As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[iPhone/iPod/iPad] Thread - When this thread started phones had headphone jacks

• GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Is there a reason why the ipad (especially on chrome) can only keep a maximum of two pages cached at a time? It makes it impossible to multitask by say, running a podcast in one tab while using others. It can't be a hardware issue surely? I have a 10 year old computer that can have 20 tabs open without breaking a sweat.

I did this on the first gen iPad by using Safari. Safari will open any file the OS can play and can be safely exited with the music still going. Try doing that, then launching chrome for the actual web browsing.

PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    iOS 7 beta 2 released today. Seems a lot snappier all around. Haven't had it long enough to report on battery drain.

XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    I am now an iPhone 5 owner. Damn the screen on this thing is gorgeous.

I dropped my 4S about a month and a half ago and cracked the screen. Since then it had started to go completely haywire. Freezing when I got text messages, crashing and total reboots, etc. I finally came up for an upgrade today and jumped on it.

Also, having LTE support is really nice. I am actually pleasantly surprised at Sprint's LTE coverage in the area. I don't have it at my house, but that's fine I just connect to my wireless here. But it seems to have decent coverage everywhere else I frequent in the city, including at work.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    Anyone ever have an issue with the sleep/wake buttons on their iPhone?

My sleep/wake/power button has just entirely stopped working. I've got an appointment set up at the Genius Bar sometime soon, but I'm curious how this kind of thing plays out. Will they really want to take my phone for "between X and Y business days" (kind of a no-go as this is my only phone) or will they just go "yep, that's a hardware button not working, here's a new phone"?

edited July 2013
    This is purely anecdotal, but every time I've had a hardware issue with an Apple device (once with my iPad, once with my phone), it was replaced on the spot. I've never been asked to give up a device for X or Y days.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    This is purely anecdotal, but every time I've had a hardware issue with an Apple device (once with my iPad, once with my phone), it was replaced on the spot. I've never been asked to give up a device for X or Y days.

Yep. Typically only computers get repaired. iOS devices get swapped. There are exceptions where computers will just be swapped, but only under certain extenuating circumstances.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
    Sweet. That's good to hear. Thanks, gents.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    That always troubles me slightly; what about data? What about the device's MAC address? Do they do any transfers?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    edited July 2013
    Data can be backed up, which they will offer to do right there. The iDevice backup suite is very good now. When I went iPhone 4 -> 5 on Saturday, I just backed my 4 up to my MacBook Air, and then restored the backup to my 5. Everything but passwords was restored. Pictures, notes, reminders, alarms, contact list, call list, everything. Right down to the way my icons and folders were laid out.

Device MAC's will change, but only in extreme cases (MAC filtering) should that matter. If you use something like Blizzard Authenticator that is tied to MAC address, remove the authenticator from your account before you switch phones, then add it back.

GnomeTank on
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Data can be backed up, which they will offer to do right there. The iDevice backup suite is very good now. When I went iPhone 4 -> 5 on Saturday, I just backed my 4 up to my MacBook Air, and then restored the backup to my 5. Everything but passwords was restored. Pictures, notes, reminders, alarms, contact list, call list, everything. Right down to the way my icons and folders were laid out.

Device MAC's will change, but only in extreme cases (MAC filtering) should that matter. If you use something like Blizzard Authenticator that is tied to MAC address, remove the authenticator from your account before you switch phones, then add it back.

Authenticators have "recovery codes" now that can be used instead of uninstalling/removing from account. Think you need the serial number of the authenticator in addition to the code, both of which are provided by the app.

steam_sig.png
    Well that's good. I screwed myself once on accident by not removing the authenticator when I switched phones.

• IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Yeah I took a screen grab of my recovery code in the Battlenet Authenticator app so if I ever need to have the phone replaced I'd have it easily available.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I had a shitty volume down button, and I regularly backup through iCloud. I took my phone in and they swapped it on the spot, and wiped the old phone in front of me before they took it away. All of my apps came back to the same spots on my screens, and they offered me free use of the in-store wifi to redownload them all. That being several gigs, I declined and went and did it on the (un-flooded) work network, but it was still kind of them to offer.

But yeah, good point about authenticators. I have like 4 on my phone and I had to go digging into my backup files to recover those accounts. Derp.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Cool, thanks guys.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Hey guys, what's that space command game for iOS? It's played on multiple iPads and has like all the controls of the ship and you have to call out what to do for other players in order to go on to the next round.

It was played at PAX East this year I think. I just got a Surface and I was hoping it was available as a Windows 8 App. Sorry if this is sacrilege coming to the iThread to talk about Windows apps.

Edit - Nevermind I found it. It's called SpaceTeam, and isn't even out on Android yet.

KoopahTroopah on
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular

To add to this, if you password protect the backup by checking the Encrypt option in iTunes when it's plugged in and setting a password for the backup, when you restore you won't have to re-enter most passwords (for stuff like email accounts, etc)

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4946

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Has anyone had an issue with... whatever deals with signals from the play/pause remote button on headphones? I've had problems with it for months now. Usually with regular music it works fine, but if I have a podcast or audiobook queued up and I press the remote button to start it playing, it'll either stutter or smear along like the button is getting pressed a million times a second (if I press the Lock button to wake up the screen sometimes that will set it straight, but then in 5 seconds when the screen goes to sleep it'll start screwing up again), or it'll play for 5-10 seconds and then just stop. The little "play" symbol in the upper right hand corner is still there, but no sound and the marker isn't advancing. The only surefire way I can get it to work is by actually going into the Music app (or double-clicking the home button from lock) and pressing the onscreen play button; anything that involves the remote starting audio just makes it spazz out (pausing the audio with the remote seems to work fine).

• MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Uh, so I have what I imagine is a pretty common problem:

I have an old laptop with a large library of iTunes store music, an iPhone synced to that laptop's library, and a new laptop that does not have the aforementioned library. I feel like content management gets more opaque with every new version of iTunes; what's the appropriate way to reconcile these devices? As it stands, I can't (I think) buy music on the new laptop and add it to the phone unless I agree to wipe the phone and sync it with the new laptop's non-library.

I guess I'm hoping that a) nothing will blow up if I manually copy files from one laptop to another, but that b) there's an even easier way to handle this?

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Mahnmut wrote: »

I have an old laptop with a large library of iTunes store music, an iPhone synced to that laptop's library, and a new laptop that does not have the aforementioned library. I feel like content management gets more opaque with every new version of iTunes; what's the appropriate way to reconcile these devices? As it stands, I can't (I think) buy music on the new laptop and add it to the phone unless I agree to wipe the phone and sync it with the new laptop's non-library.

I guess I'm hoping that a) nothing will blow up if I manually copy files from one laptop to another, but that b) there's an even easier way to handle this?

Just copy the folders full of music to the Automatically Add to iTunes folder. Doesn't get much simpler.

• MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    Esh wrote: »
    Mahnmut wrote: »

Just copy the folders full of music to the Automatically Add to iTunes folder. Doesn't get much simpler.

Thank you, sir. :^:

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Ghost Trick is half off: $4.99 for the complete game.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Ghost Trick is half off: $4.99 for the complete game.

Everyone should play Ghost Trick.

Hmmmmm, looks like some nice stuff is free today (for no-one-knows-how-long)...

Infinity Blade II: https://itunes.apple.com/app/id447689011
    Angry Birds HD: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id541517597
    Badland: https://itunes.apple.com/app/id535176909

I already know there are several app/programs that let you stream your iPhone/iPad's content to your PC display.

But do any of them work as well as an Apple TV? I wouldn't mind a program that let me display on my PC (which is hooked up to my TV) while keeping the same resolutions from a video app (be it YouTube, Netflix or what have you).

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I already know there are several app/programs that let you stream your iPhone/iPad's content to your PC display.

But do any of them work as well as an Apple TV? I wouldn't mind a program that let me display on my PC (which is hooked up to my TV) while keeping the same resolutions from a video app (be it YouTube, Netflix or what have you).

http://www.airserver.com

Best you will get. AppleTV is by far the easiest solution out there, but this is really damn good, and useful if you already have an HTPC or use your computer as a media watching hub.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I haven't been watching, but word has it that Google just now announced a $35 dongle for your TV that supports some sort of airplay-style streaming, compatible with iOS/Android and the Chrome browser. Might be worth keeping an eye on.

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I'm trying to come up with reasons I'd need one because I really want one. Realistically I have no use for one because I have an HTPC for all of my streaming, Youtube, and media playback needs, but that isn't stopping me from still wanting one.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
    Chromecast

$35, stream from pretty much anything to your TV with minimal setup.

Only available in the USA right now (daaaaamn).

I'm still lugging my MBP with HDMI cord over to my TV when I want to play a Netflix or Hulu on it, so

yeah probably going to buy this

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    It looks cool, but I am also already all set in that regard. Mac mini + Plex connected to the tv.

edited July 2013
    syndalis wrote: »

http://www.airserver.com

Best you will get. AppleTV is by far the easiest solution out there, but this is really damn good, and useful if you already have an HTPC or use your computer as a media watching hub.

Of the ones listed so far this is the cheapest option ($14.99).

The question is will I get a perfect resolution/no lag when using it, as I would using an Apple TV. It has a free trial so I guess I can give that a shot.

I also wonder if it will instantly work if I hit the TV icon on my iOS device, regardless of what's playing on my display.

The only reason I'm looking into this is for a couple of video apps that aren't 100% stable on XBMC, else I wouldn't need this at all. I have an Apple TV in the living room and it works great, but I can't justify the cost for personal use just for a couple of apps.

Edit: Tried Apple Server. YouTube seems to work fine, but the app I wanted to get working just shows a black picture and no sound. Bummer.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    I wanted to listen again to an audiobook that I bought a while ago and have now discovered that Apple only allow you to download an audiobook once, after which you're expected to buy it again. Burn Apple to the ground.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I wanted to listen again to an audiobook that I bought a while ago and have now discovered that Apple only allow you to download an audiobook once, after which you're expected to buy it again. Burn Apple to the ground.

Try Apple support. I've heard of them fixing this manually.

Yep, support will usually sort you out. It's an annoying policy, and they know it.

• RBachRBach Registered User regular
    What baffles me is that Audible provides most (if not all) of the audiobook content for the iTunes Store, and they let you redownload books purchased through them all you want. I'm not sure if Audible won't allow Apple to allow redownloads to keep a competitive advantage or if there's something even weirder going on with distribution rights. I mean, it's not like Apple wants to piss people off with this: every other media type in the iTunes Store can be redownloaded at this point.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RBach wrote: »
    What baffles me is that Audible provides most (if not all) of the audiobook content for the iTunes Store, and they let you redownload books purchased through them all you want. I'm not sure if Audible won't allow Apple to allow redownloads to keep a competitive advantage or if there's something even weirder going on with distribution rights. I mean, it's not like Apple wants to piss people off with this: every other media type in the iTunes Store can be redownloaded at this point.

For what it's worth, that was always the running theory amongst those of us at Apple not privy to these negotiations (which was, well, almost all of us).

• redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    I want to stream games from my iPad to Twitch.tv. How can I make this happen?

Right now I try to use Reflector to airplay to my laptop, then I use Xsplit to capture the part of my screen the ipad screen is on, then I stream....and it is unwatchable. I already assume that it is because my laptop is from like 2008, but I feel like there might be a better way to stream directly to my laptop via cable.

Thanks for any help.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    redfield85 wrote: »
    I want to stream games from my iPad to Twitch.tv. How can I make this happen?

Right now I try to use Reflector to airplay to my laptop, then I use Xsplit to capture the part of my screen the ipad screen is on, then I stream....and it is unwatchable. I already assume that it is because my laptop is from like 2008, but I feel like there might be a better way to stream directly to my laptop via cable.

Thanks for any help.

http://www.elgato.com/gaming/game-capture-hd

This plus the HDMI cable for your iPad will provide a seamless solution with no real problems.

Might be more than you want to pay though.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    I tell you what, say what you like about Apple but their customer service is shit hot.

Hells yes.

Every once in a while I consider the latest fancy Android phone and drool over it slightly.

Then I remember my buddies absolute shitshow trying to get their carriers to fix it when something goes wrong. That versus me walking into the Apple store, pointing out the broken volume button and getting a BRAND-NEW phone in five minutes.