Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[iPhone/iPod/iPad] Thread - The headphone jack is going to be on the bottom! *POW*

1626364656668»

• htmhtm Registered User regular
    Sterica wrote: »
    The Mac Pro stuff is weird because it highlights commercial-grade tech at what tends to be more of a consumer event.

Disney does not care about $1000 stands.

I thought it made a lot of sense to show it at WWDC. It has enough proprietary features that they need to generate interest among developers to support it. Also, lots of developers will probably buy it just because it'll be the fastest Mac available. Xcode is a CPU hog.

And yeah, the stand is a piece of desk jewelry. It's probably CNC milled out of a single chunk of aluminum, and it has a Jony Ive custom-designed miracle hinge. It's undoubtedly beautiful, but it seems like the solid gold Apple watch: a product that Sir Jony had fun designing but was never meant to sell in huge quantities. I bet it kicks off renaissance in the third-party VESA mount market, though.

• ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    So spending a solid week of trying out the new IPadOS on my 12.9 iPad Pro 2018 and its like a whole new machine. Makes this device a legitimate alternative for my laptop finally. It’s only beta right now but can see the huge potential.

I have REZ for the Dreamcast PAL for sale £35. Other Excellent retro games for sale PM for details
    OneAngryPossumCyvros
  • OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Ziggymon wrote: »
    So spending a solid week of trying out the new IPadOS on my 12.9 iPad Pro 2018 and its like a whole new machine. Makes this device a legitimate alternative for my laptop finally. It’s only beta right now but can see the huge potential.

How’s the mouse accessibility? I love my Pro with the keyboard, but editing long sections of text on it is kind of a nightmare with a pure touch interface.

How’s the mouse accessibility? I love my Pro with the keyboard, but editing long sections of text on it is kind of a nightmare with a pure touch interface.

The gesture controls for editing text are good now and have use for long text pieces. I was able to edit huge amounts of text with ease and load files/file downloads simply too.

The “mouse support” is still limited and acts as a touch screen pointer rather than true mouse support so no right /left click etc. So I wouldn’t wholly rely on it working as you would expect. Almost think of it like old school Mac OS.

I have REZ for the Dreamcast PAL for sale £35. Other Excellent retro games for sale PM for details
    OneAngryPossumsyndalisCyvros
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited July 7

The gesture controls for editing text are good now and have use for long text pieces. I was able to edit huge amounts of text with ease and load files/file downloads simply too.

The “mouse support” is still limited and acts as a touch screen pointer rather than true mouse support so no right /left click etc. So I wouldn’t wholly rely on it working as you would expect. Almost think of it like old school Mac OS.

yeah, I have a logitech mouse that is bluetooth and can pair with three devices, so I have my desk machine at work, my laptop, and now an iPad running iPadOS paired with it.

At the moment it feels more like a novelty outside of an accessibility context (lots of assistive devices that work like mice, and having a visual indicator on screen of where the cursor is is great for that).

Like Ziggy said, the gestures are much better, and the multitasking is so superior from the last iteration that its not even remotely comparable.

Also, the web browser is both a great and a terrible change. Now that it is broadcasting as the desktop browser you get the desktop site (and desktop video controls from whatever site you are on) all the time. For things like google apps it is a major upgrade, but for video sites it feels like a step back in terms of user friendliness. Also, desktopstyle ads, where ads can be animated, refresh on page, etc.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • EchoEcho Moderator mod
    Hmm, this is the second time my iPhone 8 stopped doing wireless charging until I restarted it.

Echo wrote: »
    Let they who have not posted about their balls in the wrong thread cast the first stone.
    syndalis wrote: »

yeah, I have a logitech mouse that is bluetooth and can pair with three devices, so I have my desk machine at work, my laptop, and now an iPad running iPadOS paired with it.

At the moment it feels more like a novelty outside of an accessibility context (lots of assistive devices that work like mice, and having a visual indicator on screen of where the cursor is is great for that).

Like Ziggy said, the gestures are much better, and the multitasking is so superior from the last iteration that its not even remotely comparable.

Also, the web browser is both a great and a terrible change. Now that it is broadcasting as the desktop browser you get the desktop site (and desktop video controls from whatever site you are on) all the time. For things like google apps it is a major upgrade, but for video sites it feels like a step back in terms of user friendliness. Also, desktopstyle ads, where ads can be animated, refresh on page, etc.

Yeah the browser is really the only thing that needs work. Ideally something that can easily switch between desktop and mobile at the users wish without fuss. I’m hoping for final release to have improved this.

The side multitask app thing is an absolute dream to use though. It’s so simple I cant think why Apple haven’t thought of this years ago.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Is there a list of all the new gestures and features somewhere? I’m in the beta as well but I really don’t feel like I’m putting it through it’s paces properly.

Also, you can switch to mobile view on any tab; just tap the left hand end of the address bar for a bunch of options.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Is there a list of all the new gestures and features somewhere? I’m in the beta as well but I really don’t feel like I’m putting it through it’s paces properly.

Also, you can switch to mobile view on any tab; just tap the left hand end of the address bar for a bunch of options.
    There is also a new 2-finger gestures when looking at item lists (like emails and notes). Without changing mode, simply drag 2 fingers up or down a list of items, and iPadOS will switch into the select/edit mode and allow you to quickly select multiple items. This makes selecting longs lists of notes or emails fast and easy.

A second gesture that uses 2 fingers is drag and drop between apps. It’s not new in iPadOS 13, but it is one of the more powerful gestures in the system that makes the iPad great. To use drag and drop, simply select some text, choose an image, or press and hold for a moment on almost any piece of content in the system. From there, you’ll see the item lift off the app.

Once that is in hand, using another finger (or your other hand) swipe or tap into another app, and drop the item in your first hand where you want the content to go. This could be useful for dropping an image into an email, or taking something from a note and dropping it into Safari.

Copy-Cut-Paste also got a gesture overhaul in iPadOS, allowing you to use a 3-finger-pinch to copy, a second 3-finger-pinch to cut, and a 3-finger-drop (spreading your fingers) to paste. During the keynote demo, this seemed very buggy, but in our testing, it’s actually bee reasonably reliable.

Another gesture that you can do with 3 fingers is undo/redo. By swiping 3 fingers across the screen to the left or right, you can undo or redo (respectively) the previous action. This makes it faster and less awkward than shaking your device to undo a type-o or the dreaded accidental-over-delete.

The browser changes exist but don't function that fluidly. I know that changing between some can crash the app too.