As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

1984: I love Big [Phalla] - Day 9: Village and TrueNeverBorn victory!

• Options
    SaberOverEasySaberOverEasy Info Broker Registered User regular
    Egos wrote: »
    shalmelo wrote: »
    Delmain wrote: »
    I want to see the results of a three way tie in a Farangu phalla.

Ludicrously overpowered rocks fall; everybody dies.

Speaking of which, what's the deal with Farangu phalla? Everyone mentions it, but I don't think I know what it means. Is it like burnage phalla? Or sportz phalla?

In the past Farangu had games with overpowered villages.

Hence why newer games with similar problems get measurements of Farangus.

No wonder you gave my Durarara mini several Farangus...

I mean 4 man mason group? You might as well have just added another mafia group to your game.

My bad... >_>

Next phalla I run will be more balanced... hopefully.

Heh, it's ok. At least you didn't have a mechanic that encouraged people to stay up for 24 hours straight for your phalla.

Errr... sorry about that guys!

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular

Speaking of which, what's the deal with Farangu phalla? Everyone mentions it, but I don't think I know what it means. Is it like burnage phalla? Or sportz phalla?

I mean 4 man mason group? You might as well have just added another mafia group to your game.

My bad... >_>

Most important thing: Always be learning. Learn from others' hosting jobs, learn from your own. Keep notes on what to do and what not to do. It helps a ton

• Options
    MegafrostMegafrost Leader of the Decepticons Registered User regular

My bad... >_>

Heh, it's ok. At least you didn't have a mechanic that encouraged people to stay up for 24 hours straight for your phalla.

I'm really thankful that real life gave me an excuse to blow off that mechanic.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    I don't know, a four man-mason group isn't that OP given the size of the playerbase. It's just that we had like two other masoned groups of villagers, several methods of seering among the village, a neutral that knew everyone's alignment and a mafia group that was as big as the biggest village mason group.

• Options
    KilnagaKilnaga Registered User regular
    It looks like TRV could use another vote. :)

"The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
  • Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Based on how well it worked last time, I'm accepting applications to my 4-man mason group. Apply within.

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012

My bad... >_>

Man, I've been wanting to talk about that for a while.

Everyone gave you crap for that, but really it comes down to the fact that its just a game. You weren't forcing them to stay up all night. Who cares if you don't get gold, especially since they could just kill the gold medal winner the next day? So why get mad at a mechanic that is thematically and mechanically unique just because it is kinda hard? Do what you can and then don't worry about it if you can't.

I liked all the mechanics in your game. Still bummed I got day 1'd in that one.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    mi-go huntermi-go hunter Once again I'm back in the lab. Cleaning my knives, ready for stabs.Registered User regular
    I am thinking of creating a Darker than Black phalla for next time, with powers that come with a price. That might be interesting...

• Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    I am thinking of creating a Darker than Black phalla for next time, with powers that come with a price. That might be interesting...

pm" you must send me a link to a youtube video of you smoking a carton of cigarettes to activate your power"

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Want to seer someone? Drink the first thing you find under the sink

• Options
    mi-go huntermi-go hunter Once again I'm back in the lab. Cleaning my knives, ready for stabs.Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
  • Options
    TrueNeverbornTrueNeverborn Registered User regular
    these ideas are horrible... I want pictures!

So if you love games and I love games... Why are we not playing... **sees the forum** OOOOHHHH Yeh!
    TrueNeverBorn_sm.jpg
  • Options
    ObiFett wrote: »

My bad... >_>

Everyone gave you crap for that, but really it comes down to the fact that its just a game. You weren't forcing them to stay up all night. Who cares if you don't get gold, especially since they could just kill the gold medal winner the next day? So why get mad at a mechanic that is thematically and mechanically unique just because it is kinda hard? Do what you can and then don't worry about it if you can't.

Yeh, the mechanics weren't too terrible. I mean, I did go back and count posts and mentions through the entire thread for the last event, and I didn't complain too much. (I also love that the other teams didn't see that we slipped in and raised the scores of the last place team to lock them in place to secure our victory :P)

"The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
  • Options

pm" you must send me a link to a youtube video of you smoking a carton of cigarettes to activate your power"

I wonder how many of us wouldn't have too much of a problem activating that power. >_>

- Terence McKenna
  • Options
    Kilnaga wrote: »

I wonder how many of us wouldn't have too much of a problem activating that power. >_>

I have asthma. That would be a death sentence.

• Options

I have asthma. That would be a death sentence.

I don't know if I could do the whole carton in one sitting. Not that I'm going to sit down and try and find out.

- Terence McKenna
  • Options

All depends on what game am I playing, FPS always crank the urge to a wallet destroying height.

So if you love games and I love games... Why are we not playing... **sees the forum** OOOOHHHH Yeh!
    TrueNeverBorn_sm.jpg
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular

My bad... >_>

Just because a player will not obey the victory condition "Punch yourself in the balls" does not mean that a host should give them that victory condition.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    I needs to vote ..somebody

Malkor

• Options

My bad... >_>

Just because a player will not obey the victory condition "Punch yourself in the balls" does not mean that a host should give them that victory condition.

It wasn't a victory condition, though.

It was one way to get points in that game. And if people had just talked, I'm sure someone would want to do a deal or whatever so everyone didn't do it the hard way of staying up all night. That mechanic had so many openings for manipulation.

Additionally, if you didn't want to stay up you could just kill the person who did win.

• Options
    Sounds like a visit to Brown-town, but also sounds like it could have been a lot of fun

TrueNeverBorn_sm.jpg
  • Options
    Faction games where it is everyone vs everyone vs the mafia = not a good idea.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular

My bad... >_>

It was one way to get points in that game. And if people had just talked, I'm sure someone would want to do a deal or whatever so everyone didn't do it the hard way of staying up all night. That mechanic had so many openings for manipulation.

Additionally, if you didn't want to stay up you could just kill the person who did win.

See it's funny you mention that, because I think that having no real way to stop people from just always killing the winner and as such doing well at an activity being a bad thing was also one of the design problems of that game. :D

But I think I've covered a lot of my concerns to Saber. Pretty sure he knows that I'm up for going over it all in more detail if he wants. Plus if he asks me in private I can be a lot ruder about it. :P

liEt3nH.png
  • Options

My bad... >_>

See it's funny you mention that, because I think that having no real way to stop people from just always killing the winner and as such doing well at an activity being a bad thing was also one of the design problems of that game
    . :D

Yeah I don't think there should have been encouragement to kill medal winners. It kind of took away from some of the fun of the game imo. I think it should have been separate from the phalla aspect (so probably a forum game), or things really should have just been hidden because it was so blatantly obvious who won and was competing. It's tough, perhaps another aspect added?

I'd say it would have been better as a forum game.

• Options
    SaberOverEasySaberOverEasy Info Broker Registered User regular

My bad... >_>

See it's funny you mention that, because I think that having no real way to stop people from just always killing the winner and as such doing well at an activity being a bad thing was also one of the design problems of that game. :D

But I think I've covered a lot of my concerns to Saber. Pretty sure he knows that I'm up for going over it all in more detail if he wants. Plus if he asks me in private I can be a lot ruder about it. :P

You certainly have INANTP :P

I don't want to derail Farangu's phalla too much, so if we all really want to talk about phallympics again, we can always necro-rez the thread. I have a lot of conflicting emotions about it. Like everyone who designs a game, I put a ton into it and ended up spending a huge chunk of my life that week on it. I'm always really happy when people tell me they liked it, or really enjoyed the mechanics, because that's ultimately why I put it all together. Regardless, I think there WAS a lot of good stuff in it.

That being said, there were several design flaws with it. Having gotten a little more separation from actually running it, I can appreciate them more. INANTP has mentioned a few of them, but there are others as well. Ultimately, it ended up being a great learning experience for me. I really appreciated everyone playing and giving feedback. And the next time saber phalla rolls around, it'll be even better.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    vote close is in like 7 hours right?

• Options

My bad... >_>

fair enough.

• Options
    vote close is in like 7 hours right?

By my clock and recollection it is Obi

TrueNeverBorn_sm.jpg
  • Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Oh man oh man oh man.

I'm so out of the loop when it comes to grudges. A lot of the people that I used to day one don't even play anymore.

MegaFrost, I've never played with you before. Why this new generation of Phallaers is nothing but trouble.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    The Numbers

6 - Stever777 , TheRoadVirus
    4 - jdarksun
    1 - many

Looks like you need more votes Jdark.

- Terence McKenna
  • Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Man I had this super long post attached to my vote about the "Good ol' days" when legends walked the earth and phalla was at its high point. But then I looked at it and was like "Man this is probably the most self-indulgent thing I've ever written," and I deleted it.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    premiumpremium Registered User regular
    Man I had this super long post attached to my vote about the "Good ol' days" when legends walked the earth and phalla was at its high point. But then I looked at it and was like "Man this is probably the most self-indulgent thing I've ever written," and I deleted it.

Tell us newbs about the good ole days, Sir Fabulous.

• Options
    edited October 2012

I would love to see a 3 way tie, can't remember if I've ever seen it happen though.

TrueNeverborn on
    TrueNeverBorn_sm.jpg
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Self-indulgent?

In phalla?

Heresy.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    PsychoLarry1PsychoLarry1 Registered User regular
    As much as I'd love to post entirely in newspeak for this game, that would probably just be obnoxious and get me killed real fast. And that would be doubleplus ungood.

• Options
    edited October 2012
    6 - Stever777 , TheRoadVirus
    4 - jdarksun
    1 - many

I would love to see a 3 way tie, can't remember if I've ever seen it happen though.

The power is yours!
    captain-planet.jpg

Erin The Red on
  • Options
    Damn TRV caught my mess up, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO... ... EARTH!

TrueNeverBorn_sm.jpg
  • Options
    As much as I'd love to post entirely in newspeak for this game, that would probably just be obnoxious and get me killed real fast. And that would be doubleplus ungood.

Do it, TRV and INANTP somehow live through multiple days and they RP as far more obnoxious things most of the time.
    The power is yours!
    captain-planet.jpg

Captain Bandwagon!

- Terence McKenna
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

Oooooo, you should do that. Then an Ergo Proxy one :P

When did you join? I never remember how long people have been playing...

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile