Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[iPhone/iPod/iPad] Thread - The headphone jack is going to be on the bottom! *POW*

1545556575860»

• ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Ziggymon wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Except for the lack of an eraser function (i.e. a second end).
    Also it would be great if it could clip onto the smart connector rather than sticking out of the lightning port…
    Hey, maybe one could solve the issues with the other?

(Coming soon to the Apple Pen…)

the lack of eraser end is annoying, sure... but the UIs on apps that make use of the pen have gotten around that handily.

The latency and immediacy of pen to screen makes it better than even a high end intuos. Like, it looks like there is no gap between the pen and the surface you are drawing on.

It's better for general notes than any other digitizer around, however for higher end drawing skills the Wacom is still king with pressure sensitivity. I do appreciate the long battery and quick charging.

Apple hasn't published the pressure sensitivity, but people who have used both say it is comparable to the 1024 or so that the intuos devices use, but with less latency and really fantastic angle tracking.

The reason an intuos is better than an iPad Pro is access to full photoshop/illustrator. Otherwise the pencil is just better.

Mind you, those apps are a big reason to choose Wacom.

I have both devices and the pencil while workable is around half the sensitivity of the Wacom. If you want a better value device that works all round then the pro with Astropad is a fantastic alternative to the high end Wacom. However when looking at the more complex levels of work there is huge limitations with the pencil.

I have REZ for the Dreamcast PAL for sale £35. Other Excellent retro games for sale PM for details
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Apprently itunes updated at some point to allow users to delete music from their devices again.

So... that's good.

Pac Man's character is difficult to explain even to the Japanese -- he is an innocent character. He hasn't been educated to discern between good and evil. He acts more like a small child than a grown-up person. Think of him as a child learning in the course of his daily activities. If someone tells him guns are evil, he would be the type to rush out and eat guns. But he would most probably eat any gun, even the pistols of policemen who need them.
    edited January 14
    My dad walked into our phone place to get a new phone and walked out with a ipad for my mom and iwatch 1 for me.

I have no idea what to do with this fuckin' thing. I'm a store manager and a barista so it's not of any use there.

The only thing it could help me maybe do is keep my phone out of my bedroom to reduce distraction. Is it possible to have my phone in another room, muted, while my watch alerts me to calls and texts, loud enough to wake me if necessary?

august on
    Pac Man's character is difficult to explain even to the Japanese -- he is an innocent character. He hasn't been educated to discern between good and evil. He acts more like a small child than a grown-up person. Think of him as a child learning in the course of his daily activities. If someone tells him guns are evil, he would be the type to rush out and eat guns. But he would most probably eat any gun, even the pistols of policemen who need them.
  • OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited January 14
    august wrote: »
    My dad walked into our phone place to get a new phone and walked out with a ipad for my mom and iwatch 1 for me.

I have no idea what to do with this fuckin' thing. I'm a store manager and a barista so it's not of any use there.

The only thing it could help me maybe do is keep my phone out of my bedroom to reduce distraction. Is it possible to have my phone in another room, muted, while my watch alerts me to calls and texts, loud enough to wake me if necessary?

I've found the watch most useful as a series of small conveniences. You can have the watch mirror your iPhone's notification settings, or have its own, and it can beep/vibrate pretty loudly. Its Bluetooth range is pretty good, and apparently it can be setup to work with a phone on the same wifi network in the absence of Bluetooth, but I've had some issues with that and not enough trouble elsewhere to merit fixing it.

Daily use for me is typically: As a watch! But also quickly checking weather, checking notifications (email, texts, news alerts) without pulling out my phone, as a remote for AppleTV, controlling music, texting through Siri when I'm cooking or driving. Also nice to have a more reliable fitness tracker that I have a better excuse to wear.

Rarer but pleasant uses: vibration alerts when it's time to turn during long drives, sending 'heartbeats' to my wife (gimmicky, but I like the premise), setting timers when my phone is elsewhere in the house, and a remote camera button (setup the phone to take a picture, get into the frame, use to watch to check what the phone is seeing/take pictures).

My wife likes that it lets her lead meditation/yoga groups and change the music to the next on the playlist without interrupting the flow of things, which is a pretty decent example of the benefits it offers. Nothing drastic, but a lot of small benefits that you don't notice so much until you're using them. Mine was a gift that I had no idea what to use for, but I'm a fan now.

Edit: Oh, and it's also a reasonably functional replacement for your phone calls/texts in general. Phone call quality is good on both ends, and though it's a little arduous to send long text messages, you can setup quick replies (and it comes with a lot initially) that come in handy. Speech to text is competent but not perfect, but I generally hate dictating so I don't have a great deal of experience with that feature.

Edit edit: And you can put a decent amount of songs on the phone for a workout playlist and pair it with a set of Bluetooth headphones so you don't have to bring your phone along with you on runs, which I like.

OneAngryPossum on
    Ziggymon
    None of those are super compelling to me, although it may come in handy in a workout context once I recover from a work injury. But if I'm working out I'll be having my phone with me anyway, because it would be crazy to be out of the house sans phone. And I have the text alerts volume cranked and there's no way it's loud enough to wake me or even consistently alert me to new text messages, so that use case is out. Basically as far as I can tell this thing was created so that people who make 10x more than me can pretend like they're paying attention during meetings. How much could I potentially sell it/trade it in for?

• admanbadmanb the bored genie Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    august wrote: »
    None of those are super compelling to me, although it may come in handy in a workout context once I recover from a work injury. But if I'm working out I'll be having my phone with me anyway, because it would be crazy to be out of the house sans phone. And I have the text alerts volume cranked and there's no way it's loud enough to wake me or even consistently alert me to new text messages, so that use case is out. Basically as far as I can tell this thing was created so that people who make 10x more than me can pretend like they're paying attention during meetings. How much could I potentially sell it/trade it in for?

Loud enough? Are you not using the haptic feedback?

I'd like it to alert me when I'm not wearing it. Call alert is plenty loud, but texts is just the ding.

• TubeTube Administrator, ClubPA admin
    Does anyone have any idea why pairing headphones to the Apple Watch is so inconsistent? They're in range, powered on (they're even showing as pairable) but it seems totally random whether or not they'll pair. Every other device (windows or phone) finds them just fine.

• maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Gonna be picking up that sweet sweet 128GB iPhone SE pretty soon to replace my aging iPhone 5c. I was going for an SE earlier in the year but something told me to wait it out, and I'm glad I did.

Now to figure out what service provider I'm going with...urgh.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Pretty big IOS update coming today apparently

Apple's switching over to their new file system

• Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    Are there any third party apple watch chargers yet? My cats have now chewed through another one and I'm really starting to hate dropping $40 every time this happens so I can use my watch.

nigh.jpg
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    Are there any third party apple watch chargers yet? My cats have now chewed through another one and I'm really starting to hate dropping $40 every time this happens so I can use my watch.

Searching amazon for "Apple Watch charger" turns up plenty of choices.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
    Seeking writers; editors; developers; researchers; accountant; marketing; social media.
    PM me to join our grassroots political news organization today! We really are doing this folks!
    Torchlight Media. Citizens. Journalists.
  • ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I'd strongly suggest against getting third-party chargers. The few cases of Apple devices having serious battery issues (like setting on fire) have nearly all be traced to badly-behaving third-party chargers. Even if it doesn't blow up on your wrist, it can definitely affect the life of your battery.

Consider getting some bitter spray from a pet store. I used this way back in the day to ensure my rats didn't go biting on wires they weren't supposed to.

a5ehren
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Don't buy third party chargers

Imperfect
  • Bobkins FlymoBobkins Flymo Fantastic Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 31
    It would be nice if the puck was its own thing that had a lightning cable plug into it.

Bobkins Flymo on
    U9Syuit.png
    Banzai5150