Options

[Prison Architect] ... DOT COM

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    Man, $30?

That's... Steep.

Ten bucks more will get you Uplink, DEFCON, Darwinia, and Multiwinia, if you don't already have them (which is probably pretty unlikely). I dunno if anybody even plays DEFCON or Multiwinia anymore, but Uplink and Darwinia are both pretty amazing, unique games.

But even at $30 bucks and for Early Release, it becomes obvious very quickly what happens when somebody takes a concept like Dwarf Fortress (creating large systems for NPCs to interact in) and applies professional talent to it to make a profit. I can't say "buy it" simply because it's very much a game where it's just not going to be fun for certain people, but I've already gotten thirty bucks of fun out of it and counting.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Defcon is fucking amazing. So is Darwinia.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    I don't even know what that means D:

See Drake's post above.

• Options
    Edgler VessEdgler Vess Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    I purchased this for $10.19 a few days ago when it was on sale. Looks like they are on Update 20 now for those of you who purchased it before and kinda lost track of it since then. Its pretty feature rich right now with loads of ways to make money (tons of new grants). I am absolutely mesmerized. Dwarf Fortress/Simcity Hybrid is pretty close to spot on. Interface takes some getting used to, and the game can be punishingly difficult at times (I just had an entire prison complex burn to the ground, after I had locked all inmates in their cells when the fire broke out) Couldn't figure out how to use the firemen until it was to late. 140 prisoners and 14 guards died in the firestorm. I was fired and placed in the ruins of my own prison for my murder spree. Great times.

Edgler Vess on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    I picked this up in the sale too and am keen to give it a go once I get back from work. I'm working my way down through the alpha video updates and the Introversion guys seems like great dudes who get along handsomely

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    Absolutely loving the hell out of this game so far. Once I figured out how to play the Grant system I've built quite the massive prison without ever actually getting any prisoners. I have run into an issue though. When building my workshop I guess I built too much equipment and I went over on my power. Maxing out capacitors didn't help so I built another power station with more capacitors. However even with two of them running separate circuits I can't get anything to power back on. If I try to flip them individually or together they come on and go right back off.

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Shogun wrote: »
    Absolutely loving the hell out of this game so far. Once I figured out how to play the Grant system I've built quite the massive prison without ever actually getting any prisoners. I have run into an issue though. When building my workshop I guess I built too much equipment and I went over on my power. Maxing out capacitors didn't help so I built another power station with more capacitors. However even with two of them running separate circuits I can't get anything to power back on. If I try to flip them individually or together they come on and go right back off.
    I had that issue as well and after some digging in the wiki found out you have to turn the capacitors on first, then the main generator. Making a second generator just messes things up so just to one. And I believe the capacitors have to be either touching the generator directly or touching a capacitor that is.

Dirtyboy on
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    The more I play this game the more I am loving it. Just sold my first prison for 200k. Can't wait to start another. I'm trying out various designs and so far access hallways and panels seem to be very helpful. Adding showers directly to each cell block is brilliant, but I need to include an access spot in the middle of each block. I got my workshop going and got people passing the safety course but I wouldn't say the workshop was ever printing money. This thread needs some more action! Post pics of a prison you've done so I can steal all your ideas.

Here is the last thing I was working on. This is right before I started opening up for prisoners. I was amazed at how well it ran and it was fun experimenting with dogs, armed guards, and CCTV.

DF11C31C98DEE7FBBA397142E6354D358797A231

• Options
    Dirtyboy wrote: »
    I had that issue as well and after some digging in the wiki found out you have to turn the capacitors on first, then the main generator. Making a second generator just messes things up so just to one. And I believe the capacitors have to be either touching the generator directly or touching a capacitor that is.

So you need to turn the capacitors on after a black-out... riiiiight rightrightrightright. I've restarted a few prisons when I've encountered that as I thought it was a bug. Not that I mind restarting, it's another opportunity to further fiddle with design. I like the idea of each cell block having a shower incorporated into them... Hmmmmmm

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TeeMan wrote: »

So you need to turn the capacitors on after a black-out... riiiiight rightrightrightright. I've restarted a few prisons when I've encountered that as I thought it was a bug. Not that I mind restarting, it's another opportunity to further fiddle with design. I like the idea of each cell block having a shower incorporated into them... Hmmmmmm

It has worked really well for me. I'm still playing this like mad. I had a 200 prisoner Max Sec setup last night that was doing really well but I restarted for some reason. I tried to go Max Sex straight out the gate this time and I have found it to be quite a lot harder. The danger level is out of control compared to my last prison and my money is very tight.

• Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    TeeMan wrote: »

It has worked really well for me. I'm still playing this like mad. I had a 200 prisoner Max Sec setup last night that was doing really well but I restarted for some reason. I tried to go Max Sex straight out the gate this time and I have found it to be quite a lot harder. The danger level is out of control compared to my last prison and my money is very tight.

You have to take your time for that, work up the right mood first.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Just picked this up and my god. I love it. The tutorial is fucking dark. Is there more of that through the main game?

• Options
    I thought the same thing - given the abstract nature of the game I thought it'd be pretty light hearted by ho boy was I wrong.

They're intending to release the game with a campaign, but it hasn't been impliemented yet.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Just picked this up and my god. I love it. The tutorial is fucking dark. Is there more of that through the main game?

No, the actual gameplay doesn't have any "cutscenes" like the tutorial does.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    But more of that stuff is coming. It's just not a priority at the moment.

• Options
    electric chair functionality + death row inmates pls

• Options
    I just wish they could un-bork construction jobs. Hey you lazy slobs, the Jobs list is crammed full of things to do, get off your asses! :angry:

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    I just can't morally support this game. With the private prison industry and biased convictions towards the poor it just doesn't seem right to make a game of it

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Making a game out of it is a great way to get people educated about these kinds of things. Introversion is taking the topic pretty seriously, even though this isn't a serious business game about social conscience.

By the time they are done with the game you will be able to experiment with all kinds of rehabilitation programs.

edit: If it means anything they are also getting a ton of input from people who have been inside the prison system itself, both working for the system and people who were incarcerated.

Drake on
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    I just can't morally support this game. With the private prison industry and biased convictions towards the poor it just doesn't seem right to make a game of it

Watching your prisoners slowly devolve into time bombs if you treat them shitty, or seeing a prison run almost entirely hands off with no issues if you actually treat them as human beings is pretty much the most objective depiction of prisons around the world we are going to get. Running your prison like an American system results in chaos and bloodshed. Run it like a Euro prison, and it's easy times.

• Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »

Watching your prisoners slowly devolve into time bombs if you treat them shitty, or seeing a prison run almost entirely hands off with no issues if you actually treat them as human beings is pretty much the most objective depiction of prisons around the world we are going to get. Running your prison like an American system results in chaos and bloodshed. Run it like a Euro prison, and it's easy times.

That sounds a lot better

Pity its $30 for an unfinished product

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Watch the dev vids and I am sure you would change your mind. They do take into consideration real life prisons and how they are managed and treat prisoners.

https://www.youtube.com/user/IVSoftware/videos

• Options
    So I have shower rooms and stuff and I keep getting water overflows all over the floor. I put a drain in, but it still happens. Anyone know what sup?

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Put more drains in.

• Options
    So I have shower rooms and stuff and I keep getting water overflows all over the floor. I put a drain in, but it still happens. Anyone know what sup?

Drains go wherever the exit to the shower is. So if it is a single door put a drain on the tile with the door. I also put drains directly in front of the door. The way the water works is somewhat counter-intuitive.

• Options
    Gotcha, I was putting drains in the middle of the room, such as I see in real life.

Also I realized I probably shouldn't be leaving my prisoners locked up in their cells, only to be let out when its time to eat or shower. I should probably set up a common room and a yard so my violence goes down.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Just finished my first successful minsec prison. Sold for $240,000 with 78 prisoners with minimal dissatisfaction. Once you start selling prisons you are pretty much set for making the next one.

The biggest problems I had were trying to do education programs. I had enough time blocked out for "work" and plenty of classroom space. Teachers never seemed to show up though.

Also, even after I had prisoners pass the kitchen safety training I couldn't assign them to my kitchen. It was very annoying.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    Just finished my first successful minsec prison. Sold for $240,000 with 78 prisoners with minimal dissatisfaction. Once you start selling prisons you are pretty much set for making the next one.

The biggest problems I had were trying to do education programs. I had enough time blocked out for "work" and plenty of classroom space. Teachers never seemed to show up though.

Also, even after I had prisoners pass the kitchen safety training I couldn't assign them to my kitchen. It was very annoying.

I'm assuming you have assigned jobs in the deployment screen. For prisoners to actually work in the kitchen you have to schedule work during the times the cooks are working in the kitchen. Whatever your scheduled eat time is the cooks will start cooking four hours prior. So you want at least three hours of work scheduled before eat time.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    For some reason, when things go wrong in this game for me, it goes wrong in the showers. The slightest amount of unrest and the showers turn into Stab City.

So I've figured something out. As long as you put the shower behind a door, you can have individual shower-rooms in the cells. Single tile with a shower head and then a tile with a drain and a door, all you need. The cells end up being a tad bigger, but it means that when you go from Lockdown to Showers, each prisoner goes to the closest shower which is in their own cell. Problem solved.

Now if I could only get enough prisoners educated to get my grant money...

13iepvv6o8ip.png
  • Options
    I can't get any prisoners educated. I've decided after 2-3 different prisons it must be a bug. Need to dig into the forums to verify.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    I can't get any prisoners educated. I've decided after 2-3 different prisons it must be a bug. Need to dig into the forums to verify.

Classes are held during work periods so make sure you have more than one work period and that they are at least three or four hour-long periods. Getting 5 guys to take and pass the General Education course is a lot tougher than any of the others. You have to pass the foundation education course and they have to have an interest in taking it. I've had someone pass it but it seems to take ages to get the five needed for the grant money.

edit: also if you change your daily schedule around make sure you hit the button under the programs tab to reschedule classes. Also try and have as many classes as possible. I usually have 2 workshop classes, 2 kitchen classes, 2 foundation education, and a behavorial therapy class.

Shogun on
  • Options

Classes are held during work periods so make sure you have more than one work period and that they are at least three or four hour-long periods. Getting 5 guys to take and pass the General Education course is a lot tougher than any of the others. You have to pass the foundation education course and they have to have an interest in taking it. I've had someone pass it but it seems to take ages to get the five needed for the grant money.

edit: also if you change your daily schedule around make sure you hit the button under the programs tab to reschedule classes. Also try and have as many classes as possible. I usually have 2 workshop classes, 2 kitchen classes, 2 foundation education, and a behavorial therapy class.

I've done all that and had tons of interest. Oh well! I'll figure it out.

I also found ou that you can't have two generators on the same circuit or they short out.

• Options

I've done all that and had tons of interest. Oh well! I'll figure it out.

I also found ou that you can't have two generators on the same circuit or they short out.

I usually save one circuit for powering strictly my workshop as it grows over time and usually requires a shitload of power. Are your prisoners not taking any classes period or are you having a problem with the General Ed course?

• Options
    Not taking classes period, even though I have a four hour work block, two classrooms and tons of interest.

• Options
    Not taking classes period, even though I have a four hour work block, two classrooms and tons of interest.

sorry if i sound stupid but you did start the classes under the program tab right? And it assigned time periods for the classes yes?

• Options
    edited June 2014
    No no, I appreciate your thoroughness. Yes I did start the classes and gave them time periods.

All my other program work right.

Another fun problem is that even after I have prisoners who have passed the kitchen safety class, it won't let me assign workers to the kitchen, even though I can asdign people else ware like laundry and cleaning room.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    No no, I appreciate your thoroughness. Yes I did start the classes and gave them time periods.

All my other program work right.

Another fun problem is that even after I have prisoners who have passed the kitchen safety class, it won't let me assign workers to the kitchen, even though I can asdign people else ware like laundry and cleaning room.

huh.

How big is your kitchen and how many cooks do you have working it? I've always been able to assign prisoners jobs in the kitchen but until I figured out how the work hours actually worked I couldn't get any prisoners to actually work in there. Your classrooms all have their requirements met right? And you have at least 20 student desks per room right?

• Options
    Big kitchen with like 12 stoves. Maybe I need to have different levels of prisoners so my low sec can cook for my med sec.

Also one big classroom to meet the requirements then one smaller one.

• Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    Man, it's been months since I've played this. I should build another prison.

steam_sig.png