As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Chat [chat]

1929394959698»

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I didn't care for Akira. The storyline felt all over the place and then the end was one of those "everyone dies/nothing matters" which I understand are more common in Japanese storytelling but not so much here, and I'm not a fan.

They needed more time to tell the story. The movie barely covers 1/10th of the manga.

Be that as it may, the praise it receives is aimed at the movie. Perhaps the manga is really, really good. But the film is pretty eh.

When did you see it? Before 1995 or so or after?

Akira is one of those artistic works that was ambitious, revolutionary, but flawed; it ended up having an influence on American cinema that I cannot overstate. So many later movies (after cheap CGI made it possible for anybody to make a scifi movie without a zomghuge budget) have taken the good parts of Akira and fixed some of its flaws. If you've already become inured to urban scifi using CG, Akira doesn't seem as striking. At the time, there was absolutely nothing else like it in the US.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    So spool

what do you think about the movie "Falling Down" and would you be interested in "Cosplaying" it with me?

I just want breakfast. Is that too much to ask?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eREiQhBDIk

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    The whole not telling your family your dying is... well I think it's lame. Obviously you and your wife think so too. But it's a very personal choice and lots of people make that decision for their own reasons. How you deal with death is intensely personal and it's best to let it go and not hang onto misgivings about that.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    @Spool32

Shit sucks man. All the man e-hugs for you mate.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    The new robocop suit looks terrible.

Also he keeps his "good" arm, or, that's the speculation.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    1rvux.jpg

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    They were going for Batman Begins/TDK feel for the suit, I hear.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Elldren wrote: »
    Yeah that really is terrible spool : /

also and unrelated: @jacobkosh are you busy this afternoon?

I am gonna nap for a while (hopefully not all evening :( ) but I want to borderlands later if people are around

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    I have watched it as an adult. I think watching Akira subtitled does a lot for it, honestly. That classic dub staring the voice actor of Leonardo just didn't do the actual dialogue justice. The sub definitely cleared up a few things I was very confused on. Actually, I felt it was almost a different movie.

But I digress. There are much better Japanese animated features. Its big deal was its visuals, and it was significant at the time.

cptrugged on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I saw Akira when it was first released and it blew my tiny, teenage mind. Haven't seen it for years.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    They should have gone for a walking tank feel.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular

SWEAR TO ME, CITIZEN

• Options
    I wonder if they'll go for TDKR (schpoilers) schtick of
    telegraphing how important the real hand is by making sure you know it's not important at all, repeatedly. (autopilot, I'm looking at you)

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    i am sick of that robocop picture

so much retarded speculation without context

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular

That's exactly what I thought when I saw it. It doesn't look "Robo" at all to me.

• Options
    Nothing makes you want to eat a giant bowl of lead more than Grave of the Fireflies

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Nothing makes you want to eat a giant bowl of lead more than Grave of the Fireflies

i heard here and there now and then is pretty brutal too

• Options
    I never cared for Akira. But I understand its importance in a grand scale.

Lud, Grave of the Fireflies is designed to make you want to do that. It is depressing because the period it is talking about was that depressing. I am not sure it would have such an effect as a live action movie because culturally we tie animation most times to happy endings not that.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Holy crap this is pretty cool

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/26/form-1-delivers-high-end-3d-printing-for-an-affordable-price/

It's a $2500 3d printer which doesn't sound all that impressive but it doesn't use extrusion. This thing can deliver insane detail.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    I've heard that it's the best movie you'll never want to watch again.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    1rvux.jpg

I'm Batman Robocop

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    i'm 24 and 5/6 today :O

I was 22 and 5/6 yesterday!
    happy almost birthday to you

@solomaxwell6 what do you do and what did you say you were trying for grad school for

I'm a software developer for a consulting firm in DC right now. I've been considering other options because they treat developers here pretty shitty. My last annual was slightly less than the increase in my rent. A friend of mine has been put on site in an office a couple of hours away from his home. He was originally supposed to just be there about a month and a half, but they moved his original end date from May until October, and just told him a few days ago they were tacking another few months on to that. He's also recently married but has no time to spend with his new wife. Another coworker was shipped to Wisconsin for a couple of years (again, originally being told she'd only be there a couple of months).

Outside of the pay issue, things haven't really been too bad for me personally, but that's entirely because I had difficulties getting a security clearance so they had trouble putting me on site (pot has had tangible benefits to my life!), and because I'm young and single so even when I was on site the long hours and commute weren't too bad. But I've been considering other options, and grad school is one of them. I'm waiting to here back about some financial aid stuff before I actually apply. I'd be going back to RPI, my alma mater, for computer science. I had been planning on getting an MS back when I first went to school, but I was running out of money and was starting to get a little itchy to try out the real world.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

Atrau losing his horse in the swamp in The Neverending Story.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/26/form-1-delivers-high-end-3d-printing-for-an-affordable-price/

It's a $2500 3d printer which doesn't sound all that impressive but it doesn't use extrusion. This thing can deliver insane detail.

The detail on the models shown in the article looks great.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options

Some one posted it in the 40k thread. Man it would be pretty awesome for a table top game. Make your own guys with fine detail like that.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

Watch Dear Zachary and compare.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

Atrau losing his horse in the swamp in The Neverending Story.

Everything is restored at the end when the world is recreated.

GotFf not so much.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Oh, I played Sleeping Dogs last night and I cannot tell you how hard it is to drive on the left side of the road. Every time I make a turn down another street, I forget which side is which and kill an NPC riding a motorcycle.

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular

This is the 3D printer I want.

So I can print a few things and then get bored. But it would look cool on my desk.

• Options
    09-20-2012neptune-white06.jpg

This discussion has been closed.