Options

[Prison Architect] ... DOT COM

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Xaviar wrote: »
    It's okay right now. It has the potential to be great when it's done, but it's still pretty feature-light at this point. But it is shaping up like a dwarffort/themehosp-alike, and I have a lot of faith in introversion, so.

If it's like theme hospital and or dwarf fortress, then I am interested. I don't get why an alpha is 30 bucks, though. Usually joining in on a game while it's that early means you get a discount on it.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    Xaviar wrote: »
    It's okay right now. It has the potential to be great when it's done, but it's still pretty feature-light at this point. But it is shaping up like a dwarffort/themehosp-alike, and I have a lot of faith in introversion, so.

If it's like theme hospital and or dwarf fortress, then I am interested. I don't get why an alpha is 30 bucks, though. Usually joining in on a game while it's that early means you get a discount on it.

I was ok with the higher price as it keeps Introversion free from publisher influence, and they can keep doing weird, fun games.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Maybe my ideas of game pricing are skewed (hello Australian pricings), but $30 feels perfectly fine for an indie title. About the price point I'd expect, actually.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    No man, indie devs should use Starbucks prices as a rough guide to set a value for their games. Is it worth a Mocha Frappuccino, or is this more of a classic Cappuccino with extra foam and some nutmeg powdered on top priced game? Also they have to provide a perfectly polished* and bugfree** experience at release, I mean c'mon they are in this for the love, right? Why should they expect to be able to put bread on the table or a roof over their heads. Shitty developers like ID, sure I expect bugs. John Carmack is a moron, y'know. Megatextures lol. But your indie game is only 70Megglebites. WTF is your problem? You don't have any lensflare either, probably because you used Flash or something equally shitty like Javo. Well, I won't be fooled again.

This is lots of lensflare and polygons. Their has to be a story too, and with necessary wish fulfillment branches for all types.

This means it should run on any system. Period. I mean, my machine can run any Xbox 360 game no problem. What's with all that shitty bugs. It's probably because you used Flash. I mean really, I could have bought a Mocha Frappuccino instead of this piece of shit.
    This isn't directed at anyone in the thread or anything like that. Pure satire based on some observations I've made of the greater interbutts at large. This all just kind of bubbled up to the surface.

Drake on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Suriko wrote: »
    Maybe my ideas of game pricing are skewed (hello Australian pricings), but $30 feels perfectly fine for an indie title. About the price point I'd expect, actually.

No, I don't have a problem with them charging 30 for their game, but it's in alpha right now. Not even beta.

• Options
    I don't really see it as paying for an alpha, but rather preordering the game (and you get an alpha as a preorder bonus). They're offering more substance for preorders than most games give.

• Options
    I don't really see it as paying for an alpha, but rather preordering the game (and you get an alpha as a preorder bonus). They're offering more substance for preorders than most games give.

Yeah, that's true.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular

This is basically my take on it. I loved the old Rollercoaster Tycoon games. Hell one of the first computer games I ever played was Railroad Tycoon on an old IBM PS/2. It's worth $30 to me for this kind of game, and I trust this developer enough to believe it won't be shovelware. I've already put enough hours in it, that I'll gladly take this purchase over say, going to see a shitty movie or so.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »
    So, does each prisoner have a short bio/file like everyone did in Theme-park/hospital?

Not right now in the alpha, but this is intended. One of the preorder bonuses is being able to submit your name and a rap sheet of your own to them for inclusion in the game.

If that's the case, I hope someone's doing hard time for eating a baloney sandwich on a Friday (old Carlin joke), or for flipping off a box of kittens.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    It will make it even better they'll also have to include actual, hard crimes on some of them, if only for a (to paraphrase the Simpsons) "Oh god, why is he in here with all the joke ones!?".

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    PrimePrime UKRegistered User regular
    I just bought it, its interesting idea with buckets of potential, a little clumsy to play at the moment but I will keep an eye on the builds very carefully.

• Options
    Finally got a nice prison that avoids prisoner fights with a minimum of staff, and gives a nice profit too. Note that staff number listed is bugged and there prison is actually running on 12 guards at present. The prison could probably be run entirely hands-off once guard patrols are implemented and prisoners either stop coming or get released, whichever is decided on by the devs.

ibgLkyFSzfDcEp.jpg

I guess this pretty much means the alpha's "won", as there isn't a hell of a lot more that can be done at this stage. It's a nice management game though, and as things get nailed down, I could see the modding scene really taking off.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    I wouldn't mind if there's some type of rehabilitation mechanism. Maybe you start seeing repeat offenders, but also maybe get grants or bonuses for having a highly successful rehab program instead of just locking them up and forgetting about them.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    You know what this needs?

A boxing ring.

Perfect for an illegal fight club. The warden gets his take, the prisoners are happy, the losers are buried alive with a back hoe and left to breathe through a straw!

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    If I can't recreate Riki-Oh! The Story of Ricky with this game then I want no part of it.

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Horrifying accidents in the woodshop, go!

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    So I went ahead and picked this up, something that's pretty unusual for me; I don't tend to jump in on paid Alphas from developers with which I'm not familiar. The sheer avalanche of positive word-of-mouth concerning both the game and the developer managed to convince me, along with watching some Let's Plays.

I'm generally pleased with the game, as even in this alpha state it's very fun and playable. I can't wait to see what comes next! Right now my big stumbling block appears to be the Canteen; I can't quite figure out a way to keep prisoners happy when the population swells, turning every mealtime into a battle royale.

I guess I also have a problem with staying profitable, as constantly building new cells seems to cost more than what I get paid for the prisoners.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    The game obviously needs to have the option to make it a womens prison. Think of how many pervs would want to buy it just for that reason.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    The DeliveratorThe Deliverator
    casts resurrect thread!

So, this is available on Steam now. I picked it up and I'm impressed with how fun it is. I think it's at Alpha 8, so things have apparently come a long way since the last time this thread saw the light of day.

In my first prison had to turn off prisoner intake around 40ish inmates because I couldn't keep up with building cells when new inmates were coming in at 15-20 per day. I'm slowly making the money to expand though, day by day.

Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
    casts resurrect thread!

So, this is available on Steam now. I picked it up and I'm impressed with how fun it is. I think it's at Alpha 8, so things have apparently come a long way since the last time this thread saw the light of day.

In my first prison had to turn off prisoner intake around 40ish inmates because I couldn't keep up with building cells when new inmates were coming in at 15-20 per day. I'm slowly making the money to expand though, day by day.

• Options
    Introversion being the cool dudes they are, all existing purchases of Prison Architect can be activated on Steam, too. Class act.

• Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    Oh wow, I didn't even know that... probably make it way easier to update.

This is a pretty fun game, though I haven't been keeping up with every new alpha release.

• Options
    BonepartBonepart Registered User regular
    Just bought this. Went with the $40 package so I could get their other games as well :D

Any tips for a Beginner?

XBL Gamertag: Ipori
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    General opinions on the current state of this game? Worth the price at $15?

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Haven't played this in ages and there's been a bunch of juicy updates since I played last. Pretty bizarre that building and managing a prison can be so entertaining.

Since I last played, here's all the stuff that's been added or updated to actually do something now: guard patrols, permanent stationing of guards, tunnel escapes (I dunno if this was in before, but I'd never seen it), lawyers (which negate penalties for prison failures), dogs, dog patrols, a deployment system, allocating jobs via the deployment system, a functioning CCTV system, an armoury so you can arm your guards with lethal weaponry, and (this is my favorite addition) the ability to sell a prison.

The deployment system adds a new overlay mode which basically lets you mark which rooms are accessible by whom very quickly and easily, along with designating patrol routes and saying where prisoners are allowed to work. Haven't built an armoury yet, but I just sold my prison for $120k, which means I start on a new prison site with that $120k, plus the starting $10k, plus all the grants reset so you can get them again (which is something like another hundred grand or so overall). So now I can build a new prison with everything I learned from the old one on a larger map, plus build it way, way bigger right from the start.

Some pretty big changes, all said and done, and they make managing increasing numbers of prisoners waaaaay easier.

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Armed guards sound like a cool idea at first, but one slip and oh shit they're in the armory, they've got guns, the prisoners have all the guns.

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    Armed guards sound like a cool idea at first, but one slip and oh shit they're in the armory, they've got guns, the prisoners have all the guns.

Yeah, I was already surprised enough when I got the warning sound with a picture pointing to a tunnel. That taught me a VERY important lesson about fencing in ALL areas where prisoners are for extended periods of time. But that first prison I built after the new patch topped out at an effective 18 or so prisoners, with the last batch only brought in to put me over the requisite 20 inmates so I could sell the place. I've definitely been using a strategy of keeping inmates happy and danger low so I don't have major problems.

I took the $120k from that sale and started on a Medium map this time, immediately kitting it out for 48 inmates. Definitely leery of having an armory around if there will be that many inmates.

• Options
    wiltingwilting I had fun once and it was awful Registered User regular
    Haven't played this in a good few updates after building a well oiled prison and haven't quite got the itch again, although I follow every update and each brings awesome things that I wanted to see.

The strategy I settled on was to make sure that Prisoners needs were met wherever they were; toilets, showers, telephones, pool tables in both the yard and canteen. Plenty of prisoners on the edge of going ballistic are satisfied by being able to poop when they need to.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    I've got a prison with 44 mid-level inmates at the moment, and man, this place runs so smooth it practically sings. Metal detector by the canteen means everybody gets checked, there's one guard patrolling for each cell block, one for the showers, six cameras watching all the low-traffic work areas, several suitably miserable solitary confinement cells outside, a pair of K9 units that take turns patrolling all three cell blocks, zero complaints, zero escapes, zero escape attempts, every administrator and security type in play, and a $1200 profit per day (more like $2200 if you count the extra income from wood).

I think it's time to add a max-security wing and get some executions going. I've got fifty grand just sitting around doing nothing at the moment, and scaling to another 40 or so mid-level prisoners probably wouldn't be a problem at all.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    This game is haaaaard. I don't know if it's because it's half finished state makes it impossible to play honestly or if I'm just crap, probably the latter.

But I cheat like a mofo and I still face an endless tide of riots past a certain point. Money is no object in my games because I edit the save file to give myself millions of dollars each time. And this allows me to experiment in ways that wouldn't be possible otherwise. Last time I tried building an all indoor prison, just one big building with everything inside and the game didn't like it one bit, the slow down was biblical so like it or not prison camps seem to be the only way forward.

One thing I wish they would do, and it's so simple I don't know why they haven't, is fix the option for turning off daily prisoner intake, like they have a checkbox there but no matter what I click in that box I get a fresh load of prisoners every day whether I'm ready for them or not.

My biggest problem with this game though is trying to resist the temptation to play the shit out of the alpha, I'm over 60 hours in already! I need to start rationing my enthusiasm for this game so there's still some left for the finished product.

• Options
    I think you need to go under the "Prisoners" tab in your Report; if you click the green box labeled "Open", it will turn red and switch to "Closed". Then you won't receive prisoners until you go back and click the button to open the prison up to inmates again.

The hard part of the game is, I feel, realizing which prisoner needs correspond to which facilities. Recreation means having pool tables and TVs (I put them in a Common Room). Food stuff is pretty obvious. Freedom means you need a Yard and space for prisoners to move around in. Keeping inmates clean is SUPER important; I wouldn't even let any inmates in until you have a laundry room and one or two janitors, because dirt builds up fast and dirty clothes make prisoners real mad. I also have laundry and the kitchen accessible to inmates; that means if you put Work right before Eat, you can have a bunch of inmates come make food fast without having to hire a bunch of chefs. Really important when you start making larger prisons, as the more work you have prisoners do, the less staff you have to pay. And a metal detector at a choke point where all prisoners go is a great way to keep weapons and tools from getting to where they shouldn't be. You won't catch everything, but you should be able to catch loads of stuff.

I think one of my favorite things so far was tossing the cells of the whole prison and finding something like six or seven tunnels, with most of them reaching almost outside the fences. The prison could only hold about 18 inmates. I'm pretty sure losing a third of the prison population to tunnel escapes would not have been a shining moment in my prison career.

• Options
    DockenDocken Registered User regular
    So has anyone tried to make a hell hole prison?

One whereby you deliberately don't satisfy any of the needs of the prisoners, but instead put all your cash into guard dogs, weaponry and riot police???

Thinking of trying that out to see what happens. I assume blood.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Docken wrote: »

One whereby you deliberately don't satisfy any of the needs of the prisoners, but instead put all your cash into guard dogs, weaponry and riot police???

I don't see why it wouldn't be doable. You'd probably want a CRAPLOAD of lawyers right before you sell the place so they can counter what are certain to be many, many, many penalties, but sure, why not?

Just keep in mind that inmates kept constantly suppressed will eventually not be suppressed by anything. Well, except bullets, but they'll only work once.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    So I played this again last night after seeing the thread updated. The new planning mode is amazing. Though the first time I had prisoners released I was panicking, because I missed the message in the top left, and just saw one of my guards go open the front door for the prisoner, and let him walk right out.

• Options
    DockenDocken Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Docken wrote: »

I don't see why it wouldn't be doable. You'd probably want a CRAPLOAD of lawyers right before you sell the place so they can counter what are certain to be many, many, many penalties, but sure, why not?

Just keep in mind that inmates kept constantly suppressed will eventually not be suppressed by anything. Well, except bullets, but they'll only work once.

I will call it... Casa de Arpaio.

EDIT - and at some point I will rename one of the prisoners 'Sherriff A'... Probably one of the murderers.

Docken on
  • Options
    Mvrck wrote: »
    So I played this again last night after seeing the thread updated. The new planning mode is amazing. Though the first time I had prisoners released I was panicking, because I missed the message in the top left, and just saw one of my guards go open the front door for the prisoner, and let him walk right out.

It'll still freak me out when I see a prisoner booking it for an exit and I see guards letting them through doors. And the deployment overlay is what I dig the most; once you know how it works, it's quick to use but robust enough to keep everything where it should be. One thing I do find myself wishing for, though, is a way to allow enough prisoners in to fill your prison to capacity, rather than the random sizes of the dropoffs. A bit annoying to have earning continually dropping off because

After spending some more time with the game, the game strikes me as a totally great way Dwarf Fortress could be shifted into a far, far, far more use-friendly and much-improved format. I've got 62 inmates, 3 chefs, 2 janitors, something like 16-18 guards, a couple dog guards, 6 workmen, a doctor, and all the administrator types buzzing around and the game runs fine. Granted, a Dwarf Fortress game set up like this would have to sacrifice a fair chunk of the insane levels of simulation going on, but I could live with that if it meant shifting into something as nice and usable as this. The zone designation alone would've been something I would've killed for in DF when I played, simply because it's so easy, quick, and reliable here.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Man, $30?

That's... Steep.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    Man, $30?

That's... Steep.

Dac is clearly a Mocha Frappuccino person.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    I don't even know what that means D:

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow