Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[iPhone/iPod/iPad] Thread - The headphone jack is going to be on the bottom! *POW*

1235768

Posts

  • AtomikaAtomika Brought to you by Technicolor™ Registered User regular
    I have to say, the iMac I bought was worth the expense, even at just the base level. With PCs, I was having to either remod or buy a new one just about every other year. By recollection, I went through three towers and two laptops in about about eight or nine years until I got my iMac. I've had it for about three years, and I truly expect it to be my primary home computer for another three-to-five years.

    It seems to me that we're leveling out a bit in terms of how much memory, speed, and bandwidth we need to get by day-to-day, and right now my current rig gets by more than ably. The newly announced iMacs are gorgeous and a real bargain at their price, but I just can't justify it -- now or any time in the near future. The silver lining on that is when I do finally re-up on an iMac half a decade from now, who knows what awesome shit it's going to have. Hell, it'll probably be something ridiculous, like a 3D touch-capacitive screen that is detachable with tactile feedback, with dimensions of 27" x 2mm, and takes Genius Playlists directly from your thoughts as you sleep.

  • minor incidentminor incident Helen Keller to the bullshit Registered User regular
    iMacs do have a pretty long usable lifespan. The one I use at my bakery is going on 4 or 5 years old (it was the first aluminum iMac) and it's still going strong. They only thing I've ever done is bump to RAM up to 8gb for about $80 a couple years ago, and I don't anticipate needing to replace it for at least another couple years or more. Still handles accounting software, photoshop, photo editing, etc without a problem.

    Same deal for the OG iPad that serves as our cash register. It was a day one purchase originally and still does everything we need it to. Not a bad ROI for a $500 tablet from 3 years ago.

    Steam: minor incident || PSN: inter-punct
    You may not find all that you're after. In the end I hope it doesn't matter.
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Has anyone heard anything about shipping for the iPhone 5 lately? Are carriers actually getting them out by their "ships by" dates, or are they backed up to oblivion?

    steam_sig.png
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    iMacs do have a pretty long usable lifespan. The one I use at my bakery is going on 4 or 5 years old (it was the first aluminum iMac) and it's still going strong. They only thing I've ever done is bump to RAM up to 8gb for about $80 a couple years ago, and I don't anticipate needing to replace it for at least another couple years or more. Still handles accounting software, photoshop, photo editing, etc without a problem.

    Same deal for the OG iPad that serves as our cash register. It was a day one purchase originally and still does everything we need it to. Not a bad ROI for a $500 tablet from 3 years ago.

    What are you guys using for POS? AccountEdge or Square Register?

  • minor incidentminor incident Helen Keller to the bullshit Registered User regular
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    iMacs do have a pretty long usable lifespan. The one I use at my bakery is going on 4 or 5 years old (it was the first aluminum iMac) and it's still going strong. They only thing I've ever done is bump to RAM up to 8gb for about $80 a couple years ago, and I don't anticipate needing to replace it for at least another couple years or more. Still handles accounting software, photoshop, photo editing, etc without a problem.

    Same deal for the OG iPad that serves as our cash register. It was a day one purchase originally and still does everything we need it to. Not a bad ROI for a $500 tablet from 3 years ago.

    What are you guys using for POS? AccountEdge or Square Register?

    We switched from Checkout ($500!) on the iMac over to Square Register ($0!) on the iPad at the beginning of the year and haven't looked back. It's been great.

    Steam: minor incident || PSN: inter-punct
    You may not find all that you're after. In the end I hope it doesn't matter.
    Abracadaniel
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Since when does Notes on iOS recognise tracking numbers and automagically turn them into hyperlinks? Because dang.

    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Since when does Notes on iOS recognise tracking numbers and automagically turn them into hyperlinks? Because dang.

    that's been iOS system wide for a while

    poo
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Since when does Notes on iOS recognise tracking numbers and automagically turn them into hyperlinks? Because dang.

    that's been iOS system wide for a while

    Huh. Is there some place that lists some or all of these 'hidden' features? Because I don't remember that one being widely announced.

    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • minor incidentminor incident Helen Keller to the bullshit Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Since when does Notes on iOS recognise tracking numbers and automagically turn them into hyperlinks? Because dang.

    that's been iOS system wide for a while

    Huh. Is there some place that lists some or all of these 'hidden' features? Because I don't remember that one being widely announced.

    It's basically tracking numbers, addresses, and phone numbers that will be auto-recognized and turned into links.

    Steam: minor incident || PSN: inter-punct
    You may not find all that you're after. In the end I hope it doesn't matter.
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    To answer my own question, it seems carriers (or at least Verizon) are getting iPhone 5's out by their "ships by" dates. Got my shipping confirmation this evening with a delivery date of the 31st. Ships by date was the 2nd when I placed my order.

    Just hoping that Sandy bitch plays nice and doesn't interfere with it getting here.

    steam_sig.png
  • SarksusSarksus Registered User regular
    I'm not sure if this isn't widely known but the store pick-up option is amazing if you have a nearby store. Friday night at 10pm I added a 5 to my cart, selected to pick it up at my store and did so the following morning when the store opened.

    Instead of waiting for a phone from the regular supply chain it essentially has you reserving one from a store's regular shipments and it's much faster and convenient.

    I upgraded from a 3GS and I am loving the 5. Every single thing is a huge improvement over the 3GS, with the exception that I kind of miss the curved back when holding it in my hand. I can't believe how fast everything is, UI and network wise.

  • minor incidentminor incident Helen Keller to the bullshit Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this isn't widely known but the store pick-up option is amazing if you have a nearby store. Friday night at 10pm I added a 5 to my cart, selected to pick it up at my store and did so the following morning when the store opened.

    Instead of waiting for a phone from the regular supply chain it essentially has you reserving one from a store's regular shipments and it's much faster and convenient.

    I upgraded from a 3GS and I am loving the 5. Every single thing is a huge improvement over the 3GS, with the exception that I kind of miss the curved back when holding it in my hand. I can't believe how fast everything is, UI and network wise.

    I've been trying to do this every couple of nights for the last 3 weeks. Every night at precisely 10pm, I check the website, and there are NO stores (out of the 3 or 4 nearby stores) with either of the models that my wife and I want (a black at&t 32gb, and a white at&t 32gb). One day there was a store in NYC (I'm in NJ) that had the white one, and while I debated it for a couple of minutes, it disappeared.

    I've pretty much given up finding one until next year.

    minor incident on
    Steam: minor incident || PSN: inter-punct
    You may not find all that you're after. In the end I hope it doesn't matter.
  • SarksusSarksus Registered User regular
    Yeah my store is in an area with not as many people as you probably have.

  • minor incidentminor incident Helen Keller to the bullshit Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Yeah my store is in an area with not as many people as you probably have.

    Most likely. It's brutal here. After a week of never seeing one available, I was convinced the system was broken, then I finally saw the one in an out of state store.

    Steam: minor incident || PSN: inter-punct
    You may not find all that you're after. In the end I hope it doesn't matter.
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Would a light leak be considered part of the basic, normal iPhone warranty? Got mine today and noticed upon booting it that there are a couple really noticeable spots on the top of the phone where light is leaking out. It's not a big deal when actually using the phone, and even against something with a dark background like Steam it's not something that stands out unless the darkness is cranked all the way (and even then you probably wouldn't notice it unless you looked for it), but I'm still contemplating getting it replaced if it's covered.

    Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Not sure if it's explicitly covered under warranty, but you might as well take it down to an Apple store and see if they'll accept it as a defect.

  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Nearest Apple store is 1.5 hours away on a day when traffic is really light, so that's not really viable :(.

    Got off the phone with support, and they're going to replace it with a refurb. I had the option to return it to Verizon for a full refund and order a new one, but fuck that. But they did good by me by setting me up with their express replacement option and waived the $30 shipping fee, though they can't do anything about the $600 hold on my card, and I called early enough that the overnighted replacement will be here tomorrow.

    steam_sig.png
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    New Nano get.
    God damn this thing is tiny. It's about half the weight of my old 3g Nano, and so feels like it will blow away in a strong breeze. Despite that it still feels exceptionally well put together and not fragile at all, not in the way the 4th and 5th gens did to me. The screen is nice and bright even on medium and quite viewable even outside, a problem I had with the earlier models. Oh and the lightning connector is also both tiny and sturdy, since it has a solid metal tab with contacts on the "outside" rather than a hollow shell that has to match a plastic key in the socket.
    The 'earpods' are actually quite comfortable and produce good enough sound and, despite the name, don't appear to be trying to turn me into a cyberman yet. Not sure if that's a good sign or not, TBH.
    Finally figured out how to rearrange the icons (duh, hold until they jiggle, just like iOS – many facepalms were had) but not sure how it will account for the vanishing ones (some, like audiobooks and iTunes uni don't appear unless you have relevant data. Video always exists though) however.

    Overall, I like what you get and that I can store my whole library on it (yes, I "only" have 14GB of music) but I think they could have splurged and put a volume control on the earphone cord. Most happy that the "it's a watch too!" gimmick is done even though that might actually have been viable with Bluetooth. Oh well.
    Gonna agree with gizmodo here; best pure MP3 player out there, but so is your phone, probably.

    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    I replaced my fiancees Shuffle with a new Nano, and I was surprised that it's basically the same size as her old square Shuffle, but bigger capacity with a touch screen.

    Though she's been annoyed that she can't find any obvious way to turn it off, so the only option is to let it sleep itself.

    -Loki- on
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Hold down the sleep button for 2-3 seconds. Same again to wake it back up.
    You probably want to check the manual on Apple's support site as well. All sorts of neat info there, like triple-clicking the play/pause button to skip back and holding it to hear the track name.

    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Is Sparrow still worth purchasing on the iPhone? I completely lost track of the app after Google bought them and I have no idea what the state of the app is.

    steam_sig.png
  • TefTef Registered User regular
    They're not updating it anymore, but it's fine on my iphone 4

  • ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I tried Sparrow, but didn't like how you couldn't get native notifications to work with it (due to Apple bein' jerks, obviously), and the only "solution" was an ugly workaround with boxcar.io.

    Other than that, it's a nice client, but not so much nicer than the built-in app that it's worth giving up OS integration for.

  • chrishallett83chrishallett83 Hi! Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    New Nano get.
    God damn this thing is tiny. It's about half the weight of my old 3g Nano, and so feels like it will blow away in a strong breeze. Despite that it still feels exceptionally well put together and not fragile at all, not in the way the 4th and 5th gens did to me. The screen is nice and bright even on medium and quite viewable even outside, a problem I had with the earlier models. Oh and the lightning connector is also both tiny and sturdy, since it has a solid metal tab with contacts on the "outside" rather than a hollow shell that has to match a plastic key in the socket.
    The 'earpods' are actually quite comfortable and produce good enough sound and, despite the name, don't appear to be trying to turn me into a cyberman yet. Not sure if that's a good sign or not, TBH.
    Finally figured out how to rearrange the icons (duh, hold until they jiggle, just like iOS – many facepalms were had) but not sure how it will account for the vanishing ones (some, like audiobooks and iTunes uni don't appear unless you have relevant data. Video always exists though) however.

    Overall, I like what you get and that I can store my whole library on it (yes, I "only" have 14GB of music) but I think they could have splurged and put a volume control on the earphone cord. Most happy that the "it's a watch too!" gimmick is done even though that might actually have been viable with Bluetooth. Oh well.
    Gonna agree with gizmodo here; best pure MP3 player out there, but so is your phone, probably.

    As soon as you get the chance, replace the earbuds with a pair of nice IEMs, it will make a WORLD of difference to the sound.

  • minor incidentminor incident Helen Keller to the bullshit Registered User regular
    Bullio wrote: »
    Is Sparrow still worth purchasing on the iPhone? I completely lost track of the app after Google bought them and I have no idea what the state of the app is.

    I was initially a big Sparrow fan, but since Google mothballed it, there's no reason to buy it. Save your money. If you need good Gmail integration, the native Gmail app has gotten substantially better since last year.

    Steam: minor incident || PSN: inter-punct
    You may not find all that you're after. In the end I hope it doesn't matter.
  • Blake TBlake T Registered User regular
    Imperfect wrote: »
    I tried Sparrow, but didn't like how you couldn't get native notifications to work with it (due to Apple bein' jerks, obviously), and the only "solution" was an ugly workaround with boxcar.io.

    Other than that, it's a nice client, but not so much nicer than the built-in app that it's worth giving up OS integration for.

    I'm with this 100%

    Until you can get banner notifications I really can't see myself switching to anything.

    (There is a jailbreak tweak for sparrow to get full banner/push notifications but I couldn't get it to work personally)

  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    So what are people using for iPhone 5 cases? I have some generic, super inexpensive hard plastic shell that's working fine so far but I'm not sure it's something I want to stick with. But I'm also not sure what else I'd want out of a case that this thing doesn't do. I've been considering maybe getting a wallet type case as the idea of having one less thing to keep track of is appealing, and it would have the added bonus of a protective cover for the screen for pocket storage. I'm open to suggestions, though.

    Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • SarksusSarksus Registered User regular
    Bullio wrote: »
    So what are people using for iPhone 5 cases? I have some generic, super inexpensive hard plastic shell that's working fine so far but I'm not sure it's something I want to stick with. But I'm also not sure what else I'd want out of a case that this thing doesn't do. I've been considering maybe getting a wallet type case as the idea of having one less thing to keep track of is appealing, and it would have the added bonus of a protective cover for the screen for pocket storage. I'm open to suggestions, though.

    I don't use a case. I decided to get a Dodocase Bookback for the back of my 5. It's an adhesive skin that is designed to make your device feel like a leatherbound book. It sits pretty flush with the back so the edges are not too noticeable. I have it on my iPad as well and it makes both devices feel great in my hand.

    If the glass screen breaks I'll just replace it. The 5's screen is super repairable in a DIY sense so I'm not afraid of it breaking, though I never dropped my 3GS in the three years I had it.

    Dodocase does have a wallet pouch, in any case:

    http://www.dodocase.com/products/wallet-for-iphone-5

  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Oh wow, I had no idea Dodo made BB's for the iPhone. I was wondering if something like that actually existed, but assumed it didn't. I have one on my iPad as well and I love it.

    steam_sig.png
  • floobiefloobie Registered User regular
    I'm back to going caseless with my 4S. When I did use a case, I used a case-mate barely there. They have nice colours and they're about as minimal as it gets.

    But, I figure, I paid for Apple Care. If I ever drop my phone and anything breaks (hasn't happened yet), I'll just have it replaced. Really, while shattering is an issue with glass, it's actually very scratch resistant. So, you don't really need to baby it.

  • minor incidentminor incident Helen Keller to the bullshit Registered User regular
    I hope you mean AppleCare+ because regular AppleCare doesn't cover accidental damage. And it'll still cost you $50 per incident if you drop the phone and need it replaced, even with AppleCare+.

    Steam: minor incident || PSN: inter-punct
    You may not find all that you're after. In the end I hope it doesn't matter.
  • floobiefloobie Registered User regular
    I hope you mean AppleCare+ because regular AppleCare doesn't cover accidental damage. And it'll still cost you $50 per incident if you drop the phone and need it replaced, even with AppleCare+.

    Yeah, it's the + version. I'm aware of the fee... but, given the unlikelihood of me dropping my phone, I'm fine with it.

  • minor incidentminor incident Helen Keller to the bullshit Registered User regular
    Okay, good, just looking out for you =]

    You'd be surprised how many people thought regular AppleCare was a full-on insurance plan.

    Steam: minor incident || PSN: inter-punct
    You may not find all that you're after. In the end I hope it doesn't matter.
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I really wish that Apple would let you engrave non English characters.
    I got my case for my new iPad 4 engraved (but not the iPad itself) and I wanted this for my engraving: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

    Oh well, went with a quote line that I like and will make it recognizable as mine.

    // Steam: VWinds // LoL: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // 3DS: 4682-8868-5037 // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    Dunno if this is a question for this threat or artists corner... Does anyone have a recommendation of a good stylus for the iPad? I have started taking drawing cartoons and comic strips (a loooooong time dream) in the last 6 months and it's actually... Well starting to look pretty good. I've been using the iPad mainly and having a good stylus would help out a lot.

    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

    PS2
    FF X replay

    PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

    360
    Bayonetta
    Fable 3

    DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    jeddy lee wrote: »
    Dunno if this is a question for this threat or artists corner... Does anyone have a recommendation of a good stylus for the iPad? I have started taking drawing cartoons and comic strips (a loooooong time dream) in the last 6 months and it's actually... Well starting to look pretty good. I've been using the iPad mainly and having a good stylus would help out a lot.

    http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/10/2925937/best-stylus-ipad-review

    steam_sig.png
  • jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    Bullio wrote: »
    jeddy lee wrote: »
    Dunno if this is a question for this threat or artists corner... Does anyone have a recommendation of a good stylus for the iPad? I have started taking drawing cartoons and comic strips (a loooooong time dream) in the last 6 months and it's actually... Well starting to look pretty good. I've been using the iPad mainly and having a good stylus would help out a lot.

    http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/10/2925937/best-stylus-ipad-review

    Thanks a ton!

    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

    PS2
    FF X replay

    PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

    360
    Bayonetta
    Fable 3

    DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • SarksusSarksus Registered User regular
    The Verge seems to like a fat tipped stylus the most but personally I prefer the plastic disc of the Adonit Jot for writing and drawing. It feels really precise, the only issue I've had is getting used to the max 45 degree angle and keeping the disc clean.

    The Jot also comes in a touch sensitive version.

    And if you haven't tried them yet, you should look into Procreate and Paper for drawing on the iPad. The brush engines are amazing.

    minor incident
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    So I have this set for my lockscreen.

    6Alks.jpg

    Thought someone else here might want it.

    steam_sig.png
  • KalTorakKalTorak Way up inside your butthole, Morty. WAAAAY up inside there.Registered User regular
    Nice, thanks!

    I always thought that image would make a nice Macbook-sticker (like this) with the Apple logo as the moon and making his eyes glow.

Sign In or Register to comment.