Due to a security update, you may have to reset your password. Don’t panic, nothing has gone wrong and your password is safe. If you don’t have access to that email, send Tube a message at [email protected] More info here: https://status.vanillaforums.com/incidents/2zdqxf3bt7mj
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Where No Man Has Gone Before, Episode 1, "Pilot": Scene 2, Onboard the USS Anansi

2456710

Posts

  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    haha, yes!

  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Ensign Sv'ral remembers the story going around during her third year at the academy that the ship was actually renamed Odysseus in honor of all the strange ass that the wayfaring King of Ithica managed to notch on his belt during his long sojourn home from Troy.

    Shortly after reporting for duty, she overheard a human ensign boasting to a coquettish yeoman that someday a ship would be renamed in the honor of his sexual prowess, too. She thought she heard him say his name was Julius something. Oh, pink skins....

    SammyF on
    Dex Dynamo
  • Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Ensign Steele assumes "Odd-issius" was some kind of alien. Never had no classical education.

    Dongs Galore on
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Danson.jpg
    Captain Jax Danson's log. Stardate 37415.8. The USS Odysseus continues its voyage of discovery across the stars, carrying the best and brightest Starfleet Academy has to offer. Our mission--to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go...

    Where No Man Has Gone Before
    Tonight's episode: Pilot


    We open on a fairly standard day on the starship Odysseus, as it undertakes a routine reconnaissance mission around the unique Scarpulus system. Your characters are going about their days as usual, when the crackling, inoffensively British voice of A.S.S.I.S.T. comes on the communicator.

    "MESSAGE: Arriving at the Scarpulus system. FACT: The Scarpulus system remains one of the only double X-Ray Binary Systems in the known universe. This creates a bevy of unusual gravitational effects that require regular study by StarFleet vessels. A.S.S.I.S.T. estimates these phenomena are the reasons why the Odysseus was chosen for this mission. A.S.S.I.S.T. would be happy to answer any additional questions Ensigns may have, and, as always, is available to see to any of your Sustenance, Support, or Informational needs. Thank you."

    If you choose to access a viewscreen, this is what you see.

    ENSIGNS: What are you doing in the moments before A.S.S.I.S.T. comes on the speakers? Basically, this is your character's first time onscreen--what is he or she up to? And how does he or she react to A.S.S.I.S.T.'s message? Narrate your actions, and, if you think it's necessary to roll a skill related to your action, go ahead and roll it. Use your best judgement, this is fairly open-ended.

    A note about the Odysseus: As a Constitution-class vessel, she is fully stocked with all of the amenities a bored Starfleet officer could ask for: Lounge, Holodeck, fully stocked game room, shooting range, bowling alley, gymnasium, and communal dining hall. Crew quarters are shared between four people in two-bedroom apartment style arrangements (two bedrooms, one common room, one bathroom). Beds can be arranged in bunk form or separately. Junior-grade officers and higher receive their own quarters.

    Dex Dynamo on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Ensign Claymore was always fond of myths and legend, and he thinks that the Odysseus is a grand name for a grand ship. He's proud to serve! He would also like to say, in his defense, that the USS Claymore sounds pretty cool and if effort equals reward then it's long past due.

    Anyway, when ASSIST comes on the comm, Ensign Claymore is almost certainly in the lounge if he's not on duty, enjoying something non-alcoholic (he might be needed for decisive action at any time!) yet also classy, because he's cool like that. He is reading a datapad with the latest newsfeed on it, Claymore likes to keep up to date with what the Federation and it's allies are up to, you never know when it might come in handy! He's a tall man, dark haired, clean shaven and handsome, and he wears the yellow and black uniform of Starfleet like he was born in it.

    The scientific elements of the Scarpulus system are beyond him, but he makes a mental note that the anomalies exist. Also that the view in the screen is rather beautiful, and could make for good scenery for a date should he get the chance. After all, there are a number of attractive fellow junior officers on the Odysseus that he hasn't had the chance to get to know yet...

    "ASSIST, Are there any population centers in the Scarpulus system? Research stations, mining colonies, anything like that."

    Solar on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Also hey Dongs Galore, what do you reckon to the idea that Claymore and Steele already know each other, and are buddies? They seem like the type of manly men that would hang out together.

  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    A month into their rotation aboard USS Odysseus, as the initial excitement of their first post-academy posting wore off, a shipmate groused during a weekly poker game over the meager wages of junior officers that the only thing she'd learned since reporting for duty was that standing watch aboard a starship is boring. Ensign Sv'ral understood the security officer's point; it's true that to date they had rescued exactly zero princesses, had wrestled with nothing more dangerous than a series of poor decisions involving a smuggled case of illicit Romulan ale and hadn't fired up anything more powerful than the long range sensors.

    Still, Bethran couldn't disagree more. While the Communications Department aboard ship didn't command the same reputation for daring as the Security Department or the flair of the Engineers, it did have its own perks. A helm officer or a navigator was stuck for eight hours every day with the same chair under his backsides and the same console beneath his fingers, but her own duty station afforded her the unique opportunity to listen to the universe outside the bulkheads. During the early hours of the third watch on Stardate 37415, for instance, Ensign Sv'ral found herself seated on the bridge, listening to the spectral-sounding subspace distortions caused by the unique radiation patterns of a pair of binary stars. On the orders of the Officer of the Watch, she had begun a timestamped audio recording of the bizarre background noise as they neared the Scarpulus system. An astrophysicist could have studied the radiation in this system by sending an unmanned probe, Bethran knew, but only an explorer could tell you that it made her think of two ancient men whispering in a language only they shared.

    A light flashed on her console: the computer had detected a long range communication on a civilian subspace channel. Ensign Sv'ral quickly switched over to the proper frequency in anticipation of a possible distress signal. But it was only the captain of a Tellarite freighter broadcasting to wish a person whom Bethran took to be the captain's son a happy birthday. Bethran paused to listen to the gruff tones as the captain's message slipped into a traditional song about the thickening of one's fur and the cutting of one's teeth, and for a moment she was a child again on her father's lap while the two watched the sun climb over the tundras of Andoria as they greeted her own birthday. Was it her sixth? Bethran couldn't remember. But she remembered the morning's chill and the sunlight glistening across the ice and her father's soothing voice in her ear as he mumbled a private song of celebration.

    The crackling voice of the ship's A.S.S.I.S.T. system announced their official arrival in the Scarpulus system, and Bethran blinked herself back into the present as she switched back to the narrowband frequency. She preferred the whispering ghosts of interstellar phenomena to the ghosts of her own past, and in any case, while the universal translator could instantly translate exotic lyrics with perfect accuracy, it couldn't do anything to improve upon whatever it is that Tellarites call music. She wondered if that bored security officer would give her a chance to win some of her money back when the shift ended; Bathren Sv'ral was suddenly in the mood for some company.

    SammyF on
  • jdarksunjdarksun Scion of Chaos Registered User regular
    Oops, meant to post this yesterday.
    SammyF wrote: »
    jdarksun wrote: »
    I'm really digging some of the general themes in the crew's background. Also feeling like mine is a little anemic when compared to the rest, may have to expound upon it a bit.
    You're certainly more parsimonious with your background but I don't think I'd call it anemic.
    I'm not going to lie, the word use in this sentence makes me a little giddy.
    SammyF wrote: »
    Here's something I noticed when I was deciding what species to roll: it is incredibly hard to think up an interesting character background for a Vulcan. What does he desire? Nothing, because desire is an emotion. What does he fear? Nothing, because fear is an emotion. What does he hate? Nothing, because hate is an emotion.
    I think Vulcans have this dirty little secret where emotions effect them way more than they let on. Spock is only half Vulcan, but his whole motivation for joining Starfleet is emotional - he turns down his admission to the VSA because of a perceived insult. Tuvok quits Starfleet because he felt like an outcast (...and because he didn't want to be there in the first place), which is an emotional response. T'Pol has a formative emotional experience when listening to jazz. Kalelothran (...which sounds more elvish than vulcan every time I type it) can rationalize joining Starfleet as being a better opportunity, but having aspirations of personal grandeur is emotional - as is wanting to differentiate one's self from one's peers.
    SammyF wrote: »
    I totally dig the concept of a Vulcan who was only scored in the 97th percentile on his Starfleet Academy entrance exams and was thus only suited for a career as a janitor or a frycook if he'd stayed on his homeworld. And the idea of this guy running away to join Starfleet because he couldn't reconcile himself to an ignominious life on Vulcan tacitly suggests that he hasn't quite mastered the emotion of pride just yet. It's a really interesting character idea.
    Thanks! I like the idea, and wouldn't revise that part of it. I might go into more detail on his first assignments (well I might have before the game started).
    SammyF wrote: »
    EDIT: Also just noticed that we have three redshirts and only one blue shirt with no science officer.
    Kale is trained in Knowledge, and arguably better suited to be a Blue Shirt / Science Officer than the helmsman, though that's certainly not his preference. He'll probably fill in there as needed.

    (( OOC: @Dex Dynamo Is the Odysseus the sort of vessel that would have an Ensign at the Helm/Conn, like on ENT, VOY, and (sometimes) TNG? Or would it be more likely that Kalelothran would be staffing Navigation? ))

  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Good question! As part of its aggressive hands-on learning platform, Captain Danson has arranged that all major ship operations be handled primarily by Ensigns, with senior officers on hand in case of emergencies, but otherwise simply observing. A textbook is fine and dandy, but a control panel's where you LEARN, he would say. In fact, this platform has gotten Jansen a fair bit of controvesy with Starfleet. However, there haven't been any incidents (yet), and students and faculty both respond very positively to the arrangement.

  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Julius Claymore
    A.S.S.I.S.T. chirps in directly to your datapad; as you're painfully aware at this point, the computer's communications relay is wirelessly connected to every piece of personal electronics on the ship, such as to maintain intimate access to every person onboard.

    "REPLY: Negative. Gravitational anomolies prevent any permanent residence from safely residing in the sector. However, its relative proximity to both Federation and Ferengi territory--as well as the potential for temporal distortion if a vessel were to fly close enough to a black hole--means it is regularly used as a shortcut by all manor of mercantile, military, and black market vessels. My records indicate black market vessels are frowned upon by the Federation. Is that--"

    Suddenly the sound changes. Warbled, like you're hearing just one fragment of an echo long-past. A.S.S.I.S.T.'s voice is now gravelly, swarthy, and backed by a faint, howling wind.

    "--where we shall make our stand! We shall claim this vessel as ours, be it by law or by blood! We are legion! We are mighty! And when this war is over, WE SHALL BE UNSTOPPABLE!"

    "REPEAT QUERY: My records indicate black market vessels are frowned upon by the Federation. Is that correct?" A.S.S.I.S.T.'s voice resumes, having not missed a beat.

    Make a Knowledge check.

    Bathren Sv'ral
    You sit, listening to this Tellarite birthday greeting for what seems like hours. Your mind drifts, but you can still hear the bizarre, translated music faintly in the background.

    "May the fangs of your lower jaw--Hello, is anyone there!? Hello, this is--the juices of the Sabrak Whale
    May your beard touch the tip of the horizon at the--repeat, Galorus Straam, captain, USS--
    know the succulent flavor of the canine
    May your child--sending out a distress signal--debates be sound and free of--"

    You flip back to the narrowband frequency, dreaming of teaching that foolhardy Tiburonian officer a thing or two about poker. It takes you a moment to realize what you heard--or what you think you heard, maybe misheard, could have been a gravity anomoly. You flip back, but it's just background noise. There has to be a signal somewhere...

    You may attempt an Engineering check to recover the signal.

    Dex Dynamo on
  • jdarksunjdarksun Scion of Chaos Registered User regular
    On the bridge, Ensign Kalelothran's fingers fly over the helm's control interface. He checks the readout, discards the results, and enters a dozen new inputs. "X-ray binary systems could be a microquasar. ASSIST, are there any radio emissions? Maybe we're here to to study relativistic jets." He pauses to briefly access the viewscreen, but doesn't wait for a response before charging ahead. "ASSIST, what are the accretors for this system? If their mass is great enough, we could potentially use their gravitational pull to a defensive advantage." More taps. "Though if we lost propulsion, we don't want to be particularly close." Another pause to check the display. "Fascinating."

  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    (all right, I'll be able to make this post and possibly one tomorrow. I'm going to be out of town tending to some family matters and will be again available Monday night. Hopefully this doesn't affect things too much)

    Ensign Featherwell touches some of the monitors at the security station, keeping on people off their shifts, as well as various crew going about their usual activities. She's trying her hardest to stay awake, things have been interesting, but not the fascinating assignment she was hoping for. The headset she's wearing buzzes with comm chatter from all over the ship. Odysseus? This ship would've been more appropriately the Dionysus from the altercations she's had to intervene. Two scuffles in the canteen and more cases of inappropriate conduct than would have preferred to have seen. Still, better to be able to help than stand idly by and do nothing.

    As A.S.S.I.S.T. pings the comms about their destination, she submits a request.

    "A.S.S.I.S.T., have there been any recent non-Federation movements through the system that have been tracked?"

    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Knowledge and Intellect, one presumes. No bonuses there, haha! I roll a 12 overall. How average.

    Ensign Claymore frowned at the datapad. Unless he was imagining things, and he never was, ASSIST either experienced an pretty hefty glitch, another Ensign had hacked his pad in order to play a little joke on him, or something more serious was going on. He didn't really know the technicals about how ASSIST worked, but maybe he could find someone who did. In the meantime though, staying cool and trying to find out more.

    "Well, obviously black marketeering breaches Federation Law, and also shows a degree of profiteering which is not suitable for an advanced civilization like ours (exposition!). ASSIST, could you run through the last, say, ten seconds of your communication with this pad? Replay, please. Also, are there any records of ship to ship conflict in the Scarpulus system?"

    Standing up, Claymore nodded at the barman, and walked towards the lift heading towards the bridge. He was due there on duty soon anyway, and perhaps some sort of techie would be hanging around that he could question on ASSIST's odd behavior.

  • Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Freshly off-duty, with no emergent engineering emergencies on arrival, Ensign Steele strides manfully off the lift into the Lounge, eagerly anticipating a refreshing glass of bourbon and maybe some poker or arm-wrasslin'. He reflects ruefully that that firey little Security officer will probably break up any real fun, of course, but inevitable failure will never stop BUCK STEELE from trying! Preoccupied by thoughts of gambling and drinking, he almost strides manfully into Ensign Claymore going the opposite direction.

    "Julius!" Buck exclaims "Where are you running off to?" he claps his fellow ensign on the shoulder with one beefy paw while signalling the barman over Claymore's shoulder with the other. "Bourbon! Neat!"



    ((OOC:))
    Solar wrote: »
    Also hey Dongs Galore, what do you reckon to the idea that Claymore and Steele already know each other, and are buddies? They seem like the type of manly men that would hang out together.

    I reckon that is a reasonable assumption! We will drink green liquors and maybe wrassle together

    Dongs Galore on
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Sv'ral casts a furtive glance over her shoulder towards the other watch officers. Everyone else seems absorbed in his or her own console, oblivious to what just transpired. If anything had indeed transpired at all.

    Standard procedures generally require alerting the officer of the watch the moment a distress signal is detected, and she has the distinct feeling she heard the word "distress" somewhere beneath the Tellarite melody. She briefly considers turning to alert the rest of the bridge crew to what she thinks she maybe, possibly might have heard. On the other hand, while she couldn't say for certain, she imagines that the standard procedures generally required when an officer admits to thinking she's hearing voices after she catches herself daydreaming would have a negative cumulative effect on her forward professional mobility. She hasn't been aboard USS Odysseus very long, and "the crazy Andorian" is not a reputation she wants to cultivate. I already started an audio recording when we entered the system; I'll see if I can call up the signal in the playback and revalidate it, she decides. She makes an engineering check to try and recover the signal...
    Which would require a D20 + (1 for an untrained skill) + an attribute modifier... I'd guess intelligence? Any other modifiers I should know about when I punch in the equation for my roll?

    SammyF on
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Nope! That's all you need. You are correct, Intelligence. Sorry, I had forgotten skill checks in Microlite20 are slightly different than 3.x. Will be more specific in the future!

  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Kalelothran
    "REPLY: The main accretors of the system are the two black holes, around which the brunt of the system's debris is located. Scanning for radio signals now. Scanning. Scanning. Scanning."

    With a slight PING! the viewscreen switches to the radio emissions display, and instantly changes to a veritable kaleidoscope of frequency readouts.

    There is a moment of silence before A.S.S.I.S.T.'s voice chimes in.

    "COMMENDATION: Well done, ENSIGN KALELOTHRAN. The relativistic jets of the systems dual black holes seem to be emitting great deals of radio emissions. Attempting to analyze. Analyzing. Analyzing. Complete.

    ANALYTIC EVALUATION: Most fascinating. Reports indicate radio waves are being dragged into the system from all manner of distances, being volleyed back and forth in a sort of endless feedback loop. Ranges vary from as far as the Romulan Neutral Zone to as close as... within our very own system quadrant.

    EVALUATION: How peculiar."

    The bridge is now abuzz with blue shirt science officers, furiously recording notes on their datapads, and whispering in awe among themselves about those Vulcans, and their ways with science.

    Karen "Featherweight" Featherwell
    "SALUTATION: Greetings, ENSIGN KAREN FEATHERWELL.

    REPLY: Please wait one moment while I scan available non-Federation channels." A.S.S.I.S.T.'s voice cuts out, and the audio feed from the lounge continue. (the standard-issue Security headset is connected to A.S.S.I.S.T. somewhat differenly than the rest of the ship; in order to maintain vigilance, they're the only ones who get put on hold.) It seems a loud, boistorous party game has broken out; you can't tell between whom with the throngs of laughter in the background.

    "--ck Ensign Sv'ral, I'd marry Lieutenant Shikara, and I'd kill ol' Featherwei--" The noise cuts out once again.

    "SALUTATION: I have returned.

    REPLY: It appears not. Last reported non-Federation movement through the system was a Ferengi convoy roughly one week ago. A Federation ship, the U.S.S Anansi, was reported as passing through several days ago, however, with an estimated arrival date at New Haversham of yesterday. Records indicate they did not make their arrival.

    EVALUATION: How peculiar.

    QUERY: Analysis of inter-personnel communication records indicate a possible preferred name of "Featherweight." Would you like me to overwrite your voice greeting accordingly?"

    Julius Claymore
    "REPLY: Most certainly. Replaying last 10 seconds:

    My records indicate black market vessels are frowned upon by the Federation. Is that accurate?

    REPEAT QUERY: Is that accurate?

    REPEAT QUERY: My records indicate black market vessels are frowned upon by the Federation. Is that correct?"


    QUERY: Is that sufficient?"

    As you listen, however, you realize where you'd heard that before--it's Lance Orlando's award-winning monologue from the period holo-drama Betrayal on the Bridge. You must wonder how long that's been bouncing around the system.
    Success! You recognized the signal's source before it caused a snafu. Hopefully you're the only one who heard it...

  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Buck Steele
    The bartender barely manages to slide you a tall, stiff tumbler of bourbon before you have to hurriedly follow behind Claymore, as her speedwalks to the elevator. He seems eerily silent as he listens to A.S.S.I.S.T. running back seemingly innocuous dialog. What a strange development, something must be amiss...

  • CayrusCayrus Registered User regular
    OOC:
    I will post tonight I promise. Long weekend.

    Former Secret Service Agent Nathaniel Ford in Call of Cthulhu: Whispers in the Darkness

    Henri Emmanuel Gratien St Pierre in Where No Man Has Gone Before

    Lord Augustus Cumberbatch in Eclipse Phase
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Cayrus wrote: »
    OOC:
    I will post tonight I promise. Long weekend.

    Hey, no problem! Post when you get a chance, no rush whatsoever.

  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »

    Karen "Featherweight" Featherwell
    "SALUTATION: Greetings, ENSIGN KAREN FEATHERWELL.

    REPLY: Please wait one moment while I scan available non-Federation channels." A.S.S.I.S.T.'s voice cuts out, and the audio feed from the lounge continue. (the standard-issue Security headset is connected to A.S.S.I.S.T. somewhat differenly than the rest of the ship; in order to maintain vigilance, they're the only ones who get put on hold.) It seems a loud, boistorous party game has broken out; you can't tell between whom with the throngs of laughter in the background.

    "--ck Ensign Sv'ral, I'd marry Lieutenant Shikara, and I'd kill ol' Featherwei--" The noise cuts out once again.

    "SALUTATION: I have returned.

    REPLY: It appears not. Last reported non-Federation movement through the system was a Ferengi convoy roughly one week ago. A Federation ship, the U.S.S Anansi, was reported as passing through several days ago, however, with an estimated arrival date at New Haversham of yesterday. Records indicate they did not make their arrival.

    EVALUATION: How peculiar.

    QUERY: Analysis of inter-personnel communication records indicate a possible preferred name of "Featherweight." Would you like me to overwrite your voice greeting accordingly?"

    Karen frowns sourly and resists with every ounce of her being the urge to throw the headset away. Even out here, in the inky depths of space, that name followed her.

    "no, thank you A.S.S.I.S.T. Please log the abnormality with the Anansi. That will be all for now" She kept an ear on reveling, it was only a matter before somebody got a bit too fresh. She turn to regard Ensign Sv'ral.

    "seems you're rather popular among our crew mates. Neither here nor there really. A.S.S.I.S.T. noted that USS Anansi was last noted passing through the system last week and is late to it's destination. Can you keep an ear for any signals from it, just in case it's in trouble?

    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Julius laughed to himself. It'd been a long time since he had seen that holo! It had been as a teenager, with a girl if he recalled correctly. Thinking back, it was no surprise that he had taken a while to recognize it, his attention at the time had been somewhat distracted. His attention focused on the datapad, Claymore heard the rough accent of Buck Steele and felt the strong grip on his shoulder before he saw the big, burly engineer. He looked up and smiled at the sight of his old friend. They had had their share of fun together, and Julius was glad to have been posted on the same ship as Steele. In his experience, there wasn't a better damn engineer in the fleet when it came to the practicals of getting things done.

    "Oh, hey Buck. Didn't see you for a moment there, just catching a little glitch in ASSIST's system. How was your shift? Anything interesting come up on the bridge?"

    As he chatted to his Steele, Julius sent a quick notification of the glitch to command through the datapads link, letting them know that the signal was fictional. He didn't want any of the duty officers getting jumpy because they spend too much time in classes and not enough time having fun in their developmental years.

  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Bathren's gloved fingers stumble haltingly over the console keypad as she attempts to recover the mysterious -- and possibly misheard -- voice transmission.
    Seven?! Sigh.

    Perhaps she should have asked a superior for help in the first place, but on the bright side, at least she'll still be known as the crazy-hot Andorian and not just crazy.

    She glances up to find Ensign Featherwell staring at her. "I'm sorry, I didn't catch that. I was trying to... I thought I just--" she pauses as she continues to adjust her dial, thinking that perhaps she'd heard it again.
    But probably not.

    SammyF on
  • CayrusCayrus Registered User regular
    As the USS Odysseus sped toward the Scarpulus system, Ensign St Pierre conducted his rounds in the medbay. On the table in front of him sat a rather annoyed man in a blue and flimsy medical gown.

    "Is this going to take much longer?" the man sighed as Henri returned with his lab results.

    "I am zo zorry Lieutenant DeLuca, perhaps you'd prefer I get ze test results incorrect?" He looked down at the datapad and then back up to the Lieutenant. "So itz gonorrhea this time, eh Daniel? When will you learn to stay away from Lieutenant Shakira?"

    "It wasn't Shakira and you know it you bastard."

    "I know, I was just giving you a 'ard time, baby," Henri said with a wink as he used the hypo to administer the cure to Daniel's arm.

    "Go get zome rest and I'll zee you tonight in your quarters."

    After a few more hours on his rounds, Henri hears the announcement that the Odysseus had arrived in system.

    "Computer, scan for life forms. Calibrate for Human, Ferengi, and Romulan please."

    OOC:
    This "French" accent is goingg to come and go, so be prepared for that. I also thought I'd break some prime time barriers. Has there ever been a gay Trek character?

    Former Secret Service Agent Nathaniel Ford in Call of Cthulhu: Whispers in the Darkness

    Henri Emmanuel Gratien St Pierre in Where No Man Has Gone Before

    Lord Augustus Cumberbatch in Eclipse Phase
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I don't think so, not a big name one anyway, but since Trek has always been famous for breaking those kind of social taboos, I say that it's definitely within the show's feel. Also I love how this ship is basically a college dorm. I love it.

  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    I don't think so, not a big name one anyway, but since Trek has always been famous for breaking those kind of social taboos, I say that it's definitely within the show's feel. Also I love how this ship is basically a college dorm. I love it.
    i don't think they tackled issues of alternative sexualities beyond one episode where Riker seduced an androgynous alien. Rock on Henri! Stop by and we'll bitch about men when Bathren's shift is up.

  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    SammyF wrote: »
    SammyF wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »
    I don't think so, not a big name one anyway, but since Trek has always been famous for breaking those kind of social taboos, I say that it's definitely within the show's feel. Also I love how this ship is basically a college dorm. I love it.
    i don't think they tackled issues of alternative sexualities beyond one episode where Riker seduced an androgynous alien. Rock on Henri! Stop by and we'll bitch about men when Bathren's shift is up.
    You guys can bitch about Julius Claymore all you like

    we all know you want him 8-)

  • jdarksunjdarksun Scion of Chaos Registered User regular
    Kalelothran raised his hand to his forehead, rubbing away an imaginary itch. "Ah... thank you, ASSIST, but the broadcast of congratulations was unnecessary. I was merely examining the tactical considerations of our current location." He spent a moment processing the relayed information. "Did you say that radio waves were being volleyed from within this system? Can you isolate them?"
    Int+Know?

  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Don't worry about it! A.S.S.I.S.T. can take care of it, isolating any important signals...

  • Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    "ASSIST?" Buck laughed. "Me, I ain't never sat too well with that robot. Never send a machine to do a man's work, that's what Buck always says! Next thing you know, they'll be making Robots into bridge officers, way things are going. Weren't nothing serious, I hope?" Buck was fond of Ensign Claymore's company, though he was one of those queer birds who didn't believe in the occasional tibble while on duty. Cuts the dust, don't you know! This thought reminded Buck of the tumbler in his hand, which he proceeded to down manfully.

    "All's quiet on Buck's end, nohow. You fetching yourself back up to the bridge already?" He asked, wiping his muttonstache with the back of his sleeve "'f'n you reckon that pad's broken, might be as I could take a crack at it, though computers never were my for-tay, as 'twere"

  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Buck Steele
    As the two of you lift up towards the bridge, you take a close look at his datapad, only to discover it seems in complete working order. Something else must be distorting the informational waves in the area...

    Henri Emmanuel Gratien St Pierre
    "REPLY: Most certainly. Scanning. Scanning. Scanning. Life forms Located.

    ALERT: PERTINENT INFORMATION DETECTED. Life forms detected. Cross-feeding information to bridge."

    Kalelothran
    "REPLY: Most certainly. Isolating and scanning signals. Isolating. Isolating.

    ALERT: PERTINENT INFORMATION DETECTED. Distress signal detected.

    ALERT: INCOMING INFORMATIONAL CROSS-FEED FROM MED BAY. Life forms detected. Establishing communications link."

    Bathren Sv'ral
    You flip through several channels, desperately seeking to find the signal again. A Ferengi infomercial. A re-run of My Two Captains. A civilian merchant vessel reading its lunch menu. But no word from the mysterious Galorus Straam... if she ever existed to begin with.

    Until, that is, A.S.S.I.S.T lights up.

    Everyone
    The main viewscreen lights up. The picture is grainy, distorted by radio frequency buildup. The bridge flickers into view, tattered, sparks flying, equipment badly damaged. Onscreen is a yellow-shirted Denobulan officer. His clothes are torn and he has several minor scrapes and bruises.

    Wolfe.jpg
    "--Helmsman... Shepson Wolfe... USS Anansi... requesting emergency evacuation..." His breathing is labored, and he rests his hands on the console. "Our ship's been badly damaged..." His eyes flash to both sides briefly. "Solar storm. Our engines are shut down. We're stuck in the gravity of a Red Giant, it's cooking us alive. The crew is in bad shape. Major casualties, even more injuries. Beaming you our coordinates now. Please... please hurry."

    For the first time all night, Jax Danson makes his presence known from his captain's chair, leaping to his feet with a thud. A giant at six and a half feet tall, he twirls to face Sv'ral, commanding the bridge like a conductor with his orchestra.

    "Alright, Ensigns. We're in crisis mode. Stations, now. This is a rescue mission." The communicator rings out across the ship.

    "Kale." He puts a hand on Kalelothran's shoulder, and shoots him a grin. "Get us close enough to transport in, but be careful--we don't want to get caught in the same gravity trap the Anansi is stuck in."
    This is more properly operating controls than utilizing your reflexes, so an INT+Phys check will be sufficient.

    "Sv'ral," he twirls on his heel and snaps his fingers before pointing, "keep communication lines open. Talk to him while we formulate a plan. Keep him calm, get a gauge on where his head's at."
    No roll required to keep communications open, but you may attempt a CHA+Comm roll to earn Wolfe's trust if you please."

    "Steele, buddy." His grin turns shit-eating. "Get down to Engineering. If we're pulling that close to the sun, we'll need shields running at full power until we're ready to transport in. Make it happen for me."
    DEX+Engineering, since you'll be running around, Scotty-style.

    "Med team, you're on supply requisition. We got badly injured officers over there. You heard the situation, get what you need and get it together ASAP."
    DEX+Knowledge, since you, too, are running around.

    Finally, he faces Claymore and Featherwell. "Claymore--you're on point in this one. Get yourself together a team. You need someone who can repair their engines, tend to their injured, and people who can man their systems and pilot the ship out of there."
    Hint, hint.

    "Featherwell, you're on tactics. I'm having A.S.S.I.S.T beam you in ship schematics. Get me a plan of action."
    Here is the schematic of the USS Anansi. Each of the sections is connected to any horizontally-adjacent wings via hallways, and any vertically adjacent wings via turbolifts.

    You may attempt an INT+Knowledge check for tactical advice, or wing it based on your gut instincts of what awaits you in each room.

    Hands on his hips, he nods and smiles as the crew of the Odysseus puts away their childish games and dives into the mission at hand. It's not just an education thing. On some level, Danson wishes every ship had this level of chaos and professionalism.

    "Godspeed, soldiers."

  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Eesh, sorry for the wall of text, wanted to get everything out there at once, so everyone could respond at their leisure.

  • jdarksunjdarksun Scion of Chaos Registered User regular
    "Acknowledged, Captain." Kalelothran wasted no more time with words, and his fingers flew across the control console.

  • CayrusCayrus Registered User regular
    Skill roll = : 1d20 10 + Knowledge (2) + Dex (1) = 13

    Henri was in his element as he rushed about the medbay, barking orders at the nurses.

    "Visual inspection indicates lacerations, abrasions, and burns, both chemical and radiation. We'll need 5 fully-stocked medpacs, 100ccs of Cortolin in case we need to revive anyone, Kelotane and Hexatriol for burns, Netrazine for the radiation, Sonambutril so we can sedate the wounded, Trianoline for any concussions, and a whole lot of Terakine for pain."

    Former Secret Service Agent Nathaniel Ford in Call of Cthulhu: Whispers in the Darkness

    Henri Emmanuel Gratien St Pierre in Where No Man Has Gone Before

    Lord Augustus Cumberbatch in Eclipse Phase
  • Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    "Buck's yer man sir!" Ensign Steele whirled sharply on his heel and marched back into the lift. As soon as the door opened on the engineering deck, Buck sprang into action like a pouncing Grizzly. Bulling impatiently past hapless junior ensigns, he quickly set the shield generators into an abbreviated power-up sequence while simultaneously attempting to modulate the harmonics for extreme heat, calibrating in real-time for x-ray bursts and gravity distortions in a delicate dance of mostly percussive engineering wizardry

    ((OOC:))
    oh shit, dex

    d0W3o.jpg

    Result:
    Shields up!: 1d20 +6-1 22

    And Julius thinks you shouldn't drink on the job!



    Dongs Galore on
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Shoot, forgot Medicine was its own separate skill, Cayrus--should've used that! My bad, count your final score as 16.

    I'll post everyone's results when I'm not dead tired tomorrow.

  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    SammyF wrote: »
    Bathren's gloved fingers stumble haltingly over the console keypad as she attempts to recover the mysterious -- and possibly misheard -- voice transmission.
    Seven?! Sigh.

    Perhaps she should have asked a superior for help in the first place, but on the bright side, at least she'll still be known as the crazy-hot Andorian and not just crazy.

    She glances up to find Ensign Featherwell staring at her. "I'm sorry, I didn't catch that. I was trying to... I thought I just--" she pauses as she continues to adjust her dial, thinking that perhaps she'd heard it again.
    But probably not.

    Just as Featherwell was about to repeat her request, the viewscreen lit up, and invalidated what she was about to say. She listened to the message, eyes snapping to Captain Danson as he moved to action.
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »

    "Featherwell, you're on tactics. I'm having A.S.S.I.S.T beam you in ship schematics. Get me a plan of action."
    Here is the schematic of the USS Anansi. Each of the sections is connected to any horizontally-adjacent wings via hallways, and any vertically adjacent wings via turbolifts.

    You may attempt an INT+Knowledge check for tactical advice, or wing it based on your gut instincts of what awaits you in each room.
    Ugh, not certain where to jump with this, gonna need some assistance with the dice on this. 1st draft of Tactics for the Anansi rescue (1d20+2=14) Respectable. Hopefully, the plan I've formulated sounds about right.

    "Yes, sir." Karen acknowledged the command as she immediately went to the monitors, fingers dancing over the keys as she absorbed the schematics, "Primary Objective is the well-being of the Anansi's crew. As they hailed us, recommend we beam onto the bridge, and evacuate any survivors, injured or otherwise, in addition to a general life-scan of the ship to locate those that need rescue. If possible, reactivate the engines from the bridge. If not, we'll need to make our way to Engineering and perform a manual reactivation. This could easily be accomplished by going from Bridge, to Systems, to Lounge, to Engineering. Along the way, we will need to ensure each area is cleared of survivors." Karen stated to the bridge crew of the Odysseus, hoping that the Red Giant's radiation wouldn't wreak merry havoc with their tricorders and other sensors, "If the ship's engines are beyond repair, I recommend we tow the Anansi to the nearest Starbase for repairs. Should this action not be able to undertaken, we may have to consider activating Anansi's self-destruct so it isn't pilfered by the Ferengi, or worse, the Romulans." She took in a deep breath, hoping she hadn't sounded like a complete idiot as her she outlined her assessment.

    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    That plan sounds just fine! For your thinking on your feet, collect an extra Action Point for the mission itself.

  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Ensign Sv'ral swivels back to her console as she presses her earpiece close to the side of her head.

    "Anansi," she begins, hoping to squelch the anxiety in her voice and project an impression of calm, professional control...
    ...while making a CHA + Communications check in the hopes that it improves his composure and focus: D20+6+1 = 10.... Wait really? Fuck it, this is supposed to be the one thing I am good at other than sloppy blue blowies. I burn an action point to boost my roll in the hope that better information will yield some sort of benefit to the other officers planning their parts of the rescue. . This brings my total roll to 15.

    "...Anansi," she repeats, collecting herself. "This is U.S.S. Odysseus. We copy your distress signal. Remain calm; we are coming to get you in just a few moments. In the meantime, in order to prepare for and expedite our rescue operation, please transmit the following information:

    "First, a more specific status on your crew." Bathren makes a mental note to ask A.S.S.I.S.T. for computer records of the Anasi's full crew complement. "Do you have any precise information about the number of major casualties and the nature of their injuries? Any information your ship's medical staff can forward us will help our own medical team be in position to render aide swiftly.

    "Second, we need more details about the status of your vessel. Do you have any hull breaches? Do you have shields?

    "Finally, can you forward us your sensors and navigations readings? They may help us contend with the gravity well and radiation of the star as we come into range."

    She mutes her mic while waiting for a response. "A.S.S.I.S.T.: access Starfleet records. What is the current crew compliment for U.S.S. Anansi?"

    SammyF on
  • jdarksunjdarksun Scion of Chaos Registered User regular
    @Dex Dynamo
    I'd like to use the Plan talent here - how do I do that? Just state intent, narrate it a bit, and roll Int+Know?

Sign In or Register to comment.