that, after basically holding up his end of the bargain (or at least never saying he won't give you the stone), he doesn't have to take that kind of shit in his own home and attacks you OR you decide that he's such a crazy fucker that you'll have to kill him anyway so why not do it now without even first trying to see if you can just take the stone and go

I kind of think it's both at once.

Like I said, he feels like you're serving the Angels because of Tyrael, and you're dumb enough to be duped by Adria, AND you're preeeeetty powerful so just better to be safe and eliminate any competition from the get go.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    no he says "you have been deceived, ignore those fuckers and join with me so we can rule the galaxy together!"

so even if he's right it's still a big conflict of interests in that he's a madman whose goal is world domination

• Options
    30 seconds later:

and it seems like:
    you get his body back
    he says some kulle stuff

Like I said, he feels like you're serving the Angels because of Tyrael, and you're dumb enough to be duped by Adria, AND you're preeeeetty powerful so just better to be safe and eliminate any competition from the get go.

See that makes a fair enough amount of sense

I feel like I would have liked it if Kulle had a line or two that connected those dots though, because in practice it just seems like you and kulle both just went "fuck it this sure looks like a boss room I guess we better kill each other"

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Jars wrote: »
    no he says "you have been deceived, ignore those fuckers and join with me so we can rule the galaxy together!"

so even if he's right it's still a big conflict of interests in that he's a madman whose goal is world domination

Yeah that's what he says, but that isn't a thing to fight about and the writing doesn't do a particularly good job connecting that to his previous thought ("hey the somebody putzed with the stone/souls")

Oh I'm being fucked with? Well how about you let me handle that, just pass the stone over and I'll be on my way

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    I wouldn't know because spacebar

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    30 seconds later:

and it seems like:
    you get his body back
    he says some kulle stuff

See that makes a fair enough amount of sense

I feel like I would have liked it if Kulle had a line or two that connected those dots though, because in practice it just seems like you and kulle both just went "fuck it this sure looks like a boss room I guess we better kill each other"

Minor details like that that really pay shit off in a big way seem to get lost in development all the time in Blizzard games.

and now we're full circle.

• Options
    I don't mind Kulle's motivations per se

It's just man they reaaaaaallly make it obvious that you're gonna fight him

• Options
    Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    I never got the impression that my character ever thought anybody besides himself was ever going to get anything done besides betrayal and failure.
    It's not like I didn't successfully solve all the problems with my axe in the end, so why spoil everybody's drama?

mkc.png
This discussion has been closed.