As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[iPhone/iPod/iPad] Thread - When this thread started phones had headphone jacks

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    They’re already doing it to some degree, if I understood that bike tracking thing correctly.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    htm wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    Heh, someone had an amazingly simple idea for good use of AirTags: know where your luggage is on the airport luggage carousel.

AirTags are going to be one of those slow burn Apple businesses where they do fine at the start, but six years later, they're making Apple $20 billion/year. There's going to be at least one reason why every iOS user will want at least one.

I wonder if apple will license the chip for third parties. So you could have a piece of tech with an airtag chip come pre-built into the device.

As I understand, the Find My network is open to third-party usage, so no reason someone couldn't ship a widget that natively works with it, no separate tracker needed.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    They’re already doing it to some degree, if I understood that bike tracking thing correctly.

I suspect what it will be missing is the ultrawideband directional proximity tracking, as that is specific to the apple chips, but location-based stuff and utilizing the find my network could be done with existing tracking hardware, even tiles, if tile wanted to participate in this (they dont)

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Yeah, Apple is walling off access to the UWB chip in the iPhone, meaning AirTags will always have an (arguably) unfair competitive advantage over other products.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    iOS 14.5 and watchOS 7.4 are out. tvOS 14.5 too.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    You can unlock your phone with a watch now but for some reason not an iPad.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    KPCKPC Registered User regular
    Six wrote: »

Yeah the phone-watch connection was the hardest to crack because in general the phone unlocks the watch and how do you work out the logic to figure out which direction a user would want to go at any moment? I think the iPad is relatively easy in comparison; just depends if Apple thinks it's important enough to implement.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

Whats crazy is that you can also unlock your mac with a watch and have been able to do so for years now. The iPad is now the odd man out - they should really address that.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Did they sneak in a Safari update? Seems a bit snappier on iPad today…

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Did they sneak in a Safari update? Seems a bit snappier on iPad today…

Could just be that ram/cache cleared after a reboot.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    syndalis wrote: »

I suspect what it will be missing is the ultrawideband directional proximity tracking, as that is specific to the apple chips, but location-based stuff and utilizing the find my network could be done with existing tracking hardware, even tiles, if tile wanted to participate in this (they dont)

They're talking about "find the earbuds", so I would expect a properly certified accessory will work exactly like an Apple-branded.

Also,
    Today Apple is also announcing a draft specification for chipset manufacturers that will be released later this spring. With this, third-party device makers will be able to take advantage of Ultra Wideband technology in U1-equipped Apple devices, creating a more precise, directionally aware experience when nearby.

So I'd assume yeah, using that spec, everything will work right.

Edit: Ah yeah, check it. https://chipolo.net/en-us/pages/chipolo-one-spot

Tile is bitching 'cause they don't want APIs, they want unrestricted chip access, and no bloody thank you.

dporowski on
  • Options
    dporowski wrote: »

They're talking about "find the earbuds", so I would expect a properly certified accessory will work exactly like an Apple-branded.

Also,
    Today Apple is also announcing a draft specification for chipset manufacturers that will be released later this spring. With this, third-party device makers will be able to take advantage of Ultra Wideband technology in U1-equipped Apple devices, creating a more precise, directionally aware experience when nearby.

So I'd assume yeah, using that spec, everything will work right.

Edit: Ah yeah, check it. https://chipolo.net/en-us/pages/chipolo-one-spot

Tile is bitching 'cause they don't want APIs, they want unrestricted chip access, and no bloody thank you.

Seems like they're not licensing out the chip but rather specifications to allow existing Apple U1 devices to "see" these products. Smart.

Tile can f-off; they had months, if not years, to prepare for this eventuality. Now they're crying to the parents to make Apple stop being so mean.

• Options
    So my airtags and keychain have shipped and I will be playing around with them some time tomorrow.

@Mr_Rose I'll tell you how the iPad pairing works out tomorrow evening.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Less Awesome!

My keychain arrived but my airtags are currently in the air between tokyo and somewhere in america, so I doubt I see them before someone else on the internet answers the question for us.

That said, I also managed to order an iPad Pro 12.9" this morning, to arrive in late may. Space Gray, 512GB, 5G.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Baron DirigibleBaron Dirigible Registered User regular
    Ordered myself a 12.9" 256gb wifi space grey on Friday night. It was apparently a pretty unpopular configuration since it sat in my cart for about half an hour while I made my mind up about spending this much on my first iPad, and the release date didn't shift at all.

Excited to get my hands on it now — I’ve been considering ditching my Mac for an iPad for a few years now, but there always seemed to be a reason not to pull the trigger. (I probably would have last year if it had been more than just a minor speed bump to the 2018 model.)

Thoughts on the magic keyboard vs getting a standard, non-keyboard cover and just using the bluetooth keyboard and trackpad I already own? I get that the magic keyboard is better for portability, but is that it?

• Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    Amazon seems to think they can get me a Pro 12.9" (128Gb wifi) by the 28th of May. I assume it's fairly safe since Amazon is an authorized Apple reseller? Says ships and sold by Amazon. Any downsides I'm missing? I can always add Applecare later direct from Apple yeah?

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    @Mr_Rose

I was able to pair the airtag to a many year old iPad, no issue whatsoever.

zm9e15npmyko.jpg

So, not sure if anyone had gotten to you on that yet or not, but it does work, I am guessing so long as it works with AirPods or PowerBeats Pro or any other device that uses that pairing method.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Awesome, thanks!

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Also, somehow I missed this, but there is a HUGE unadvertised difference between the 512GB and lower, and 1GB and larger iPad Pro 12.9" models in 2021.

The ones with a gig or more storage have 16GB of RAM. The ones at 512 or smaller only have 8 gigs.

... fuck. I ordered the 512GB model.

I really feel like the shoe is going to drop at WWDC and they will be putting something wild on the iPad pro, like xcode or full blown MacOS App support. Think about it - the same chip, with the same amount of ram, as the wildly successful M1 MacBook Pro, with a thunderbolt 4 port. I think I might cancel my order and upgrade to the one with 16 gigs.

edit: yup, canceled my late may preorder, replaced it with a mid july preorder of the 2TB model with 16GB. There is a not so small chance that this machine ends up replacing my laptop for most things, so I decided to future proof myself for the next 4-5 years. If they make it so that I could run vs code or xcode on my iPad, I am going to want those 16 gigs.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Huh. If it ends up that I can run all my backend developer nonsense (ie, Docker containers) then color me extremely interested in that as a setup.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Huh. If it ends up that I can run all my backend developer nonsense (ie, Docker containers) then color me extremely interested in that as a setup.

Docker, or some implementation of docker by Apple that can run standard containers, would be key. I think I would prefer an apple implementation which they expose as a "kit" so that any IDE or git tool or whatever can access the containers directly...

Keeps things properly sandboxed in an apple-friendly way, but gives you the ability to, say, run a LAMP stack or Service Fabric or whatever for the purposes of application development? Would be amazing.

Either that or just let me Boot Camp into MacOS.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    They absolutely have to announce some kind of overhaul of iPad OS this year. the iPad line, especially the pro, is already hugely software limited, and sticking the M1 in the iPad Pro without some kind of overhaul on iPad OS to actually *do* something with that horsepower is just a waste otherwise.

• Options
    Yeah, their reason of "icons have bigger spacing than on iPhone so we can't let you place widgets freely like you can on iOS because of that" was just amazingly weaksauce.

Widgets on iPadOS are just bleh because of that.

• Options
    I think you'll see iOS-like widget placement for iPad OS. I think you'll also see pro apps like Final Cut, Logic, and Xcode on iPad OS. They'll probably not tweak the springboard, nor will they introduce things like windows and such. Given Apple's tendencies, they generally make tiny steps towards where they want to get to, which is where a lot of the frustrations come from with regards to enticing regular PC users.

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    iPad OS feels so outdated right now. Widgets suck, there’s no App Library, and uou can’t unlock with the watch like your can elsewhere. I totally stopped organizing apps on my phone except for one page and it is SO MUCH BETTER but can’t do that on the iOS which really blows.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    iPad OS feels so outdated right now. Widgets suck, there’s no App Library, and uou can’t unlock with the watch like your can elsewhere. I totally stopped organizing apps on my phone except for one page and it is SO MUCH BETTER but can’t do that on the iOS which really blows.

At this point there is literally no reason for an iPad to have a thunderbolt port, native monitor support and 16 gigs of RAM on an Mx platform unless they were going to open it up to do a lot more this June.

I am taking a calculated risk and buying in now because it doesn't make any sense otherwise. I suspect that in the same way MacBooks can run iPad apps, iPads will need to be able to run MacBook apps, and this past year or two of getting used to a real mouse cursor in iPadOS, and all the shared libraries, has set the stage to do just that.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    As a graphic designer, all I really need is for Apple to say the magic words that you can run all Mac OS apps on iPad OS, even x86 apps because they've ported over Rosetta 2, and I'll be good. I can potentially replace my M1 Mac mini AND my 2017 MacBook Pro with one portable device. Pretty huge if true.

• Options
    KPC wrote: »
    As a graphic designer, all I really need is for Apple to say the magic words that you can run all Mac OS apps on iPad OS, even x86 apps because they've ported over Rosetta 2, and I'll be good. I can potentially replace my M1 Mac mini AND my 2017 MacBook Pro with one portable device. Pretty huge if true.

See, I don't see that happening because Apple is first and foremost a hardware company that happens to make software, and they make crazy profits on that hardware. It is not in Apple's best interest to create a situation where someone says "I can replace these three apple devices with this one apple device!" because that means Apple makes less money.

I think there are things coming. There has to be. Stuff like Final Cut is a no brainer. redesigning some of the multitasking is something they should do. But Apple's goal is still to sell as many pieces of hardware as possible, and they won't do anything that hurts that.

• Options
    wunderbar wrote: »
    KPC wrote: »

See, I don't see that happening because Apple is first and foremost a hardware company that happens to make software, and they make crazy profits on that hardware. It is not in Apple's best interest to create a situation where someone says "I can replace these three apple devices with this one apple device!" because that means Apple makes less money.

I think there are things coming. There has to be. Stuff like Final Cut is a no brainer. redesigning some of the multitasking is something they should do. But Apple's goal is still to sell as many pieces of hardware as possible, and they won't do anything that hurts that.

While I believe that there are short-term strategic factors with regards to withholding hardware and software features, I think ultimately Apple understands that they need to self-cannibalize if they are to survive. Apple has demonstrated in the past that they're not afraid to supplant their own products with new ones, because in the long run they'll win out as long as you keep buying Apple products. If not, then they would have had zero incentive to continue experimenting with the iPod form factor and with increasing the power of the innards of the iPad considering that those are at least 2 examples of markets in which Apple has no competition.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    It's amazing how far the ipad has came honestly. Everyone was pretty sure that thing would be dead in the water when it showed up.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    At this point there is literally no reason for an iPad to have a thunderbolt port, native monitor support and 16 gigs of RAM on an Mx platform unless they were going to open it up to do a lot more this June.
    I can’t argue with that, but I really don’t think this is going to lead to either Mac OS or Mac apps on the iPad. Or at least, certainly not at WWDC this year.

Apple wouldn’t introduce such a huge feature that’s only useable on a single generation of a single tier of their iPad lineup. The M1 iPads will certainly be more than capable of running either, but I can’t imagine the overwhelming majority of iPad devices running A12* chips and with between 4-6gb of RAM will provide the sort of experience Apple would want to support.

I can absolutely see iPad versions of pro Mac apps like Xcode and FCP coming at WWDC, though.

(They could also make new versions from the ground-up that suit both devices, but I honestly think that’s less likely … even with trackpad support on iPadOS, I do think they’ll want to keep the experiences separate between the touch-first iPad and the cursor-first Mac.)

Baron Dirigible on
  • Options
    I mean, the other reason to stuff an M1 in the iPad is "boy, look at all these chips we have..." instead of trying to have more chips for different lines. If they get the power consumption/heat right, no reason to not just stuff an M-series in all their stuff. Like how the iPhones/iPads kept getting the A chips.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    I mean, the other reason to stuff an M1 in the iPad is "boy, look at all these chips we have..." instead of trying to have more chips for different lines. If they get the power consumption/heat right, no reason to not just stuff an M-series in all their stuff. Like how the iPhones/iPads kept getting the A chips.
    John Gruber shared an interesting article on this recently: https://www.extremetech.com/computing/322120-apples-m1-positioning-mocks-every-x86-cpu-amd-and-intel-have-ever-launched

I’m curious to see what pattern emerges once the M2 / M1X chips are released. There are three options, but I really don't see which is more likely:
    • The next generation of pro machines (iMac 27", Mac Pro, MBP 16") get an M1X chip, and the M2 chip appears in the next generation of consumer machines (Mac Mini, MBA, iMac 24"). I'm assuming the M2 will be faster (in some but not all areas) than the M1X, sort of like how the current iPad Air is faster than the iPad Pro 2020 in most metrics.
    • The next generation of pro machines get the M2 chip, which then appears in the next generation of consumer machines, and so for a few glorious months we have a Mac Mini running the same chipset as a Mac Pro (albeit with different amounts of RAM and probably fewer cores in the mini (although I guess that would make it a different chip?)).
    • Pro machines get an M2, consumer machines get an M1X. I guess this is closest to how the 2020 iPad got upgraded to an A12 chip after the A13 chip was released, but I think this is the most unlikely path.

Baron Dirigible on
  • Options
    John Gruber shared an interesting article on this recently: https://www.extremetech.com/computing/322120-apples-m1-positioning-mocks-every-x86-cpu-amd-and-intel-have-ever-launched

I’m curious to see what pattern emerges once the M2 / M1X chips are released. There are three options, but I really don't see which is more likely:
    • The next generation of pro machines (iMac 27", Mac Pro, MBP 16") get an M1X chip, and the M2 chip appears in the next generation of consumer machines (Mac Mini, MBA, iMac 24"). I'm assuming the M2 will be faster (in some but not all areas) than the M1X, sort of like how the current iPad Air is faster than the iPad Pro 2020 in most metrics.
    • The next generation of pro machines get the M2 chip, which then appears in the next generation of consumer machines, and so for a few glorious months we have a Mac Mini running the same chipset as a Mac Pro (albeit with different amounts of RAM and probably fewer cores in the mini (although I guess that would make it a different chip?)).
    • Pro machines get an M2, consumer machines get an M1X. I guess this is closest to how the 2020 iPad got upgraded to an A12 chip after the A13 chip was released, but I think this is the most unlikely path.

In the short term it’ll be weird, but I imagine they’ll want to go with the most current M chip in the pro models, and quote-unquote last year’s M chip in the non-pro machines. Maybe M2 in the pros, and then M2 in the non-pro machines in the same year they go to M3? Since they control the CPU pipeline now, we could see a steady June-November-like cadence like how we get a new iPhone every year around the same time.

• Options

I think part of the strategy is A) increase the efficiency of manufacturing at a larger scale and B) shifting away from having to produce an x variant on A series chips.

• Options
    I dont think they need to introduce windows to iPad OS. I think mac os apps running fullscren, which all have been able to door ages, would work great on an iPad Pro.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    I dont think they need to introduce windows to iPad OS. I think mac os apps running fullscren, which all have been able to door ages, would work great on an iPad Pro.
    I can see iPadOS versions of Mac OS apps, but not 1:1 support.

I’m not even sure how you’d emulate the menu bar on an iPad without it feeling massively out of place. And once you start looking at how they’d account for these sorts of differences in usability and control, I think it becomes pretty clear that not many apps are really well suited to just being ported wholesale between the two platforms.

I’m not saying Apple won’t do this, but I really don’t think it would be a great experience.

Baron Dirigible on
  • Options
    The closest I can see it coming is that they'll add developer tools in Xcode so you can write an app once and then compile it into applications that are applicable for each platform.

Again, just going back to the Final Cut example, I would hope that Apple would build some tools in that would allow the functions in the menu bar to be translated into something touch friendly on an iPad interface, and xcode could do this work semi-automatically.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    The closest I can see it coming is that they'll add developer tools in Xcode so you can write an app once and then compile it into applications that are applicable for each platform.

Again, just going back to the Final Cut example, I would hope that Apple would build some tools in that would allow the functions in the menu bar to be translated into something touch friendly on an iPad interface, and xcode could do this work semi-automatically.

The menu bar is a common control - I don't see why it would even need a recompile; they just need to route it to the common iPad control. Like, maybe the menu bar is replaced with a menu "action" that opens a sidebar nested listview for the menu bar actions, goes away once the action is selected. Like, swipe in from the left to open the menu.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular

That’s sort of their direction with SwiftUI. A lot of code written in SwiftUI just works across all five platforms (macOS, iOS, iPadOS/Catalyst, tvOS, watchOS), with platform-specific affordances that are ignored on the platforms that don’t support them.

It’s going to be a while before SwiftUI is the default way to do things, though.